Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

look when south korea sends cleaners into the poor neighborhoods, you know this poo poo is real and real fuckin dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

saying corona is no big deal is some ableist privilege for sure. got a coworker with chronic respiratory issues and it’s absolutely no joke for her. i do wonder if advice and action is too much focused on the general population and not enough on vulnerable people but idk

It's the same dipshit idea people have about the flu. "I don't get sick, I'm not worried about it." Great, you can still carry it and transmit it to people it kills.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

your friend wicka posted:

It's the same dipshit idea people have about the flu. "I don't get sick, I'm not worried about it." Great, you can still carry it and transmit it to people it kills.
yep

get your drat shots

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

yep

get your drat shots

They fuckin give em away these days too, you can't trip and fall in early autumn without landing on a flu shot.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

A lot of people around here are really upset freaking out about what to do now that they'll have to watch their kids. They're talking about having to take fmla leave. That tells you everything you need to know about this country - that for people with good jobs with sick and A-leave still need to worry about choosing between caring for their kids or working to make sure they can pay for their bills.

God help those worse off.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

it always kills the poor and vulnerable first. 'it' being whatever happens to kill people.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I am not personally worried thanks to my powerful and handsome immune system but I care about other people so I am forced to do a small amount of extra preventative work, and that’s bullshit.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

God loving drat it I hate my country's president.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Shard posted:

My only problem with Harry Potter is structural. I feel like Ron needed to be a more useful character and also they needed to have the friends be from each of the houses. The books did a real good job of setting up all these issues with the setting that the characters could have tackled like the danger at the school, the slavery, etc but in the end Harry was just setting things back to the status que. Voldermort should have been all about that life while Harry and crew should have been about creating a better world.

The SPEW subplot is entirely about how the slaves like being slaves as long as they're treated well and Hermione is a bleeding heart idiot for trying to help them. The books are really bad if you put any political lens on them.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
everyone told me i couldn't say Harry Potter sucked until i read the books, so i read the first one. it sucks. it's a Scooby Doo plot. oh, you thought the bad guy was the guy who's been acting bad the whole novel? it was actually this nobody guy introduced at the beginning who you have since forgotten about, i tricked you, i'm jk rowling.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Seth Rollins posted:

everyone told me i couldn't say Harry Potter sucked until i read the books, so i read the first one. it sucks. it's a Scooby Doo plot. oh, you thought the bad guy was the guy who's been acting bad the whole novel? it was actually this nobody guy introduced at the beginning who you have since forgotten about, i tricked you, i'm jk rowling.
One of the more clever things the series does is age up with the characters. The first book is unabashedly a children's book, and by the middle, it's YA fiction, then at the end it's just high fantasy.

But JK Rowling is a piece of poo poo racist transphobic douchecanoe, so gently caress those books forever.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I think having the books age up with the readers and characters really helped make them the cultural force they are. But you should also eventually age out of them and realize they're not a guide to life.

Much like Hamilton I like the piece of art but I hate what the art has come to represent. Rowling herself also has some really poo poo opinions.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Tolkien did it first and better.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
read a Terry Pratchett

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Pratchett good. The best Discworld is either Mort or The Truh

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

small gods is my favourite one i think but its been years and years since i read any of them

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
The best thing JK Rowling ever did was proclaim all wizards poo poo and pissed on the floor or in their robes or pants or whatever and then cast magic poopus-disappearus spells and just the mental image of how that would actually work in society is just loving hilarious to me

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i hate the ending of just about everything and don't want to start any of it. That's why wrestling is my friend

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Best part of Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit (both of which I love) is this story:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

This gave me a hearty laugh

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Jerusalem posted:

lmao owned

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
we are all going to loving die lol

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

WatermelonGun posted:

Eventually, yeah

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
man, parasocial hell is a Great video essay, period

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

coconono posted:

look when south korea sends cleaners into the poor neighborhoods, you know this poo poo is real and real fuckin dangerous.

Living in South Korea, the roads are just as dirty now in the nice neighborhoods as they were 6 months ago which is funny to me even though that's not what you're really talking about nor meant to evoke in my brain.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I stand by what I said in the AEW thread, Daikatana was good.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I beat Shadow of the Colossus. Don’t see what the fuss was about.

Also I bought a shotgun. So there’s that. Gun stores be crazy y’all.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

WatermelonGun posted:

Can people shut up with stupid posts like this? It literally does nothing and "loling but not" about whether something will be an apocalypse or how hopeless everything is is really messed up. This poo poo is why hysteria takes hold.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

From Daikatana to Yakuza...it seems like so many goons have bought the same games.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Can people shut up with stupid posts like this? It literally does nothing and "loling but not" about whether something will be an apocalypse or how hopeless everything is is really messed up. This poo poo is why hysteria takes hold.

Agreed, here at work at the liquor store I'm constantly hearing poo poo from almost every customer joking about stocking up for the covid-19. It's loving annoying and obnoxious.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jiro posted:

Agreed, here at work at the liquor store I'm constantly hearing poo poo from almost every customer joking about stocking up for the covid-19. It's loving annoying and obnoxious.

What if I’m stocking up because I never loved my parents?

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

SamuraiFoochs posted:

it was a bad post but you are in absolutely no position to complain about anyone else being a downer itt

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
poo poo is hosed up and people are scared; lots of different emotions are happening and all are valid.

I think maybe taking stuff out on people in a negative way isn’t that great but outbursts are understandable and even somewhat healthy. I think all of you are great.

I think we’d all like everyone to be happy and in high spirits. Here’s a photo of a good boy who cannot get any kind of virus:

He is too dumb for viruses. Viruses see him and see basically a chair. He good boy.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

CobiWann posted:

What if I’m stocking up because I never loved my parents?

So like, a normal day?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Coaaab posted:

man, parasocial hell is a Great video essay, period
It was super fun watching Shannon go from message board moderator with a tiny YouTube channel to somebody loving huge celebrities talk about.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
I wanna hang out with that dog and also most other dogs.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I’m watching Perfect Blue. Know nothing about it apart from it being a classic and also terrifying

The main character is learning how to use the internet and the first thing she finds is someone’s extremely creepy fanpage of her. That’s the internet for ya, even in 1997 lol

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

extradite THIS! posted:

I’m watching Perfect Blue. Know nothing about it apart from it being a classic and also terrifying

The main character is learning how to use the internet and the first thing she finds is someone’s extremely creepy fanpage of her. That’s the internet for ya, even in 1997 lol

Perfect Blue is a wonderful mind gently caress movie from Satoshi Kon. All of his work is a wonderful mind gently caress. Highly recommend Paranoia Agent.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I am not personally worried thanks to my powerful and handsome immune system but I care about other people so I am forced to do a small amount of extra preventative work, and that’s bullshit.
staring at my hands and wondering how i could be so violent towards germs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Here's a hot take: Shenmue >>> any Yakuza game