Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
I'd really love to find the pre-season article that tipped Richmond as the overwhelming stand out of the expansion teams. :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
If the season gets called off after the first game of the year and Richmond lose, we can count that as a wooden spoon right?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

thepokey posted:

If the season gets called off after the first game of the year and Richmond lose, we can count that as a wooden spoon right?
well technically they'd be 9th

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

thepokey posted:

Only if you count the winner of that game with the premiership

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Weird Sandwich posted:

Gil senses his opportunity, and waits in the away race of the MCG with a shotgun, a gasmask, and the groggy and bruised first 22 of the Gold Coast Suns.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

snoremac posted:

well technically they'd be 9th

Even better! 9th again and no 1st draft pick.

Weird Sandwich posted:

Minor premier

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
When is the Goon Golden Spoon draft?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Forum Joe posted:

When is the Goon Golden Spoon draft?

It was supposed to be Saturday, but we didn't have enough people in. We're up to 6 teams now, is anyone else going to join?

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...43e67028f1d82c9

“Clubs could be forced to play as many as five games in three weeks before the COVID-19 disaster forces a total shutdown period as the AFL looks to protect its $2.5 billion broadcast agreement.

The radical plan was discussed as the AFL staged separate phone conferences with chief executives and presidents today.

Clubs were told they would be able to sign top-up players to help navigate the exhausting period.

Drastic rule changes to limit fatigue – such as unwinding the cap on interchange rotations and allowing more than four players on the bench – were also considered.

Matches could also be shortened with league powerbrokers prioritising ensuring all 198 home-and-away games plus finals get played at some stage.”

I like how the AFL saying “every option will be considered, nothing is off the table” but are sticking firm to 198 H&A games. Like, that seems like the easiest fix. Is it just because they don’t want to reduce it to 153 games, have each team play each other once, because then everyone would realize how good it is and never want to go back? No, probably just because of the contract they’ve signed with media partners to promise 198 games.

What a joke. This is just like the LNP budget surplus!

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Watching Bulldogs vs Freo and it's loving surreal to be watching a match at a suburban ground without loud fans.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Forum Joe posted:

I like how the AFL saying “every option will be considered, nothing is off the table” but are sticking firm to 198 H&A games. Like, that seems like the easiest fix. Is it just because they don’t want to reduce it to 153 games, have each team play each other once, because then everyone would realize how good it is and never want to go back? No, probably just because of the contract they’ve signed with media partners to promise 198 games.

What a joke. This is just like the LNP budget surplus!

I'm still having a hard time trying to wrap my head around COVID-19 and how this is going to play out. Surely there is zero chance we'll have a season this year. Other sports are completely shutting down and we're already closing AFL games to crowds when only 250 of almost 25,000,000 Australian's have gotten the virus. Surely this is only going to get worse and there is no chance this just "blows over" in a few months?

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Forum Joe posted:

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...43e67028f1d82c9

“Clubs could be forced to play as many as five games in three weeks before the COVID-19 disaster forces a total shutdown period as the AFL looks to protect its $2.5 billion broadcast agreement.

I hope the AFLPA rightly tells the AFL to go jump.

Overworking a workforce for profit is exactly why unions exist.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Windmill Hut posted:

I'm still having a hard time trying to wrap my head around COVID-19 and how this is going to play out. Surely there is zero chance we'll have a season this year. Other sports are completely shutting down and we're already closing AFL games to crowds when only 250 of almost 25,000,000 Australian's have gotten the virus. Surely this is only going to get worse and there is no chance this just "blows over" in a few months?

Im still trying to figure out how people think we can just shut everything down for the several months that would be required without basically ruining tens of thousands of people's lives due to sudden lack of work for months on end.

I mean just in general, its going to effect hundreds of thousands of people in the service industry who are already vulnerable. Probably not the right thread for it though.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

Nutsngum posted:

Probably not the right thread for it though.

The Auspol thread has been talking about nothing else for weeks. And the GBS Australia thread has been talking about it occasionally in between the usual drug chat too.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Windmill Hut posted:

Yeah I can't see how it goes ahead. I can understand the AFL looking into ways they can salvage something because the economic costs to them will be enormous.

Realistically though if a player tests positive (and they will eventually) anyone they've had contact with is going to have to self isolate for 14 days minimum.

Because no testing would be done until someone actually shows symptoms, the player will have been contagious for several days prior to being diagnosed.

Presumably this would mean the entire list plus club staff get locked up for 2 rounds, and if they played a game while contagious then I assume the oppositions list would need to be quarantined as well.

I don't see how you can have a meaningful season under those circumstances.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

It was supposed to be Saturday, but we didn't have enough people in. We're up to 6 teams now, is anyone else going to join?

Maybe we could do Wednesday night before the season launch?

And yeah to the above, it’s hard to see how they get away with that for the whole season. Making them play extra games is just stupid too. Be better just delaying the season starting and have it as a shortened season.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

I don't see how you can have a meaningful season under those circumstances.

Same, I don't see anything blowing over for a year minimum, and I'm being pessimistic because the virus is good at mutating and we aren't good at evolving that fast. We can only look at mitigation in the short term, the long-term problem is solving the mechanism of a the class of viruses covid-19 belongs to, which takes time and money.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Like Nuts said, you can’t just shut it all down without ruining thousands of lives by depriving them of income for months. The AFL is a big organisation with a lot of people directly and indirectly dependent on them for work. If they didn’t try to come up with some alternative to cancelling the season they would be negligent.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The season will be delayed.

I reckon there is a 50% chance round 1 is played, 70% chance only the Thursday and Friday games are played, 5% chance round 2 games are played.

~700 footballers, plus club doctors and gameday staff have to be isolated from their friends, family, the public, eachother for weeks because as soon as one person gets it that entire team (and the team they played last) have to be isolated. Whichever team gets it first will kick and scream if the competition goes ahead as they will miss out on premiership points.

If you look at the timeline of Italy, we're about to get heaps more confirmed cases over the next 2 weeks.

No way it goes ahead. They'll pull the pin on the Wednesday next week I reckon.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

thepokey posted:

Maybe we could do Wednesday night before the season launch?

And yeah to the above, it’s hard to see how they get away with that for the whole season. Making them play extra games is just stupid too. Be better just delaying the season starting and have it as a shortened season.

I've set the draft to happen at 1900 AEDT on Wednesday. I've also dropped it down to 30s per pick, so we'll be done in less than 90 minutes, but if people want it pushed back to 45 or 60 we can.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
There are no good options, you put a large number of people under massive financial strain, almost certainly leading to deaths

Or you dont try to control the spread and put the entire healthcare system under strain, meaning on top of the direct effects of the virus, people with unrelated problems who could have easily been saved normally die because there are no beds or doctors to see them

If our two parties of neoliberal cunts hadnt spent decades taking turns to rip the heart out of our social safety nets we would have some much more palatable options. As is its all bad options and the people making the decisions at a federal level at least are both malicious and incompetent

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Lightning Premiership

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

realbez posted:

Lightning Premiership

One night aflx tourney, last team standing wins

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

NTRabbit posted:

I've set the draft to happen at 1900 AEDT on Wednesday. I've also dropped it down to 30s per pick, so we'll be done in less than 90 minutes, but if people want it pushed back to 45 or 60 we can.

I’m happy with 30sec but 1900 is right on kids bedtime. I would prefer earlier(starting at 1800) or later (starting at 2000). But I can make 1900 so whatever.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Forum Joe posted:

I’m happy with 30sec but 1900 is right on kids bedtime. I would prefer earlier(starting at 1800) or later (starting at 2000). But I can make 1900 so whatever.

I can make it an hour later, I just picked a time that would be right after I got home from work

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

One night aflx tourney, last team standing wins

No time limit full game round-robin tourney. Team with most wins/best % when no team can field a full side wins.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Periphery posted:

No time limit full game round-robin tourney. Team with most wins/best % when no team can field a full side wins.

All teams on the field at once, 18 different goals equally spaced around the ground

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Just turn it into an esport this year and have teams play that new evolution game

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

thepokey posted:

Just turn it into an esport this year and have teams play that new evolution game

finally a year where youth actually makes you better

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
https://twitter.com/JoshJenkins24/status/1239297455084060672

:hurr:

Also Pendlebury has flu symptoms, goodbye season.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yeah, this will make the afl cancel the season.

Theyre hanving a big 1000+ conference call tonight with all players, I duspect they come out tomorrow or wed and postpone the season.

Even if it is just the flu for Pendles other players will be changing their mind.

And if he is infected then every clubs has to go into isolation because the captains day photos were taken less than a week ago.

Edit:
Hehe
https://twitter.com/heath_buck/status/1239379778924244992?s=19

drunkill fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 16, 2020

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I might have to petition for a thread change to "there isn't even footy" if this keeps up.

gently caress this year.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Man I was really loving looking forward to footy this year you turd of a virus

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
Pendlebury cleared, so there’s still a chance of getting a ghost-game on Thursday.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
presser about to start with gil, could be a blanket cancel for a number of weeks
https://www.afl.com.au/news/385850/watch-live-gillon-mclachlan-to-face-media-at-5-30pm-aedt

Paracausal fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Mar 16, 2020

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
State leagues across the country VFL SANF TSL WAFL etc, delay start of season until end of May
AFL season to 17 rounds
Decision on round 1 in next 24 hours
Conference tonight with all M/W players
other options available

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
So, you guys stockpile any good soft drinks?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
https://www.afl.com.au/news/385918/season-cut-to-17-games-call-delayed-on-r1-start

quote:

McLachlan also said:

- The match-ups in the first four rounds would remain as fixtured, and the rest of the fixture would be adjusted to accommodate the shortened season
- The finals series could be pushed into October to accommodate any delays to the season
- The AFLPA had been receptive to talk of a mass player pay cut
- If a player tested positive to coronavirus, the League would have no choice but to suspend play across the competition

RIP footy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Delay the season and infect all players with the virus and put them in hard lockdown/recuperation/training for 4 weeks (preseason stage 2: Pandemic edition). Resume season in closed stadiums. Football crisis averted.