Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Kanfy posted:

Ori 2 might be the newest platforming hotness but back here in 2018 I can finally declare my mission to scale a mountain of corpses to reach a berry in the moon a complete success. :toot:

Good Twitter thread this morning for fellow Celeste fans.

https://twitter.com/MattThorson/status/1238338574220546049

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Kanfy posted:

Ori 2 might be the newest platforming hotness but back here in 2018 I can finally declare my mission to scale a mountain of corpses to reach a berry in the moon a complete success. :toot:

There's a lot of other strawberrries, you know.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Anno posted:

Good Twitter thread this morning for fellow Celeste fans.

https://twitter.com/MattThorson/status/1238338574220546049

Neat, you definitely notice some of those once the timing requirements and such get stupid tight towards the end.

ultrafilter posted:

There's a lot of other strawberrries, you know.

Fortunately metal makes for poor pie topping and can thus safely be ignored.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Terraria is doing a thing

quote:

Terraria: Journey's End Vanity Contest
Greetings Terrarians!

The development team at Re-Logic were having a chat the other day about just how creative the Terraria community is - from art to music to in-game creations, you all are simply amazing. That got us to thinking... what better way to reward that creativity in the final Journey's End update than to give all of you creative geniuses a once-in-a-lifetime chance to get your very own vanity armor design into the game itself?

That's right - we are giving everyone a chance to submit their own original ideas for Terraria Vanity Armor/Outfits (Head/Torso/Legs), and the winners will see their ideas make it into the game for the Journey's End update! This is your chance to design your own brand new vanity outfit that you'd like to see added to the game! This is sort of like finding that golden ticket and getting to visit the chocolate factory, except there is no tour and no lifetime supply of chocolate... only fame and glory and bragging rights forever listed in one of the best video games ever crafted.

As you might imagine, there are some rules and guidelines and such that are important for you to follow - however, inside of these guidelines, have at it! Anything your minds can dream up, we want to hear about it! You can also check out the Contest Submission Thread to see current submissions!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I had no interest in State of Decay 2 but now I do.

If you're interested in it, be warned of these things:

- it is not a story-heavy game. Despite the scenario I described I doubt it'll be fleshed out much more.
- zombie apocalypse. lots of scavenging and combat with zombos
- you need to log into your Microsoft account to play, similar to the Halo thing. why? idkkkk, it's an artifact of that store.

I'm personally loving it and need to play more for a proper review, but talk about your incredible first impression. Opening with the threat of a zombie infection, then letting you cure it, having your lady declare that in a lovely world, victories are important, and best of all: two living lesbians in love? What is this! I love it!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

SelenicMartian posted:

Too late, I've got Gandhi and FitL in the mail (

FitL is the one I P500ed a few years ago - very good choice!

VVV Oh man, tempting VVV

Stickman fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 13, 2020

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Stickman posted:

FitL is the one I P500ed a few years ago - very good choice!
There's a P500 expansion and AI pack now.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

StrixNebulosa posted:

- you need to log into your Microsoft account to play, similar to the Halo thing. why? idkkkk, it's an artifact of that store.
It's cause it uses it for multiplayer so there won't be 3 separate communities on PC

I hope the multiplayer works after the patch cause they've had a support article up for 6 months apologizing for the multiplayer being rather broken and promising to fix it soon. I've only managed to stay connected to a friend for 10 mins.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The new patch for SOD2 seems very good so far. I haven't gotten to play much yet after the update but popped in for a bit earlier and the graphics look much sharper, it feels more optimized, the UI is improved, and there's a new map and weapons. It's still got that State of Decay jank but hits a perfect balance of open world zombie survival game and town/community management thing that is right up my alley.

One lovely change with this patch though is it doesn't look like you can deposit stuff from the back of your truck/car anymore? I used to dump all my stuff in there to quickly deposit everything back at base but it looks like maybe they did away with that for some reason. Gotta walk the bags to the bag dropoff and the loot to the separate deposit point. Kind of a bummer.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

How's the SOD2 multiplayer?

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Just played through Gorogoa. Wow, what an incredibly satisfying experience. Thoroughly beautiful and dreamlike in the best possible way.
I bought it for 50% off, and really feel I got my moneys worth in that 2hrs or so.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/557600/Gorogoa/

Anyone got suggestions for similarly experiential games? Beautiful and dreamlike and slowly unfolding? Genre not important.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

FuzzySlippers posted:

If you can get it to work it's great. The host makes the story/outpost decisions but otherwise it's identical to the single player experience, each person just takes control of a different survivor. Although you will need to skip time occasionally to recover stamina, especially if you're running with 4 people.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Mierenneuker posted:

You only need the Xbox Beta to start the downloads, from there on it's all Microsoft Store. Beyond inconsistent download speeds, I definitely had other problems with at times. Some were fixed by restarting Windows. The ones were nothing seemed to work were solved by updating Windows first and then the apps.

It's also weird with free DLC, to the point where it might be better to just wait with downloading those until you've finished downloading the game itself.
Cheers for this advice, it solved the issue.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Stickman posted:

VVV Oh man, tempting VVV
The expansion even has its own bot, because:
If the US withdraws, they change completely into special forces+consultants guiding ARVN.
ARVN and NVA get tanks.
Tanks give extra reasons to control roads.
Tanks gently caress poo poo up.
Tanks can be captured.

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 14, 2020

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i wish underhero was better, the combat is just too slow

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

The 7th Guest posted:

i wish underhero was better, the combat is just too slow

It speeds up later on in the sense that enemies become more demanding.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Mierenneuker posted:

Oh, a promo email from Steam.

“You are receiving this email because you played a game in the Borderlands Franchise series”

Tales from the Borderlands. Did 2K put you up to this, Steam?

Very unusual for Steam to make a bad recommendation.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Nah they got paid a ton. I own one Borderlands title that I reviewed with a thumbs down, yet still I got splayed with a huge fullpage email advert for its launch. Not about the hundred other titles launching daily related to things I've bought, just this one. $$$

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

Just played through Gorogoa. Wow, what an incredibly satisfying experience. Thoroughly beautiful and dreamlike in the best possible way.
I bought it for 50% off, and really feel I got my moneys worth in that 2hrs or so.

Anyone got suggestions for similarly experiential games? Beautiful and dreamlike and slowly unfolding? Genre not important.

Gris

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

Your mileage may vary on how well they fit your requirements.

Vignettes
Everybody's Gone to Rapture
Kind Words
A Short Hike (In fact most of what's available for free for the moment on the Epic Store might fit the bill)
Tiny Echo
Ethereal
Star Seed Pilgrim
TimeFrame
All Our Asias
Year Walk
Islands Non-Places
Triennale Game Collection
Eidolon
Engare
Future Unfolding
Abzu
Meadow
The Cat and the Coup

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Serephina posted:

Nah they got paid a ton. I own one Borderlands title that I reviewed with a thumbs down, yet still I got splayed with a huge fullpage email advert for its launch. Not about the hundred other titles launching daily related to things I've bought, just this one. $$$
Why would they even have to do that, didn't they get all the users and money from their EGS launch? :haw:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

orcane posted:

Why would they even have to do that, didn't they get all the users and money from their EGS launch? :haw:

Steam’s probably the one pushing it, not Gearbox.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

The Old City: Leviathan
Homesick

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

Oh, a promo email from Steam.

“You are receiving this email because you played a game in the Borderlands Franchise series”

Tales from the Borderlands. Did 2K put you up to this, Steam?

There's a Borderlands Franchise page on Steam that includes the Tales game and the holy Steam algorithm decided to let you know about the hot new Borderlands game.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Oh wow Ori 2 does run like a heap of poo poo.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Remember when you could get that nice clean list of all your games in steam and see the icon that denotes whether or not the game supports cloud saves? How the gently caress do I get that list to appear like that now?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
They made the UI trash and there's nothing you can do to fix it. Gotta love Valve's obsession with making the user experience worse!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I like the feed I get telling me about games I play that have been updated recently. That's a pretty sweet addition.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I've gotten used to the UI and have no complaints....except for how bad the lag is if I try to load the entire list of uninstalled games. Trying to scroll through that is a sloooooooow process.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've gotten used to the UI and have no complaints....except for how bad the lag is if I try to load the entire list of uninstalled games. Trying to scroll through that is a sloooooooow process.
It really helps to turn on low-performance and low-bandwidth mode, if you haven't done it already. My client is fairly responsive ever since I did that.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

NaissanceE
also
FRACT OSC
Kairo
Flower
ImprintX
Ilamentia
Echo of the Wilds

there was a sim city 4 key here, it is gone now

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 14, 2020

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

FuzzySlippers posted:

I haven't tried it since the game first came out but apart from the difficulty people seem to be having with it working right now it's actually pretty neat. If someone else hosts you bring in one of your survivors and get to bring whatever you have on you back to your game when you're done.

They do a neat thing with looting too where lootable items in a building show up as different colors, and only you can loot stuff that's your color. To accommodate this they basically double the amount of containers you can loot in a building. If you have 4 people in a session almost every building is filled to the brim with lootable stuff.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

It really helps to turn on low-performance and low-bandwidth mode, if you haven't done it already. My client is fairly responsive ever since I did that.

Oh I've done that. It's just that I have 2,000+ games and steam hates that.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Does anyone know of a way of extending the range of an xbox one controller? My PC is in my bedroom with an xbox one usb receiver, and I’d like to play games on the projector on my living room, which is connected by a 40ft HDMI cable.

I was hoping that my controller’s signal would reach that distance through the wall and be okay, and it’s very close to working, but it disconnects every ten minutes or so which is not workable.

I can’t really move my pc closer, and I can’t move the living room setup either. So, that leaves either somehow boosting the signal of the controller-to-receiver, getting some 3rd party controller with longer range, or failing that, getting a wired controller with 40 feet of cable (that could potentially be possible with a usb extender? Not sure. It certainly wouldn’t be elegant.)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
You could simply use an USB extension cable to move the receiver closer.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

Does anyone know of a way of extending the range of an xbox one controller? My PC is in my bedroom with an xbox one usb receiver, and I’d like to play games on the projector on my living room, which is connected by a 40ft HDMI cable.

I was hoping that my controller’s signal would reach that distance through the wall and be okay, and it’s very close to working, but it disconnects every ten minutes or so which is not workable.

I can’t really move my pc closer, and I can’t move the living room setup either. So, that leaves either somehow boosting the signal of the controller-to-receiver, getting some 3rd party controller with longer range, or failing that, getting a wired controller with 40 feet of cable (that could potentially be possible with a usb extender? Not sure. It certainly wouldn’t be elegant.)

I'm also curious about this. When I'm on my couch if I hold the controller above my head I can usually get it to register. But if I hold it like a normal person, it only reads about half of my button clicks. I'm probably going to move in the next six months or so, but I was wanting to know what my options were in case my new apartment has the same set up for my TV and computer.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Cardiovorax posted:

You could simply use an USB extension cable to move the receiver closer.

drat, I never considered that! That would probably work.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Anonymous Robot posted:

drat, I never considered that! That would probably work.
It should. As long as it's still cabled, it won't even introduce any additional input lag.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I looooved this. There's not much to it, it's a short walking sim a bit like Dear Esther or one of those, but the world is bizarre in all the best ways and left me catching my breath often. And the music's great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahRhXfZdyGE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

K8.0 posted:

They made the UI trash and there's nothing you can do to fix it. Gotta love Valve's obsession with making the user experience worse!

I like how the entire Steam UI is still stuck at 1920x1080 or bust.