Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Solemn Sloth posted:

I want to see what the umpiring is like with no crowd

AFL umpires have been forced to train alone in a bid to allow the season to begin as planned on Thursday, March 19.

With the umps such a valuable commodity, all standard AFL and AFLW training has effectively been suspended.

The move is to protect the small group of people who have such a huge role in putting the game on - with no umpires, there are no games.

“As a precautionary measure we have advised AFL and AFLW umpires of alternative training arrangements for the time being,” an AFL spokesperson said.

Umps will do fitness work individually and be reviewed and instructed remotely via ‘tech’.

The measures come less than an hour after an NBA game was cancelled following revelations a referee had officiated a game involving an infected player two days earlier.

:thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
How will the players know when to dispose of the ball without 20k+ telling them? :confused:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I actually wonder how many staff you need on site to safely operate a venue as big as the MCG with spectators banned. I guess you could shut all the gates up and have some security patrol the outside, have all the players, officials and tv staff come in underground which would cut down a lot

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 12, 2020

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
First 3 rounds will be empty stadia games is my guess atm and could roll on further if needed.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

If the NBA and others are postponing things instead of going behind closed doors, I can’t see footy going forward with closed-door games of their own. I don’t think it’s the right solution.

Given the weekly nature of footy schedules — not sure you can pack in mid-week games — it’ll probably wind up being a shortened season. Only question is how short.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

harperdc posted:

If the NBA and others are postponing things instead of going behind closed doors, I can’t see footy going forward with closed-door games of their own. I don’t think it’s the right solution.

Given the weekly nature of footy schedules — not sure you can pack in mid-week games — it’ll probably wind up being a shortened season. Only question is how short.

Chop first five weeks off, everyone plays everyone else once

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Solemn Sloth posted:

This.

Except the afl will push to play round 1, just as a locked out match.

The thing is, somebody on an afl list or working at an afl club will be infected and confirmed in the next two weeks. Law of averages say it. (Hell, Lauren Tesoriso from Richmond aflw is in lockdown because her room mate just got home from Japan)

This means the season gets suspended or pushed back.

But they can't push the season back because the cricket world cup is on here at the end of the year.

One solution is reorder the league. Lockout all games, bring all teams to Melbourne and play 1 game a weekday, 3 games a day on weekends, primetime tv one after the other until someone gets sick. Try to knock out as many games as possible in ~3 weeks then suspend the season and work it out later.

Waits between games would work out to 5 of 6 days for teams. It might work.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Welp

https://twitter.com/Raf_Epstein/status/1238294372732432385?s=19

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Carlton and Gold Coast matches to continue unimpeded

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The joke I would have said is put matches on from everyone’s training ovals/suburban grounds but that’s not really productive given that sports in other parts of the world are being postponed.

Solemn Sloth posted:

This is the right answer and the faster they do it, the better. Get the isolation started now.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Breaking

https://twitter.com/DanielCherny/status/1238313843912130560/

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Carlton and Gold Coast matches to continue unimpeded
Carlton had the 5th largest game ave attendance last season.

Try Hawks, they had low crowds.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

drunkill posted:

Carlton had the 5th largest game ave attendance last season.

Try Hawks, they had low crowds.

Dammit, I knew I'd pick a popular team, should've just stuck with GC

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

harperdc posted:

Why not?

The entire issue with this is the crowds providing greater infection chances. Closed games will have likely a hundred or two people working in what are effectively huge stadiums.

If players come down with it well then you cant do much about that.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nutsngum posted:

If players come down with it well then you cant do much about that.

The AFL has bigger playing squads/lists, and athletes in Europe and the US are already coming down with it. If they went forward somebody would test positive and that would throw everything into immediate chaos; better to lock things down now for a month.

Also it was my assumption footy players would be like rugby or gridiron and require one week or so between match days, please inform me if that’s incorrect.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
In the dim past of the NSWRFL (what's effectively the NRL now), they actually had seasons start with a couple of Wednesday games in the early rounds.

But yeah, AFL games usually need 5-6 days between, with exceptions like when the Anzac Day game is on Wednesday. Only other precedent is when Night Premiership games were played on Tuesday nights in the 70s and 80s.

Thing is this situation is going to be most of the year. The Olympics are probably done (maybe postponed a year), a lot of other poo poo is going to be up in the air, only advantage sport has over other entertainment is you don't necessarily need a crowd particularly if it's on TV if everyone's fit, but it's going to have a hell of a weird feel about it. And since up to a third of the population is likely to be infected at some point we're going to see outright cancellations at some point.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Crowd lockout for Round 1 confirmed: https://www.afl.com.au/news/384878

Watch a player get infected between now and Thursday so the season is delayed.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 13, 2020

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
The beauty of a silent quarter time.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Looking forward to being able to hear in crystal clarity my favourite players swear up a storm

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
North girls just kicked 10 unanswered goals to win.

from 20-2 to 20-66

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

drunkill posted:

North girls just kicked 10 unanswered goals to win.

from 20-2 to 20-66

I don't think Geelong's hearts were in it anymore after Morrison was stretchered off :smith:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

monolithburger posted:

I don't think Geelong's hearts were in it anymore after Morrison was stretchered off :smith:

I thought only Dutton had gone down, this is even better

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Go Dees

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Dees pls

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

lol Hore did not want to kick that goal at all

I've been saying it for a while now but she's a gun

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Birch is a gun interceptor but I hope Downey can find her feet when she comes back into the side with someone taking her role as she's one of my favourite players

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Thread title

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Melbourne better win this because I can’t see either of these teams winning next week given how tired they’re going to be, and if Melbourne drop two games we are at serious risk of getting pipped by Collingwood for finals

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

An ACL injury definitely helps things

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

OH gently caress OFF

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

O'Dea is having a shocker. That from the pocket did everything possible to not go through for goal

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
Those were some atrociously unlucky bounces for the Dees.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Footballs the worst loving sport, it can gently caress right off forever

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Get hosed.

Just once have the ball bounce like that for us you loving piece of poo poo. Just loving once.

Absolute jammiest loving bullshit you’ll ever see

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

Footballs the worst loving sport, it can gently caress right off forever

Agreed

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Confirmed that footy sucks

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Adelaide and melbourne in the real contest: who can have the fewest listed players available for selection

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Four in the row for the blue girls yeah!

Those bounces were horrible for melbourne, plus peppering away with shots on goal and all of them being points for the best part of three quarters. But we were unable to land a handpass for three quarters, then it finally clicked in the end and we were able to just run out the game. They'll be tired as hell though and have a long recovery during the week, at least we play the eagles at home so should win that too.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Melbourne need to fix their kicking at goal. This and the st Kilda game we should have really had by the throat, and instead now looking very likely to miss finals.

We have Freo in Perth next week, Collingwood have st Kilda and Geelong in the run home.

The fact that Collingwood will make an AFLW finals series before us makes me physically ill.

Daisy deserves better than this bullshit

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dees nutz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

When the 2020 season gets cancelled and players can just TRAIN for the next 12 months until the 2021 season... will that season be the best ever??