Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

HookShot posted:

Whistler is closing for a week starting tomorrow. I did not expect that so quickly.

All Vail resorts will shut down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Going to cancel my Breckenridge trip. Looks like I might be able to recover most of the funds and whatnot from Delta, but Vail resorts seems to be sticking to their no refunds policy. Looks like I could apply the cost/deposit or whatnot to another trip up to a year out, but it is kind of hard to plan that far in advance.

Surprised if they do, Alterra has made cancellations free.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Hmmm, they say they are closing from the 15th-21st and will assess things then, but I am almost certain they will remain closed?

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
Alterra's done too.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
drat, this came out of nowhere as a rank and file employee of Sugarbush, especially after getting an email this morning from the president about staying open.

Well, at least there's still skinning.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Hmmm, they say they are closing from the 15th-21st and will assess things then, but I am almost certain they will remain closed?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the season. Things aren't going to get better in the next week.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Yep. Probably took my last resort day on Friday.

Welp.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

On a happy note, last time I skied was Monday, in which I had a personal best of 30,800 feet or so. Just really my best day ever skiing. So if that is the day that has to be the last day of my season, that is a great note to go out on.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Great, was looking forward to Monday and Tuesday as the first days this season we'd be able to actually ski with good fresh snow. There goes our first season as residents up here.

Have a snow photo, too bad I don't have any BC gear at the moment

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Today was closing day apparently. Life comes at you fast

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

My last run(?) was a pretty nice run down Palisades at kirkwood, i'll be happy with that.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

luminalflux posted:

My last run(?) was a pretty nice run down Palisades at kirkwood, i'll be happy with that.

RIght now mine was down Goat's Eye, but I just (yesterday) got an email from Sunshine talking about how they have HAND SANITIZER EVERYWHERE so vOv

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

It didn't take long for Vail to go from the extra hand sanitize route to closing down. Perhaps, and this sounds very capitalistic, if they don't think they will have enough guests to pay for the resort to run, that might be the deciding factor.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

IncredibleIgloo posted:

It didn't take long for Vail to go from the extra hand sanitize route to closing down. Perhaps, and this sounds very capitalistic, if they don't think they will have enough guests to pay for the resort to run, that might be the deciding factor.

Nah. The big CO resorts were financially viable for the next week to make a decent profit. If anything it's that the operations were getting harder with staff and management both dropping out and the expectation of being forced to shut down anyway (Aspen was shut by order of the governor, for example).

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I did not know that, but it makes sense. Alterra and Vail seemed to make this a uniform implementation though, so maybe some resorts impacted the bigger picture more than others? I am hoping they put something out about reservations at Vail owned properties soon.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

My last run of the season was half ice half spring conditions on my old race skis

https://strava.app.link/LVC89K7HR4

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Today was closing day apparently. Life comes at you fast

I was admittedly not expecting the governor to pull the plug. Guess I should have gone out on my days off.

I wonder if rumblings of this is why ski country air traffic was up a decent amount today? A shitload of mexican registered planes were taking the virus their way.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

IncredibleIgloo posted:

This was the first day of two weeks of spring break here, one of their marquee properties. They would not have made this decision if they didn't think they had to.

My last run of the season had me straight-lining it down the hill with like 50kph headwinds the entire time and going about I dunno 60kph instead of the usual 80 or so I would have hit by the time I got to the bottom of the hill.

It was loving cold but super fun, so I'm not mad about it.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Bachelor is closed for next week, and like Vail evaluating rest of season on the 22nd. I think this is it for ski season in NA.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Wonder how long Mountain High will try to stay open or just let it roll until it all goes to poo poo:

https://www.mthigh.com/site/connect/blog/authors/john_mccolly/coronavirus-and-what-mountain-high/index.html

In good news for myself, I just sold my old boots to my friend and they were a perfect fit...unfortunately he was getting gear together for a trip to Mammoth next week :(

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I guess in the post apocalyptic world skiing would be a real challenge. Like, maybe easy enough to get the chairlift to run, press some buttons, engage/disengage safeties as needed, etc... But the hills would be ungroomed and maybe dangerous. A shame.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Silverstar is also suspending operations for a week, making them the first non-Vail Canadian resort that I know of shutting down.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

My big riding goal this year was to ride every month in 2020. Meadows is still open so I should go get another real day of March riding since I don't think the turns I made count. That probably should have been today but once we cancelled the event I really didn't want to be around a bunch of people in small mountain bars or a crowded condo.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

fknlo posted:

I was admittedly not expecting the governor to pull the plug. Guess I should have gone out on my days off.

I wonder if rumblings of this is why ski country air traffic was up a decent amount today? A shitload of mexican registered planes were taking the virus their way.

Expand?

CSA (or any other) travel insurance won’t cover you unless you have been confirmed and quarantined. Most lodging companies have you locked in 60 days out, which is gonna leave a bad taste in people’s mouths but the people who own the homes being rented do not give a gently caress about that. In summary, happy closing day everybody, and I’d like a large frosty.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Oops, got too tipsy to post.

IncredibleIgloo fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 15, 2020

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Ugh nail in the coffin for my trip to CO this week.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Snowmobiles are the new toilet paper

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

lol you’re not wrong

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Congrats on the epic front country touring season coming your way, everyone

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

lmao my wife bought these people a poo poo ton of booze and groceries, stocked their rental, and they aren’t showing up. Post-apocalypse Telluride is great.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Mountain High is the only socal resort still open...50% off right now for Icon/Epic passholders.

And the snow is decent for once.

Edit: Beaten.

Ticket office said they're planning on staying open as long as possible.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Real bummer for everyone that bought a 20/21 multi-resort pass that wanted to take advantage of spring skiing.

Also just a real bummer for everyone, period.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Some places might return to operation

But personally I'm gonna see how many resorts OFF my pass I can top out

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Yeah real bummer about the ski season. Also millions gonna die from a viral pandemic.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Rated PG-34 posted:

Yeah real bummer about the ski season. Also millions gonna die from a viral pandemic.

Well aware :(

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Going to cancel my Breckenridge trip. Looks like I might be able to recover most of the funds and whatnot from Delta, but Vail resorts seems to be sticking to their no refunds policy. Looks like I could apply the cost/deposit or whatnot to another trip up to a year out, but it is kind of hard to plan that far in advance.

I am pretty sure Vail was crediting and allowing the use of funds for the next year.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Eejit posted:

Some places might return to operation

But personally I'm gonna see how many resorts OFF my pass I can top out

I would expect Breck, Loveland, and a basin will all reopen if things calm down in a month.

Also, get it man!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah. My trip is in April, so not allowed to cancel quite yet because they have only announced closure for next week. Regardless of if they open back up I will cancel. So, pretty sure they will cancel season and I can recover the funds. Maybe even just scoot the vacation to next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Yeah. My trip is in April, so not allowed to cancel quite yet because they have only announced closure for next week. Regardless of if they open back up I will cancel. So, pretty sure they will cancel season and I can recover the funds. Maybe even just scoot the vacation to next year.

Ah yeah, drat.