Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

NextTime000 posted:

the FAQ on the NA website says we should have 3 free character slots; which is the same as the JP server. You typically do want to have all three character slots in use because whenever there's an update that adjusts Photon Arts or Class Skills, they always issue out a free all-tree reset passes for each of your characters, no matter what level they are.

I'd say you'd want to have a character that uses a 200 of one single atk/pwr stat if you feel particularly drawn to one of the first six classes: hunter or fighter for S-atk/MEL, Ranger or gunner for R-atk/RNG, or force for T-atk/TEC, with Techter being sort-of able to go with either a T-atk/TEC or S-atk/MEL mag early on. Thanks to Summoner having the "switch strike" and "switch shoot" skills, it can use any mag

If you're drawn to Braver or Bouncer, go all-in on DEX basically.

Once Hero, Phantom, and Etoile are available, a few more options are opened.

Hero and Etoile both take the highest atk/pwr stat on your mag and apply it to all three atk/pwr stats. While Hero cannot be used as a subclass, Etoile can; though so far it seems like the only classes that really want to consider Etoile sub are Hunter and Ranger, I'll say why later though. This does mean that if you have a T-atk/TEC mag or a R-atk/RNG mag, you can just go play Hu/Et and your mag would work perfectly fine; same for Ra/Et and S-atk/MEL and T-atk/TEC mags.

While Braver and Bouncer use skills that take a mag's DEX and apply it to both atk/pwr stats those classes can use, Phantom applies DEX to all three atk/pwr stats! Mag skills stack, so for Br/Ph and Bo/Ph, a 200 DEX mag gives them 400 atk/pwr for both of the stats they use! Also, Phantom's damage skills are pretty universally applicable to pretty much every class, so basically all of those classes can wind up using a dex mag too.

Once Etoile and Phantom are unlocked, you can use them as a subclass for nearly every class. Braver and Bouncer synergize too well with Phantom sub to really even consider Etoile sub; and Etoile's Damage Balancer skill nullifies most sources of healing outside of consumable items, so that can cause hiccups for Force, Techter, Summoner, and to some extent, Fighter. Meanwhile, There's a left-hand ring for Gunner that boosts damage while using a "Stance" skill, which has had the effect of making hunter or fighter sub just stronger enough that you'd wanna just stick to those still. Finally, like half of Force's skills are still on the Techter tree for some dumb reason, so while Fo/Ph might seem cool, you'd still would rather stick to Fo/Te; if you don't just jump over to playing rod-only Phantom anyway. oh right and Etoile sub has some weird incompatibilities with Technique and Pet damage too.

at least, this is most of the reasoning behind the recommendations I have in the thread OP

oh right I forgot this was supposed to be about mags. well, I forget the point I was making, but you can probably draw some sort of conclusion yourself

Thank you for typing this out, I haven't really played since right around the time they added Hero and I wasn't sure about how the stats worked on them. If I'm reading this right phantom would be the way to go if you wanted to use techs as a cast, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

THE loving MOON posted:

Thank you for typing this out, I haven't really played since right around the time they added Hero and I wasn't sure about how the stats worked on them. If I'm reading this right phantom would be the way to go if you wanted to use techs as a cast, right?
you could use force, phantom, or even techter as you main class to deal primarily technique damage; being a cast has very little to do with it, they might have slightly less base t-atk/tec, but it's practically unnoticeable at this point

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Annath posted:

Hero can't be used AS a subclass, but can it still be used WITH a subclass?

My first/beta character is currently Br/Hu, going to be Br/Ph when available.

My 2nd, once able, will her Hero and whatever subclass it wants if possible.

My 3rd, I guess something that uses Techs? I like the concept of Phantom a lot, but same with Summoner and Etoile.

Hero can't have any subclass, so Hr is literally it. I don't think Et can use techs, but Wand Et has a vacuum tech that seems like a big Zondeel with more flash. I'm just barely messing around with DS Et right now but it seems really mobile, tanky, and it also has ways to dish out some pretty devastating counterattacks.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

NextTime000 posted:

you could use force, phantom, or even techter as you main class to deal primarily technique damage; being a cast has very little to do with it, they might have slightly less base t-atk/tec, but it's practically unnoticeable at this point

Cool, it's good to know it doesn't matter too much. I like casts and I like forces, but it would bug me if it tanked my damage too hard. I'm going to have to max out a couple base classes for when the advance classes come out anyway so I guess I might as well.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
Was anyone from Europe able to try the beta? I'm interested to know how good/bad the lag is likely to be.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

a glitch posted:

Was anyone from Europe able to try the beta? I'm interested to know how good/bad the lag is likely to be.

I couldn't try it, but one of my friends got an Xbone for it and didn't have any complaints about the lag, once they actually got in. I doubt it'll be worse than EU to JP is already.

dragon enthusiast posted:

is there actually an active goon crew on ephinea. I started playing on and off a few months ago to scratch the itch and ep2 hell weapon cheese gets old fast

There are a bunch of us with accounts but certainly nothing you could call organized - there's barely an active goon crew on PSO2, and that's a *much* bigger game. The community there is overall great though and I know some of the GMs are from here.

And you'll pry my Hell cheese from my cold, dead hands.

edit: posting important pictures:

If someone asked me to sum up PSO2 with a single picture:

Soulfucker fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 19, 2020

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Posted this in Discord but I thought I would share it here.

Managed to get mipmapping and anisotropic filtering working via a custom wrapper.
It no longer looks like PSO2's renderer threw up a bunch of edges all over my screen giving me a headache each time I play.

e: More changes and now a decent comparison shot.

e2: A very usable release.
https://github.com/Lemon-King/reshade-pso2-enforced-mipmaps/releases/

Lemon King fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 24, 2020

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
https://twitter.com/play_pso2/status/1237062366640013331?s=20

Open beta next week, looks like it's restricted to Xbox One again.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

RoyalScion posted:

https://twitter.com/play_pso2/status/1237062366640013331?s=20

Open beta next week, looks like it's restricted to Xbox One again.

Hot drat I'm ready

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Three days until the open beta (Tuesday, March 17 at 8 PM Eastern, 5 PM Pacific) and Sega has announced a couple of different editions of the game. No word on PC release yet, but they're sticking to their Spring 2020 guns. In the meantime, those of us using our xboxes for the first time in over a month will go ahead and get the team room looking nice and purty for you fellers.

First up, there's the Sonic Collaborator's Edition, $59.99, which includes:

code:
Sonic Suit (M) (x1)
Sonic Suit (F) (x1)
Sonic Hair 1 (x1) 
Sonic Hair 2 (x1)
Emotes 602: Sonic/Tails (x1)
Sonic Knuckles (x1) (Weapon Camo)
Sonic Mask (x1)
Ragol Memory (x5)
Inventory Expansion (10) (x5)
Premium Set (30 Days) Pack (x1)
Mission Pass Gold Ticket (x1)
Beauty Salon Free Pass (x1)
Character Storage Expansion (50) (x5)
EXP Earned +150% (x15)
Triboost +125% (x10)
Grinder (x500)
AC Scratch Ticket (x12)
Great Enhancement Aid +50% (x99)

While I am disappointed we can't rock Robotnik masks yet, the bang-for-buck value is pretty decent, especially compared to buying it individually on JP servers. It costs ~$47 ~$22 at the moment to get 11 AC scratch tickets on the JP server and when you add any of the inventory expansion, character storage, premium, Ragol memory, or whatever mission pass gold ticket is (not the bonus quest that gives you tons of exp--no idea what it is) into the mix, it's well over $60. They're calling it a founder's edition, so if you want the quality of life features but have no desire to be Ryan the Hedgehog, you can probably sit on the cosmetics and sell them down the road to finance the room of your dreams.

Second pack is the Ragol Edition at $29.99, which includes:

code:
Ragol Memory (x10)
Premium Set (30 Days) Pack (x1)
Mission Pass Gold Ticket (x1)
AC Scratch Ticket (x12)

Again, 11, not 12, scratch tickets are already more expensive than that on the Japanese servers. 10 Ragol Memory included in this one, which can be exchanged for various PSO-related goods like outfits, music discs, room posters, or more.

If you buy the Sonic pack, you cannot buy the Ragol Edition. If you want both, you will need to buy the Ragol Fashion Pack instead. The Sonic Edition is the game client + extras and the Ragol Edition is game client + extras, whereas the Ragol Fashion Pack is licensing for the extras only. They are the same price and you can buy as many fashion packs as you want. You can only buy one Sonic pack, since there's no fashion pack equivalent.

Both packs are available next Tuesday when the open beta begins, leading us to the obvious assumption that ron_paul_it's_happening.gif for real, COVID19 and the 18 others, be damned. I am going to try to get a keyboard working with my bone before Tuesday so I can actually talk to everyone instead of staring at chat like a creep who sticks their whole hand in the mashed potatoes at family gatherings/buffets.

Edited JP prices because I lack reading comprehension.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 14, 2020

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

For anyone who is reading this and not sure how to play with goons on NA, get in the discord and once the beta goes live, hit up me on discord or Raujinn. I'm currently leading the Nol Vacancy NA alliance and Raujinn can invite. By the way if anyone else wants to get stuck with inviting powers I am looking for people.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011

Bloodplay it again posted:

It costs ~$47 at the moment to get 11 AC scratch tickets on the JP server
I think you might be confusing it with AC Scratch Gold ticket prices. You can get 12 regular AC Scratches for about $22. This is still a good value, though. Premium is $13, the character storage is $40 (!), inventory expansion is about $17.50, Ragol Memes are hard to price since we can't buy them directly in JP (but maybe we can in NA?), we still have no idea what the Mission Pass even is, etc.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Surprise Noodle posted:

I think you might be confusing it with AC Scratch Gold ticket prices. You can get 12 regular AC Scratches for about $22. This is still a good value, though. Premium is $13, the character storage is $40 (!), inventory expansion is about $17.50, Ragol Memes are hard to price since we can't buy them directly in JP (but maybe we can in NA?), we still have no idea what the Mission Pass even is, etc.

Whoops. You're right. Not sure how I managed to grab the AC gold prices without realizing it. I kept converting 5000 JPY, not 2000.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Stupid question especially since I can’t find it on the xbox website, but no way to pre-load open beta for Tuesday?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Stupid question especially since I can’t find it on the xbox website, but no way to pre-load open beta for Tuesday?

The update to the client for the open beta will drop on the 16th at 10AM PT according to the official twitter.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Saagonsa posted:

The update to the client for the open beta will drop on the 16th at 10AM PT according to the official twitter.

Dont have the closed beta client :( I saw the website mention the download is 75GB.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Dont have the closed beta client :( I saw the website mention the download is 75GB.

Ah, yeah, looking it up it seems like the client will be up for download at the same time the update goes out. So you'll have a day and a half to get that 75gb, unless this thing I'm reading is wrong

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Saagonsa posted:

Ah, yeah, looking it up it seems like the client will be up for download at the same time the update goes out. So you'll have a day and a half to get that 75gb, unless this thing I'm reading is wrong

I hope that's the case, a day in a half is reasonable for me. I'm worried they will make us download the full thing once the open beta goes live. Wish Sega would clarify if this is the official release or not and there will be no more down time. Typically with open betas for online games these days that is how it works, but Sega tends to be old school with this stuff.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

If you buy the Sonic pack, you cannot buy the Ragol Edition. If you want both, you will need to buy the Ragol Fashion Pack instead. The Sonic Edition is the game client + extras and the Ragol Edition is game client + extras, whereas the Ragol Fashion Pack is licensing for the extras only. They are the same price and you can buy as many fashion packs as you want. You can only buy one Sonic pack, since there's no fashion pack equivalent.

Both packs are available next Tuesday when the open beta begins, leading us to the obvious assumption that ron_paul_it's_happening.gif for real, COVID19 and the 18 others, be damned. I am going to try to get a keyboard working with my bone before Tuesday so I can actually talk to everyone instead of staring at chat like a creep who sticks their whole hand in the mashed potatoes at family gatherings/buffets.

Edited JP prices because I lack reading comprehension.

Do you have a source on this? If they posted it somewhere official I can't find it.

Also, have they said anything about what the Mission Pass stuff does and if it stacks? IE: does buying the sonic pack and the ragol fashion pack just waste your mission pass, or do you get like two months worth of mission pass?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Do you have a source on this? If they posted it somewhere official I can't find it.

Also, have they said anything about what the Mission Pass stuff does and if it stacks? IE: does buying the sonic pack and the ragol fashion pack just waste your mission pass, or do you get like two months worth of mission pass?

I would imagine Mission Pass is a consumable item, much like any other premium bonus, use it to unlock the second track of the battle pass.

Also, seconding the "I don't see anywhere prohibiting you from buying both packs". I do see where you can only buy each pack once, while you can buy Ragol Fashion packs an unlimited amount.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

So the only thing I can see online about the PC version is that it's April to June, and that was before likely viral delays. They haven't said anything on this via the site or twitter so I presume this is just someone saying 'well spring is x to y', right? Someone asked above if this Tuesday is the 'official release' and I think it being the open beta is how they're not including pc in it, so I guess when the PC comes out that'll be the 'official release'?

In another dumb question: How did it perform on X consoles vs S consoles? Were there appreciable differences? I've been mulling over getting an S or I guess an X since you can get the X's for 380$ Canadian at the moment with the star wars game. I have gamepass ultimate so it's not a purchase *solely* for PSO2, just the game's another nudge towards it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Blorknorg posted:

So the only thing I can see online about the PC version is that it's April to June, and that was before likely viral delays. They haven't said anything on this via the site or twitter so I presume this is just someone saying 'well spring is x to y', right? Someone asked above if this Tuesday is the 'official release' and I think it being the open beta is how they're not including pc in it, so I guess when the PC comes out that'll be the 'official release'?

In another dumb question: How did it perform on X consoles vs S consoles? Were there appreciable differences? I've been mulling over getting an S or I guess an X since you can get the X's for 380$ Canadian at the moment with the star wars game. I have gamepass ultimate so it's not a purchase *solely* for PSO2, just the game's another nudge towards it.

X held up a bit better than the S performance wise, but the OG Xbox One really apparently had trouble with the game, which hopefully they've cleaned up some, so S should have decent performance.

If you have a 4k TV, and no already existing 4k console it's nice to have an actual one, games look really clean since the X doesn't upscale and actually renders at 4k.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

orange juche posted:

X held up a bit better than the S performance wise, but the OG Xbox One really apparently had trouble with the game, which hopefully they've cleaned up some, so S should have decent performance.

If you have a 4k TV, and no already existing 4k console it's nice to have an actual one, games look really clean since the X doesn't upscale and actually renders at 4k.

Alrighty thanks for the info. I just have a relatively small 1080p tv, but thought there might be a big performance difference or something like that even at 1080p but I guess not. I've half been thinking of the X as a next gen stopgap until the early shortages and hardware revisions are done with in 2021/22. Oh well guess I'll see if other vendors list the S version with the drive for 250$ CAD like Walmart did this week. Weirdly nobody price matched them for some reason.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Blorknorg posted:

Alrighty thanks for the info. I just have a relatively small 1080p tv, but thought there might be a big performance difference or something like that even at 1080p but I guess not. I've half been thinking of the X as a next gen stopgap until the early shortages and hardware revisions are done with in 2021/22. Oh well guess I'll see if other vendors list the S version with the drive for 250$ CAD like Walmart did this week. Weirdly nobody price matched them for some reason.

Well the X does have performance mode when you're in 1080p, where it renders at a higher frame rate, but it's not really an excellent use case for it.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
oh I would super get the sanic founders pack over ragol founders

ragol comes with just the 10 memes and the other stuff, but sanic comes with all of the sanic stuff and still brings 5 ragol memes with it.

cause then yeah; they'll undoubtedly have ragol memories available by other means down the lines, the sonic stuff could easily be founders only (but I could see the JP server getting these items when the Sonic lobby returns in June)

LordOfTheNoobs
Sep 7, 2009

Wonder if the sonic founder pack applies to pc for when it eventually releases there. Super excited for this to be released on pc!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

LordOfTheNoobs posted:

Wonder if the sonic founder pack applies to pc for when it eventually releases there. Super excited for this to be released on pc!

It's supposed to be seamless between Xbox and PC right? Same account, same characters?

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

orange juche posted:

I got a loaner OG Xbox One, so I'll see how much of a potato it is this Tuesday. :smith:

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Nuebot posted:

Presumably the mission pass will be a consumable ticket like Premium, allowing you to stash the second. Surely we will find out more info Monday or Tuesday.

In regards to your first question:

https://www.twitter.com/play_pso2/status/1238514138181070850

I believe there was something even more clear posted to the PSO2 forum but when I log in on desktop with my Xbox account it says "no xbox account found," leaving search broken, and the site just straight-up crashes Firefox on mobile for me right after selecting Enter Site. The link above specifically is referring to someone's "I wish I could buy this more than once" post. The way I understand it is, if you want both, you buy the sonic collab edition for the client + extras and then you'd buy the fashion pack for the Ragol Edition stuff, with no limit on how many fashion packs you can buy.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 15, 2020

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Lemon King posted:

I got a loaner OG Xbox One, so I'll see how much of a potato it is this Tuesday. :smith:

Make sure to go into the settings and reduce the number of detailed character models that are displayed. For some ungodly reason the xbox version defaults to a the max of 50, which is not great even for high end PCs

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Presumably the mission pass will be a consumable ticket like Premium, allowing you to stash the second. Surely we will find out more info Monday or Tuesday.

In regards to your first question:

https://www.twitter.com/play_pso2/status/1238514138181070850

I believe there was something even more clear posted to the PSO2 forum but when I log in on desktop with my Xbox account it says "no xbox account found," leaving search broken, and the site just straight-up crashes Firefox on mobile for me right after selecting Enter Site. The link above specifically is referring to someone's "I wish I could buy this more than once" post. The way I understand it is, if you want both, you buy the sonic collab edition for the client + extras and then you'd buy the fashion pack for the Ragol Edition stuff, with no limit on how many fashion packs you can buy.

Thank you so much, twitter's an absolute mess and I trawled pretty deep and I didn't find this one at all amid the storm of them just responding to people and people spamming big obnoxious discord community things.

Lemon King posted:

That's how I played and, honestly, it wasn't bad at all. Every complaint I had (like the resolution being butt) was felt by my friends using newer bones. The lobby loaded a big sluggish but I also didn't turn down the number of peeps rendered which is something even the PC version has an issue with.

NextTime000 posted:

oh I would super get the sanic founders pack over ragol founders

ragol comes with just the 10 memes and the other stuff, but sanic comes with all of the sanic stuff and still brings 5 ragol memes with it.

cause then yeah; they'll undoubtedly have ragol memories available by other means down the lines, the sonic stuff could easily be founders only (but I could see the JP server getting these items when the Sonic lobby returns in June)

I'll probably get the sonic version because inventory space, honestly. But the ragol stuff is pretty neat. I can't wait to go full on sato fan again.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Annath posted:

It's supposed to be seamless between Xbox and PC right? Same account, same characters?

Yeah, supposedly on the PC version you'll log in with the same XBOX/Microsoft ID.

I hope PC version drops with the full release, but it seems a bit weird to me that they'd go hot without testing crossplay (like with a beta, say), even if the PC version is a decade old and stable as gently caress.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
A Western release at last?

I wish I'd found out about this later. I'm super loving hype for PSO, all the nostalgia is rushing back, and I dunno how the hell I'm gonna take waiting for however many months it takes to get to the PC release.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Weeks to months, really. They might release it at the end of open beta (unlikely) and they might wait until the very end of spring. We've had no word on delays yet.

I have been seeing some misinformation about the xbox version recently, however, so if anyone smarter than me can confirm: do you need xbox live gold or the gamepass to play this now? I've been seeing a lot of people on twitter and stuff saying you do. And the PSO2 twitter hasn't been correcting them.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Weeks to months, really. They might release it at the end of open beta (unlikely) and they might wait until the very end of spring. We've had no word on delays yet.

I have been seeing some misinformation about the xbox version recently, however, so if anyone smarter than me can confirm: do you need xbox live gold or the gamepass to play this now? I've been seeing a lot of people on twitter and stuff saying you do. And the PSO2 twitter hasn't been correcting them.

You do need gold to play, for some reason, according to the official site

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Saagonsa posted:

You do need gold to play, for some reason, according to the official site

But they said it wasn't when they beta released? Welp. Guess I won't be able to play online.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nuebot posted:

But they said it wasn't when they beta released? Welp. Guess I won't be able to play online.

Sega probably intended for it to not require gold, but Microsoft wouldn't let them use voip functions on the xbox without it or something like that.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Nuebot posted:

https://www.twitter.com/play_pso2/status/1222591945236574208

This was posted before the closed beta and I don't recall them ever stating it wouldn't require XBL on Xbox. It won't require it on PC, but it will still require a MS account.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 16, 2020

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
yeah I think the intention was to run the PC version through the microsoft store; hence the microsoft account. but there's been stuff like that work-in-progress online manual that was accidentally left visible to the public that mentioned Steam at one point; but it's hard to say if that wasn't leftover placeholder text from a much older version, possibly even before the whole deal with microsoft was struck. we'll just have to wait and see :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Open beta update is live. 1.76GB download if you already had the closed beta installed. 68.76GB download if you did not download the closed beta.

I am certain we'll see PSO2 on Steam. Microsoft announced last year they are committed to bringing games to Steam again, starting with Gears of War 5. The Steam/XBL functionality already exists in games like Master Chief Collection so the only hang-up I can imagine would be if Steam is trying to take a cut of in-game purchases as well. I don't know how that works between Microsoft and Sega, so adding Valve to the mix can't simplify things.