Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Neslepaks posted:

hi im now in the pandemic wfh club

i dont expect to get much done since the kids are also stuck here

first wfh day is finished, and i feel the need to quote this again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

:wtc:

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
lol first day of wfh and looks like all the tasks i have depend on hardware we won’t be able to install for weeks. i barely had anything to do today and played smash during an hour long pointless call

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil

me too, king. join me in laughing at the mouse touchers

Scud Hansen fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 13, 2020

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Scud Hansen posted:

me too, king. join me in laughing at the mouse touchers

i use a trackball :smuggo:

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

echinopsis posted:

i’m personally hoarding a few masks and antibiotics too. gotta be some perks

lol

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

his master’s feet

lol

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
ok i did some thinking and ive got a new plan

this pandemic is predicted to go very wide, right? like 40-70% of the earths population is gonna get it in the next year or two?

and the big threat is that if (when) you get it the health care system will be overloaded or in a state of collapse?

the optimal strategy seems obvious: arrange to get the coronavirus NOW while there are still hospital beds and working ventilators available

brb off to lick all the doorknobs at my gym

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

FMguru posted:

ok i did some thinking and ive got a new plan

this pandemic is predicted to go very wide, right? like 40-70% of the earths population is gonna get it in the next year or two?

and the big threat is that if (when) you get it the health care system will be overloaded or in a state of collapse?

the optimal strategy seems obvious: arrange to get the coronavirus NOW while there are still hospital beds and working ventilators available

brb off to lick all the doorknobs at my gym

with incubation the time to do that was two weeks ago

now you’re just a fast follower

Kind Friend
Sep 9, 2013

yeah, plus treatment options in the future will hopefully be better. i also heard a thing that pandemics tend to get less deadly as time goes on because the super deadly viral strains tend to kill off their hosts and therefore can't spread as effectively.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
also i dont think that getting it now means you can't get it later, thats chicken pox

PurdWerfect
Aug 29, 2000

already wfh 1 or 2 days a week, so when we went full time earlier this week i pretty much have it down. we've been told to wfh through april 3rd but everyone's kinda figuring it will be until summer at least. i'm waiting to see if the spring quarter happens all online or if it happens at all.

a bigger problem for me is dfh, as i currently never drink at home but am instead a barfly.

i'm 59 and i'm stupid enough to be a smoker, so i'm more at risk then i need to be, but if i don't go to the bar my health will improve and ill probably just taper smoking down to nothing. so it'll either kill me or make me get healthier

my inlaws will be fairly inlikely to survive if they get it as they're in their early 90s and my mom probably woudn't survive it either and i have mixed feelings about her.

the person i worry about most is someone super close to me who is immunocompromised and i can't imagine the hole in my soul if she ceased to be.

still, working in sweats is nice

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
latest age breakdown of deaths from italy

get in the urn, grandpa

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

rotor posted:

also i dont think that getting it now means you can't get it later, thats chicken pox

often times once you recover from a virus you can’t get it again. it’s if the virus mutates that you can get sick again, like the flu. it’s also why the flu vaccine isn’t 100% effective. they pick a strain that they predict will be the most common and vaccinate you against that.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

often times once you recover from a virus you can’t get it again. it’s if the virus mutates that you can get sick again, like the flu. it’s also why the flu vaccine isn’t 100% effective. they pick a strain that they predict will be the most common and vaccinate you against that.

biology is so weird

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

gotta say, not really a fan

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

eh there are some parts of biology i like

birbs :3:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

eh there are some parts of biology i like

birbs :3:
:wrong:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

rip tom hanks

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

rotor posted:

biology is so weird

also the current thoughts are that testing isnt reliable enough and people they thought were "recovered" from it, really weren't.

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/prevention-cures/487436-can-you-get-coronavirus-twice

quote:

“Once you have the infection, it could remain dormant with minimal symptoms,” Philip Tierno Jr., professor of microbiology and pathology at New York University, told Reuters last month.

“And then you can get an exacerbation if it finds its way into the lungs,” he said.

Scientists agree reinfection is an unlikely explanation for patients who test positive a second time, according to the Los Angeles Times, and note the possibility that testing errors, and releasing patients from hospitals too prematurely, are more likely the reason for reports of patients who retest positive.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
so, like always, chalk it up to human incompetence

PurdWerfect
Aug 29, 2000

welp, just heard spring quarter is going to be remote, so I probly won't see my cube till summer at the earliest

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

the antibodies we create that recognise pathogens require unique antigens to identify. once our immune system can identify an antigen it can usually take care of it very well

our immune system is mental. it was described in university as something like a random protein generator and those proteins will “stick” to things and are antibodies and they act like tags for other immune cells to swallow up. it was described as if the protein stuck to our own cells it could tell so it didn’t use them (this always felt like an obscene simplification when it was taught) that’s what an autoimmune disorder is, where our immune system tags our own cells for destruction. it’s possible type 1 diabetes results from the body creating antibodies for some kind of virus and those antibodies also bind to the beta cells in the pancreas so that the immune system attacks the beta cells thinking it’s a virus. it’s possible we will be able to immunise against this in the future

rheumatic fever can lead to a similar situation there the antibodies will bind to cells in the heart (to do with the valves?) and so the immune system will attack the heart so that’s why you get this weird situation where rheumatic fever leading to CV problems

the H and N in flu strands like H1N1 represent the two most common antigen families expressed on the flu virus, although they aren’t the only ones

I’m not sure why some immune responses last longer than other though. why we can give the immune system dead cells for some things and live attenuated for others

and it’s also worth nothing most viruses don’t target all our cells but just a limited number. things like coronavirus attack the respiratory cells.

measles is nasty because it attacks our immune cells itself and is one of the worst viruses because it can “erase” some or all of your immune “memory”

most common cold are either rhinovirus or coronavirus. why this one in particular is much more deadly is something I’d like to understand

also sometimes in healthy people we can get situations where our cells lyse and release huge volumes of viral particles into our body and our immune system sees this as an extreme attack and can have something called a “cytokine storm” and lead to shock and this is how you get very healthy people dying of flu, different to vulnerable people dying from respiratory failure from the flu

just some ill-remembered info for ya. it’s probably all wrong now

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Mar 14, 2020

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
<seven of nine voice>

“cytokine storm”

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

echinopsis posted:

the antibodies we create that recognise pathogens require unique antigens to identify. once our immune system can identify an antigen it can usually take care of it very well

our immune system is mental. it was described in university as something like a random protein generator and those proteins will “stick” to things and are antibodies and they act like tags for other immune cells to swallow up. it was described as if the protein stuck to our own cells it could tell so it didn’t use them (this always felt like an obscene simplification when it was taught) that’s what an autoimmune disorder is, where our immune system tags our own cells for destruction. it’s possible type 1 diabetes results from the body creating antibodies for some kind of virus and those antibodies also bind to the beta cells in the pancreas so that the immune system attacks the beta cells thinking it’s a virus. it’s possible we will be able to immunise against this in the future

rheumatic fever can lead to a similar situation there the antibodies will bind to cells in the heart (to do with the valves?) and so the immune system will attack the heart so that’s why you get this weird situation where rheumatic fever leading to CV problems

the H and N in flu strands like H1N1 represent the two most common antigen families expressed on the flu virus, although they aren’t the only ones

I’m not sure why some immune responses last longer than other though. why we can give the immune system dead cells for some things and live attenuated for others

and it’s also worth nothing most viruses don’t target all our cells but just a limited number. things like coronavirus attack the respiratory cells.

measles is nasty because it attacks our immune cells itself and is one of the worst viruses because it can “erase” some or all of your immune “memory”

most common cold are either rhinovirus or coronavirus. why this one in particular is much more deadly is something I’d like to understand

also sometimes in healthy people we can get situations where our cells lyse and release huge volumes of viral particles into our body and our immune system sees this as an extreme attack and can have something called a “cytokine storm” and lead to shock and this is how you get very healthy people dying of flu, different to vulnerable people dying from respiratory failure from the flu

just some ill-remembered info for ya. it’s probably all wrong now

100% not gonna read all those words

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
https://twitter.com/round/status/1238529082960171009

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

rotor posted:

just watch that one episode of storybots

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

also the current thoughts are that testing isnt reliable enough and people they thought were "recovered" from it, really weren't.

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/prevention-cures/487436-can-you-get-coronavirus-twice
it's not entirely the fault of the tests themselves: they're measuring the virus in your upper respiratory system but the virus lives in the lower so can evade detection. this poo poo really sucks and there's not really a sign of severity until the complications kick-in:

some good reads:
Clinical course and risk factors for mortality of adult inpatients with COVID-19 in Wuhan, China: a retrospective cohort study (thorough breakdown of symptoms & treatment outcomes)
First known person-to-person transmission of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) in the USA (it's been documented in the US since late january)
How will country-based mitigation measures influence the course of the COVID-19 epidemic? (an everything-you-need-to-know on the unknowns currently)
COVID-19 and Italy: what next? (models ICU capacity to be reached March 14...)

if you want to follow along:
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/onlinefirst
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/onlinefirst
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/onlinefirst

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
hi friends i'll be wfh next week. possibly longer - they're not super clear right now.

anywho, just happy to be here

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ryansatin/status/1237893888439750663

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

you gonna try it?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

hey i’m just pleased i haven’t been put on ignore by everyone

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
whole team got up in arms about the importance of social distancing and flattening the growth curve on covid-19 in response to hearing that our department would not be allowing everyone to wfh because "it looks bad if people aren't in the office"

this is despite the larger organization urging it

"Just wash your hands, you will be fine. You guys are young and idealistic, and you're all about 'power to the people', but you have to balance that with the needs of the organization"

all of our jobs can be done fine from home

what is wrong with people

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
lol who does it look bad to, the office inspectors?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

echinopsis posted:

hey i’m just pleased i haven’t been put on ignore by everyone

lol. no one should ignore you.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
https://twitter.com/jonny290/status/1238667884638818304

i am not joking in that i am hanging by a thread more than i have been in my entire life. i no longer care. just do it

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

i am not joking in that i am hanging by a thread more than i have been in my entire life. i no longer care. just do it

Hang in there jonny :unsmith:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
just DO ITTTTT

I dont want to spend the next three years hunting raccoons for food and learning how to make my own soap out of raccoon fat and mcmansion ash just to be told i still don't qualify for a mortgage, keep renting, oops they all do credit checks hope you got a bed in your truck

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
like im not actively looking to end it but i dearly wish it would all end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

someone finally suggested a bullshitting room to keep it sorted because this was all week for us