Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I like to refer to Phillip K Dick as "Harlan Ellison with a brain"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Independence Day rules too :colbert:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Remember when they made Independence Day 2?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Junkie Disease posted:

I liked it.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Junkie Disease posted:

Objection, these questions were supposed to be made available beforehand so I might prepare a proper response

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Junkie Disease posted:

Yeah. I had fun with it but it’s trash and should be forgotten.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I can’t search posts with the awful app but I know The Magicians came up a couple weeks ago and someone mentioned they killed the character everyone hated last season.

They really didn’t. At least two characters and who knows how many writers are still carrying the torch.

This show is great either way.

Don’t let me down.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ruddiger posted:

The new Zodiac doc on Hulu, The Most Dangerous Animal of All, is a huge waste of time and the subject of the doc is a known fraud, which is revealed at the end of the doc. I’m glad I ended up passing out during the middle two eps instead of wasting time on the whole series. That and the new Amazing Johnathan doc (also on Hulu) are garbo.

Docs with fraudulent premises are a new pet peeve of mine. I watched one not long ago that was really egregious but I can’t remember what it was now for the life of me.

Wrinkles the Clown was sort of like that too. The subject had legs to stay interesting for a 15 minute YouTube doc, so they just fabricate some poo poo for 2/3rds of it. And the stuff they fabricate isn’t even interesting! loving terrible

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Yall Kingdom Season 2 dropped.

Why are we not talking hats and zombies?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
people probably aren't in the mood for zombie media

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

flatluigi posted:

people probably aren't in the mood for zombie media

If this is what it takes to end this trend of lovely zombie tv shows then it’ll all be worthwhile

mystes
May 31, 2006

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Yall Kingdom Season 2 dropped.

Why are we not talking hats and zombies?
Can we get a spinoff show about coronavirus containment in the Joseon empire instead?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

beanieson posted:

If this is what it takes to end this trend of lovely zombie tv shows then it’ll all be worthwhile

Is there a trend?

Assuming they still make them I was hoping they’d jump some kind of shark and say “you, Malcolm you are one of the good ones. I can trust you with a shotgun heck I’d almost trust you with my daughter *laughtrack*

Dang Ezekiel I sho ain’t no walking dead... am I?”

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

beanieson posted:

Please please let it be over

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I am completely sick of long form true crime docs but McMillions was really good.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

beanieson posted:

Kingdom is very much not a lovely zombie tv show

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm 3 episodes in and it's not bad, but I haven't watched anything having to do with zombies for around 5 years. I don't watch Korean TV either so I'm digging the great hats and what... appears to be setting up the main guy for a budding class consciousness? Also I've laughed several times, which for zombie television is a goddamn relief, let me tell you. It's a dreary genre.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

I am completely sick of long form true crime docs but McMillions was really good.

Yeah I'm only a few in and I'm shamelessly hooked

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
McMillions is different in that it's actually incredibly fun instead of bleak and depressing.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Does McMillions justify its length? I’ve seen a few docuseries where my reactions was basically “this is good but could have been 90 mins”

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

beanieson posted:

Does McMillions justify its length? I’ve seen a few docuseries where my reactions was basically “this is good but could have been 90 mins”

Yeah. I’m loving it (me encanta) for dragging it out for weeks but I must learn the dark secret of how Jerry did it.

Worried the feebs don’t have the deets :ohdear:

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

McMillions was really great and I'm glad it exists in docu form as opposed to podcast form. I was actually pretty impressed with the production value of any reenactments. (Although HBO did a podcast too because why not I guess)

Mr. Sloth
Jun 5, 2004

GIMME DEM PIZZA PIES

beanieson posted:

Just like all docuseries nowadays, half of the series was filler.

The first ep. is wonderful, the rest could have been condensed down into 2-3 more exceptional episodes, but whatever.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

doctorfrog posted:

I'm 3 episodes in and it's not bad, but I haven't watched anything having to do with zombies for around 5 years. I don't watch Korean TV either so I'm digging the great hats and what... appears to be setting up the main guy for a budding class consciousness? Also I've laughed several times, which for zombie television is a goddamn relief, let me tell you. It's a dreary genre.

It feels really weird that The Han Solo character butchered an infected corpse and fed a hospital with the resultant stew, thereby starting the zombie plague, and he doesn't suffer the slightest bit of reproach from anyone or even the slightest bit of self recrimination over it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
tbh I dropped Kingdom pretty early simply because there was literally one character, the Crown Prince, who wasn't a complete insufferable rear end in a top hat and he basically existed to constantly get dunked on by the universe for not being an rear end in a top hat

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Documentaries should be as long as they want to be. Don't rush them because you're impatient.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

kittenmittons posted:

Documentaries should be as long as they want to be. Don't rush them because you're impatient.

Exactly

Pretty sure you can push fast forward on McMillions by looking it up on wikipedia.

As far as zodiac goes you can watch a ton of movies and never figure out it was Ted Cruz

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Hunters gets more nuanced than I ever could’ve imagined. By episode five I’m just totally down with everything because the characters aren’t getting it all right but I think the show is necessary.

I’m only saying this as a response because I heard somebody say they’re making a mockery of the holocaust because people wouldn’t believe the holocaust ever happened if your only exposure to it was some comic book show.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

kittenmittons posted:

I question most of HBO's output since the ATT / WarnerMedia merger. AT&T specifically told HBO that they were going to need to 10x their production a little more than a year ago in the run up to the HBO Max launch.

McMillions was well made and really fun but I don't think the subject matter warranted ~40% of a Ken Burns doc.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I finished up Star Trek Discovery seasons 1 and 2. I enjoyed them overall, even though I wish there were some more traditional "slow" Star Trek episodes less pre-occupied with the story arc. Not streaming anywhere, I grabbed DVDs from the library. It's crazy how TV can now resemble the big blockbuster reboot movie from a decade ago.

I'm revisiting Enterprise. Goddamn, that theme song is kinda endearingly bad.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm going to watch Contagion today. I signed up for a free week of Cinemax on Prime Video. If you'd like to see it without spending money try the same thing!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It feels really weird that The Han Solo character butchered an infected corpse and fed a hospital with the resultant stew, thereby starting the zombie plague, and he doesn't suffer the slightest bit of reproach from anyone or even the slightest bit of self recrimination over it.

Hm, I guess I should stop waiting for someone to mention it, then. He does indicate that cannibalism was being done by the poorest and most desperately starving folks, and he does attempt to hem in the zombies he created with bamboo poles, perhaps as contrition. But, even if he didn't know enough to behead the corpses, I wonder why he wouldn't just burn them all? Maybe some cultural respect for the dead? But, then why chop up a dude and feed it to people? Yeah, turn brain off.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

kittenmittons posted:

Don't gently caress With Cats was an episode too long and Evil Genius was several episodes too long.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Detective No. 27 posted:

I finished up Star Trek Discovery seasons 1 and 2. I enjoyed them overall, even though I wish there were some more traditional "slow" Star Trek episodes less pre-occupied with the story arc. Not streaming anywhere, I grabbed DVDs from the library. It's crazy how TV can now resemble the big blockbuster reboot movie from a decade ago.

I'm revisiting Enterprise. Goddamn, that theme song is kinda endearingly bad.

The Orville is basically TNG. They spend a whole episode (sometimes two) handwringing a single moral question.

And it’s not that bad.

It’s not family guy in space but you have to get used to seeing a lot of Seth Mcfarlane.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

The Orville is basically TNG. They spend a whole episode (sometimes two) handwringing a single moral question.

And it’s not that bad.

It’s not family guy in space but you have to get used to seeing a lot of Seth Mcfarlane.

The Orville was fun

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
The pilot episode has some extreme hit-or-miss comedy, but it gets toned down after that

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
It still mystifies me how MacFarlane managed to make a show as good as The Orville after making Family Guy.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

tweet my meat posted:

It still mystifies me how MacFarlane managed to make a show as good as The Orville after making Family Guy.

Like The Simpsons and South Park, there are plenty of legitimately good Family Guy seasons before the schtick got old and the writers got out of touch.

I haven't watched The Orville or followed MacFarlane since Ted, but FG was funny for a while. A lot of good comedians I like wrote for it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ah yeah. I'll have to catch The Orville since it's on Hulu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

beanieson posted:

Yes. And I say this as someone who feels the same way as you about almost all true crime docs.