Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
my work doesn't have mandatory WFH still but I feel that's more because there's a good portion of people that can't do that anyway so why deal with the headache of saying who can and can't; basically you can just ask for permission if you have the ability to do work from home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

plus do you really want to have to go to the doctor's office or urgent care filled with covid patients when you just need a zpac for your strep throat?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
what's everyone's daily routine? i've been at it over a week now and i'm pretty settled

- get up at like 8:30, make breakfast
- work 9-12.
- make lunch, take dog around lake 12-2
- work 2-5

i'm trying to set a hard stop at 5 after the first few days going till 8 before realizing i was damned hungry.

feels sustainable, but gotta fix my ergo situation

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
um well i did about 5 minutes of actual work today if you don't count the two 30min video calls and the one 8am phone call with the uk

tomorrow i'm planning to do less

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

what's everyone's daily routine? i've been at it over a week now and i'm pretty settled

- get up at like 8:30, make breakfast
- work 9-12.
- make lunch, take dog around lake 12-2
- work 2-5

i'm trying to set a hard stop at 5 after the first few days going till 8 before realizing i was damned hungry.

feels sustainable, but gotta fix my ergo situation

- post 9-5

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DELETE CASCADE posted:

what good are antibiotics going to do against a virus efb

they’re for secondary infection you dork!!! think your coronavirus infected lungs are going to be good at fighting

also in real world cases of respiratory viral illnesses antibiotics reduce recovery time even though antibiotics are ineffective against viruses

yes .. it’s bad practice that encourages antibiotic resistance

no ... i’m not going to give a poo poo about that if I or anyone I know is unwell

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Achmed Jones posted:

plus do you really want to have to go to the doctor's office or urgent care filled with covid patients when you just need a zpac for your strep throat?

we keep a zithromax reserved for the worst cases of illness to maintain the bacterial susceptibility and yet america just tosses it around like candy :qq:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
my company is officially MANDATORY WFH for the rest of march

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
head of our organization: We encourage everyone who can, to work from home

our departmental hr: if you're going to follow the suggestion to work from home, you must fill out this long form justifying why you can, then get it approved and signed off by 3 levels of management

way to put hurdles in the way of people trying to prevent disease

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
clearly hr need to get infected

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
sometimes you have to get creative

https://twitter.com/Choplogik/status/1238246361239302144

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i remember someone pitching second life or some other bullshit as a teleconferencing thing back in 2003 or so

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
all work conferencing should be done in microsoft comic chat

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I remember people pitching poo poo similar to second life as a web browser alternative

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

rotor posted:

i remember someone pitching second life or some other bullshit as a teleconferencing thing back in 2003 or so

ibm did this a bunch, i think it was mandatory for at least some employees

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil

that's about right after tax

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

echinopsis posted:

we keep a zithromax reserved for the worst cases of illness to maintain the bacterial susceptibility and yet america just tosses it around like candy :qq:

nah normal people get amoxicillin for stuff like strep but im allergic to it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

amen

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

FMguru posted:

all work conferencing should be done in microsoft comic chat

T PANTS YES *HORK*

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil

chmods please posted:

T PANTS YES *HORK*

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
wfh day 1 update:

My ergo situation is kinda hosed right now because my home desk is slightly too high and I don't wanna adjust it, but if I use a sleeping dogge as a footrest things feel much better.

he is confused and angry though that I'm home and not providing hourly walks though.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I did some advanced math and if you start washing at “anime club dude just check your work” your hands will be clean by the end of glomp me’s verse

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

his master’s feet

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

And now for our two hour sprint planning and retrospective meeting, I’m your certified scrum-master, Mr Parrot.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
norway more or less closed down yesterday and my company is enforcing work from home. all my actual work this month is in the lab though so i'm demonstrating how busy i am by responding very fast to all my emails

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/officialmcafee/status/1238422628349743104

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
well, if anyone knows about stopping viruses........

:thunk:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

office closed. mandatory wfh

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

yay

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
sounds like we’ll be transitioning to wfh next week, which amazes me. I’m already good to go, but pretty much no one else at the office has bothered setting up the necessary remote desktops.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
we were told to work from home but i suck at working from home, i just end up drunk at noon.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

my home computer is better than my work computer and I’ll also be working on my resume and doing homework :evilbuddy:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
my work computer is actually pretty powerful, better than my home machine. 64gb of ram, threadripper, massive gpu for some reason, despite the fact that i run i3wm.

i much rather use it then wfh.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i got a new work machine a few years ago and they picked a surface pro 4. :(

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

please do not post racist boomer poo poo even ironically thanks

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
we're at pretty much mandatory wfh for people with kids here since schools will be closed starting Monday and we expect to have to go full wfh at any time now

the logistics are a mess tho:

- using remote desktop with remotefx steaming works well but if the govt forces us to fully close offices it might mean we can't even have a support person at the office to do things like rebooting a crashed pc (like mine freezes or bsod once a day lately, yay)

- some people with kids don't think that having their kids home but without access to the family pc most of the time (if they need it to work remotely) will work out (and what if your signifcant other also needs a pc to wfh?)

- taking our pc homes means that people without a good internet connection are boned when it comes to upgrading our branches data from perforce since they are huge (our game's map is based on parametric procedural generation with manual edits layered on top, the procedural generation runs every night and shits out a massive amount of data into perforce)

- corporate hasn't greenlighted taking our machines home anyway

the imminent huh
Apr 6, 2016

my employer is really dragging their feet and HR is avoiding making any announcements the best they can

today's update was: "All new intranet updates regarding covid-19 will hereafter be colored yellow." great. thank you, that was all the information i needed for the weekend, while schools around the company are being closed and some employees are already quarantined. also most of our production lines will grind to a halt, as the neighboring countries are basically closed and most of our suppliers are closing their warehouses

i've been WFH for most of the week and will just pick up my monitor and keyboard from the office this evening. gently caress you and gently caress your yellow highlighted slow-rear end useless updates. at least i can WFH just by notifying my supervisor, no need for HR acceptance

wife is also mandatory WFH, will be interesting to see how our 4G connection here in the middle of nowhere will handle the traffic

edit: ooh, a second announcement, about VPN possibly not being able to handle all the simultaneous connections. nice.

the imminent huh fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 13, 2020

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

President Beep posted:

i got a new work machine a few years ago and they picked a surface pro 4. :(
ahahahaha

beeped again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson