Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've played the game three times now on the base assumption that "high number good, low number bad" and it works ok in practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
^^^ Pretty much, shields with higher defense also have higher durability

It's at least consistent that this number is a shield's defense power, just like its equivalent with weapons is their attack power. It's only the staggering effect that's not obvious.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 11, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s just frankly insane that it wouldn’t just be “the shield’s durability”. If you hadn’t posted that I’d have gone to my grave just assuming that’s what it was.

I mean, that's most of what it is, except enemies also react more strongly to more durable shields.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cardiovorax posted:

Not sure why that needs an explanation video. That's what I took away just from enemy reactions and from how quickly stuff breaks as you use it.

You're literally the only one who got that then. I think everyone just went "big number hard metal" and that was it

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Maybe it's just because I've been playing a lot of Dark Souls and kind of intuitively equated it to Stability, stat-wise, which does basically the same thing. It seems obvious in retrospect, but I guess I was kind of halfway pulling out of my rear end at the time.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I got the dirtbike, should I farm up all the spirit stones for max hearts before I go try the other DLC?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Nah, just eat a meal made with 5 hearty durians, and then a meal made with 4 attack (or defense if you prefer) boosting things and a dragon horn in front of the sword. Then save and beat your head against it until you beat it. There's not generally enough health-restoring food in the trials themselves to warrant continuously topping yourself off. It's not awful on normal mode, but the first trial is the worst of the lot for most people, including me. Set your sheikah sensor to treasure chests and when you hit a rest zone immediately crouch to walk and get the fairy(ies).

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

yall use shields to block??? i thought they were only good for surfing

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Shields are made solely for parrying lasers, imo. I will be happy if BotW2 primarily involves lasers firing at you at all times.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Agean90 posted:

yall use shields to block??? i thought they were only good for surfing
I have never managed to remember shield surfing exists during a moment where it would actually be cool or useful

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Captain Hygiene posted:

Shields are made solely for parrying lasers, imo. I will be happy if BotW2 primarily involves lasers firing at you at all times.

Katherine Zeta Jones, she dips beneath laserrrrrrrssssssssssssss

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Hygiene posted:

Ideally one could dual-shield, parrying lasers while doing sick surfing jumps and spins.

Most of what I do in BotW these days is para-shield-surfing from mountaintop shrines.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I like to shield surf out of Hateno village. And frankly all other villages. Sometimes I like to shield surf into a lake or some dumb bullshit. There’s also a good spot in the desert somewhere too

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
But, like, the rocky part of the desert.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Agreed on shield surfing being cool and all, but also

Amppelix posted:

I have never managed to remember shield surfing exists during a moment where it would actually be cool or useful

I don't think I used it a single time in my full playthrough aside from the dlc quest that features it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I do it literally every time I am going down a hill literally every time

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Agreed on shield surfing being cool and all, but also

I don't think I used it a single time in my full playthrough aside from the dlc quest that features it.

the gently caress is this get the hell out of here

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It's far enough outside the regular moveset I just forget about it :shrug:

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

You climb yourself up a big ol' mountain and you learn what this game is really about, mister.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

MokBa posted:

You climb yourself up a big ol' mountain and you learn what this game is really about, mister.
Gliding?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Hyrule Castle is for gliding off. Mountains are for sliding down.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

do you ride your horse or your shield - the great botw question

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
"Come back with your shield, or on it" has a far cheerier implication for Link than its historical use

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Something relaxing about shield surfing down a grassy hill in the rain.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I always forget Urbosa's Fury and Revali's Gale exist because I put off doing those beasts until like eighty hours into my game.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Mameluke posted:

"Come back with your shield, or on it" has a far cheerier implication for Link than its historical use

:lmao:

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I'm replaying botw after 2 years, and I think i've finally waited long enough and i'm really enjoying it again. Here goes another 300 hours of my life. Also connected my TV to a good sound system for some home theater audio to sweeten the experience.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

ChocNitty posted:

I'm replaying botw after 2 years, and I think i've finally waited long enough and i'm really enjoying it again. Here goes another 300 hours of my life.

Salut

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The best thing about the Ancient Shield is that it's a hoverboard. It moves smoothly on nearly all types of terrain, and its durability is depleted the most slowly by shield surfing out of all shield types.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Tokelau All Star posted:

I always forget Urbosa's Fury and Revali's Gale exist because I put off doing those beasts until like eighty hours into my game.

I had no idea about any of the guardian powers until after I got my first one and it immediately inspired me to go and conquer all 4 beasts before exploring the map properly.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I forgot about them (except for the passive ones) the first couple times I tried to play through, and it was a million times more fun after folks here reminded me to use them last time around. The DLC is worthwhile just to get faster recharges.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Hey kid, you ever want to leave the atmosphere and go into space?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLB8Hb_bpQE

(Turn english subs on for the tutorial)

Edit: there is a link after the video where this same guy figured out measurements for the world and it's wild

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 14, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Hey kid, you ever want to leave the atmosphere and go into space?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLB8Hb_bpQE

(Turn english subs on for the tutorial)

Translated subtitles refused to work for me, but I did enjoy the Wind Waker ocean music as Link was shield surfing down from low earth orbit

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Basically it's the horse glitch but once every 3-4 times the horse starts to float and if you restart the target game and let the horse keep floating, you can leave it be and come back a few hours later and sometimes you'll have floated out of the atmosphere. It's a chance though that you can get stuck in something.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I don’t understand anything about how that was done, even with the subtitles but I did find this hilarious

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Positioning glitch, would be my guess. I think I remember there being a similar glitch in an old Castlevania game, which basically made you pop out at the top of the map and fall down and slightly to the right until you hit an actual existing room again. It was one of the ways to get 100+% map completion.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

This is kind of off topic, but it seems like the best place to post it.

I've been trying to play through every Zelda game, like, ever. The Game and Watch game (Not hard to find, but Zelda Gamewatch has been a bitch to track down, because every place I asks thinks I'm looking for the Game and Watch), the CD-I games, whatever is possible to play and is even loosely connected to Zelda I'll play.

So the other day I found out about this game "The Frog for Whom the Bell Tolls"

Not a Zelda game, never intended to be a Zelda game, but the engine was later used as the basis for Link's Awakening. Playing through it was neat because there was so much in it that reminded me of Link's Awakening. Sprites, music that at times sounds nearly identical, etc.

The biggest similarity is the character Richard, a prince who gets turned into a frog along with his army. Hes the same guy as the Richard in Link's Awakening who has a villa full of frogs.

At the end of the game he heads out to sea with his soldiers for adventure I guess

I like to think that this means they're a part of the same universe, and the place this game takes place on is just another island far from Hyrule like Holodrum or Labrynna. And while Richard was at sea he got mixed up in the Wind Fish's dream the same way Link did. I know that's not intended, but it's a fun connection to make.

Does anyone know of any other games that have any weird connections to the Zelda series like this that I may not have heard of? Because really I thought I knew everything about Zelda but I had never heard of this game until just a couple days ago. Of course there's the tingle games and other modern spinoffs, there's stuff like Link showing up in Mario RPG, but anything connected to the Zelda series in a really weird way like this game?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

BrainDance posted:

The Frog for Whom the Bell Tolls

I don't have anything big to add but I appreciate that one, it blew my mind when I found out about it years after I first played LA. I still love the weird conglomeration of outside stuff in that game, that plus the writing really made it a huge leap forward in character & style compared to the previous games.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BrainDance posted:

This is kind of off topic, but it seems like the best place to post it.

I've been trying to play through every Zelda game, like, ever. The Game and Watch game (Not hard to find, but Zelda Gamewatch has been a bitch to track down, because every place I asks thinks I'm looking for the Game and Watch), the CD-I games, whatever is possible to play and is even loosely connected to Zelda I'll play.

So the other day I found out about this game "The Frog for Whom the Bell Tolls"

Not a Zelda game, never intended to be a Zelda game, but the engine was later used as the basis for Link's Awakening. Playing through it was neat because there was so much in it that reminded me of Link's Awakening. Sprites, music that at times sounds nearly identical, etc.

The biggest similarity is the character Richard, a prince who gets turned into a frog along with his army. Hes the same guy as the Richard in Link's Awakening who has a villa full of frogs.

At the end of the game he heads out to sea with his soldiers for adventure I guess

I like to think that this means they're a part of the same universe, and the place this game takes place on is just another island far from Hyrule like Holodrum or Labrynna. And while Richard was at sea he got mixed up in the Wind Fish's dream the same way Link did. I know that's not intended, but it's a fun connection to make.

Does anyone know of any other games that have any weird connections to the Zelda series like this that I may not have heard of? Because really I thought I knew everything about Zelda but I had never heard of this game until just a couple days ago. Of course there's the tingle games and other modern spinoffs, there's stuff like Link showing up in Mario RPG, but anything connected to the Zelda series in a really weird way like this game?

I don't have anything for you but thanks for your cool post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Cardiovorax posted:

Positioning glitch, would be my guess. I think I remember there being a similar glitch in an old Castlevania game, which basically made you pop out at the top of the map and fall down and slightly to the right until you hit an actual existing room again. It was one of the ways to get 100+% map completion.

Similar thing with mammoths in Skyrim.

If you can glitch the game into changing your race to mammoth and also bird (because they spawn at altitude) you can really enjoy the sights.