Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Gripweed posted:

I watched Godzilla 1984. I didn't really like it.
I watched 84 and 2000 last week. The human plots are now hopelessly tangled in my head like christmas tree lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
When I watched G'84 the other week, it struck me as a movie caught between old-style monster movie filmmaking and a rapidly changing cinematic landscape that left it feeling hopelessly stilted and awkward.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
G '84's entire soundtrack is up on YouTube, I strongly recommend checking out the unused "Ending" track that was composed for the film but was replaced by that insipid "Goodbye Godzilla" pop song that plays over the end credits.. IMO G '84's score is one of the best in the franchise, and that cut song is one of the strongest tracks on the whole soundtrack album.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
for those who might not read manga, there's one that is relevant to the thread going on right now, it's good and fun. It's called Kaiju Girl Caramelise(official english releases), and it's a shojo manga(girl's manga) about a girl who when she feels extreme feelings such as, say, love, she turns into a godzilla-esque kaiju. this is of course a problem for her school and social life.

it's a romcom, and a good one, and also does a decent job at handling someone's issues about their own image and body. The art is great, the goofy-rear end looney toons super deformed style the characters sometimes go into is great, and the romance is fluffy. The most recent chapter introduced a trio of gyaru who may be familiar. Even has the stitching on one of their necks. :v:

There's a little fanservice, but nothing super overt compared to a lot of romcom manga.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Rewatched King Kong (2005) and this thing is a master class for compositions on how to show a giant creature. You never feel lost, confused, or that your view of the creature or action is overly obscured. A ton of beautiful wide shots.

I think it’s an astonishing movie, if not always entirely success in multiple ways, but I respect it a lot.

Also watched King Kong (1976) for the first time. That was... less successful for me but still fun. There is a single wide shot of Kong during his reveal that I loved but that was mostly it. I did enjoy how loving 70’s it was with Kong being wheeled out in a big gas pump.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Violator posted:

Rewatched King Kong (2005) and this thing is a master class for compositions on how to show a giant creature.

Yes. Also Godzilla 2014 where they really feel like gods on Earth

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Violator posted:

Also watched King Kong (1976) for the first time. That was... less successful for me but still fun. There is a single wide shot of Kong during his reveal that I loved but that was mostly it. I did enjoy how loving 70’s it was with Kong being wheeled out in a big gas pump.

Best thing to come out of that movie was the Universal Studios ride.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

My favorite thing about Kong ‘76 is that scene where he fights a giant snake and the minature set is so flat and void of details that it looks like they’re fighting on a golf green.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

Best thing to come out of that movie was the Universal Studios ride.

I listened to the Now Playing podcast series where they reviewed all of the Kongs and they talked about how the ride isn't actually connected to that movie.

Apparently the estate that owned Kong did a verbal deal with Dino De Laurentiis and a written deal with Universal at the same time. So both companies got the rights. Dino fast tracked his movie into production to be first and eventually Universal agreed that he could release his movie and then they would release theirs a few years later. Dino's movie came out and didn't do so well, so Universal scrapped the project until Peter Jackson came along. But since they had the rights to Kong, they built the theme park ride anyway based on what they had planned for their movie. It's not actually connected to the 1976 movie at all outside of the Kong character.

The original plan for the Universal 70's movie was apparently a super similar period piece like Peter Jackson's movie, although the ending would have had the movie director climbing into an airplane in a fit of rage to try to kill Kong and Kong would have destroyed his plane and killed him.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Jackson's greatest addition is caring Jack Black as the director, because it turns the world's biggest sick into a tragic antihero. I love both the original and the remake, but the human characters in Jackson's version are so much better realized.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I got the 4K of Jackson's King Kong for free and rewatched it for the first time since I saw it in theaters years ago while drunk.

Probably one of the worst times I've ever had watching a movie. It's just joyless and goes on for-loving-ever.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I watched it for the first time not that long ago with some friends who insisted we watch the longer cut and I enjoyed the hell out of it. :shrug:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I saw it when it came out in the theater, and the main thing I remember from it is the action chase sequence where King Kong fights some t-rexes and then falls into a pit but gets caught by vines and the t-rexes do to and so they fight while swinging from the vines and then iirc the vines break and King Kong kills the t-rexes on the ground, meanwhile Adrien Brody and his friends are also having an exciting action sequence in a pit fighting giant bugs. The whole thing is like a solid 12 minutes of uninterrupted action, it just goes on for loving ever.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Violator posted:

I listened to the Now Playing podcast series where they reviewed all of the Kongs and they talked about how the ride isn't actually connected to that movie.

Apparently the estate that owned Kong did a verbal deal with Dino De Laurentiis and a written deal with Universal at the same time. So both companies got the rights. Dino fast tracked his movie into production to be first and eventually Universal agreed that he could release his movie and then they would release theirs a few years later. Dino's movie came out and didn't do so well, so Universal scrapped the project until Peter Jackson came along. But since they had the rights to Kong, they built the theme park ride anyway based on what they had planned for their movie. It's not actually connected to the 1976 movie at all outside of the Kong character.

It's even more complex than that. Universal went to court over the rights, and the courts sided with de Laurentiis. So they decided to instead argue that, since the novelization of King Kong hadn't had its copyright properly renewed, it was in the public domain and they could make a movie based on that. And they were right! It is! The key was they had to make sure not to use anything that was in the movie that wasn't in the novelization.

But the market would only really bear one version of the story, so it was down to who went into production first, and De Laurentiis started shooting in January '76. (Yeah they started shooting ten months before the movie came out, the movie was rushed as gently caress.) Universal did make a deal, they'd abandon their production in exchange for first refusal on any sequel (hence they distributed King Kong Lives) and some other considerations, and they spent the following years buying up associated trademarks related to the movie. Hence the ride.

(The delay on a sequel was down to it not doing incredible, but also because shortly after this Universal and De Laurentiis were at odds over Orca.)

This actually got them in trouble when they tried to sue Nintendo over Donkey Kong, because they'd already argued King Kong was public domain. Judge was not happy with them about this.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Ah, super interesting info. Thanks for providing more details, this kind of stuff is neat to learn about.

I can’t help but love a lot of Dino’s movies and I really like Orca.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

2005 Kong gets points from me for working heart of darkness into its script and actually chasing those themes. I can’t say the extra bulk doesn’t dilute that a bit.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Just a heads up that due to the virus, The Kaiju Survival Guide is free this week on Amazon.

It's a short read, but the concept is interesting. The author tries to do both the Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z in one book, and it is a mix that doesn't really gel that well. Zombies are fun because they can be fought, work as social metaphors and allow for a wide variety of interesting scenario's. Kaiju can do the same, but it takes a lot more skill and effort to pull it of. It takes about two chapters before the author runs into this problem, and his solution is less than ideal. The book wants to bring 'realism' into the realm of giant monsters by making them vulnerable to conventional weaponry and significantly less intelligent, but the end result reads like a prepper's guide to Earth Defense Force. There's exhausting detail about how to make your own bunker, take care of firearms and ration supplies for the sake of completion or filler. You end up with paragraphs about the right choice of small firearm, ending with the mention that a pistol probably won't save you from Godzilla. But an RPG might do the trick! In the end, you end up with a version of Pacific Rim that has all the fun sucked out of it.

Luckily, these sections interweave with small prose sections about monster attacks. They're presented as interviews with survivors (again, like Max Brooks) and these are a little more entertaining. The book clearly wants to pay its respect to the classics, so King Kong, Godzilla, Rodan and Ghidorah all show up with their serial numbers filed off. It has some fun moments (like when the beasties from B-movie classic Them! make a guest appearance) but also never comes anywhere near the level of World War Z. For all Max Brooks' faults, his stories were varied and tried to hit different emotions. These stories are way more one-note, with the monster showing up and cornering the main character before he or she is miraculously saved by timely intervention of the military. Then another chapter will show us the military's perspective, often from the viewpoint of brave pilots or sailors who just made a plan and executed it. Stories like that can be pulpy entertainment, but the book suffers from staying so close to its source material. The first two stories are just recounting classic scenes from King Kong and Gojira respectively, but with the names changed and small but bizarre differences that rob them of their original emotional impact. Like, the author realized that Kong climbing the Empire State was iconic, but doesn't seem to grasp that this is because of the inherent tragedy. So we just end up with a giant ape versus airplanes, with zero pathos and even a bizarre twist where Kong throws Fay Wray into the propellers of an incoming plane. It's like that 2014 article where the US Army boasts that it would totally just shoot Godzilla in the eye with a bunker buster, extended to book length.

On the other hand, it's free and there's some fun discussion about giant robots in there, so why not?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/mondonews/status/1240714638867795970?s=12

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Godzilla tiki mug and statue are the dopest things I've ever seen

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I usually don't care for their tiki's but I gotta get this I think!@

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Giant Monsters All-Out Conference Call

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

McSpanky posted:

:discourse:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's even more complex than that. Universal went to court over the rights, and the courts sided with de Laurentiis. So they decided to instead argue that, since the novelization of King Kong hadn't had its copyright properly renewed, it was in the public domain and they could make a movie based on that. And they were right! It is! The key was they had to make sure not to use anything that was in the movie that wasn't in the novelization.

But the market would only really bear one version of the story, so it was down to who went into production first, and De Laurentiis started shooting in January '76. (Yeah they started shooting ten months before the movie came out, the movie was rushed as gently caress.) Universal did make a deal, they'd abandon their production in exchange for first refusal on any sequel (hence they distributed King Kong Lives) and some other considerations, and they spent the following years buying up associated trademarks related to the movie. Hence the ride.

(The delay on a sequel was down to it not doing incredible, but also because shortly after this Universal and De Laurentiis were at odds over Orca.)

This actually got them in trouble when they tried to sue Nintendo over Donkey Kong, because they'd already argued King Kong was public domain. Judge was not happy with them about this.

The main thing from childhood I remember about the Dino Kong was all the stories in the press about how they'd actually built a giant mechanical ape that was going to be in most of the shots, and I believed it.

Despite the thing only appearing on-screen for about five seconds, I still loved the film.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

MrMojok posted:

The main thing from childhood I remember about the Dino Kong was all the stories in the press about how they'd actually built a giant mechanical ape that was going to be in most of the shots, and I believed it.

Despite the thing only appearing on-screen for about five seconds, I still loved the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P749Vnd3WSw

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012

MrMojok posted:

I really wish I had continued to coast on my warm childhood drive-in memories of this, instead of actually rewatching the freakin' creaky thing. (Dear Lord, that snake.) The oil company being named Petrox is just a top-tier 70's pun, however.

filmcynic fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 21, 2020

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

McSpanky posted:

Each Ghidorah head should have their own screen, but they should also keep drifting into each other's screen

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Davros1 posted:

Each Ghidorah head should have their own screen, but they should also keep drifting into each other's screen

And the echo delay is atrocious

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

[timg]https://i.imgur.com/LbP8ZJb.png[/url][/timg]

This is going to be an actual Magic card, along with fifteen other creature cards reskinned with Godzilla kaiju names and art.

The most valuable will probably be Space Godzilla, because it’s full name in the initial printings of the card was “Space Godzilla, Death Corona”

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

And in any further printing it's name will be changed to void invader, but usually these sort of weird prints are worth less than blinged out versions of tournament viable cards.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I have never felt any desire to play Magic The Gathering. But the ability to make a deck of Godzillas is pretty tempting

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I do appreciate that I live in a world where Hasbro had to release a "Statement on Space Godzilla."

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Schwarzwald posted:

I do appreciate that I live in a world where Hasbro had to release a "Statement on Space Godzilla."

I was told by a friend that one of the Space Godzilla cards had to be renamed. I started to go "Wait wh-Oh."

Later we got to tell another friend who is also a giant Godzilla nut that a Space Godzilla card had to be renamed. They had the same drat reaction.

The Corona Beam is a really goddamn cool attack with a really baller name

BOY who could have saw this coming

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Some leaked pics of GvK toys are out.

Spoilers Kong has a spiked club
Godzilla has a metal harness down his head and spine
The Skullcrawler is back
A new monster, a winged snake thing called "Nozuki"

If you grew up in the 90s and remember the Jurassic Park dinos with the "Battle Damage", these Playmate figs are going to have that.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Dino Damage.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Kong Krushes
Godzilla Gore
Nozuki Noshes

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Finally got around to watching king of monsters and like, yeah it's not as good as Godzilla 2014 or skull island but I think some of y'all massively overhyped how bad it was

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mandatory lesbian posted:

Finally got around to watching king of monsters and like, yeah it's not as good as Godzilla 2014 or skull island but I think some of y'all massively overhyped how bad it was

They did. Other people over hype how good it is, to be slightly fair, but it's not even close to the bottom of the barrel.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
all of the monster scenes are outstanding

all of the human scenes are garbage

badabing badaboom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It'd be nice if they could just make movies as much cheesy fun as Skull Island.