Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

like im not actively looking to end it but i dearly wish it would all end

breaks my heart to read this even though I often feel the same

😓

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

rotor posted:

100% not gonna read all those words

i read some of them op

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

p sure i have the bug death approaches

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Jonny 290 posted:

just DO ITTTTT

I dont want to spend the next three years hunting raccoons for food and learning how to make my own soap out of raccoon fat and mcmansion ash just to be told i still don't qualify for a mortgage, keep renting, oops they all do credit checks hope you got a bed in your truck

i hate to break this to you but this disease mostly targets the unproductive members of our society. we're not going to lose any capacity to produce food. if it really comes down to it the powers that be will let go and just let the olds die

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I mean it targets everyone it just kills retirement age people mostly

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i hate to break this to you but this disease mostly targets the unproductive members of our society. we're not going to lose any capacity to produce food. if it really comes down to it the powers that be will let go and just let the olds die

i don’t think it mostly targets computer touchers though?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

employer has closed all offices globally so even though it hasn’t picked up in NZ yet, we’re all wfh now

am in the middle of a move to a new apartment so needed to quickly rebuild the network equipment and workstation at the new place and it’s still a mess

had a prior job where I was wfh mwf so already pretty set in terms of equipment, but a lot of it had been in boxes since late 2018 so wasn’t sure if it all still worked - going fine so far tho

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

echinopsis posted:

the antibodies we create that recognise pathogens require unique antigens to identify. once our immune system can identify an antigen it can usually take care of it very well

our immune system is mental. it was described in university as something like a random protein generator and those proteins will “stick” to things and are antibodies and they act like tags for other immune cells to swallow up. it was described as if the protein stuck to our own cells it could tell so it didn’t use them (this always felt like an obscene simplification when it was taught) that’s what an autoimmune disorder is, where our immune system tags our own cells for destruction. it’s possible type 1 diabetes results from the body creating antibodies for some kind of virus and those antibodies also bind to the beta cells in the pancreas so that the immune system attacks the beta cells thinking it’s a virus. it’s possible we will be able to immunise against this in the future

rheumatic fever can lead to a similar situation there the antibodies will bind to cells in the heart (to do with the valves?) and so the immune system will attack the heart so that’s why you get this weird situation where rheumatic fever leading to CV problems

the H and N in flu strands like H1N1 represent the two most common antigen families expressed on the flu virus, although they aren’t the only ones

I’m not sure why some immune responses last longer than other though. why we can give the immune system dead cells for some things and live attenuated for others

and it’s also worth nothing most viruses don’t target all our cells but just a limited number. things like coronavirus attack the respiratory cells.

measles is nasty because it attacks our immune cells itself and is one of the worst viruses because it can “erase” some or all of your immune “memory”

most common cold are either rhinovirus or coronavirus. why this one in particular is much more deadly is something I’d like to understand

also sometimes in healthy people we can get situations where our cells lyse and release huge volumes of viral particles into our body and our immune system sees this as an extreme attack and can have something called a “cytokine storm” and lead to shock and this is how you get very healthy people dying of flu, different to vulnerable people dying from respiratory failure from the flu

just some ill-remembered info for ya. it’s probably all wrong now

nice effort post mate

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

cheque_some posted:

whole team got up in arms about the importance of social distancing and flattening the growth curve on covid-19 in response to hearing that our department would not be allowing everyone to wfh because "it looks bad if people aren't in the office"

this is despite the larger organization urging it

"Just wash your hands, you will be fine. You guys are young and idealistic, and you're all about 'power to the people', but you have to balance that with the needs of the organization"

all of our jobs can be done fine from home

what is wrong with people

This is my job too but on Monday I think I'm just going to work from home whether they say i can or not.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if someone insists you come in but you think your sick, stay away from the rest of your coworkers, instead go directly to the responsible party and plead your case to their face.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
my boss is in full panic mode and has ordered everyone to have any discussions with their coworkers (if they even want to come into the office) to do so 6 feet away from each other.

nobody is allowed to congregate in the conference room. any kind of meetings we have to have should be done via gotomeeting or whatever it is.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

loving c levels honestly value "it looks bad" over "a bunch of my employees died"

I think it's sunk cost regret like "why are we paying so much rent?" unfortunately I think a lot of hot desking is going to come out the other end of this crisis

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

the gig economy is going to spread the virus around so much. no such thing as a paid sick leave when your "contract" is an app

also what's the over under on americans starting to shoot people who cough/look sick/exist within a week? :)

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Penisface posted:

also what's the over under on americans starting to shoot people who cough/look sick/exist within a week? :)

well you just declared it, 1 week

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Jonny 290 posted:

here’s some good news for a pick-me-up:

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200314/more-than-80-of-texas-nursing-homes-cited-recently-for-infection-control-problems

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

well you just declared it, 1 week

Under. I bet it's already happened

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Jonny 290 posted:

Ronnie 290

srs though if you don't have at least some form of social angst in this day and age there is likely something wrong with you.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
i did as a kid but then i grew up

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

PurdWerfect posted:

already wfh 1 or 2 days a week, so when we went full time earlier this week i pretty much have it down. we've been told to wfh through april 3rd but everyone's kinda figuring it will be until summer at least. i'm waiting to see if the spring quarter happens all online or if it happens at all.

a bigger problem for me is dfh, as i currently never drink at home but am instead a barfly.

i'm 59 and i'm stupid enough to be a smoker, so i'm more at risk then i need to be, but if i don't go to the bar my health will improve and ill probably just taper smoking down to nothing. so it'll either kill me or make me get healthier

my inlaws will be fairly inlikely to survive if they get it as they're in their early 90s and my mom probably woudn't survive it either and i have mixed feelings about her.

the person i worry about most is someone super close to me who is immunocompromised and i can't imagine the hole in my soul if she ceased to be.

still, working in sweats is nice

please don’t die :(

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jJ203Q-lyk

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

qirex posted:

loving c levels honestly value "it looks bad" over "a bunch of my employees died"

I think it's sunk cost regret like "why are we paying so much rent?" unfortunately I think a lot of hot desking is going to come out the other end of this crisis

i think it's just some boomer thing like, if I can't talk to a person face to face, then how is anything going to get done? but yeah, i did make the joke that yeah, it's a national emergency, but it's still important to have that facetime

other boomer thing: "I drive an hour into the city from the sticks where I live on an acre, so i'm already putting myself at risk. for those of you already living in the city, you're not at any more risk by coming into the office!"

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Penisface posted:

the gig economy is going to spread the virus around so much. no such thing as a paid sick leave when your "contract" is an app

I'm only saying this because I see lots of gig economy news now that I work for one, but uber, lyft, instacart and doordash all have some form of "we can pay up to 2 weeks if you had an actual diagnosis, for the next month or so". I think postmates rolled out reinbursing for all medical expenses around covid-19 and "no-contact" deliveries (leaving food at the door), which instacart also rolled out.

my personal view: this is far from enough. Also although it might be safer to have easily available no-contact delivery for food and groceries rather than having at-risk people go out because they must, in ideal cases, it wouldn't be left to the free market to care for these people so the whole point is moot.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MononcQc posted:

I'm only saying this because I see lots of gig economy news now that I work for one, but uber, lyft, instacart and doordash all have some form of "we can pay up to 2 weeks if you had an actual diagnosis, for the next month or so".

oh, nice. so you just go and get yourself one of those tests done and

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

cheque_some posted:

i think it's just some boomer thing like, if I can't talk to a person face to face, then how is anything going to get done? but yeah, i did make the joke that yeah, it's a national emergency, but it's still important to have that facetime

other boomer thing: "I drive an hour into the city from the sticks where I live on an acre, so i'm already putting myself at risk. for those of you already living in the city, you're not at any more risk by coming into the office!"

also lots of management boomers are workaholics that resent being home so keeping people coming in let’s them continue coming in

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

they don’t do any work when noone’s looking directly over their shoulder so they expect you wouldn’t either

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

oh, nice. so you just go and get yourself one of those tests done and

yep extremely working system

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

lancemantis posted:

also lots of management boomers are workaholics that resent being home so keeping people coming in let’s them continue coming in

this is my boss, he’s in another state and telling his team that we’re essential and keep coming in

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

a coworker used to work on power infrastructure stuff. they’d be sent home for pretty much anything because they were actually essential and the team couldn’t all be sick at the same time

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

France closed all except grocery stores pharmacies gas stations and gov buildings

apparently it’s a stage 3 epidemic

is this bad?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Doing an emergency shop to stock up

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Penisface posted:

France closed all except grocery stores pharmacies gas stations and gov buildings

apparently it’s a stage 3 epidemic

is this bad?

well, it's worse than a stage 2 but not quite as bad as a stage 4.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Sagebrush posted:

no no no that’s backwards. it works like defcon

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

While this is true, stage 3 is also worse than stage 5 and 6. Stage 4 is the worst one and we are actually in stage 4 right now.

At least that's what the CDC's Pandemic Intervals Framework was but all those guys got fired two years ago lol.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

sad that c&c remastered won’t be ready before the inevitable 14 day self-isolation order is given

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Doing an emergency shop to stock up

im peepin thos hertz :eyepop:

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

lancemantis posted:

our Tokyo office is in full WFH mode, the only previous experience they have with this is when they did a pilot for about 500 staff a few years ago. now we have 150k+ people WFH. for some of them this is the first time they have seen their wives and families during the week for 10 to 20 years.

edit: so if they can deal with it that scale of change to their culture a bunch of confused white people can manage

Trimson Grondag 3 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 14, 2020

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

our Tokyo office is in full WFH mode, the only previous experience they have with this is when they did a pilot for about 500 staff a few years ago. now we have 150k+ people WFH. for some of them this is the first time they have seen their wives and families during the week for 10 to 20 years.

edit: so if they can deal with it that scale of change to their culture a bunch of confused white people can manage

this seems pretty generous to confused white people

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

the only previous experience they have with this is when they did a pilot for about 500 staff a few years ago. now we have 150k+ people WFH.

holy moly the admins must be full blown :sludgepal:

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

all the computers i touch go in planes

our pilot for tomorrow just got back from red zone florida

pray for me day crew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kind Friend
Sep 9, 2013

for yall that are still being forced to come in for no other reason to please your boss: have you considered organizing your coworkers to refuse? like i know its easier said than done but if there were ever an opportunity...