Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I'm not gonna train beyond fitness stuff during this time, but I'm also gonna keep my membership rolling. My worry is that poo poo gets bad enough that my favorite gym ends up closing from lack of funds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Our satellite dojang is in a public school gym we rent 2 evenings a week. There is a good chance public schools will be closed down next week, or likely the week after. If that happens, no local training but hopefully our dedicated primary school a few miles away will stay open.

In my totally selfish way, if they close the school I hope it's after testing next week. I've been training on average 4-5 times a week the past few months and wouldn't mind dialing it back a bit.. to maybe 3.

LLJKSiLk posted:

The illusion of action is comforting I guess...
Similar to security theater at the airports I suppose.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
I was encouraged in another thread to post here.

An introduction:

I started like most 5 year olds in World Taekwondo. At the age of fourteen in 2001 I started to privately study Hapkido. I studied until my grandmaster’s death in 2011.

Unfortunately, my grandmaster was also my father.

My father was the senior student of his grandmaster. My father’s picture was on the wall of the dojang from well before I trained there to the schools closing. They were also best friends, so growing up martial arts were a family affair.

I stopped teaching and practicing after he died. (I still studied academically. Books, DVDs, etc.) I tried to keep up, but when I moved martially, my father was both present and unbearably absent. I was also diagnosed with a Bipolar disorder and put on a couple meds that shot my weight through the roof.

I finally started to train honestly again. Before I would start a school, last a month, then quit. But this time I’ve managed my grief so that I don’t have to worry about that and also I’ve decided to go into it with a beginners mind. Honestly I’m pretty much a beginner at this point as my body just can’t do what it used to. I’m training Aikido and my ukemi is awful, despite doing advanced ukemi with the old man. The beginners mind and empty cup are kind of nice, I’ve forgotten so much of Hapkido both in my mind and my body’s muscle memory that I don’t feel like I have to prove myself anymore. It’s ok to suck. As long as I train hard and with earnest then I have fulfilled my fathers (literal) dying wish that I study the arts in some form or another.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That's an interesting story, thanks for sharing it.

As someone who got into martial artslate in life (mid 40s) I was certainly under no illusion I was better than the "kids" that were there and learned to just go in with an open mind and absolutely humble yourself, especially as someone starting a very physically demanding and punishing activity in their mid 40s. Just because someone is 1/3 my age doesn't mean they can't teach me anything, because they certainly can and do.

I've often wondered what it would be like growing up as the kid of a master/grand master. One of my masters has 2 young red belts presently enrolled, and they are good, and my Master is an patient and kind man, but I wonder what he would be like if his kids were fat/not athletic nor had any interest in the sport. There has to be a bit of pressure there even if the father doesn't demand they practice/enroll.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I was encouraged in another thread to post here.

An introduction:

I started like most 5 year olds in World Taekwondo. At the age of fourteen in 2001 I started to privately study Hapkido. I studied until my grandmaster’s death in 2011.

Unfortunately, my grandmaster was also my father.

My father was the senior student of his grandmaster. My father’s picture was on the wall of the dojang from well before I trained there to the schools closing. They were also best friends, so growing up martial arts were a family affair.

I stopped teaching and practicing after he died. (I still studied academically. Books, DVDs, etc.) I tried to keep up, but when I moved martially, my father was both present and unbearably absent. I was also diagnosed with a Bipolar disorder and put on a couple meds that shot my weight through the roof.

I finally started to train honestly again. Before I would start a school, last a month, then quit. But this time I’ve managed my grief so that I don’t have to worry about that and also I’ve decided to go into it with a beginners mind. Honestly I’m pretty much a beginner at this point as my body just can’t do what it used to. I’m training Aikido and my ukemi is awful, despite doing advanced ukemi with the old man. The beginners mind and empty cup are kind of nice, I’ve forgotten so much of Hapkido both in my mind and my body’s muscle memory that I don’t feel like I have to prove myself anymore. It’s ok to suck. As long as I train hard and with earnest then I have fulfilled my fathers (literal) dying wish that I study the arts in some form or another.

Welcome! Glad to see you drop in - this thread needs activity.

With a bit of persistance it will come back. I took a nearly 20 year break from Judo and it came back, and I've since gotten my shodan. I found that I had the same experience at first regarding muscle memory. Trust that the information is still in your body both consciously and unconsciously. In my experience the problem was that my muscle memory was calibrated to being 5'4" and 110 lb, whereas when I returned I was 5'9" and 155. I started getting my feet back under me in about a month, and mostly caught up in two.

In that time that I was a way from judo I also had several mentors pass away. My dad (black belts in both judo and shotokan) is still alive, but he has become a recluse and really only has any interactions with martial arts vicariously through me. I often think about them in a positive way when I'm practicing.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

CommonShore posted:

I often think about them in a positive way when I'm practicing.

In Aikido, when we start class, after the bow we clap twice. At the end of class when we bow out we clap twice again.

Different teachers will tell you different things but Ueshiba was a religious man and in Shinto/Shinto-offshoots clapping is meant to invite the kami/spirit into the practice space and then send them away. As a Catholic I don’t believe this literally happens but I do think of it as asking my father and “uncle” to train with me and then thank them for their presence.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

slidebite posted:

I've often wondered what it would be like growing up as the kid of a master/grand master.

I wanted to post about this, but needed some time to think about it. Being the child of the Master is a beautiful burden. There’s this unspoken understanding that the only way to be as good as your parent is to become better than them. It’s the whole big-shoes-to-fill mentality but worse. But every teaching is immensely more meaningful.

Between my father and his master/best friend/my uncle, there were 5 children; my sibling and I and his three kids. We all trained until the school closed, my sister and I continuing training with Dad. By the time everyone was in college I was the only person still studying. To this day I am the only person amongst the five of us that could be called a martial artist.

My father by trade was an engineer. I have a degree in Theology and Religious Studies. I cannot inherit that trade, but I can inherit his “Do/Dao.” That’s why I feel as though when I train I am the successor to the family business.

It’s different for everybody, but that’s a glimpse into my experience.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

^Thanks for your background.

And that's it - classes cancelled until this passes. I know I'm going to miss it - glad I went last night.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
My dojang has been doing online content (videos and written assignments) for us to continue as we choose. It's an interesting approach.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

LLJKSiLk posted:

written assignments

What

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

LLJKSiLk posted:

My dojang has been doing online content (videos and written assignments) for us to continue as we choose. It's an interesting approach.

Aren’t you the guy that posts about mistreating his kids and can’t stop banging the babysitters?

This is a guy who deserves to be doing written assignments instead of training.

Edit: looked at your rap sheet yeah it is you

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Usually Korean terms, questions related to what we're learning, etc.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

LLJKSiLk posted:

Usually Korean terms, questions related to what we're learning, etc.

Doesn't seem that weird to me for TKD. Seems like a lot of traditional martial arts like TKD or Karate do some kind of written assignment as part of black belt to pay homage to that whole "develop more than the body" schtick.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 59 minutes!
My hope to continue training independently are pretty much dashed at this point. This lockdown means I effectively have no more free time, because there's no child-care, so I'm either doing child-care or working or both at the same time and where the hell do I fit martial arts into that? Can't even get a babysitter for obvious reasons.

Right now I'm just letting the kid play unsupervised with a black sharpie because I'm so exhausted. Can't even sneak some in after he goes to bed because the apartment is too small to do anything at all (I did try!)

So I guess no martial arts for me for a few months. I'm guessing there's a good chance the tournament is gonna be cancelled too even if restrictions might be lifted by then, if we're lucky.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

GlyphGryph posted:

My hope to continue training independently are pretty much dashed at this point. This lockdown means I effectively have no more free time, because there's no child-care, so I'm either doing child-care or working or both at the same time and where the hell do I fit martial arts into that? Can't even get a babysitter for obvious reasons.

Right now I'm just letting the kid play unsupervised with a black sharpie because I'm so exhausted. Can't even sneak some in after he goes to bed because the apartment is too small to do anything at all (I did try!)

So I guess no martial arts for me for a few months. I'm guessing there's a good chance the tournament is gonna be cancelled too even if restrictions might be lifted by then, if we're lucky.

Shadow boxing is actually really good practice. Mind you as I post this I realize I can't remember which art you practice.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

captkirk posted:

Doesn't seem that weird to me for TKD. Seems like a lot of traditional martial arts like TKD or Karate do some kind of written assignment as part of black belt to pay homage to that whole "develop more than the body" schtick.
For our traditional TKD club you *do* need to write an essay as part of your BB contract. It's not huge and they're note expecting Shakespeare, but there is one. It probably doesn't help that we have a lot of teachers (as in, high school teachers) as instructors as is one of our two masters, but yeah, it's common.

We are doing a lot of online vids and will start hosting live streams for classes as well. It will be interesting to do as a lot (most?) don't have the room to really do drills in their home. I am curious to see how we do it.

Our master just published an update to all members/parents advising the future of the club during the shutdown. We are in it for the long haul, but asking if people participate in the live streams/vid archives to consider paying a monthly amount, $$ up to each, to help support the club in this time as they still have all the expenses that still need to be paid like taxes, heat/power, etc. Went through pains though to say that if you are out of work or simply cannot afford it, you are still welcome to participate and nobody will be denied. One of the last original grand masters of classic TKD (CK Choi) is working directly with our master to develop online lessons.

All of our tournaments are cancelled until the fall, and to be honest, until there is a vaccine/effective treatment/everyone has it by then it wouldn't surprise me at all if it lasts until next year.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 28, 2020

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

First livestream class. It was actually quite good. The master who was broadcasting didn't have the best ISP so he would drop to 1-2 FPS from time to time which sucked, but it was actually quite good and not a waste of time. Definetly better than nothing for the next month.. or two..or four.. :(

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

My gym is closed until at least June 10th in VA. Just cranking out pushups and stuff like that at home until then.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Every year on Facebook I tell an embarrassing story about myself. This year’s is martial arts adjacent.

“Back in college I had a girlfriend who was selling a guitar over Craigslist. She found a buyer and called me to come with her because she felt unsafe and wanted to be protected. So I think to myself, “Well if the guy’s got a gun all we can do is be compliant. But is he’s got a knife if I can keep distance she can run to safety.” So I grab my cane I used for training. When she saw me she was livid. She thought it was ridiculous and unnecessary. So we go to the spot and from a bit of a distance I see a young man with a severe limp walking towards us. As he gets to us he greets us, looks at the guitar and exchanges the cash, then looks at me, smiles, and says “Hey, what have you got?” I instantly lie “Oh, back problems.” He responds “Yeah, I blew my knee out in Iraq. Well, thanks, have a good night!” She was so pissed and I was just sitting there looking up to the skies muttering “But I was right! I was right!””

Anybody got any good embarrassing martial art stories?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The 40% of the times I go for a head kick and pull out my support foot and fall.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I was once rolling with a lady wearing a tanktop and her boob came out and she didn't notice and I did not know what to do

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

While rolling I put my toes directly into a woman's crotch, with some force. Could feel vagina. She was cool about it.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I was once rolling with a lady wearing a tanktop and her boob came out and she didn't notice and I did not know what to do

:stare:

Count Roland posted:

While rolling I put my toes directly into a woman's crotch, with some force. Could feel vagina. She was cool about it.

:stare: :stare:

I’m not sure I could have ever gone back to class.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Maybe 3 months into my bjj training I got thrown with a tomoe nage, shouted in surprise, and spit my mouth guard into the face of the guy throwing me. He still makes fun of me for it 2 years later.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I was doing a flying sidekick and bailed at the last second and ended up totally grabbing the 17 year old females' chest that was holding the bag (newly minted BB too) when trying to stop myself. I was horrified and apologized profusely and she just smiled and said "pfft don't worry about it."

I'm easily old enough to be her father and was horrified :(

She is super nice and chill which is awesome though.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

kimbo305 posted:

The 40% of the times I go for a head kick and pull out my support foot and fall.

We recently had waxed the floors at my dojang and that made for some fun high kicks.

mewse
May 2, 2006

A drop of sweat fell from my brow into my coach’s mouth once

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Someone fishing for an underhook on my leg, and searching my gi pants for a fold of fabric, got their body alignment wrong and grabbed as much of my limp dick as they could find. Frankly, I'm just grateful it was drilling, because if that had happened at speed, and with the intent to pull me off balance..

Come to think of it, He's the same guy that once dropped a hard knee-on-belly that got me to erupt in a powerful fart, so I guess we're even. Jiujitsu is cool.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

When I was a brand new white belt (BJJ, like first month in) I was rolling with an older lady who was a purple belt. She was owning me pretty hard, and in the middle of our roll I realized that I was death gripping her chest out of the sheer panic of her choking me more.

She's a tough lady and thought it was funny.

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .
Going for an x guard sweep and realizing my foot was cupping the frank and beans instead of the guy's hip crease. Also that time I swept a girl, we both came up at the same time, bonked foreheads, and fell over.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

ElHuevoGrande posted:

Also that time I swept a girl, we both came up at the same time, bonked foreheads, and fell over.

Hulk Hogan calls that move the meeting of the minds.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

When I was new and doing a lot of MMA striking classes I got leg swept like in mortal kombat. My legs went up so high that my head was the first thing that hit the ground and I got a concussion for my trouble.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I was training with a smaller guy who was a wrestler who I had 30-40 lbs on. Got in a scramble , we both collide heads. I say “dude, are you alright?”. He looks at me funny and goes “DUDE, are you alright?” Jokes on me, my brow was split, blood was gushing on my face and I had to get 5 stitches. He was fine.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

I was rolling with a girl and I escaped from her triangle choke by creating space with my hands and just forcing myself out of it and away from her in a manner which kind of made it look like she was giving birth to me and we both laughed but she laughed way harder

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

VulgarandStupid posted:

I was training with a smaller guy who was a wrestler who I had 30-40 lbs on. Got in a scramble , we both collide heads. I say “dude, are you alright?”. He looks at me funny and goes “DUDE, are you alright?” Jokes on me, my brow was split, blood was gushing on my face and I had to get 5 stitches. He was fine.

I was trying for a bump sweep and timed it unbelievably wrong and ran my eyebrow into my buddy's forehead. Same, five stitches, bled like a stuck pig, and I had photos for my new firm's website the following tuesday. I still had stitches in an a black eye you could see from across the street.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

olylifter posted:

five stitches, bled like a stuck pig, and I had photos for my new firm's website the following tuesday. I still had stitches in an a black eye you could see from across the street.

"We fight for our clients!"

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Well I say this is pretty definitive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mu8myqrsjM

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Excellent video! Good find.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I like looking at any self defense scenarios involving experienced martial artists.
https://cagesidepress.com/2020/04/12/video-emerges-suspect-anthony-smith-home-invasion-previous-charged-domestic-assault/
The video is not of the actual encounter, but illustrates what kind of mental state the attacker was in.

It's crazy to think that a bigger, extremely experienced man could not subdue or incapacitate a deranged attacker in a hand to hand scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
The attacker was apparently an ex wrestler and yeah, looked pretty out of his mind.

Scary poo poo.