Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I've found great success with the armor regen chem launcher and a skill build. Just crouch behind any cover, poop out all your chem launcher shots right on top of yourself, and enjoy like 30 uninterrupted seconds of invincibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Seems like you'd want both talents for the true patriot build, yeah? What do you use on your LMG?

I'm currently running 3 red 3 blue with the four piece TP, healer drone and decoy, and doing a pretty decent job soloing. I still die pretty quick but not like, immediately. It still takes me what feels like way too long to kill an enemy but not like, I can't get it done before they murder me. So yeah - a lovely hybrid of red and blue that adds a chunk of survivability for some damage.

To be completely honest I haven't found any build I'd say I'm happy with since the update. I've found a few I can live with, but nothing that makes the way I play (solo, on challenging) feel as fun as it did before. Now to be fair to Massive I WAS speedrunning challenging missions, and they had an explicit goal of getting away from that - but there was something satisfying about the earlier builds that I just don't feel these days. Like my choices before the update were various flavors of overpowered and my choices these days are various flavors of "kinda doesn't suck." Seems like there should be a middle ground where I can't beat a challenging mission by myself in 11 minutes but also I'm not either dying constantly or feeling useless.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
My build is quite a bit different, purely defensive and more group focused. I use 4 piece patriot with the patriot backpack to boost the effects which I think is worth a talent slot, the tardigrade chest which is indispensable for a group focused tank support build imo, and 1 piece ceska for the extra crit chance which is where my (rather low admittedly) damage comes from.

With 6 blues for a maxed out shield and the tardigrade for essentially an extra armor bar you can be plenty tanky as long as you're careful. A maxed bulwark shield can tank near indefinite amounts of damage from a surprising amount of enemies so you always have a reliable panic button to help you retreat or revive a teammate. I also run the reviver hive so I can make more dangerous plays without the risk of dying.

For damage I have crit chance on every piece and some crit damage on the ceska piece as well. Gun choice is flexible, most people go for the sleipner, but I prefer my god rolled negev with strained which feels way better to use. Strained is very strong on an lmg and is a lot less finicky than perfect frenzy. I also run a backup high capacity lmg for sustained fire, currently the named stoner, but that will eventually be replaced with the bullet king. Sometimes you just wanna stack as many patriot debuffs as you can or you're in a situation where you don't wanna reload your main lmg and a backup lmg is ideal for that. I also have a very well rolled d50 with ranger that I use with my shield, the damage sucks, but that's the tradeoff for being nearly unkillable.

I've generally found so far that I prefer to go all in on one core attribute with builds, hybrids tend to feel like they're just bad at everything unless they're pretty optimized. The damage on my patriot build sucks rear end, but it's just enough to get the job done which is plenty when combined with the survivability that it offers. Either my teammates pick up the dps slack or I'm solo and the enemies are a lot more manageable.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Pro-tip: Lincoln Memorial has chest pieces as targeted loot so if you haven't gotten the Tardigrade exotic then today's your best chance. Remember, it only drops from the last named enemy (Keates), but since named enemies have guaranteed targeted loot drops that means the possible drop pool shrinks a lot.

True Patriot chat: I think the chest has one of the weakest talents relative to its gearset out of all the gearsets. The .5s decrease in cycle time isn't worth it, especially when something like the Tardigrade exists.

I think to get the most out of a TP set you need the named Petrov gloves (called Contractor's Gloves) and the Pestilence. The gloves give you bonus LMG damage and 15% damage to armor which is unique among gear attributes. The Pestilence deals a crazy amount of damage if you get the debuff on someone, and in a full blue TP build, you'll get a lot of uptime for shooting because you don't have to actively heal yourself.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Patriot can easily bring all of the above named (support, bonus armor, revives) and still top the damage meters most of the time. I think I've failed to be #1 in damage about 3 times total with Patriot.

There's no need to keep all the tankiness, especially if you assume you have a healer. Use that tankiness to keep DPSing as much as possible, don't hunker down and wait for an ally to die and needing a revive.

I've had players join with incredible DPS builds, huge burst windows. But if I'm only doing 40% less damage but I'm able to shoot 90% of the time instead of 30%..

Edit: the more aggressive (but safe) you play with Patriot, the higher your damage output will become. Flag AoEs will hit more targets if you're closer to their spawns instead of on the other side of the room.

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Mar 15, 2020

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Yeah the tankiness definitely allows you to be pretty reckless which is the main thing that keeps me competetive in terms of damage. I'm usually aiming to be in the thick of it so that the dedicated dps can have an easier time putting out damage without breaks as I pull a shitload of aggro by being in the middle of the fight out of cover. I love the feeling of being the sturdy reliable one in the group that brings out the best from the rest of the team, but it would suck if I couldn't do any damage of my own.

I'm gonna have to try out the pestilence setup, that sounds very fun. How did pestilence change with gear 2.0?

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Yeah, I've been trying to get Pestilence for a while now, as I think that's about the only LMG that could outDPS my Sleipner.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Have matchmaking open for the whole mission and nobody joins, then the boss fight disables it and two people join instantly. Great success

Also, first triple max item from a challenging tidal basin

Jusupov fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Mar 15, 2020

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
I've had good success matchmaking by going into the mission and hitting call for backup. Otherwise, I never seem to get a group.

-edit-
I just got a Chameleon from Neptune. My first exotic! Oh, it seems like it does a million less DPS than my Glory Daze. Am I missing something?

Sipher fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 15, 2020

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Digital Osmosis posted:

To be completely honest I haven't found any build I'd say I'm happy with since the update. I've found a few I can live with, but nothing that makes the way I play (solo, on challenging) feel as fun as it did before. Now to be fair to Massive I WAS speedrunning challenging missions, and they had an explicit goal of getting away from that - but there was something satisfying about the earlier builds that I just don't feel these days. Like my choices before the update were various flavors of overpowered and my choices these days are various flavors of "kinda doesn't suck." Seems like there should be a middle ground where I can't beat a challenging mission by myself in 11 minutes but also I'm not either dying constantly or feeling useless.

So I've been doing a whole bunch of solo heroic stuff and it's been most successful with the current meta build of 3 Providence, Fox's Prayer, Grupo Sombra and Ceska. Perfect Glass Cannon on the chest and Vigilance on the backpack ( I haven't found the Perfect Vigilance or Contractors gloves yet ). I primarily use the Baker's Dozen and a god rolled Fast Hands Banshee for backup. I'm at crit cap with over 100% crit damage and headshot damage so everything melts. I can't take too many hits but if I maintain good positioning and don't get cocky/careless then it doesn't matter. I'm on the hunt for a good Fenris chest with Obliterate to make a less squishy AR build ( I have a decent rolled FAMAS with Strained ready to roll ) and/or a Contractors Gloves to run with Sleipnir. I have 4 pieces of True Patriot I have been using with the Glass Cannon chest and Vigilance backpack that I break out for group stuff ( and I've soloed CP4s with it as well ). I would say that this has been a pretty OP build, and there's a number of youtubers who've gotten a lot of mileage out of it.

I've tried soloing Challenging & Heroic with a Striker's +Bloodletter + Intimidate + Savage Wolverine build and that wasn't a great time , nor do I recommend a Hardwired build for soloing ( simply doesn't do enough damage at Heroic ).

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 15, 2020

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

strikers is bugged atm right ? (in fact I believe that ALL damage is bugged atm and it's not actually enemy HP that is the problem scaling wise) There is some poo poo where framerate affects hits registering and is worse as RPM goes up ?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
One of the funniest bugs I've ever seen

That's a wardog using the mortar keyboard in coney island

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Shoren posted:

Pro-tip: Lincoln Memorial has chest pieces as targeted loot so if you haven't gotten the Tardigrade exotic then today's your best chance. Remember, it only drops from the last named enemy (Keates), but since named enemies have guaranteed targeted loot drops that means the possible drop pool shrinks a lot.

Huh, you weren't kidding. First heroic run of the day

Jusupov posted:

One of the funniest bugs I've ever seen

That's a wardog using the mortar keyboard in coney island

I refuse the believe this is a bug

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is this game in a good place right now, i.e., is it worth picking up? I got the first one free with a video card when it came out and enjoyed it for a few months but haven't really paid any attention to the sequel. I'm anticipating spending a lot of time at home in the next few weeks and looking for something fun but relatively mindless to kill time.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

So apparently Legendary is Black Tusk only. :v:
Managed to get through the first 2 areas in Roosevelt Island, third was basically a firing squad aimed at the only entrance.

The AI is actually brutal, a lot more fun than I expected actually. But numbers wise I'm definitely quite a bit short, obviously. They definitely weren't kidding when they said the AI would make not only better decisions but they make them way faster too. They're ruthless but one of the big perks of this is: they won't hide like little shits for 30 seconds if they're the last one. Even on Heroic they're annoying at some spots.

Some stuff I noticed:
Medics keep ressing no matter what even if it means they die without ressing. Suicide drones take 1/2/3 Liberty pistol shots for red/purple/yellow (though I suppose if you have full red they might die in 1/1/2).
They won't get baited into melee as quickly. Grenade Launchers will shoot slightly behind you instead of at your shield. They will do this even when you're 2 meters away from them.
They send out 1-2 flankers, if they die the next ones will start flanking all while the others are giving covering fire and sending drones.
If you reload, they'll push around the corner as soon as possible.

Oh and they're all stormtrooper white.

Edit: Can't plan ahead as much, the reason I died on the third area is because a sniper saw me while using the ammo box between the two areas.

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 15, 2020

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Bold Robot posted:

Is this game in a good place right now, i.e., is it worth picking up? I got the first one free with a video card when it came out and enjoyed it for a few months but haven't really paid any attention to the sequel. I'm anticipating spending a lot of time at home in the next few weeks and looking for something fun but relatively mindless to kill time.

Well it’s $10 right now for the base game and I think that’s a great buy.

If you want it all, the expansion and game combo is also on sale.

We are all having a great time. New York really sparked a ton of life into the game and I love the set pieces.

Game has its hiccups of course but for a goon community AND a game that got improved just recently with the new expansion, it’s a lot of fun. At the very least, I can easily say that $10 for the base right now is extremely solid and very worth it for throwing a tenski at.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My only current gripe is that targeted loot is good except when the thing I want isn't on the day's agenda.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
So I found a Pestilence in a DZ, put it on the extraction line at a helicopter and died. Received nothing in the mail. That's cool. Didn't have any notification that I dropped loot or someone stole my loot. Items just disappeared.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I really enjoy this game, it is exactly what I wanted atm.
But some of the bugs in it are pretty lovely.
I have had a support request in since Tuesday for my constant disconnects and have not even received any reply.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

ZombyDog posted:

a god rolled Fast Hands Banshee.

So I got one of these with maxed crit chance and crit damage, plus Close and Personal for the talent. The SMG damage roll is only like 8% though and I'm wondering if if the move here is to max that our or to stick Fast Hands on it. Thoughts?

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009
So what's the secret to matchmaking in this game? I can't matchmake into any missions if I select any difficulty over story.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Mrs. Dash posted:

So what's the secret to matchmaking in this game? I can't matchmake into any missions if I select any difficulty over story.

The secret is to wait until they fixed it because consensus is that it's borked.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

ICR posted:

Well it’s $10 right now for the base game and I think that’s a great buy.

If you want it all, the expansion and game combo is also on sale.

We are all having a great time. New York really sparked a ton of life into the game and I love the set pieces.

Game has its hiccups of course but for a goon community AND a game that got improved just recently with the new expansion, it’s a lot of fun. At the very least, I can easily say that $10 for the base right now is extremely solid and very worth it for throwing a tenski at.

Thanks, I guess I'll pick it up. If I go for the edition with the DLC, should I start at level 1 or do this level 30 boost thing?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Bold Robot posted:

Thanks, I guess I'll pick it up. If I go for the edition with the DLC, should I start at level 1 or do this level 30 boost thing?

I would definitely do the boost since you get the three original specializations fully unlocked. Then, if you want, you can play the story missions in order. I assume the base game story missions will be fully unlocked so you can go right to hard mode and above. Expansion story missions will be locked to story difficulty.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I took a little break and thinking of Division 1 inspired me. There were builds on there that used to run 2 piece Nomad for 15% Health on Kill for some really good sustain. Now System Corruption gives the same bonus and it works great with a Rifle build. I solo'd CP4s no issue and it really kicks rear end for damage in groups too.

(Note: Those other guys kicked rear end and we got through a ridiculously hard mission with only one initial wipe. Great teamwork and support that allowed this build shine.)

Here's what I'm using

The Baker's Dozen is great for fewer or more distant enemies to pop dudes with fewer shots, and the MDR with Boomerang is better for closer or spongier enemies where you can mag dump as it actually does more DPS (at the cost of your index finger holy poo poo). I have The Sacrifice chest for Perfect Glass Cannon, Vigilance on my backpack, Contractor Gloves for bonus armor damage, and Fox's Prayer Knees for damage to targets out of cover. The real game-changer was realizing damage to your shield doesn't get rid of your Vigilance buff. Your shield is weak but regens quicker and way better than your armor. So you can hide behind something, pop out to kill someone with a few shots, then duck back in to regen. It works really really well and makes you as tanky as possible for a full red build. I'm running it with Gunner and an armor on kill mod which gives me back 185k armor/kill and will heal up any incidental damage you may take. It works really, really well.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

https://i.imgur.com/GuOuLu3.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/V9kqD3i.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/bF9kHDm.gifv

But I am not owned:
https://i.imgur.com/O0z3X6N.gifv
(Seriously, a group of skill builds still rocks all night)

Here’s some pics because this game continues to be as beautiful as it gets:

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Mrs. Dash posted:

short answer: get on the discord

there's way too many missions at different level ranges to matchmake, especially if you're not at the endgame so you won't really get any chance of matchmaking during the campaign. At the endgame you'll have decent success at matchmaking for bounties, daily missions and weekly invaded missions.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
Also matchmaking seems to be broken right now. sometimes it works, other times not. I found teleporting around from safe house to safe house sometimes unstucks it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

bamhand posted:

So I found a Pestilence in a DZ, put it on the extraction line at a helicopter and died. Received nothing in the mail. That's cool. Didn't have any notification that I dropped loot or someone stole my loot. Items just disappeared.

Helicopter crew saw you go down, figured you weren't gonna be needing it anymore and took it home.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Dying also screws the game up a bit.
I died in the midst of soloing a control point takeover where an elite patrol showed up and then also a convoy and those idiots with the bows fighting the trashcan lid guys also somehow got involved.
Respawned and then teleported to the guys taking it over, once all enemies were dead nothing happened.
It would just never get taken over.
After doing another CP, I teleported back, and then the takeover initiated without anymore enemies spawning.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 15, 2020

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Is the damage number on guns DPS, or just straight damage per shot? I have no idea how to compare stuff.

What should I be looking for to upgrade from my Stoner?

Sipher fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 15, 2020

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Bold Robot posted:

You'll miss out on flavor bits in side missions and the puzzle-ey finding of SHD caches. It's not just level 30 - it puts you at the point you'd be if you finished all the content circa ~2 months after release. All gearscore 500 gear, all shd tech unlocked, all missions (at the time - there are now more) cleared, a bunch of crafting materials, all three original specs fully unlocked, and all base facilities fully unlocked. This is good for several reasons, notably saving many many hours of spec farming, but yeah it basically skips the vanilla game. I think you can boost any time before you hit 30, so if you want to go through a bit of a tutorial or see the story beats before boosting that's an option.

One thing you absolutely want to do is create three other throwaway characters and boost them (you can boost anything in your account) to 30 regardless of what you do on your main. Each day you get to turn in some common resources for a blueprint you don't yet have, and since you can buy shared mats/blueprints storage for some trivial amount of credits this means 3-4 unique new blueprints every day. Most of them you'll never use but the weapon attachments are staples you always want.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
You can boost anytime, including at level 30. I played through 1-30, did all the strongholds and got to world level 1. When I went to NY at that point it required me to boost as I wasn't at world level 5 yet.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Huh, you weren't kidding. First heroic run of the day

I also got an exotic on my first heroic run of American History Museum today.

It was a Dodge City holster with lovely rolls instead of a Pestilence :wtf:

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I got the BTSU gloves on my first-ever run of Camp White Oak, so the RNG luck today is strong.

I didn't know they had been changed/nerfed so badly. What gear should I be targeting for a skill build, then? I already have all of the Hard Wired pieces, and I'm currently using the China Light set kneepads (for +15% explosives damage) and a named backpack that gives skill damage on skill kills. My gun sucks, I think (it's just a random LMG I had with Perpetuation).

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Doesn't the Pestilence only drop from Outcast bosses?

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

I got the BTSU gloves on my first-ever run of Camp White Oak, so the RNG luck today is strong.

I didn't know they had been changed/nerfed so badly. What gear should I be targeting for a skill build, then? I already have all of the Hard Wired pieces, and I'm currently using the China Light set kneepads (for +15% explosives damage) and a named backpack that gives skill damage on skill kills. My gun sucks, I think (it's just a random LMG I had with Perpetuation).

I would recommend the exotic backpack called Acosta's Go-bag. You can find it in any faction lockbox, but your best bet is to go to the Kenly College Metro Station zone and open the Outcast lockboxes there (probably close to 10 there). The great thing about the backpack is that you can get overcharge on demand simply by throwing a grenade. It also comes with a bunch of other passives (like extra grenades and armor kits).

As for the rest of your gear, the four-piece Hard Wired bonus is still pretty useful, just avoid the chest piece because it's still bugged. Cassie is selling the mask and holster right now if you can find her so you'd just need the gloves and kneepads. I'd also suggest Wyvern Wear for your last piece (assuming you're not running Technician then you can choose something like Gila Guard for a little more survivability) to get the 10% skill damage bonus. Get as much skill damage and skill haste attributes everywhere else and you're good to go. Find a gun with Spike for bonus skill damage on headshot, too.

Seditiar posted:

Doesn't the Pestilence only drop from Outcast bosses?

Nope, all year one exotics can drop from anywhere now. It used to be that once you got an exotic from the intended route (crafting, faction boss drop, etc.) then you could find it in the general loot pool. For level 40 players, those exotics are now in the general loot pool regardless of whether you had them before. I've heard Pestilence has a high DZ drop rate now, but it can be dropped anywhere (LMG targeted loot is best, of course).

The new exotics (Bullet King, Lady Death, Tardigrade, etc) can only drop from their specific locations, though.

Shoren fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 15, 2020

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
As odd as this sounds the one thing I am liking the most in Div2 is being able to use a G36 type AR again. My dude in Div1 got a max damage one early on and it's been my main AR forever. I know AKs can do more damage but the lack.of stabilization and accuracy is annoying. With the accuracy on the G36 cranked up I can hit stuff reliably at a pretty far distance.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Shoren posted:

I would recommend .
Thank you for the recommendations! Mention of Kenly Metro makes me want to put a bullet through my brain though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Where do Apparel keys come from now?

Just the season pass? Randomly on SHD level ups?

I was getting them consistently with each level up to 40, but now they seem to have dried up. I want the rest of that BTSU costume. :(