Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I've had a taste of a peanut butter flavored whiskey called something like "Sheepdog" and I wouldn't say it was bad but it's definitely not something I would drink on its own again. It's fine in cocoa or in a hot beverage though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

mllaneza posted:

About 10 years ago there was a Macallan promo tour. I signed up for the San Francisco event, which turned out to be a free Macallan tasting. Over the course of two hours, their VP or Marketing or PR or Something gave a presentation on their history, whiskey making in general, and where they get barrels and why. During the course of the show they served out 6 half-sized shots of their various expressions.

The 25 is really, hard-to-explain level, good booze. Around $2000 is shockingly expensive for something you drink, but it's actually worth it.

Agreed and agreed. It's kind of like a gourmet meal, it's for those with a special interest and it's good if only because you almost never do it. It was probably around the smoothest most pleasant whisky I've ever tasted. Kind of dangerous actually, I feel like I could have easily finished the bottle if it wasn't for the pricetag.

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

Macallan 25 is great. I ordered a pour of that and Talisker 30 recently, with low expectations of the Macallan since I'd started getting bored of non-islay scotches. I actually enjoyed it a lot more than the Talisker and wish my dumb brain would let me justify spending that kind of money on a single bottle that I'd probably empty within a month.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Peanut butter whiskey, kahlua, and cold brew coffee make a hell of a drink. Maybe add some bourbon cream?

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 13, 2020

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
screwball doesn't really taste like peanut butter or whiskey, more like a chocolate tootsie pop liquor

however I paired it with sloe gin in one of those division shot glasses and it was one of those concoctions that I would've drank until ruination back when I was younger.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Odd Mutant posted:

screwball doesn't really taste like peanut butter or whiskey, more like a chocolate tootsie pop liquor

Sheep Dog was kinda like that in that the flavor was more butterscotch than peanut butter.

Just restocked some basics this month: Costco basic bitch scotch, Mellow Corn and Sazerac. Actually Sazerac isn't my go-to rye per se; I'm not sure I have one yet. I think I liked Dickel Rye better but it's been a while since I've laid hands on a bottle.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

mllaneza posted:

About 10 years ago there was a Macallan promo tour. I signed up for the San Francisco event, which turned out to be a free Macallan tasting. Over the course of two hours, their VP or Marketing or PR or Something gave a presentation on their history, whiskey making in general, and where they get barrels and why. During the course of the show they served out 6 half-sized shots of their various expressions.

The 25 is really, hard-to-explain level, good booze. Around $2000 is shockingly expensive for something you drink, but it's actually worth it.

Mac 12 is criminally underrated and actually really good based on my experience so I'm not too surprised. But not sure if any booze is "worth" $2,000.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

2 grand is completely ridiculous. A 25 year old scotch should be a couple hundo tops. To each their own but youre paying more for marketing than the product, and that's never "worth it".

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Vox Nihili posted:

Mac 12 is criminally underrated and actually really good based on my experience so I'm not too surprised. But not sure if any booze is "worth" $2,000.

Mac 12 is the Platonic ideal of "Scotch". You could almost describe all other Scotches by how they differ from the reference dram kept in the Scottish Academy of Whiskeys.

$2,000 might be overpriced. Might. If they're playing with artificial scarcity, then it's hosed, but it seems to me like their 25-year expression is just that highly sought after.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
To each their own and all that but you could buy SO MUCH really awesome whisky with that kind of money.

I now have a bottle each of HP12, Talisker 10yo and Glenfarclas 12yo for 100€ in total and am pretty happy for now. Ardbeg 10yo and Aberfeldy 12yo high on the list for next buys.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
What're y'all's quarantine whiskies? Most of my bottles are pretty low so I picked up a Wild Turkey 101 and Ardbeg 10.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I have over 100 bottles so I'm good for the next decade or so

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Toebone posted:

What're y'all's quarantine whiskies? Most of my bottles are pretty low so I picked up a Wild Turkey 101 and Ardbeg 10.

I decided not to stock up on anything and rather drink through a lot of the half empty poo poo around the house. Already knocked off a Maker's 46, I have like three different kinds of Four Roses that are up next. Elijah Craig is going into my tea.

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

Also killing off low bottles, starting with a neglected bottle of Penderyn Celt and then moving on to the Laphroaig Lore I've been rationing.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

spankmeister posted:

Same but I also just picked up a highland Park twisted tattoo 16 on clearance and because I can't stop collecting good bottles when they are cheap

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Wife and I crushed a bottle of Balvenie 14 last night, just cemented it further in my scotch hierarchy as a favorite

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Redbreast 21 at the moment

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Same but I also just picked up a highland Park twisted tattoo 16 on clearance and because I can't stop collecting good bottles when they are cheap

I have the exact same problem hence the large collection because I don't actually drink that much.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

spankmeister posted:

Same but about 3 months. Maybe 6 if I really ration it out.

It's the apocalypse, you can be drat sure my good stuff is going in me first.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Odd Mutant posted:

however I paired it with sloe gin in one of those division shot glasses and it was one of those concoctions that I would've drank until ruination back when I was younger.

out of the four peanut butter whiskey's i've gotten to try i liked sheepdog the most because on the label the 70 proof is crossed out and it says 70 woof
out of all them that was the best thing

Toebone posted:

I've gotten a McKenna 10yr BiB, Buffalo Trace, Heaven Hill 7yr BiB, 1792 Single Barrel, and regular 1792. Oh and Clyde May's bourbon.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Got a few nearly empty whiskies, plus I just ordered some more Ardbeg and Laphroaig 10s and some New Riff rye I'm excited to try. Hopefully that lasts me until the world gets its poo poo together.

java
May 7, 2005

Just opened a new bottle of New Riff Single Barrel. I'm surprised at how much variation I'm getting between bottles. The one I've got right now is very heavy on the peanut buttery notes, which I hadn't really gotten from them previously.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I had a crash course in Whiskey this week. I started the week at "I don't like whiskey." and ended in "Holy poo poo Laphroaig is amazing."

I had never really considered Whiskey as a drink in the past as whatever tiny amounts I might have had in the past just burned the poo poo out of my mouth and I immediately rejected it as "not for me". Earlier this week I received a gift of some Seagram's Canadian Whisky from someone who was not into whiskey but just wanted to give what they thought was a nice gift. After giving it a couple tries, I came to the conclusion that whiskey wasn't as bad as I had thought, and I started to get interested. I read the beginning of this thread and watched a few videos and ended up buying a Jameson Irish Whiskey because it was recommended as a good, approachable beginner whiskey.

After trying the Jameson, I was honestly surprised at how much better it was than the Seagram's I had received as a gift. This led me to read and watch more and a couple of days later I ended up buying a Buffalo Trace as my first Bourbon, and holy gently caress was it good. This again led to more reading and watching and earlier today I ended up buying a Laphroaig Quarter Cask. I'll be damned if this isn't the best tasting thing I've ever put into my mouth.

Now, going back to the initial Seagram's, it tastes thin and watery by comparison, but the Buffalo Trace and Jameson hold their own in different categories. I'm incredibly grateful for the gift of the Seagram's though, because without that I wouldn't have bothered trying other whiskeys. I can't believe I've been missing out on flavors like these.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Welcome to the tribe!

And yeah, Seagram's is a pretty bad whisky overall but I'm glad it did the trick for you!

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I got a bottle of Laphroaig 10 in 2001 for my 21st birthday and it took me 9 years to finish / decide it was something I actually liked putting in my mouth.

You’re ahead of the curve.

Quarter Cask does taste better.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

Dramicus posted:

Whiskey epiphany

Welcome. Go to whiskey tastings or festivals and try as much as you can. Figure out what you like and write it down. Drinking and working on a new hobby at the same time will make you forget what you like and what you don't.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Total Wine had Redbreast Lustau for $60 versus the regular $90 I'd been seeing. Hell ya!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Toebone posted:

Knob Creek small batch, Teeling small batch rum cask (both imported cause you can't find them here), Redbreast 12, a Four Roses single barrel that's already gone and this loving thing:

that I got given as a gift because I'm "a whiskey guy" and loving hell it is pretty weird. Really the taste comes down to alcohol and essence of plank, by which I mean it tasted like sucking on a two-by-four. Like you want to spit out sawdust with every sip.

Also I'm waiting on a Buffalo Trace, which I also have to order up. It is rough finding bourbons in Norway. Plenty of Scotch though, so I've made a list of top picks I'm gonna grab when I can:

- Laphroaig Quarter Cask
- Macallan 12
- Dalwhinnie 15

Dramicus posted:

I had a crash course in Whiskey this week. I started the week at "I don't like whiskey." and ended in "Holy poo poo Laphroaig is amazing."

Very good, very good. Yeah it turns out my own problem was always that I'm apparently picky. I cannot loving stand Cognac, bitter spirits, Aquavit is sometimes tolerable (has to be, I suppose or I'd be deported), moonshine and vodka is just meh. Whiskey too, to this day there are some I can't stand but then again others are just pure liquid heaven. I drink them all neat (not that there's anything wrong with a drop of water on some) these days because I want to savour the flavour as long as I can. It really all comes down to trying as many different kinds as you can and find the ones that you really really like. I generally like Speyside whisky over Islay, I generally don't like irish whiskey, I'm pretty meh on japanese and I've come to really really enjoy certain bourbons. It's a thinking man's drink. Do your research and you'll always have a great taste to accompany you at a party or a pub.

Unfortunately, lately I've been getting wicked heartburn whenever I go a few glasses deep which is disappointing to me since I've always held my booze pretty well. It might be because I'm a fat lazy office drone these days and it might help to get a lot more excercise, so that's what I'm gonna try first. Yes that's right. I'm gonna start excercising and taking care of my body so I can drink more whiskey.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I mean look, Scottish kiltsmen ran around all day, which is why they could drink entire kegs of this stuff.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

silvergoose posted:

I mean look, Scottish kiltsmen ran around all day, which is why they could drink entire kegs of this stuff.

Yeah that's exactly my logic. Probably going to have to make my own kilt though.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Nice piece of fish posted:

Unfortunately, lately I've been getting wicked heartburn whenever I go a few glasses deep which is disappointing to me since I've always held my booze pretty well. It might be because I'm a fat lazy office drone these days and it might help to get a lot more excercise, so that's what I'm gonna try first. Yes that's right. I'm gonna start excercising and taking care of my body so I can drink more whiskey.

Try some good anejo or extra anjero tequila. Padrino, Don julio, codigo, avion. Patron and Casamigos are overpriced swill and you should never spend a dime on them.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Knob Creek small batch, Teeling small batch rum cask (both imported cause you can't find them here), Redbreast 12, a Four Roses single barrel that's already gone and this loving thing:

that I got given as a gift because I'm "a whiskey guy" and loving hell it is pretty weird. Really the taste comes down to alcohol and essence of plank, by which I mean it tasted like sucking on a two-by-four. Like you want to spit out sawdust with every sip.

I don't know if you should be thankful or not that you weren't gifted the Floki "Sheep Dung Reserve"
A few years ago someone brought that to a group tasting and it was about as pleasant as it sounds, but from your notes, for the novelty it may be better than the regular

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Dramicus posted:

Gooble gobble gooble gobble! I think you're the fastest from zero to enjoying a liquid tire fire but in a good way I've seen, but I'm also a Laphroaig lover and glad for the company. Try Lagavulin when you get a chance.

Also, I love this video series for getting a feel for how to properly pronounce Scotch names:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4hOxBSG4fW7tYbNuLq-R8kU8Kx9z8Bva

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Dramicus posted:

I had never really considered Whiskey as a drink in the past as whatever tiny amounts I might have had in the past just burned the poo poo out of my mouth and I immediately rejected it as "not for me". Earlier this week I received a gift of some Seagram's Canadian Whisky from someone who was not into whiskey but just wanted to give what they thought was a nice gift. After giving it a couple tries, I came to the conclusion that whiskey wasn't as bad as I had thought, and I started to get interested. I read the beginning of this thread and watched a few videos and ended up buying a Jameson Irish Whiskey because it was recommended as a good, approachable beginner whiskey.

After trying the Jameson, I was honestly surprised at how much better it was than the Seagram's I had received as a gift. This led me to read and watch more and a couple of days later I ended up buying a Buffalo Trace as my first Bourbon, and holy gently caress was it good. This again led to more reading and watching and earlier today I ended up buying a Laphroaig Quarter Cask. I'll be damned if this isn't the best tasting thing I've ever put into my mouth.

Now, going back to the initial Seagram's, it tastes thin and watery by comparison, but the Buffalo Trace and Jameson hold their own in different categories. I'm incredibly grateful for the gift of the Seagram's though, because without that I wouldn't have bothered trying other whiskeys. I can't believe I've been missing out on flavors like these.

Kinda sounds like how I got into whiskey a few years ago. A friend had some leftover Dewars White Label he didn't want and it ended up being the best whiskey I'd ever had to that point. Turns out that the people I hung around with when I was young had the worst taste in booze and always bought cheap lovely whiskey so I thought I hated it. I'm not super high on Dewar's anymore as I've had a lot of really nice whiskey since then, but it's still alright.

Really don't like Laphroaig though. :barf:

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

spankmeister posted:

Welcome to the tribe!

And yeah, Seagram's is a pretty bad whisky overall but I'm glad it did the trick for you!

Thanks! I think the reason the Seagram's worked was that it's mostly just a little front-end sweetness and not much else, so it didn't kick my rear end around the room and worked to break my prejudice against harder alcohols. Until then I had mostly been a sake drinker, and not much else.

TobinHatesYou posted:

I got a bottle of Laphroaig 10 in 2001 for my 21st birthday and it took me 9 years to finish / decide it was something I actually liked putting in my mouth.

I think age might have made a difference for me as well, as most of the whiskey tasting I had done in the past was in my 20's, and I guess the palate is more sensitive/different. Now I'll be 32 in a couple months and I imagine my tastes have changed quite a bit since then.

Gravitee posted:

Welcome. Go to whiskey tastings or festivals and try as much as you can. Figure out what you like and write it down. Drinking and working on a new hobby at the same time will make you forget what you like and what you don't.

Unfortunately festivals and events will probably be off the cards for the next few weeks or so due to the roni, but I'll absolutely keep a little notebook with some notes about what I liked or not, good suggestion.

Very good, very good. Yeah it turns out my own problem was always that I'm apparently picky. I cannot loving stand Cognac, bitter spirits, Aquavit is sometimes tolerable (has to be, I suppose or I'd be deported), moonshine and vodka is just meh. Whiskey too, to this day there are some I can't stand but then again others are just pure liquid heaven. I drink them all neat (not that there's anything wrong with a drop of water on some) these days because I want to savour the flavour as long as I can. It really all comes down to trying as many different kinds as you can and find the ones that you really really like. I generally like Speyside whisky over Islay, I generally don't like irish whiskey, I'm pretty meh on japanese and I've come to really really enjoy certain bourbons. It's a thinking man's drink. Do your research and you'll always have a great taste to accompany you at a party or a pub.

I was similar until recently. I had settled on sake as my drink because everything else I had tasted was either too bitter or sour to be enjoyable. I never knew that whiskey was a world of honey, vanilla and glazed ham just waiting to be discovered.

Nth Doctor posted:

Gooble gobble gooble gobble! I think you're the fastest from zero to enjoying a liquid tire fire but in a good way I've seen, but I'm also a Laphroaig lover and glad for the company. Try Lagavulin when you get a chance.

Also, I love this video series for getting a feel for how to properly pronounce Scotch names:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4hOxBSG4fW7tYbNuLq-R8kU8Kx9z8Bva

I had read a lot of comments about Laphroaig's taste and maybe my tongue is broken, but to me it tastes like a smoked ham coated in sweet mint, or something to that effect. Absolutely nothing unpleasant to it at all. Maybe being a black coffee drinker has prepared my tongue for dark notes.

As for the Lagavulin, my local liquor store has the Lagavulin 16 right next to the Laphroig Quarter Cask. I'm sure that I'll have a bottle in my cabinet before long.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

That's about what it tastes like to me too. Smoked meat. I'm pretty sure anyone who likes peat is broken, but I can live with that.

My wife gags if she even catches a whiff of the stuff from across the room.

Laga 16 is good but overpriced imo. I vastly prefer Ardbeg Corryvreckan and Uigeadail, both of which are less expensive in my area.

Enigma fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 15, 2020

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I don't know if you should be thankful or not that you weren't gifted the Floki "Sheep Dung Reserve"
A few years ago someone brought that to a group tasting and it was about as pleasant as it sounds, but from your notes, for the novelty it may be better than the regular

Just to be absolutely sure I poured a thimble just now just to taste.

The nose is like freshly cut birch timber, dry wood and birch sawdust inside of a sawmill. Imagine walking into a room in a house under construction with a freshly laid hardwood floor and sawdust from the work everywhere. There's also a strong hint of varnish, like some sort of treatment for the wood that is old school, not like creosote but maybe like linseed oil? Basically, it smells to gently caress out of fusel alcohol. Slight slight hint of wool actually.

Taste. Still like loving sucking a two-by-four. Some sort of wood preparation. Nothing of wool, nothing of malt, nothing of peat, nothing of salt, nothing of smoke. Just almost a mealy, grainy quality like I'm drinking some sort of varnish mixed with sawdust. I imagine this is what the inside of a fresly made barrel tastes like. That and alcohol. It's very distinctive though, hard to mistake for anything else like for instance a good drink of some kind.

All in all it's loving terrible. It might be something cool if you put it in a barrel and left it there for twelve years, but this ain't it.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Just got the New Riff Rye BiB and drat this is good. It's 100% rye, too.

I wonder what Faustian bargain they struck up to be this good at whiskey so quickly.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Enigma posted:

Just got the New Riff Rye BiB and drat this is good. It's 100% rye, too.

I wonder what Faustian bargain they struck up to be this good at whiskey so quickly.

They probably sourced it from MGP.
e: looked it up and they didn't. Good show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Enigma posted:

That's about what it tastes like to me too. Smoked meat. I'm pretty sure anyone who likes peat is broken, but I can live with that.

My wife gags if she even catches a whiff of the stuff from across the room.

Laga 16 is good but overpriced imo. I vastly prefer Ardbeg Corryvreckan and Uigeadail, both of which are less expensive in my area.

The Lagavulin 16 did look a little pricey, but I doubt I'll be buying it every day. I've gotta try it at least once, maybe alongside some Ardbeg which they seemed to have a lot of.