Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I don't even know what's agency work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Like temp agencies. No benefits, but otherwise comparable pay, and often a company thats looking for a temp is understaffed, and it's much easier to hire the temp that's been doing the job for a while than someone else.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
tbh, I want to get the game, but I can't for another year.

Yay exclusivity deals!

Well, at least I'll be able to see how they plan to do the whole episodic thing by then.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

It being Playstation exclusive makes more sense than most other exclusives. FF7 was supposed to be on a Nintendo system, but there was fallout between Nintendo and Squaresoft over cartridges vs. discs. So they partnered with Sony instead, and then had their most successful game with them.

kman3022
Mar 13, 2020
One can only hope that they manage to maintain the beauty of the original materia system

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I don't even know what's agency work.

I did it while at uni. Basically you're cannon fodder, but the pay is ok for what you have to do. You sign up to an agency in town, and they ring you and tell you to go to X company for a week or so, doing simple tasks such packing or bottling. In the UK they're called temps. Most temps are from abroad, as its a quick and easy way to find work.

It's dreaded zero hours contracts but you almost always get your 40.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Someone brought up Iscar Matthias and its attendant retranslation a while ago and it made me think about Reeve (and Cait Sith) in the remake, and how they seem to be going all-in on showing Reeve more prominently as being "the good guy/voice of reason in the Shinra boardroom" from what we've seen so far.

Some people's stated problems with Cait were that he joins for no reason, the party has no reason to trust him, and the whole betrayal thing. With the recasting of AVALANCHE's role in the reactor explosion to be minimalised (although they absolutely did intend for it to be a big explosion, hence booking it out of the place) showing that SE isn't afraid of tinkering with plot points a little, might we see Reeve just... openly admit he's a high ranking Shinra employee but one who wants to help them, and the robot is plausible deniability? And then the inevitable betrayal is reworked to "someone hacked my robot cat/Tseng blackmailed me" or whatever?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Unless there's more scenes of it, that doesn't sound much different from the original. Reeve was the only one who spoke out against the plate being dropped.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I really don't think Reeve would have a motivation to help you at that point anyway. Sure, he's against all the Shinra atrocities, but he has no reason to be against Mako power itself, nor does he have a reason to believe that this small band of terrorists (who blow up reactors and kill innocents, as far as he knows) can reasonably take down Shinra. If anything he'd want to actually find the supposed Promised Land with tons of Mako in order to help the people with cheaper energy or whatever.

It's only after he starts traveling with you that he learns about the lifestream and stuff.

Edit: IE: he disagrees with Shinra's methods, not necessarily their goals.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 13, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Clarste posted:

I really don't think Reeve would have a motivation to help you at that point anyway. Sure, he's against all the Shinra atrocities, but he has no reason to be against Mako power itself, nor does he have a reason to believe that this small band of terrorists (who blow up reactors and kill innocents, as far as he knows) can reasonably take down Shinra. If anything he'd want to actually find the supposed Promised Land with tons of Mako in order to help the people with cheaper energy or whatever.

It's only after he starts traveling with you that he learns about the lifestream and stuff.

Edit: IE: he disagrees with Shinra's methods, not necessarily their goals.

Having been replaying the original, when you get to Cosmo Canyon Caith Sith says it's been a long time since he's been there. So Reeve went there at least once, maybe with Professor Gast.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

ItBreathes posted:

Like temp agencies. No benefits, but otherwise comparable pay, and often a company thats looking for a temp is understaffed, and it's much easier to hire the temp that's been doing the job for a while than someone else.

How do you find a temp agency?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Sneak Lemming posted:

How do you find a temp agency?

Unhelpfully, Google. The big one in town was a known entity to me well before I needed their services, but it looks like they're regional. If you look up "[city name] temp agency" I have to imagine it'll let you know what's around.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Someone brought up Iscar Matthias and its attendant retranslation a while ago and it made me think about Reeve (and Cait Sith) in the remake, and how they seem to be going all-in on showing Reeve more prominently as being "the good guy/voice of reason in the Shinra boardroom" from what we've seen so far.

Some people's stated problems with Cait were that he joins for no reason, the party has no reason to trust him, and the whole betrayal thing. With the recasting of AVALANCHE's role in the reactor explosion to be minimalised (although they absolutely did intend for it to be a big explosion, hence booking it out of the place) showing that SE isn't afraid of tinkering with plot points a little, might we see Reeve just... openly admit he's a high ranking Shinra employee but one who wants to help them, and the robot is plausible deniability? And then the inevitable betrayal is reworked to "someone hacked my robot cat/Tseng blackmailed me" or whatever?

Reeve went against Shinra in Before Crisis, when President Shinra was in charge. In FFVII he continues his dislike/distrust of President Shinra until his death. He sees Rufus Shinra as a true leader and happily goes along with his orders (spying on Cloud and co.) until Cloud goes missing after the events at the North Crater and he decides to save Barret and Tifa from execution instead.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

They need to do something with Cait Sith, anyway. The elements for a good character are there, but they're just all over the place in the first disc, and don't pay off until the end of the second disc.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Personally I hope they re-work the idea that Reeve is an "Inspire" who can breathe life into inanimate objects, not just Cait Sith, as was the original draft for the character.

Hell, I just wanna know why he rented a room at the Honeybee Inn for his parents, in order to spy on them(!)

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

Dell_Zincht posted:

Hell, I just wanna know why he rented a room at the Honeybee Inn for his parents, in order to spy on them(!)

Reeve is just a simple pervert who wants to each his mum and dad bone down, all the rest is elaborate window dressing to cover up that fact

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Didn't Jessie mention in the remade first bombing mission that they have a contact in Shinra? I was thinking that could be Reeve.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Viridiant posted:

Didn't Jessie mention in the remade first bombing mission that they have a contact in Shinra? I was thinking that could be Reeve.

I doubt that, Reeve was a spy whose cover wasn't revealed until he blackmailed the party at the gold saucer much later on.
My guess is that the undercover contact is a character new to the remake. My other super long-shot guess? The major of Midgar who was sick of Shinra (and gave Cloud free stuff during his break-in to the headquarters) in the original

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Dell_Zincht posted:

Personally I hope they re-work the idea that Reeve is an "Inspire" who can breathe life into inanimate objects, not just Cait Sith, as was the original draft for the character.

Would be neat, but then you'd wonder why there aren't more people with this power around.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The undercover Shinra agent is only named Mr. Matthias, and it's only in an optional cutscene at the end of the game if you backtrack to Shinra headquarters do you learn his first name is Iscar.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Would be neat, but then you'd wonder why there aren't more people with this power around.
Or make use of Manipulate.

Priestly
Apr 26, 2008

Viridiant posted:

I don't remember her saying that, was it missable? If you're referring to the dialogue before the elevator ride, it sounds like Jessie was talking about getting information from other parts of Avalanche that didn't join Barret's crew when they split.
Dialogue from the demo below, spoilered just in case.

EN dub posted:

"It's a good thing I know someone who can get us the passcodes. Pity that no one else at command will talk to us, but what can you do?"

JP dub (rough translation) posted:

"A comrade from the splinter group got us the information on the passcodes. Or I guess the splinter group would be us; we had a falling out over our plan of action."

As an aside, I played through the Japanese version first and thought people were overreacting about the grunting noises the characters do while moving around. Turns out the English localization team decided to make them about three times louder or something because they're definitely much more noticeable in the dub. I kinda hope they decide to fix it for whatever reason because the localization is pretty enjoyable otherwise but that detail bugs the hell out of me.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Priestly posted:

I played through the Japanese version first and thought people were overreacting about the grunting noises the characters do while moving around. Turns out the English localization team decided to make them about three times louder or something because they're definitely much more noticeable in the dub.

I'm dying here.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Hey Chip Cheezum did a stream/tutorial of the demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00Ix_429YbM

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Priestly posted:

I don't remember her saying that, was it missable? If you're referring to the dialogue before the elevator ride, it sounds like Jessie was talking about getting information from other parts of Avalanche that didn't join Barret's crew when they split.
Dialogue from the demo below, spoilered just in case.

This is what I was thinking of, thanks! You're right.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Terper posted:

Hey Chip Cheezum did a stream/tutorial of the demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00Ix_429YbM

Is he still on SA?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Is he still on SA?

Nah, he (and a bunch of others) left ages ago when voidburger (and maybe others?) got in a Twitter spat with lowtax.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Sapozhnik posted:

See this is why I'm looking forward to Trials of Mana. It's the exact same game as the original but in 3d and with voice acting and also on every platform because the graphics are nice and simple. No ridiculously high ambitions or expectations to inevitably fall short of.
Well, I was interested in this until learning they left out co-op just because it didn't fit the camera view they wanted.

So it's back to waiting for the Crystal Chronicles remake!

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Jackard posted:

Well, I was interested in this until learning they left out co-op just because it didn't fit the camera view they wanted.

So it's back to waiting for the Crystal Chronicles remake!

Eh, I never played it Co-Op to begin with.

Definitely plan on picking that one up.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

ItBreathes posted:

Nah, he (and a bunch of others) left ages ago when voidburger (and maybe others?) got in a Twitter spat with lowtax.

drat, his stuff is cool.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

MonsieurChoc posted:

drat, his stuff is cool.

You can just go to the site he went to or sub to his youtube channel it's not hard to see his videos

it's not like he fell of the face of the planet he just stopped using SA because lowtax is a dumb rear end in a top hat some times (a lot of the time (all the time))

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

You can just go to the site he went to or sub to his youtube channel it's not hard to see his videos

it's not like he fell of the face of the planet he just stopped using SA because lowtax is a dumb rear end in a top hat some times (a lot of the time (all the time))

I'm already subscribed to his channel, I'll just miss the threads.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm already subscribed to his channel, I'll just miss the threads.

Voidburger started a new site at the time, lp.zone, I don't know if they still do threads or its all youtube, I never really checked it out, but if there are threads for C&I LPs they're probably there.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

VB didn't start that site, it was another person (also I think Chip just got too busy to post updates on SA and his site, since he still did another thread or two for a few LPs afterwards?).

anyhow i don't even have a ps4 and need to keep playing through og 7, but the remake demo looks so good!! :dance: personally i'm excited to see Touch Mes in HD; what enemies are people looking forward to seeing?

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Booky posted:

what enemies are people looking forward to seeing?

This first installment:

Hell House (rumoured to now be a Boss Fight), Brain Pod, Eligor, Mighty Grunt (especially the transformation when they lose their "shells"), Warning Board.

Next installments:

Adamantaimai, Grangalan, Ghirofelgo, Ying/Yang, Dorky Face, Dark/Blue Dragons, Ghost Ship, Head Hunter, Magic Pot, Master Tonberry, Toxic Frog, Scissors and of course, all the Weapons.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
very excited to see the party frogg'd in HD

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Dell_Zincht posted:

This first installment:

Hell House (rumoured to now be a Boss Fight), Brain Pod, Eligor, Mighty Grunt (especially the transformation when they lose their "shells"), Warning Board.

Next installments:

Adamantaimai, Grangalan, Ghirofelgo, Ying/Yang, Dorky Face, Dark/Blue Dragons, Ghost Ship, Head Hunter, Magic Pot, Master Tonberry, Toxic Frog, Scissors and of course, all the Weapons.

I've been thinking a lot about how the weapons were designed after gundam mobile suits, and I've been wondering:
Should the Weapons look more mechanical, or more organic now that we will be able to see more of what they look like?

I don't remember if they confirmed in an interview if they did take inspiration from gundam or its just fan theory.

Snail Information fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 15, 2020

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Organic for sure. They're visually modeled after mechs, but they're spiritual successors of kaiju. Making them into robots would kinda ruin the point of them. Besides, the Proud Clod is already around to represent giant robots.

Also, you should probably timg that.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Barring anything else popping up, it appears the fastest Guard Scorpion can be killed is 2:16
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp2NIknL41c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Sneak Lemming posted:

I've been thinking a lot about how the weapons were designed after gundam mobile suits, and I've been wondering:
Should the Weapons look more mechanical, or more organic now that we will be able to see more of what they look like?

I don't remember if they confirmed in an interview if they did take inspiration from gundam or its just fan theory.

While the inspiration is obvious, making them more mechanical would make no sense, as they are the defense system of the planet.