Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

slidebite posted:

How good are the little prebuilt mini systems with a J5005 processor for general web browsing, point and click games, maybe 10+ year old other titles?

Looking at this type of machine: (but not necessarily exactly this unit)

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07XSZN81Y/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=AMSFF11DD0K5A&psc=1

Not quite what you asked, but I got a Lenovo ThinkCentre Tiny for £258 a couple of months ago so it could be worth looking at them. I ordered it from the lenovo website directly.

It's an i3-8145 with 4GB and had a HDD that I swapped out for a SSD I had hanging around. Perfect grandma pc (I have it as a HTPC though I need to get a DP -> HDMI cable so it will output 4k at 60Hz).

I've played Hollow Knight on it and it works well.

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I hit the trigger earlier,

- Dan A4 Case from Overclockers.co.uk
- Silverstone SFX-L V2.0 500W
- Alpenfohn Black Ridge Low Profile CPU Cooler - 120mm

The things I still need to figure out,

- Low Profile RAM. The 120MM Heatsink may not fit unless I use low profile, very low profile or ultra low profile memory. Finding this is incredibly difficult.

- Custom Cables. All of the shorter custom Dan A4 Power Supply cables are sold out.

- Additional case fans. I'll build the system out and see if they're needed.

- CPU Heatsink fan direction. Exhaust or Intake?

- Motherboard clearance. I may have to do some careful modification of rear IO Cover.

Reality
Sep 26, 2010

Tab8715 posted:

- Low Profile RAM. The 120MM Heatsink may not fit unless I use low profile, very low profile or ultra low profile memory. Finding this is incredibly difficult.

- Custom Cables. All of the shorter custom Dan A4 Power Supply cables are sold out.

- Motherboard clearance. I may have to do some careful modification of rear IO Cover.

Corsair vengeance LPX works if you use the stock blackridge fan or NF-A9x14. You’ll have to import ultra low profile ram for a 120mm fan.

As long as you don’t plan on filling the space under the PSU with SSDs or HDDs or fans you can shove PSU cables in there.

I have a NF-A9x14 under my motherboard as exhaust and the cpu fan as intake. I had a 20c drop (80c to 60c) during a stress test from my initial cpu fan as exhaust install. I cannot add/remove the case fan unless I take apart my entire computer but the V4 might be better. Everything fit fine on my asrock z390 board with no modifications.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Tab8715 posted:

I don't think you're going to be able to fit a fan under a sfx-l psu in the dan. I'd personally go with an sfx unit.

Sigmund Fraud
Jul 31, 2005

I've been eyeing passively cooled cases to build a quiet media machine for my tv. The predominant design I've seen has heat sinks on the sides which connect to the CPU via heatpipes.

I've got an old sound card (must be pushing 10 years) that I'd like to include as it drives my headphones well. It'd take up a card slot so should I want a graphics card aswell I'd have to get an m-ATX motherboard as the ITX board only have interface for one card.

I've found two models that should be able to fit both graphics card and a sound card:
HDPLEX H3 V3 https://hdplex.com/hdplex-h3-v3-fanless-computer-chassis.html - full length bracket plus a half height double bracket
Streacom FC10 https://streacom.com/products/fc10-alpha-fanless-chassis/ - two full length brackets

The costs are quite eye watering though: 250€ for the case and then 150€ or so for a passive PSU to power it all such as the HDPLEX 400W combo.

Would It work? How well would a passively cooled graphics card fare when there is no fan to push cool air into the case?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Sigmund Fraud posted:

How well would a passively cooled graphics card fare when there is no fan to push cool air into the case?

Poorly. From what I've seen, passive cases just don't make much sense over a noise dampened case with low rpm fans once you're putting out more than a very modest amount of wattage.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

One downside to passive cooling is that you will be keenly aware of any coil whine.

E: ahhh posting this made me notice a buzz coming from my light switch :suicide:

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 27, 2020

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

CopperHound posted:

One downside to passive cooling is that you will be keenly aware of any coil whine.

E: ahhh posting this made me notice a buzz coming from my light switch :suicide:

I have an open air passive case, no fan noise, around 350W, temps are great but .. coil whine is annoying.
Luckily overclocking my GPU removed coil whine.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tab8715 posted:

Reality posted:

Corsair vengeance LPX works if you use the stock blackridge fan or NF-A9x14. You’ll have to import ultra low profile ram for a 120mm fan.

As long as you don’t plan on filling the space under the PSU with SSDs or HDDs or fans you can shove PSU cables in there.

I have a NF-A9x14 under my motherboard as exhaust and the cpu fan as intake. I had a 20c drop (80c to 60c) during a stress test from my initial cpu fan as exhaust install. I cannot add/remove the case fan unless I take apart my entire computer but the V4 might be better. Everything fit fine on my asrock z390 board with no modifications.

Canna Happy posted:

I don't think you're going to be able to fit a fan under a sfx-l psu in the dan. I'd personally go with an sfx unit.
Yeah it only requires VLP RAM if you want to use a 120mm fan underneath the Black Ridge, with a 92mm fan you can use normal low profile RAM like Crucial Ballistix Sport or Corsair LPX etc. With that it's going to be about on par with other SFF coolers like the Noctua NH-L9 or the LP-53 (is that still being made?).

An SFX-L PSU leaves no room for HDD/SSD/fan underneath the PSU, although in my experience a fan there doesn't really do much even with a smaller SFX unit because it will have a ton of cables in the way of airflow. You will not have much room for cable management with the SFX-L PSU either, so the custom cables are probably "required" (good luck!).

A fan under the mainboard mostly helps with airflow over the VRM/RAM I think. I only have a V2 so it has room if I bend the 3M riser harder, but no mounting holes and I wasn't going to disassemble everything again to try. IIRC most cooler tests in the A4 have shown that CPU coolers blowing onto the CPU/mainboard are better than configurations where the cooler was trying to exhaust air. If you add a fan shroud (3d print, cardboard, etc.) it gets even better because that avoids recycling warm air from inside the case. And if you're still not happy with temperatures at that point, removing the I/O shield will let air exhaust more easily.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

drat, SFF building is way more complicated than I anticipated.

As for everything, I read that the SFX-L Power Supplies have larger fans and hence should be quieter. The 120mm Power Supply Fan over the 92mm Fan on SFX units should hopefully make a difference? The only thing I miss out on is possibly the 92mm intake fan which does seem like a small loss.

I wanted to buy the custom Dan A4 Case Cables and fan shroud but nearly all of this is sold out.

As for the low profile memory, this sucks. Everything I've found is either single 16GB sticks of unregistered ECC Server Server Memory that's not cheap. Kingston used to have 2x8GB Kits but these appear to be sold out. :smith:

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Tab8715 posted:

drat, SFF building is way more complicated than I anticipated.

As for everything, I read that the SFX-L Power Supplies have larger fans and hence should be quieter. The 120mm Power Supply Fan over the 92mm Fan on SFX units should hopefully make a difference? The only thing I miss out on is possibly the 92mm intake fan which does seem like a small loss.

I wanted to buy the custom Dan A4 Case Cables and fan shroud but nearly all of this is sold out.

As for the low profile memory, this sucks. Everything I've found is either single 16GB sticks of unregistered ECC Server Server Memory that's not cheap. Kingston used to have 2x8GB Kits but these appear to be sold out. :smith:

Unfortunately, the SFX-Ls are pretty much outdated. You're giving up valuable space to use a power supply that hasn't been updated in over 5 years. In fact, I took the Silverstones out of the OP because the Corsairs are just plain better, smaller and similarly priced.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

VulgarandStupid posted:

Unfortunately, the SFX-Ls are pretty much outdated. You're giving up valuable space to use a power supply that hasn't been updated in over 5 years. In fact, I took the Silverstones out of the OP because the Corsairs are just plain better, smaller and similarly priced.

What needs to be updated internally for Power Supply? Do you have any links or could go further into detail?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Tab8715 posted:

What needs to be updated internally for Power Supply? Do you have any links or could go further into detail?

They have higher efficiency ratings and the fans aren't as loud, while putting out more power and being smaller. I mean, I'm not saying the Silverstone is obsolete, but it just isn't what anyone should be buying today, given the alternatives.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

VulgarandStupid posted:

They have higher efficiency ratings and the fans aren't as loud, while putting out more power and being smaller. I mean, I'm not saying the Silverstone is obsolete, but it just isn't what anyone should be buying today, given the alternatives.

drat it.

Is it possible to have two fans on the bottom as exhaust?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

VulgarandStupid posted:

The SF750 Platinum is definitely worth lusting over:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/corsair-sf750/

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Gay Retard posted:

It’s cool but I don’t know how you’d ever need more than the SF600 in this form factor. And even then, it’s questionable if we truly need more than 450W for a single CPU and GPU. Let’s just keep convincing ourselves that efficiency curves are important or something.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

VulgarandStupid posted:

It’s cool but I don’t know how you’d ever need more than the SF600 in this form factor. And even then, it’s questionable if we truly need more than 450W for a single CPU and GPU. Let’s just keep convincing ourselves that efficiency curves are important or something.

I think it's more for people trying to get big beefy power supplies that are rated high enough that SFX loads won't heat it up enough to engage the fan.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Gay Retard posted:

This is what I went with. It stays at a power range that results in a silent fan and the individually braided cables are WELL worth it.

I retired my 600W SFX-L Silverstone. Noisy, large and PVC coated cables made management hell. Good riddance

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tab8715 posted:

drat it.

Is it possible to have two fans on the bottom as exhaust?
You can do that but it's not going to help much. You'll also have to raise the case higher than the default feet to do more than produce noise. I'd honestly start without case fans and only add them if you have unreasonably high temperatures you can't or don't want to handle differently (common options: fan shroud / open I/O panel / TDP limit / undervolting / delidding).

The current SFX PSUs like the Corsair SF series are inaudible over the CPU / GPU fans under load, and should mostly stay quiet while the PC is idle because the fan doesn't have to run in the first place, so a 120mm fan wouldn't help at all. The SF 600 Platinum should be plenty and you get sleeved cables with it, which are a bit too long for the A4 but the SFX PSU leaves room to hide them. You could still use custom cables if you can source them later.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

It's done! :angel:

1. Corsair 450 SFX Powersupply
2. Alpenfohn Black Ridge Low Profile CPU Cooler - 120mm
3. NF-A12x15 PWM Chromax Black Swap Fan -120mm
4. Intel Core i7 8700 (65 Watt TDP)
5. ASRock Z370M-ITX
6. Timetec Hynix IC 32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 Unbuffered ECC VLP
7. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (150 Watt TDP)

All in all, most of everything was relatively straight forward. The case is freaking tiny and if anything you're going to be struggling with just getting everything inside especially if you don't have custom cables. It's still doable with a SFX or even SFX-L Power Supply but just getting everything in the right position is difficult which took me over a half hour. The Alpenfohn heatsink is absolutely massive and due to parts of the motherboard IO Ports being so tall I was only able to put on one of the wire guides on to hold the fan in place but it's such a tight fit it doesn't really matter. It would still have been nice to have a way to just screw it in however and low profile memory is a requirement. Don't ask me how much that garbage costs.

As for noise, I would say it's a little too loud for my liking under load such as gaming but idle it's totally acceptable with the CPU Fan at a mere 1000rpm which is barely noticeable. After a while it seems like the worst culprit is the video card over the CPU. Whenever the next slew of cards come out I'll probably upgrade to one with a better cooler until then I'll survive with headphones. If I was in a living room with a friend or family member it'd be easily annoying.

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase but I still need a few additional things. I'm going to try picking up two 92mm low profile fans (yes, regular fans won't fit) and include those as bottom intake at low rpms and see if that helps acoustics especially under load. The only things I'm a little conflicted about are the lack of any windows because why wouldn't I put the PC on my desk since it's so small and show of my video card with that Nvida Logo that's lit up? And just general concerns over the top cover perforated. Granted you can feel the heat just pouring out yet I feel as if it's waiting for me to spill pop or beer all over those expensive internals. :smith:

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 3, 2020

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
There was an optional window panel during one of the earlier releases of the case, but the thermals were significantly worse with it. Not sure if it's still being made.

Are you using a blower cooler GPU? Those always have terrible acoustics under load.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I've been bitching about a lack of Mini-ITX AM4 motherboards with USB 3.2 Gen 2 headers because the Ncase M1 has a USB-C front panel now and...

...well, I guess I didn't go through the parts that came in the box properly because they included a plate to hide the front IO, so now I can wholly ignore the front panel ports and just get a reasonable motherboard. Hopefully I can get hold of some of my parts before coronavirus chokes off supply.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

There’s an adapter board to convert from 20 pin to type A on amazon

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
I feel the same AM4 struggle, but luckily sliger has been shipping a front panel config that works with the older USB motherboard headers.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Anyone got recommendations for super cheap builds? I recently built a ~$150 setup as a CNC controller, and I chose old-rear end hardware mostly because people had posted working builds.

ASRock J3455B-ITX (mobo/cpu combo, passive 15w TDP) - $85

mystery 4 GB DDR3 SODIMM I found in a parts box - who knows

picoPSU 80w - $25

lovely 32GB ssd - $30

It performs so-so, and I'm curious if I could have had with better hardware for a few bucks more. If that's the case, I'd consider upgrading the mobo and repurposing this one for something else. Do they still make mITX boards with parallel ports? Have there been any real performance gains on low-end hardware these last few years?

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

New to the SFF fandom: looking for feedback as I downsize my existing system (components marked $0) and try to plan for future compatibility with upcoming Nvidia/AMD releases. Targeting 1440p/144hz gaming and daily driver tasks (browsing, streaming, etc).

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($0.00)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S 46.44 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-I Gaming Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($249.99)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($0.00)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB SC2 Video Card ($0.00)
Case: NCASE M1 Mini ITX Tower Case ($210.00)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($149.99)
Case Fan: Corsair ML120 Pro 75 CFM 120 mm Fan ($27.99 @ Corsair)
Case Fan: Corsair ML120 Pro 75 CFM 120 mm Fan ($27.99 @ Corsair)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A9 PWM chromax.Black.swap 46.44 CFM 92 mm Fan ($19.90)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A9 PWM chromax.Black.swap 46.44 CFM 92 mm Fan ($19.90)
Total: $935.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-14 21:03 EDT-0400

How often does the Ncase M1 go into production? Trying to figure out if I should grab one now or sit tight til later in the year when there's more info on upcoming Nvidia/AMD components.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

What do y’all do with your ATX stuff after downsizing? I’ll be doing a total system replacement but don’t really know what to do with the rest of the gear. Can you even get Z97 boards still? I could maybe see myself dumping my ATX board to have a secondary ITX system but not really sure what I’d use it for.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Working Intel cpus and motherboards fetch decent prices on ebay!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Stickman posted:

Working Intel cpus and motherboards fetch decent prices on ebay!

This can't be understated. It's mental what people will pay for a 3770K or even a 2600K, let alone a 4790K.. basically, if it's less than 10 years old and is overclockable, there's a market.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Looking for a compute stick for a family friend. Shes used one before and liked the extreme portability. Budget is sub-$300. Uses include MS Office suite, internet, maybe some Youtube. Storage isn't a concern because she almost exclusively uses cloud storage. As long as Windows 10 has enough free space to do those semi-annul/annual big updates, i think that'll be perfect. I feel 4GB would probably be a good floor for RAM because she's often multitasking with browser tabs, multiple Excel spreadsheets.

It looks simple enough to find something that matches those requirements on Amazon, but a lot of these are from companies I've never heard of. For anyone that's used them, how reliable are they long term? Shes gone through a series of extreme budget laptops that screw up for one reason or another. Because the compute stick is a tiny motherboard in a metal rectangular shell, I'd imagine there's less points of failure?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

HalloKitty posted:

This can't be understated. It's mental what people will pay for a 3770K or even a 2600K, let alone a 4790K.. basically, if it's less than 10 years old and is overclockable, there's a market.

When I inevitably go Ryzen from this 8086K I'm hoping that'll recoup some cost

Edit: A quick ebay search shows yep, that's probably feasible

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Wow yeah that is more than I expected.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Small update on the DAN-A4 as I managed to put a single slim 92x14mm on the bottom under the motherboard. I don't even need to screw it down as it just barely fits and is almost too snug for my liking as it hits the video card PCI Express flat cable extensions. There are parts of the case and motherboard that block airflow but I think it has helped keep my idle fan speeds a tiny bit lower.

Once I get custom power supply cables I'm going to swap it out for another 92mm right below the Power Supply. I'm not holding my breath but I hope this will improve acoustics just by a little bit. I'll end up with two bottom 92x14mm intake fans, one 120x14mm CPU Heatsink Fan on intake, 2x??mms on the video card on intake, 92mm on the power supply on intake which will leave the air being pulled into the case and then all of it pushed out of the top.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Have you worked out which fans are loud enough to be annoying you? If it's the GPU or PSU, don't expect a real improvement.

I recently switched my A4 CPU fan (the single 92mm/15mm fan that came with the NH-L9a-AM4) to a quieter fan curve in the BIOS and the computer is virtually silent until the GPU fans turn on.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

HalloKitty posted:

Good to know, since I'm going to try to sell a 3770K and 4770K soon!

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
The new Fractal Era looks interesting and I was hoping that coming from Fractal it would be reasonably priced but nooooope.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
The airflow also seems pretty bad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYZ_iMzozZ0&t=371s

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

orcane posted:

Have you worked out which fans are loud enough to be annoying you? If it's the GPU or PSU, don't expect a real improvement.

I recently switched my A4 CPU fan (the single 92mm/15mm fan that came with the NH-L9a-AM4) to a quieter fan curve in the BIOS and the computer is virtually silent until the GPU fans turn on.

I managed to considerably lower the idle fan noisy by manipulating the curve with the ASRock A-Tuning Software.

The power supply and video card don't even have their fans speed at all. I know this isn't exact but I'm idling at 900rpm on 120mm and 1000rpm on the 92m chassis fan which is barely audible. Does anyone know the best performance they've got out of the large Alpenfohn Black Ridge Low Profile CPU Coolers with a 120mm fan?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah that was pretty obvious from just looking at the case. The interior is kind of a mess IMO. It looks neat from the outside but with just the tiny perforated areas in the side panels and the bottom cover you won't really get a lot of air through that case, the PSU is oriented in a way that will make it heat up the interior too (and recycle warm air for itself) and for a radiator to be of any use you have to remove the nice looking top panels. This really needs a revision to compete with those optimized SFF cases, considering the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Lungboy posted:

The new Fractal Era looks interesting and I was hoping that coming from Fractal it would be reasonably priced but nooooope.

It doesn't have appreciable ventilation on the bottom, where the GPU could actually breathe. It basically ruins the case. I don't know why they did that. Such a shame, because I really like the look of it, especially with the wood panel.