Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I just saw the trailer for the new Scooby Doo movie. It’s not just a Scooby movie but it’s apparently introducing a Hannah-Barbera cinematic universe. The trailer featured Blue Falcon and Dick Dastardly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They've combined all that stuff together for years in the cartoons.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That's the one where he fires vampire filled torpedoes at the UK from his moon base, right?

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's the story wher ehe had a Castle on the Moon.

Yes. It was from Captain Britain and The MI13. Pretty much one of my favourite comic book runs.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

muscles like this! posted:

Mystery Inc (the best Scooby Doo) had an episode with all the old mystery solving gangs in it. It was great

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Movies cannot be stopped

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Did they hire David Dees to make this?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Young Freud posted:

Doesn't Blade hang around with him?

Blade tries to kill him a whole bunch and he tries to kill Blade as much. I think both of them manage it at least once but Blade survives because he's actually immune to vampire bites (his only real superpower in the comic version) and Dracula just comes back to life later because he's Dracula.

In the comics Blade is also British and lives in London with his girlfriend a showgirl called Safron and dresses like this:

Because it's the 70s.

If anyone hasn't seen the really cheesy anime based on the comics it's all up on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F0CqGOONrw

is this :filez: ?

I'll edit it out if it is.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 15, 2020

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Got really worried about Quentin Tarantino for a second there. But not really cuz he's overrated

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

I just saw the trailer for the new Scooby Doo movie. It’s not just a Scooby movie but it’s apparently introducing a Hannah-Barbera cinematic universe. The trailer featured Blue Falcon and Dick Dastardly.

Flintstones Meet Jetsons: Endgame

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There was also recently an animated movie about Mystery Inc being invited by Batman to join the Gotham detectives club. The Brave and the Bold version of Batman, to be exact, who is a perfect match.

They work together shockingly well, partly because Batman is the only one who recognises that Scooby-Doo is a dog who happens to be smart enough to speak and understand English.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'm amused by Scooby Doo cover art when it doesn't include the cast outside of Scooby/Shaggy or sticks them way in the background.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

So, if the initial predictions come to pass, this will be the lowest grossing weekend total for the entire theatrical box office since September 11-13, 1998 (that is not a typo, i do not mean 2001, the weekend after 9/11 still grossed more than this weekend).

For reference, this is what the box office looked like that weekend:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There was also recently an animated movie about Mystery Inc being invited by Batman to join the Gotham detectives club. The Brave and the Bold version of Batman, to be exact, who is a perfect match.

They work together shockingly well, partly because Batman is the only one who recognises that Scooby-Doo is a dog who happens to be smart enough to speak and understand English.

The HBU avengers might be more lucrative for DC than BVs

Padgjj
Jan 4, 2008
Never trouble trouble 'til trouble troubles you
The fact that Rounders was number 1 at one point blows my mind for some reason.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

In the comics Blade is also British and lives in London with his girlfriend a showgirl called Safron and dresses like this:

Because it's the 70s.

I know when the first Blade came out, I was a bit disappointed that he wasn't played by Forest Whitaker in a tracksuit with an accent.

How wrong I am. But, let's face it, the Blade aesthetic set the tone for the '90s comic book movies like the Singer X-Men movies.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

DC Murderverse posted:

So, if the initial predictions come to pass, this will be the lowest grossing weekend total for the entire theatrical box office since September 11-13, 1998 (that is not a typo, i do not mean 2001, the weekend after 9/11 still grossed more than this weekend).

Yikes. I read an article earlier that said the film industry stands to lose $20 billion because of coronavirus, and I guess that's accurate if we're already doing worse than 9/11 weekend.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

DC Murderverse posted:

So that's what a perfect storm looks like.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There's a sort of irony in that it may be the safest time to go see a movie because no one else is likely to be there (this is mostly a joke)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Rageaholic posted:

Yikes. I read an article earlier that said the film industry stands to lose $20 billion because of coronavirus, and I guess that's accurate if we're already doing worse than 9/11 weekend.

I mean, this is just phase one. There are basically no movies coming out now, and the movies that are supposed to come out now will probably not get the same money they would have had they come out without a giant pandemic

and then all of the stuff currently in production is shut down. and that's not just like, LA, that's everywhere, from LA to Vancouver to Atlanta to New York to China.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The coronavirus may not end up killing that many people compared to other pandemics, but it'll do a number on the economy for sure.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

DC Murderverse posted:

drat, remember when movies didn't need to have the Disney/marvel label to just chill in theaters for months?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah Hannah-Barbera have been doing shows like Laff-A-Lympics and Yogi's Space Race which featured characters from almost all their cartoon series since the 70s, and they've done a whole bunch of crossover episodes outside of that. This is a deliberate attempt to start a MCU-esque shared cinematic universe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqbb0p2mGIE

Blue Falcon's new sidekick Dee Dee is apparently one of the 'Teen Angels' originally from the Captain Caveman cartoon

Edit: they've also put out a bunch of "shared universe" comic books in recent years, as well as a ton of comics where their classic characters were "re-imagined' for modern audiences

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_Quest

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Mar 15, 2020

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

DC Murderverse posted:

Reminder that Snake Eyes is a pretty drat good Brian De Palma/Nic Cage joint.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

drat, remember when movies didn't need to have the Disney/marvel label to just chill in theaters for months?

Absolutely. For anyone confused about the massive drop for Titanic from 8 to 20, that’s when it got released to VHS

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Even movies that have been getting big ad pushes are blinking, Quiet Place 2 and Lovebirds have both pushed their release dates.

They should cut $100 mil deals to release on netflix or whatever right now

Rageaholic posted:

So is like nothing coming out in theaters for months now? If so, that's a huge bummer.

Finally, Knives Out can threaten to stay in theaters longer than Gone With the Wind

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Flintstones comic was criminally overlooked.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Detective No. 27 posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Detective No. 27 posted:

That comic was better than it had any right to be

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

That last panel is probably one of the best out of context memes ever. Whenever the Flintstones are mentioned in my presence, I will ALWAYS show it and it always brings the house down.

Len posted:

That comic was better than it had any right to be

:agreed: The Dastardly and Muttley comic was also amazing, in an utter mindfuck sort of way.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

AceOfFlames posted:

That last panel is probably one of the best out of context memes ever. Whenever the Flintstones are mentioned in my presence, I will ALWAYS show it and it always brings the house down.

:agreed: The Dastardly and Muttley comic was also amazing, in an utter mindfuck sort of way.

The Scooby Doo one was a Trainwreck I couldn't look away from. It's amazing how bad it was in every conceivable way.

Jetsons was okay I guess?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Was this mentioned in this thread? I feel like it deserves mention in this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKP9IbpGkKE

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

GrandpaPants posted:

Was this mentioned in this thread? I feel like it deserves mention in this thread.

This is 100% a stealth slasher movie, right?

edit: strip away the "inspiring" music and this has very similar vibes to The Gift (the 2015 Jason Bateman one, not the 2000 one that also had Katie Holmes in it)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

can we get a The Secret vs Scientology woowoo cinematic universe

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Alan Smithee posted:

Gwyneth Paltrow is gathering the infinity vagina eggs, soon she'll be unstoppable.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

“My name is jz knight and I’m here to tell you about the ramtha initiative”

Phase 2 is Shen Yun

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

what side would what the bleep do we know be on

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

Whoever wins, we lose.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Brother Entropy posted:

The Secret as they are both quantum mechanics misunderstanders.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Edit: they've also put out a bunch of "shared universe" comic books in recent years, as well as a ton of comics where their classic characters were "re-imagined' for modern audiences

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_Quest

The Hanna-Barbera comics include Snagglepuss saying the f-word and a gay club in the Flintstones named Homo Erectus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DC Murderverse posted:

That really takes me back to my first job, as I was working the box office that weekend