Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
SDSU will be losing Yanni Wetzell and KJ Faegin, but will return everyone else and gain Nathan Mensah who missed almost the whole season with a pulmonary embolism.

30-2 won't be a thing but we should still be pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I could see Flynn leaving early

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I hadn't considered that but yeah, I could see Flynn leaving. Not sure what his draft prospects are

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
NCAA has granted another year of eligibility to all spring sport athletes. Decision on winter sports (basketball) could come soon. Could have a major impact for a lot of schools if that happens, especially teams with really good but not NBA level seniors.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

NCAA has granted another year of eligibility to all spring sport athletes. Decision on winter sports (basketball) could come soon. Could have a major impact for a lot of schools if that happens, especially teams with really good but not NBA level seniors.

It’s a nice gesture for another shot at the tournament but they all played a full regular season.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Udoka is going to positively destroy all in his path as a 5th year senior

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Assuming they have their degree, why would they stick around for no pay when they can make money going abroad once it is safe to do so?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Konstantin posted:

Assuming they have their degree, why would they stick around for no pay when they can make money going abroad once it is safe to do so?

Maybe to secure some stability incase this pandemic lasts awhile

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Did they increase scholarship limits, or just give out free years?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Are they gonna waive scholarship limits or something?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
I have no idea how they are going to make the extra year work. Just heard the news and found it interesting, especially if the make it happen for the winter sports. I would think they'd have to increase scholarship limit or else you screw over the incoming class instead.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The NJCAA is still hopeful of finishing up their basketball tournaments in late April.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

Udoka is going to positively destroy all in his path as a 5th year senior

And then something will happen that prevents him from playing in the Big 12 tournament.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I wasn't sure how NCAAM 2020 could top NCAAF 2007, but thinking about it, just having the tournament straight up cancelled does mean this basketball season tops the ending to the zaniest football season in living memory (which was actually pretty tame during the bowl season).

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
And NBA draft heads were already confused about how to scout this crop out, now they don't even have a tournament resume to consult.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

The NCAA apparently considered a 16 team tournament before making the decision to cancel

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

a neat cape posted:

The NCAA apparently considered a 16 team tournament before making the decision to cancel
OK with this decision cause I would have lost my mind over the possibility of Auburn being -- justifiably -- the first team out

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Probably Magic posted:

And NBA draft heads were already confused about how to scout this crop out, now they don't even have a tournament resume to consult.

If you're scouting heavily off the tournament you're doing a lovely job anyway

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

ESPNU is showing some classic games tonight. Currently watching Hasheem Thabeet tear up Syracuse. This is the marathon game that went a ridiculous amount of overtimes.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

RC and Moon Pie posted:

ESPNU is showing some classic games tonight. Currently watching Hasheem Thabeet tear up Syracuse. This is the marathon game that went a ridiculous amount of overtimes.

Andy Rautins! I was so tired the next day

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
No more need for debate or discussion, Florida State are your national champions.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28900639/florida-state-senate-proclaims-florida-state-national-champions

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Florida's government tackling the important issues of the day I see.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/mattnorlander/status/1238888379384827907?s=21

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Something about “Rick Pitino” and “for-profit educational institution” just feels right.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

This is playing again in about an hour if anyone missed it and needs to kill some time.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

update

https://twitter.com/petethamel/status/1238915401737781249?s=21

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Grittybeard posted:

This is playing again in about an hour if anyone missed it and needs to kill some time.

It's a hell of a game.

Syracuse couldn't touch Thabeet in regulation, but he began wearing out and finally fouled out in overtime. Eric Devendorf came within .2 seconds of winning it in regulation. It was initially ruled a game-winning 3, but replay showed it was still on the edge of his fingers when time expired.

Syracuse did not lead in any of the extra sessions until overtime #6. Paul Harris, Andy Rautins and Jonny Flynn came up huge for the Orange, A.J. Price doing the same for UConn. Without Thabeet and Stanley Robinson, they had absolutely nothing except him. Kemba Walker was out there but hadn't established himself yet.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

RC and Moon Pie posted:

It's a hell of a game.

Syracuse couldn't touch Thabeet in regulation, but he began wearing out and finally fouled out in overtime. Eric Devendorf came within .2 seconds of winning it in regulation. It was initially ruled a game-winning 3, but replay showed it was still on the edge of his fingers when time expired.

Syracuse did not lead in any of the extra sessions until overtime #6. Paul Harris, Andy Rautins and Jonny Flynn came up huge for the Orange, A.J. Price doing the same for UConn. Without Thabeet and Stanley Robinson, they had absolutely nothing except him. Kemba Walker was out there but hadn't established himself yet.

Man, this is a great "remember some guys" post

Houston won (well, in a 3-way tie) the AAC in a rebuilding year, with only one senior on the roster. We have the best class in the AAC coming in, and with Cincy losing four seniors (including Jarron Cumberland) and WSU having three guys transferring out, next year's team should be as good as our 2019 Sweet Sixteen team, if not better

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

What's Iona's policy on hiring strippers for recruits

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

hey, if Bobby Petrino could re-surface at Southwest Missouri State, then Pitino could come back to Jim Valvano's old school

(Iona also had one of the best "East Coast point-guard" names in recent years, namely Schadrac Casimir. he joins the pantheon created by Scoonie Penn, Scoochie Smith, Jordair Jett and the currently-at-Rhody Fatts Russell.)

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Rivals writer for Auburn is simming the entire SEC tournament in 2K with rosters and skins, championship game between Auburn and Kentucky is live right now.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Rivals writer for Auburn is simming the entire SEC tournament in 2K with rosters and skins, championship game between Auburn and Kentucky is live right now.

Since apparently Kentucky won, I present to you this fan-made One Shining Moment for your definitive 2020 National Champions.

https://www.facebook.com/100010626936604/posts/1092129264484628/

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Probably this did just spare us all having to watch Duke bumble around through the Sweet 16 or so and then catch fire and win the whole thing.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

elentar posted:

Probably this did just spare us all having to watch Duke bumble around through the Sweet 16 or so and then catch fire and win the whole thing.
What about eight teams on an aircraft carrier outside San Diego so we can watch Duke choke in a completely different venue?

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Two years ago today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuHVvSsNY2E

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I forgot that the game was either tied or close to it at halftime. My memory says it was a blowout the whole time but wow, it was just piling on in the second half.

kolby
Oct 29, 2004
life without march madness isn't a life at all

i feel lost

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
legit mad that they didn't have selection sunday anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Poque posted:

legit mad that they didn't have selection sunday anyway

I agree with this. Really, I still think they should have finished up the conference tournaments then called off the season.