Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

snoremac posted:

Is Microsoft Store/Xbox Beta crap with game downloads for anyone else? It'll download for one minute before an error occurs (apparently losing connection to the server, but I have no issues with Steam or anything else). I've tried looking stuff up online (clearing the cache, resetting the apps) but it still is poo poo. Any ideas?

You only need the Xbox Beta to start the downloads, from there on it's all Microsoft Store. Beyond inconsistent download speeds, I definitely had other problems with at times. Some were fixed by restarting Windows. The ones were nothing seemed to work were solved by updating Windows first and then the apps.

It's also weird with free DLC, to the point where it might be better to just wait with downloading those until you've finished downloading the game itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

It might not seem that way if you just look at the map, but it's actually fairly linear. There's generally only one direction that you really can go, with maybe a short detour into another direction, but you'll be unable to continue fairly quickly. By and large, the game is fairly good about funnelling you where you need to go.

I wish it was less linear tbh but it does a good of job feeling open. It also seems like the kind of game that would have some cool sequence breaks if you know what you are doing.

Hollow Knight spoiled me on metroidvania openness.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

Hollow Knight spoiled me on metroidvania
How bad is Ori 2 when it comes to giant spiders? Ori 1 had them but they were fairly inoffensive, but last page had a Deepnest comparison and those foreground effects still make me jump every single time.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Andrast posted:

I wish it was less linear tbh but it does a good of job feeling open. It also seems like the kind of game that would have some cool sequence breaks if you know what you are doing.

Hollow Knight spoiled me on metroidvania openness.
Yeah, it does feel very open because the areas are so big and let you move around them so freely. There's a fairly set sequence in which you need to go through the areas, is more what I meant. If you can't progress in a direction, you are probably not doing anything wrong, you aren't supposed to be there yet.

anilEhilated posted:

How bad is Ori 2 when it comes to giant spiders? Ori 1 had them but they were fairly inoffensive, but last page had a Deepnest comparison and those foreground effects still make me jump every single time.
Haven't found any yet, so arachnophobes should be good. There's a blurry jumpy thing that looks a bit like a spider, but I think it's actually a praying mantis.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

anilEhilated posted:

It has a good number of those same hanging spider enemies from the first game, as well as a couple of spiders that crawl along the ground. It also has a house-sized giant spider boss. That particular area is also chock full of bugs and bug parts of all sorts, and is even darker than the area it takes inspiration from.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

If you're an arachnophobe, the Moulderwood Depths may be worse for you than Deepnest

edit: Also wrt open-ness, once you hit a certain point of the game you can go to three different areas in any order you choose, with each having items that require the other areas' powers. So it's definitely more open than the first game. There's also at least one completely optional zone that basically only serves as a fun diversion.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I accidentally glitched myself on top of the left part of the watery area and was very confused when something about the cutscene it gave me just didn't seem quite right. :v:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

I accidentally glitched myself on top of the left part of the watery area and was very confused when something about the cutscene it gave me just didn't seem quite right. :v:

I've broken two cutscenes so far by coming from somwhere the game didn't expect me to

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Mierenneuker posted:

You only need the Xbox Beta to start the downloads, from there on it's all Microsoft Store. Beyond inconsistent download speeds, I definitely had other problems with at times. Some were fixed by restarting Windows. The ones were nothing seemed to work were solved by updating Windows first and then the apps.

It's also weird with free DLC, to the point where it might be better to just wait with downloading those until you've finished downloading the game itself.
Thanks, I'll give updating a shot.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Triarii posted:

It has a good number of those same hanging spider enemies from the first game, as well as a couple of spiders that crawl along the ground. It also has a house-sized giant spider boss. That particular area is also chock full of bugs and bug parts of all sorts, and is even darker than the area it takes inspiration from.

SirSamVimes posted:

If you're an arachnophobe, the Moulderwood Depths may be worse for you than Deepnest

God, I don't usually freak out about bugs but the packs of spiny cicada things that serve as wall spikes in the Depths were just right for making my skin crawl.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Ori 2 difficulty feels a bit weird. Some platforming parts are ridiculously easy (helped a lot by the fact that spikes don't kill you/reset you back to the last safe ground, so with a lot of health you can just brute force your way past spiky areas) while others are really hard (anything that requires redirecting a multiple times).

And then there are the chase sequences, where a single mistake sets you back several minutes. It was the most hated part of Ori 1, why did you bring them back in 2? The monsters that chase you are way too close for any breathing room, and they seem to rubberband so doing well at the start of a chase means gently caress all.

(I still like the game, but those parts have made me close to ragequitting)

ymgve fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Mar 13, 2020

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Ori 2s escape sequences are pretty short compared to 1s at least.

Ori 2 is real fuckin good. Just refines everything from Ori 1. Combat is better, exploring is better and the soundtrack and environments are amazing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the chase sequences in ori 1 owned don't @ me

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I liked Ori 1's chases but they did have some frustrating gotchas that Ori 2 is much better about avoiding

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

My least favourite part of Ori 2 so far is the first boss fight against Howler. You aren't quite used to the controls yet, his pattern starts out feeling very confusing and as a final little annoyance, you also have to do the entire preceeding chase sequence over again every time he kills you. Doesn't matter that it's incredibly short, the checkpoint should have been at the end of it, not at the start.

It gets a lot better after that, but wow, that's not the greatest way to sell people on your game.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
It's still in alpha, but has anyone played Serin Fate? I'm reading it as a cross between Stardew Valley and Pokemon, but I can't figure it out yet. I should probably just reinstall Stardew unless this has something majorly different?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I haven't died once to the chase sequences in Ori 2 so I'm a bit disappointed in them since they don't seem have any optional collectables on the way. The ones in Ori 1 were really fun and challenging if you went for the optional goodies.

Not having a checkpoint at the end of them if there's a boss sounds pretty dumb though.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

To jump on the Ori train, it REALLY paled in comparison when I played it after wrapping up Hollow Knight.

Echoing what others said- The thing I remember most from the game is, sadly, the annoying gotchas during the escape sequences. They totally broke the amazing movement and flow that the platforming provided elsewhere.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

Any competitive multiplayer game can be chill if you just play with voice + party chat disabled and think of your teammates as slightly more advanced MeatSims.

this guy gets it

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Wow, so apparently if you went left instead of right at the very start of Ori 2, you actually learns a completely new interaction - "hold Shift to move objects". Is that a 1-time thing, or would you actually encounter it again later? I just randomly decide to start after discovering that Ori 2 is a lot more non-linear than the 1st one, just to confirm what are the paths that I'm missing.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's not used too often, always with levers or those really obvious squarish blocks.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 13, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It does come up every so often, but not terribly much. There is one notable puzzle fairly early on that involves some moving platforms and creative block pushing, which was fairly neat. It is also the button you need to press in order to pull levers and such.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Really liking all the minor platforming skips in Ori 2. Using the midair upward attack with the hammer can act as an additional jump if you roll out of it at the top, I must have used it about 20 times already to get to places slightly out of reach. Nothing sequence breaking as far as story progression goes but there have been a few times where I've been able to circumvent the intended way of getting various powerups.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

State of Decay 2 went from "unlocking in an hour" to "Coming Soon" and you would not believe how angry people are on the forums, my god. There's everything from demanding refunds to claiming it's canceled and blah blah blah

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

StrixNebulosa posted:

State of Decay 2 went from "unlocking in an hour" to "Coming Soon" and you would not believe how angry people are on the forums, my god. There's everything from demanding refunds to claiming it's canceled and blah blah blah

I think that (Coming Soon) is what happens when the developer set time and date for release goes by without the developer actually pushing the Big Red Button, so the game is in a weird state where it's supposed to be released, but the game data isn't active on Steam yet

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Why the gently caress does an EA version of a card-based wargame need a third-party account?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/931950/Labyrinth_The_War_on_Terror/

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It does make me wonder why. The game has been available on PC for ages already, after all. It's just the distribution platform that opens up.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

exquisite tea posted:

Any competitive multiplayer game can be chill if you just play with voice + party chat disabled and think of your teammates as slightly more advanced MeatSims.

I hardly ever play multiplayer games but when I do its either this or party chat with IRL friends. Never turn on voice chat with randos, it's the pits!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

SelenicMartian posted:

Why the gently caress does an EA version of a card-based wargame need a third-party account?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/931950/Labyrinth_The_War_on_Terror/

:eyepop: Hopefully Labyrinth will lead to ports of the COIN games! I’ve been wanting to try these out for ages, but it’s difficult to justify GMT prices when my friends don’t want to play something that heavy.

E: It says right there that the “third-party account” is for Playdek’s online multiplayer.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 13, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

owl_pellet posted:

I hardly ever play multiplayer games but when I do its either this or party chat with IRL friends. Never turn on voice chat with randos, it's the pits!

I very rarely deal with assholes on voice chat. I always leave it on so I can listen to the Jerry Springer poo poo some people with hot mics have going on.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Stickman posted:

:eyepop: Hopefully Labyrinth will lead to ports of the COIN games! I’ve been wanting to try these out for ages, but it’s difficult to justify GMT prices when my friends don’t want to play something that heavy.
COINs have bots, don't they?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

SelenicMartian posted:

COINs have bots, don't they?

They do, but I’d rather let my computer run them :P (and presumably it’d be much, much cheaper)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

StrixNebulosa posted:

Not gonna lie I'm working from home but also refreshing the Windows store on my PC every couple minutes to check for the update :ohdear:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

explosivo posted:

Not gonna lie I'm working from home but also refreshing the Windows store on my PC every couple minutes to check for the update :ohdear:

It's unpacking now! ... Why does this process take so long. Man. Don't preorder games if you're impatient.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's unpacking now! ... Why does this process take so long. Man. Don't preorder games if you're impatient.

Lol you have to uninstall and re-download the whole thing from the windows store if you have the gamepass version :waycool:

Edit: I redownloaded the game as it asked me to and didn't download the Juggernaut edition -_-

explosivo fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 13, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

State of Decay 2: you can start the game as a lesbian couple looking for supplies. Your girlfriend gets infected, and as your first quest you get plague samples so the doctor can cure her and now she's alive and I can play as her. I cannot describe how happy I am - I was certain she was dead meat and it'd open with gay tragedy but no! No!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Stickman posted:

They do, but I’d rather let my computer run them :P (and presumably it’d be much, much cheaper)
Too late, I've got Gandhi and FitL in the mail (

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Ori 2 might be the newest platforming hotness but back here in 2018 I can finally declare my mission to scale a mountain of corpses to reach a berry in the moon a complete success. :toot:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Oh, a promo email from Steam.

“You are receiving this email because you played a game in the Borderlands Franchise series”

Tales from the Borderlands. Did 2K put you up to this, Steam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

StrixNebulosa posted:

State of Decay 2: you can start the game as a lesbian couple looking for supplies. Your girlfriend gets infected, and as your first quest you get plague samples so the doctor can cure her and now she's alive and I can play as her. I cannot describe how happy I am - I was certain she was dead meat and it'd open with gay tragedy but no! No!

I had no interest in State of Decay 2 but now I do.