Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

In the U.S.A we reward them!

"Betsy Devos secretary of education" : wife of Amway CEO, her dad was blackwater's CEO

Blackwater CEO was her brother, Erik Prince.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Inceltown posted:

The sort of person who believed them before saw the conviction as vindication for just how right they are and that the state is trying to hold him back. So no people aren't loving morons they're worse than that.

I get a lot of mileage out of the phrase "willfully dense"

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Blackwater CEO was her brother, Erik Prince.

Betsy and Erik’s dad created The Prince Corporation (manufacturing) and co-founded the Family Research Council, so he can burn in Hell.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Inceltown posted:

I've been reading more on taxes since this post and it seems like the amount should have been $420 not $1,000. The correct number will be used going forward.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean you. I meant the person thinking tenants don't pay taxes.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Spent a bunch of time bingeing John Oliver today, and this episode on psychics reminded me of this thread. They're loving con-artists that prey on desperate people who are just looking for a shred of hope or closure in their life, and I despise them.

Also, if you enjoy a side order of schadenfreude: oofah, there's some delicious footage of a few getting called out on their hot garbage to their faces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhMGcp9xIhY

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
You know what my favorite loving scam is? I see it in every goddamn loving issue of Popular Science I get, a big two goddamn page spread for the loving John Ellis Water Machine.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/1238110096334479364

These loving people, man.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Does that only work if you watched it live

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

bird with big dick posted:

It works equally well however you watch it!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Spent a bunch of time bingeing John Oliver today, and this episode on psychics reminded me of this thread. They're loving con-artists that prey on desperate people who are just looking for a shred of hope or closure in their life, and I despise them.

Also, if you enjoy a side order of schadenfreude: oofah, there's some delicious footage of a few getting called out on their hot garbage to their faces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhMGcp9xIhY

Woah. Long Island psychic is real? I thought that was just a really random SNL skit.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

bird with big dick posted:

You have to give him like $1000, but given the cost of healthcare in the U.S. that’s a great deal!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

You have to give him like $1000, but given the cost of healthcare in the U.S. that’s a great deal!

Yeah it only works if you send him money

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

D34THROW posted:

You know what my favorite loving scam is? I see it in every goddamn loving issue of Popular Science I get, a big two goddamn page spread for the loving John Ellis Water Machine.

I think that website design just gave me cancer of the eyes.

Also, as someone who lost her mom to cancer, quacks like this have taught me how to independently move my toes so I can flip them the bird with all four of my appendages simultaneously.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

My parents used to love this poo poo. They managed to catch the wave of American evangelism that hit the U.K. in the early/mid nineties, even back then I thought these fuckers were crooked.

Due to all of this I’m somehow cursedly aware of the existence of the Bakkers and Kenneth Copeland. loving charlatans.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

quidditch it and quit it posted:

My parents used to love this poo poo. They managed to catch the wave of American evangelism that hit the U.K. in the early/mid nineties, even back then I thought these fuckers were crooked.

Due to all of this I’m somehow cursedly aware of the existence of the Bakkers and Kenneth Copeland. loving charlatans.

I remember making a lot of jokes about Tammy Faye Bakker’s makeup as an elementary school kid whenever I’d see her on TV or in print.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Dave Barry posted:

MARCH 30 - In an illegal industrial waste dump somewhere in Louisiana, lightning strikes two adjacent putrid pools of festering corrosive toxic slime, setting off a bizarre chain of chemical reactions that cause the pools first to bubble, then slowly, horrifyingly, to solidify and pulsate upward, gradually forming themselves into shapes that, in the ghastly light of the flickering electrical storm, appear almost human. ''Hi!'' they shriek cheerfully, into the swampland emptiness. ''We`re Jim and Tammy Faye!''

He might not have been making this up.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Midjack posted:

I remember making a lot of jokes about Tammy Faye Bakker’s makeup as an elementary school kid whenever I’d see her on TV or in print.

E.g.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Fruits of the sea posted:

Woah. Long Island psychic is real? I thought that was just a really random SNL skit.

My co-worker is her cousin, and he will staunchly defend her in the face of reality.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

toplitzin posted:

My co-worker is her cousin, and he will staunchly defend her in the face of reality.

I used to work for the production company that manages her tours. She moves so much merchandise.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Midjack posted:

"The Eyes of Tammy Faye" is a pretty good documentary that, as I recall (I saw it 20 years ago), actually makes you kinda sorta sympathetic towards her by the end. Like I wanna say she kinda got sucked into Jim Bakker's hot charismatic nonsense just as much as any of the other rubes he takes advantage of, I felt somewhat sorry for her after watching it.

The part I do distinctly recall, which is why your post made me remember watching it, was her candidly showing how she puts her makeup on. She never actually took any off that mascara off, she just added a new layer on every day. Like, there is a fossil record of makeup coating her eyelashes.

Anyways, it's narrated by RuPaul, and looks like you can get it on Amazon and Netflix, if you're quarantined and looking for an interesting watch to pass the time. Heck, I might watch it again, I don't think my husband's seen it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

About a month or two I started getting the occasional obvious text spam on my phone promoting "girls in your area" kind of BS. You know the junk: "horny lady near you" with garbled junk to get past spam filters.

They just seem even more pathetic now that everyone is quarantining and self-isolating.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Alkydere posted:

About a month or two I started getting the occasional obvious text spam on my phone promoting "girls in your area" kind of BS. You know the junk: "horny lady near you" with garbled junk to get past spam filters.

They just seem even more pathetic now that everyone is quarantining and self-isolating.

I've gotten several telespam calls; I suppose one upside to this is those hives will get cleaned out pretty rapidly though the robocalls will persist.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Midjack posted:

I've gotten several telespam calls; I suppose one upside to this is those hives will get cleaned out pretty rapidly though the robocalls will persist.

lmao if you think that the sort of person running these things is going to shut down. If anything they'll ramp up now people are freaking out and more likely to be available to take a call. Scammers will be loving the chaos.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
I've already read an article about scammers calling people, pretending to be from the CDC, and asking for credit card #s to "reserve your COVID vaccine." I'm guessing it's particularly effective with older adults.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Whoo, man, this thread is gonna be really rich in content in the next few months

I take no joy in this reality

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Inceltown posted:

lmao if you think that the sort of person running these things is going to shut down. If anything they'll ramp up now people are freaking out and more likely to be available to take a call. Scammers will be loving the chaos.

Eventually they’ll run out of people. The callers are crammed into those places nuts to butts and lmao if you think the owners are going to spend a dime on cleaning them. One person brings it in and it’s depopulated in ten days.

But yeah, until they’re knee deep in the dead they’ll certainly take advantage of panic. I got a robot telling me my electricity was going to be disconnected for lack of payment a few hours ago. I haven’t missed a bill since I started paying them.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

hyperhazard posted:

I've already read an article about scammers calling people, pretending to be from the CDC, and asking for credit card #s to "reserve your COVID vaccine." I'm guessing it's particularly effective with older adults.

gently caress

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Why have fake car warranty scams grown so much recently? I get 3-4 calls a week.

Hell, I even get 1-2 a month in the mail.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

hyperhazard posted:

I’m gonna try it on my dad

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Where the gently caress to put this...? Where?

I'm gonna cross post it here and in the right wing media thread but why am I hearing Dr. loving Phil of all people on radio ads lecturing me on what to do in the wake of a pandemic? As far as I recall, he's not even a real doctor. I've been tuning into some light conversation with sports radio and every 15 minutes I'm hearing advice from a reality TV day time talk show host.

Cant wait for some PPV specials letting us know what the Kardashians are doing through all of this or what famous people Dr. Drew might be treating. Why do we do this?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm gonna cross post it here and in the right wing media thread but why am I hearing Dr. loving Phil of all people on radio ads lecturing me on what to do in the wake of a pandemic? As far as I recall, he's not even a real doctor. I've been tuning into some light conversation with sports radio and every 15 minutes I'm hearing advice from a reality TV day time talk show host.

Cant wait for some PPV specials letting us know what the Kardashians are doing through all of this or what famous people Dr. Drew might be treating. Why do we do this?

Dr Phil is probably spitting out more sense than Orange Man. There are a whole bunch of heads of state now saying dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed, number must go up so olds must die.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. Phil has a Ph. D in clinical psychology. Clinical psychologists with Ph. Ds are usually called “Dr.” in a treatment setting.

But he isn’t a medical doctor, and has no more training in infectious disease than a Ph. D in art history.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Inceltown posted:

Dr Phil is probably spitting out more sense than Orange Man. There are a whole bunch of heads of state now saying dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed, number must go up so olds must die.

To be fair, my rear end in a top hat spits out more sense about affairs than orange man.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Mustached Demon posted:

To be fair, my rear end in a top hat spits out more sense about affairs than orange man.

Is your arsehole orange though? (And is it mustached?)

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

BiggerBoat posted:

I guess I haven't heard these ads, so I don't know if they're legit PSAs or someone trying to sell poo poo, but using celebrities in ads is definitely a thing. Using a "trusted" celebrity who goes by Dr. Whatever and whose career is focused on giving people advice will lend credibility to your message.

People trust this idiot. Right or wrong, the honorific of Dr. makes him trustworthy, even if he's not a proper MD. The public will more likely listen to a household name like Dr. Phil as opposed a real MD they've never heard of.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Crossposting this from some of the coronathreads because this somehow slipped past my spam filter into my actual inbox and this is an appropriate thread for it.

I asked WTF this is (rhetorically) and somebody prophesized:

Hazo posted:

Oils. It’s always oils.

Going to the link like the dumbass I was for amusement brought me to this. See if you find what is wrong.

An excerpt that tells you all you need to know.

quote:

While people are rushing to buy toilet paper, sanitizer, water and food in preparations for a possible "self-quarantine", Jamie has been stocking up on a product called Pure Herbal Total Defense Immunity Blend. The herbal oil blend is an essential oil blend of several high potency oils that are claimed to kill germs and viruses among other health benefits.

The claims aren't exactly unfounded. After doing our research one of the main oils in the blend is Eucalyptus. Eucalyptus Oil can help fight off bacteria and viruses, though it isn’t effective as an antifungal essential oil. It has been proven to be able to effectively kill 22 types of harmful bacteria, like E. coli and Staphylococcus aureus.

It has also been proven to be effective against a number of viruses, particularly the swine flu (H1N1) and herpes type 1 (HSV1) viruses. Could it also kill the 2020 Coronavirus?

We asked researcher James Murdock what his thoughts where on the subject. "Actually, while we haven’t studied the direct effect of the oil on the COVID-19 disease, it is plausible that it could have the ability to kill the virus on contact." He went on to say that "since Pure Herbal Total Defense Immunity Blend appears to also have cinnamon, clove, lemon, lime, rosemary, peppermint, spearmint and oregano oils, that it could be considered a very strong product as the first line of defense against an outbreak in your home."

:golgo:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/DaviePolice/status/1240999062259863554

There are also reports of phone scams to reserve your place in the testing/vaccine line.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Wow, an honest-to-god "One Weird Trick Discovered by a Mom - Doctors Hate Her!"

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

hyperhazard posted:

Doctors Hate Her!"

Finally, truth in advertising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

I think it will surprise nobody to learn that no one named James Murdock has published any research papers in the fields of microbiology, epidemiology, or public health.