Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This league will award a championship this year
This poll is closed.
NBA 7 7.53%
NHL 7 7.53%
MLB 31 33.33%
XFL 48 51.61%
Total: 93 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Silly Burrito posted:

They cancelled everything. The entire winter and spring seasons.

https://fansided.com/2020/03/12/college-baseball-softball-seasons-canceled-ncaa-coronavirus/

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/ncaa-cancels-remaining-winter-and-spring-championships

Today, NCAA President Mark Emmert and the Board of Governors canceled the Division I men’s and women’s 2020 basketball tournaments, as well as all remaining winter and spring NCAA championships. This decision is based on the evolving COVID-19 public health threat, our ability to ensure the events do not contribute to spread of the pandemic, and the impracticality of hosting such events at any time during this academic year given ongoing decisions by other entities.

Yes, but that doesn't cover the season, which is what he asked about. Only the championships. That said, every school is pretty much ending their seasons too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Cancel culture is getting out of hand.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Rigel posted:

Yes, but that doesn't cover the season, which is what he asked about. Only the championships. That said, every school is pretty much ending their seasons too.

Yup. My son's gf plays D1 softball. Their weekend road trip is canceled, practice is scheduled for tomorrow but the expectation is that this is the last practice.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

make players twitch stream themselves playing the video game versions of themselves

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I'm rather impressed that F1 and the Australian Grand Prix's many lawyers could stretch out canceling the race until 2-ish hours before the first practice.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/gifdsports/status/1238279242217070592?s=21

Be cautious and safe but also, you know, don’t

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Try to dismember and permanent brain damage your opponent, but for the love of God don't give them a virus.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Silly Burrito posted:

They cancelled everything. The entire winter and spring seasons.

https://fansided.com/2020/03/12/college-baseball-softball-seasons-canceled-ncaa-coronavirus/

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/ncaa-cancels-remaining-winter-and-spring-championships

Today, NCAA President Mark Emmert and the Board of Governors canceled the Division I men’s and women’s 2020 basketball tournaments, as well as all remaining winter and spring NCAA championships. This decision is based on the evolving COVID-19 public health threat, our ability to ensure the events do not contribute to spread of the pandemic, and the impracticality of hosting such events at any time during this academic year given ongoing decisions by other entities.

I read this earlier and was wondering if it's going to include baseball too... I live in Omaha and also work at a hotel... so this is quite concerning for me... CWS is like 1 of the 2 big tourist things that happens here... The other one being Berkshire shareholder meeting, which is also in doubt at the moment...

Maybe there's still hope of the Olympic swim trials this year... :(

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I read this earlier and was wondering if it's going to include baseball too... I live in Omaha and also work at a hotel... so this is quite concerning for me... CWS is like 1 of the 2 big tourist things that happens here... The other one being Berkshire shareholder meeting, which is also in doubt at the moment...

Maybe there's still hope of the Olympic swim trials this year... :(

It does, yes. The local news was pretty sad about LSU's basketball and baseball seasons, and if you're in Omaha, you know how seriously LSU treats the CWS.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Callum Hudson-Odoi of Chelsea has tested positive for Coronavirus

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
EPL is conducting "emergency meetings" Friday morning.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Edward Mass posted:

Proposal: SAS Night at the Movies

I could believe it.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/s...pagenumber%3D12

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Europe should of shut down the same day Serie A did.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

davecrazy posted:

Europe should of shut down the same day Serie A did.

It was pretty wild how they shut down serie A and then continued with Champion League and Europa games...with Italian teams

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

This sucks. It's the right choice, but I can't imagine what this must be like for the players, particularly college players.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/F1/status/1238444819623665665

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Komet posted:

This sucks. It's the right choice, but I can't imagine what this must be like for the players, particularly college players.

Don't most of them get paid in full at the start of the year? Shouldnt' affect them too much

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

kalensc posted:

Figure this might be an appropriate spot to ask this:

I coordinate a recreational sports league (adults, ultimate frisbee) and have been researching which preventative measures should be enforced and/or strongly recommended.

Last week I followed the protocols implemented by national-level organizations such as: eliminating high-five lines, reducing group huddles, barring the sharing of water bottles, providing hand sanitizer, cleaning and disinfecting discs and commonly-touched items, etc.

However I'm still concerned with the non-zero likelihood of someone being unknowingly exposed, appear to be asymptomatic, and nevertheless be contagious. I can't assume that everyone is equally informed about the symptoms, risk factors, indications that a self-quarantine is necessary, etc.

Has anyone come across statements put out by a community-based organization (local sports league, YMCA, Girl Guides, etc) which instructs its participants about self-assessing exposure and early symptoms, and determining if they should stay home?

Or if you have your own thoughts, please let me know!

I doubt this helps much, but Ultimate Chicago just put this out to its players.

quote:

With mounting concerns about COVID-19, Ultimate Chicago wants to assure our community that we are monitoring the situation closely and will take every possible precaution as new information arises. As much as possible, we will defer to the policies put forward by government and state officials such as the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and the Illinois Department of Public Health. As of now, no action will be taken in terms of canceling or postponing any leagues or events. However, the situation is rapidly evolving, and we are prepared to communicate new guidelines or actions quickly if circumstances change.

The health of our players and their families is our greatest priority. If any player currently registered for an upcoming league would like to withdraw their registration due to coronavirus concerns before the season starts, we will issue a full refund. For leagues in progress, we ask that any players experiencing symptoms of illness refrain from attending any games. If you feel that dropping out of a league may be the most appropriate choice, please contact programs@ultimatechicago.org to discuss refund/credit options. If continued updates lead us to need to cancel leagues, we will contact those signed up for the league directly.

For youth events: We strongly encourage players and teams to follow the guidelines set forth by their schools and/or districts. Please reach out to the CUJO commissioners if your ability to participate changes.

In addition, Ultimate Chicago representatives (board members and directors) reserve the right to ask anyone at an event or league to leave the field area if we deem they are putting those around them at risk. We’ll continue to follow the guidance of the CDC on identifying those high risk individuals.

Listed below are some proactive precautions we can all take:

Most importantly, if you have a respiratory illness or fever, please stay home. When self-screening, we recommend asking yourself the following questions and staying home if you answer “yes” to any:

Have you or any of your close contacts traveled to or from any high-risk areas in the past 14 days?

Do you know if you have you been in contact with someone who is suspected or confirmed as having COVID-19 in the last 14 days?

Do you have any flu-like symptoms, i.e. a fever, sore throat, headache, runny nose, etc.?

We urge players to avoid sharing water bottles, giving high fives, shaking hands, spirit circles, huddles, and touching their face. Using “air-fives” or tapping elbows is a good way to show your support or sub on the fly!

We suggest having sanitizing products so that you can clean and sanitize discs before and after use.

For anyone looking for further resources, please see the CDCand WHO websites. The Illinois Department of Public Health and the Chicago Department of Public Health also have up-to-date information for our region.

Thank you for working with us to ensure the health and safety of our community. This situation is rapidly evolving, and you can expect to hear more communication in the coming days. If you have any questions or concerns, you can reach us at programs@ultimatechicago.org.

The TLDR is things are moving forward as usual, but if you're sick stay home, and don't share water bottles. Ultimate players are full of people who are at the least amount of risk, and it's not like these things draw a crowd, so it seems like a safe position to take.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Katana_Warrior posted:

Don't most of them get paid in full at the start of the year? Shouldnt' affect them too much

They get paid regularly over the season so NHL/NBA guys should have received like 75% of their money already. Not sure how bonuses in the NBA work, but some NHL stars get significant portions of their salary paid out as signing bonus at the start of the year rather than salary, but those are the exceptions rather than the rule.

Either way, big league guys should be ok, but the lower league guys who make regular people salaries are going to feel it.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/TheMasters/status/1238465017202315264

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I am pretty sure that the players still get paid if a league voluntarily suspends operations on a temporary basis. I can't imagine any of the players associations would've been okay with things ceasing otherwise.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

ThinkTank posted:

I am pretty sure that the players still get paid if a league voluntarily suspends operations on a temporary basis. I can't imagine any of the players associations would've been okay with things ceasing otherwise.

NBA apparently does have language in the CBA that allows them to stop paying players in the event of an epidemic. Salaries would be prorated to games played

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

morestuff posted:

NBA apparently does have language in the CBA that allows them to stop paying players in the event of an epidemic. Salaries would be prorated to games played

The NHL also has it built into standard player contracts:

NHL SPC posted:

17. If because of any condition arising from a state of war or other cause beyond the control of the League or of the Club, it shall be deemed advisable by the League or the Club to suspend or cease or reduce operations, then:

(a) in the event of suspension of operations, the Player shall be entitled only to the proportion of Paragraph 1 Salary due at the date of suspension,

(b) in the event of cessation of operations, the Paragraph 1 Salary shall be automatically canceled on the date of cessation, and

(c) in the event of reduction of operations, the Paragraph 1 Salary shall be replaced by that mutually agreed upon between the Club and the Player, or, in the absence of mutual agreement, by that determined by neutral arbitration.

NHL players are paid on the 15th and 30th of each month while the regular season is going on so I guess they'll get paid this weekend and then it's on hold.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/NASCAR/status/1238489913382887430

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

So.... I guess that means the UFC (in an empty arena) is now the only live sporting event on TV this weekend? (It was going to be only on ESPN+, but after the sports world died, ESPN grabbed it)

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

Indycar just cancelled this weekend's race. Literally just UFC and Wrestlemania (in april) left

edit:
https://twitter.com/IndyCar/status/1238492687667539968
they also cancelled races at Barber (in Alabama), Long Beach, and Austin

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 13, 2020

grack
Jan 10, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

At least in the NHL, the players will still get their final paychecks but escrow will be clawed back. It's already been discussed a few times.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Peanut President posted:

Indycar just cancelled this weekend's race. Literally just UFC and Wrestlemania (in april) left

Right now

https://mobile.twitter.com/DerekKoppTV/status/1238497910070882305

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

pseudodragon posted:

They get paid regularly over the season so NHL/NBA guys should have received like 75% of their money already. Not sure how bonuses in the NBA work, but some NHL stars get significant portions of their salary paid out as signing bonus at the start of the year rather than salary, but those are the exceptions rather than the rule.

Either way, big league guys should be ok, but the lower league guys who make regular people salaries are going to feel it.

I'm talking about the college guys who get paid under the table

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/EmilyMGoldsmith/status/1238461313585680384

lol of course they did

double lol that those few tests represented 60% of the daily testing capacity. :911:

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

The Pussy Boss posted:

When's the last time a major sport cancelled their season for something other than a strike or lockout?

101 years ago:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1919_Stanley_Cup_Finals

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

grack posted:

At least in the NHL, the players will still get their final paychecks but escrow will be clawed back. It's already been discussed a few times.

Huh didn't know that, ignore me. Sucks to be them I guess (I mean to a certain extent).

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1238509246821683201

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1238518424881463297?s=21

it’s down to trump supporters dana and vince afaik

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

The XFL cancelled like 18 hours ago :confused:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Fifty Three posted:

The XFL cancelled like 18 hours ago :confused:

Wrestlemania is still on.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I was gonna make a joke about "real sports" but I don't think we're deep enough into the Offseason of Woe to warrant that argument yet

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Guys

GUYS

The Turkish Süper Lig hasn't cancelled yet. There are matches going on right now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Edward Mass posted:

Guys

GUYS

The Turkish Süper Lig hasn't cancelled yet. There are matches going on right now!

Let's all head to Bdubs to watch Fenerbache vs Antalyaspor

Edit: Also the Russian Super League, Australian A-League and Mexico's Liga MX seem to be still be on.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 13, 2020