Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Nodosaur posted:

here's my attempt at a Pendulum-alike. the theme is "Primal Fury" and the focus for the collection is prehistoric, dinosaur, or ancient digimon.

I screwed up with the Baby forms. Pretend it's just Jyarimon to Gigimon there.

Neat

PMush Perfect posted:

You’re a loving hero

Edit: Also, apparently, I follow you on Tumblr, Nodosaur, because I just saw that on my dash.

You're welcome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

TheHan posted:

:psyduck: between this and someone saying there was a joke about is earlier that I missed I wonder if it’s just a dialect quirk with Arata. Bakemon and Bakemon with Hat are totally unimpressive but are like OG Digimon. They couldn’t have just...forgot about ‘em?

I will hear no slander against Bakemon and literally-just-Bakemon-but-with-a-witch-hatmon :colbert:

mandatory lesbian posted:

Translators don't neccesarily know where a line in a game actually is in context so when they were proofreading they saw bakemon was a real Digimon and left it at that

If you haven't been following Voidburger's Youtube LP of Silent Hill 3 I recommend it in large part because they actually got in touch with the lady who did the translations and she provided a lot of insight into how it was organized (or rather wasn't). The commentators frequently point out some of the iffier translations are often because the translator was never given any reference screenshots at all, so in one instance when asked to translate a word she went with "Table" instead of "Pallet" because she literally had no way of knowing the object was a forklift pallet. Said LP also, for the first time very possibly EVER, actually explains the hard level puzzles and how you're actually supposed to solve them.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

PMush Perfect posted:

You’re a loving hero

Edit: Also, apparently, I follow you on Tumblr, Nodosaur, because I just saw that on my dash.

I’m so sorry. I’ve been a real twit there and everywhere else for years :x

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

blossommirage posted:

Cyber Sleuth is one of those rare good video games that changes the game enough to let you be a girl, but doesn't change the character relationships or story at all, so every other girl in the game you meet is just super gay for the player character. We need more Cyber Sleuths in the world.

The dialogue where your male friend goes "I know your type....HUGE loving TIDDIES"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

In the 5 or so hours i've played Cyber Sleuth it has done some cool and interesting things with your standard monster gathering RPG formula and it's quickly established itself as its own thing and not too chained to any series traditions, much to its benefit.

Also there was an early side quest that briefly discussed how it's messed up that the VR world within the game does not have non-binary options for avatar creation. So I think so far it is real good.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So on top of those DS sprites I'm trying to gather together sprites from the Wonderswan games and Digital Monster Version S on the Saturn for the various Digimon in those games that didn't make it into the Story games(cause the sprites on the Saturn and the Wonderswan Color aren't actually all that far off in terms of quality from the DS era stuff), and so far pretty much all of them I've been able to find a sprite of on their Wikimon page, there's just one glaring exception so far, a sprite of Tuskmon from those games just doesn't seem to exist on the Internet at all, which means I either get lucky and someone in one of the places I've asked about that will have it, or I'm going to have to figure out how to rip sprites from a Wonderswan game, which I bet will not be a pleasant experience

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Still having no luck finding it, so I decided I'll just have to play through Anode/Cathode Tamer till I find him and make it myself

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SyntheticPolygon posted:

In the 5 or so hours i've played Cyber Sleuth it has done some cool and interesting things with your standard monster gathering RPG formula and it's quickly established itself as its own thing and not too chained to any series traditions, much to its benefit.

Also there was an early side quest that briefly discussed how it's messed up that the VR world within the game does not have non-binary options for avatar creation. So I think so far it is real good.

It has some wild and really good side content. The writing is definitely a strength, though the translation has some serious issues with just huge chunks of machine translation that make all the texts and minor sidequests incomprehensible sometimes

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
The one quest that’ll be burned into my memory for years is the black market group that’s scraping girl’s measurements to make realdolls for nerds. It’s already invasive and unnerving but the hackers are also tricking said nerds into abandoning their physical bodies so they can sell them! And once all that’s figured out we just move on!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

TheHan posted:

The one quest that’ll be burned into my memory for years is the black market group that’s scraping girl’s measurements to make realdolls for nerds. It’s already invasive and unnerving but the hackers are also tricking said nerds into abandoning their physical bodies so they can sell them! And once all that’s figured out we just move on!

It's still really odd that we never go back to that.

Is that dude trapped in the internet for all eternity now?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

mandatory lesbian posted:

Translators don't neccesarily know where a line in a game actually is in context so when they were proofreading they saw bakemon was a real Digimon and left it at that

No, he’s actually saying Bakemon in the original game too. It’s weird but not a translation issue.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Still having no luck finding it, so I decided I'll just have to play through Anode/Cathode Tamer till I find him and make it myself

And this has gone nowhere because holy poo poo is Anode/Cathode Tamer a really lovely game in every regard beyond graphics

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ended up playing more of Anode/Cathode Tamer, once I found out I could get a free V-Dramon it became a lot easier, and I'm appreciating it a little bit more as a game, even if it definitely is a very dated one, and the moment I find a Tuskmon to get it's sprite I'm probably never going to touch this game again

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Funky Valentine posted:

It's still really odd that we never go back to that.

Is that dude trapped in the internet for all eternity now?

I’ve been anticipating when they were gonna double back to the ghost girl in Shibuya and it was at this case that I realized we probably aren’t ever following up on either.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

TheHan posted:

I’ve been anticipating when they were gonna double back to the ghost girl in Shibuya and it was at this case that I realized we probably aren’t ever following up on either.

We cover some of the unfinished business cases in Hacker’s Memory. Not all of them.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Geostomp posted:

We cover some of the unfinished business cases in Hacker’s Memory. Not all of them.

That sucks imo.

That our cyber crimes detective agency decides to hack the traffic in Shibuya to help a bunch of children test out an urban legend and summon an evil ghost that loves murder, only to just shrug our shoulders upon succeeding in this dark ritual and return to our daily lives as if it wasn't really that interesting after all loving rules. Not just because it's funny but it's helping create this kinda offbeat and eccentric tone that i'm really enjoying.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

SyntheticPolygon posted:

That sucks imo.

That our cyber crimes detective agency decides to hack the traffic in Shibuya to help a bunch of children test out an urban legend and summon an evil ghost that loves murder, only to just shrug our shoulders upon succeeding in this dark ritual and return to our daily lives as if it wasn't really that interesting after all loving rules. Not just because it's funny but it's helping create this kinda offbeat and eccentric tone that i'm really enjoying.

Kyoko has some weird standards for cases. Sometimes she’s all in on any random request, but then she just puts her foot down and says that the office is exclusively about cyber crime and shows the customer the door. Sometimes right after doing a load of legwork like finding this evil ghost.

Hudie’s standards are even weirder since they’re just a hacker team, yet they do basically anything.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

SyntheticPolygon posted:

That sucks imo.

Honestly I loved the case just because it really got across the incredible feel of the game as this weird Occult Urban Fantasy Post-Cyberpunk amalgam. "Yep, turns out the Urban Legend is totally real and you can, in fact, make contact with the other side by doing this dumb, Bloody Mary level thing because Leylines" is an INCREDIBLE tact to take in a Digimon game of all things.

The Occult Club comes back in Hacker's Memory, and their capstone quest is the most pitch perfect encapsulations of CS/HM's gonzo tone.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Digimon artist, designer and voice actor Volcano Ota shows us our chances of death against coronavirus.

https://twitter.com/volcano_ota/status/1238520154662653952

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

That’s uhh not the Digimon I’d pick to show victory.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ethiser posted:

That’s uhh not the Digimon I’d pick to show victory.

Maybe it's the one from the V-Tamer manga, that one didn't die

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Seconds before Covidmon Pandemic Mode returned the favor.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Just read through the Xros Wars manga, was overall pretty good but man you can tell it was rushed as hell

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Also finally found Tuskmon in Anode/Cathode Tamer, so now I have a sprite for him, so once I gather some other sprites from the Wonderswan games that don't have DS era sprites, I'll make an updated version of my Sprite Collection and share it here

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Just read through the Xros Wars manga, was overall pretty good but man you can tell it was rushed as hell

Is it still better than the anime version at least?

Also out of curiosity did Appmon ever get a manga? And if so has any of it been translated?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Larryb posted:

Also out of curiosity did Appmon ever get a manga? And if so has any of it been translated?

Never finished the anime version myself, but overall probably a yes

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

also now have the newest version of my Sprite collection, with 67 new sprites bringing the total number of sheets to 608(from the previous version's 541);

https://mega.nz/#!twsUxY5S!4Fex2q7fkYWirCw3tFAl5WrKsRA5MEH-vcm3et_Ag10

among other additions it more than doubles the amount of Baby(both 1 and 2) Digimon, adds quite a few missing Adults & Perfects from the early days(notably adding Meramon who ended up being the only Digimon from Digital Monster Version 1 who wasn't in the DS Story games, as well as the Tuskmon I spent so much time hunting down), and adds the rest of the Devas to the roster too(as only Andiramon and the Bull and Chicken Devas were in the DS Story games), and two more members of the Erasers as well(still need sprites for the basic Eraser goons as well as TeraDevast though)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

The Xros Wars manga is definitely better than the anime and I fully recommend it, but it's also true that the ending is very rushed and considering the context I imagine that Toei forced it to end after Hunters underperformed.

Appmon does have a manga. I don't think it's fully translated but part was translated and... It's not good. The art is terrible and it's roughly the same as the anime but far more rushed.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So does every Digimon season have its own manga version? And if so, are the others any good?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Larryb posted:

So does every Digimon season have its own manga version? And if so, are the others any good?

The Adventure and 02 manga versions are very...abridged (in Adventure all the Dark Masters go out in the span of one volume, 02 is just two volumes long.)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

Xros Wars is the only one worth paying attention to. If the rest have any, they're abridged adaptations of the anime. XW is instead it's own story using the same characters and concepts but in different ways.

That said, Digimon has manga that isn't connected to the anime!

V-Tamer started before even Adventure and it's the longest running of the manga, finishing around if not after Frontier. It's one of the best Digimon stories and absolutely a must read if you like the franchise. It even has crossovers with 02 and Frontier where the author shows Daisuke and Takuya could've been good characters with someone competent writing them!

Next was released alongside Savers and shares some concepts with it (Digisoul, same Digivice and every partner is the same except Lalamon) but it's based on the V-Pets instead and has a far more classic adventure storyline. It's not great, but it's good enough to read it and enjoy it. Definitely nowhere as good as Savers or V-Tamer though.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

also now have the newest version of my Sprite collection, with 67 new sprites bringing the total number of sheets to 608(from the previous version's 541);

https://mega.nz/#!twsUxY5S!4Fex2q7fkYWirCw3tFAl5WrKsRA5MEH-vcm3et_Ag10

among other additions it more than doubles the amount of Baby(both 1 and 2) Digimon, adds quite a few missing Adults & Perfects from the early days(notably adding Meramon who ended up being the only Digimon from Digital Monster Version 1 who wasn't in the DS Story games, as well as the Tuskmon I spent so much time hunting down), and adds the rest of the Devas to the roster too(as only Andiramon and the Bull and Chicken Devas were in the DS Story games), and two more members of the Erasers as well(still need sprites for the basic Eraser goons as well as TeraDevast though)

turns out I was missing a sprite for the Xros Wars version of Greymon, so here's an update to my Sprite Collection;

https://mega.nz/#!RolTzBwL!cr47IuH9TKGbf0ivFjpCW6CdhoS1pSNf1QSPyc1eLik

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Talking about XW Greymon, I'll always find it funny that Super Xros Wars added recolours for Shoutmon, Greymon and SkullKnightmon, and Greymon got Greymon O - the new Greymon with the original's colours. It's such an obvious choice (since XW Greymon's colours are just the Virus Greymon's, so a "Vaccine" XW Greymon makes sense) but I still find it funny as a low-effort recolour that's nonetheless highly nostalgic and actually looks pretty nice. Too bad they didn't make a MetalGreymon O.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New trailer for the reboot, now with voice acting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dzXKkcx5RE&t=0s

It appears that the DIgimon will retain their usual VAs (except Gatomon who is now played by Mie Sonozaki) while the kids will have entirely new ones.

Taichi - Yuko Sanpei
Yamato - Daisuke Namikawa
Sora - Ryoko Shiraishi
Koshiro - Yumiko Kobayashi
Mimi - Marika Kouno
Jou - Takeshi Kusou
Takeru - Megumi Han
Hikari - Misaki Watada

An interesting mix of veterans and newcomers.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 17, 2020

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm even more convinced that "new" Digimon is an infant form of Algomon. That tower they're pouring out of is covered in vines, even.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I genuinely don't get Toei's weird need to keep changing the Adventure VAs. It made some sense in Tri since everyone was older but even there barely since several already had VAs more than capable of giving them older voices, now we have a full change despite being the kids who could have their VAs sans the...two that died and one that retired, if I remember correctly.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

I genuinely don't get Toei's weird need to keep changing the Adventure VAs. It made some sense in Tri since everyone was older but even there barely since several already had VAs more than capable of giving them older voices, now we have a full change despite being the kids who could have their VAs sans the...two that died and one that retired, if I remember correctly.

Well technically Megumi Han already voiced Takeru in a PSP game from a while back but otherwise agreed.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

eh. I don't mind it. It's a fresh start, relatively speaking.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

Well technically Megumi Han already voiced Takeru in a PSP game from a while back but otherwise agreed.

Takeru has four VAs already, I'm glad they aren't giving him a fifth, that'd be overkill. Then again, if he got a sixth, he'd have a full evolution line of VAs, so maybe this is a wasted opportunity.

Nodosaur posted:

eh. I don't mind it. It's a fresh start, relatively speaking.

There's absolutely nothing fresh about Adventure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Takeru has four VAs already, I'm glad they aren't giving him a fifth, that'd be overkill. Then again, if he got a sixth, he'd have a full evolution line of VAs, so maybe this is a wasted opportunity.

There's absolutely nothing fresh about Adventure.

There’s the one from Adventure, the one from Tri, and the current one. Who’s the fourth?