Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

el oso posted:

The Stand does a great job in the first half but the 2nd half is fairly meh.
This is just how the stand be though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

This is just how Stephen King be though

FTFY

I hate Stephen King i slogged through all the Dark Tower books only to have THE MOST BULLSHIT ENDING OF ALL TIME thrust upon me and I'm still so bitter about it's ruined King for me

(Just kidding I still love Stephen King but goddamn I'm salty about the ending of the Dark Tower series)

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

M_Sinistrari posted:

^ Kwaidan's a must see classic.

Agreed 100%. Kwaidan is amazing.

gey muckle mowser posted:

Cure is extremely good, right up there with Pulse. I like Dark Water too. I haven’t seen Nightmare Detective in years but I remember liking it. The Red Shoes is Korean, not Japanese, but I think it fits with what you’re looking for.

Cure and Dark Water are two of my all-time favorites, exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. Haven't seen Nightmare Detective and The Red Shoes, so I'll check those out. Thanks!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

el oso posted:

The Stand mostly had excellent casting with ... M O O N standing out.

Never forget that this actor would later go on to voice Patrick Star on Spongebob Squarepants for the rest of his career.

He's also the mummy Harold from Disney's Under Wraps.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

The best Dark Waters is 1993 film and is my horror movie deep cut.

Post your favorite horror movie deep cut film.

Deep cut is a obscure horror movie most people have never heard of and much less seen.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 15, 2020

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

when i was a child the trailer for the jennifer connely dark water would play before the hitchikers guide to the galaxy movie dvd and scared the poo poo outta me

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Kvlt! posted:

when i was a child the trailer for the jennifer connely dark water would play before the hitchikers guide to the galaxy movie dvd and scared the poo poo outta me

ah, so you're the one it scared.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I get all my deep cuts from this thread so nothing I can say would seem like a deep cut.

Horror Express?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Killer Workout is a dumb fun time. Getting killed with a large clothing pin, what a way to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKzV0DT2SqA

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

It's kind of infamous trash cinema, but maybe Wild Zero counts as a deep cut. It's about the Japanese band Guitar Wolf (and Ace, their biggest fan) fending off a zombie apocalypse. It's available in its entirety on YouTube in glorious 360p.

Here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ_D9OjDoQ0

Rock 'n' Roll JET-Movie!

Sarchasm fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 15, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
More people should watch Demons, Demons 2, The Church, Death Spa, and The Eyes of My Mother. I wouldn’t say they’re deep cuts to this thread, but we have a lot of fresh faces that may not know these faves.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I'll go with 2LDK and Spider Forest, both got DVD releases like 15 years ago but I imagine people have kinda forgotten them now.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Not super deep cut but The Pact, The Echo, and Diabolical are a fun run to throw on when I'm playing oxygen not included.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

...and Starfish, which is in Hulu right now. Got drat what an interesting piece of work.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sarchasm posted:

It's kind of infamous trash cinema, but maybe Wild Zero counts as a deep cut. It's about the Japanese band Guitar Wolf (and Ace, their biggest fan) fending off a zombie apocalypse. It's available in its entirety on YouTube in glorious 360p.

Here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ_D9OjDoQ0

Rock 'n' Roll JET-Movie!

That's not even the strangest thing I've seen a band do. That's still Armata Strigoi, a licensed board game in which the members of the metal band Powerwolf travel back in time and become werewolves so they can use their music to fight vampires. (It's far better than it deserves to be, actually.)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

More people should watch Demons, Demons 2, The Church, Death Spa, and The Eyes of My Mother. I wouldn’t say they’re deep cuts to this thread, but we have a lot of fresh faces that may not know these faves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTgr3j1jfao

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

one can really only go so deep down the horror deep-cut rabbit hole bc eventually you'll just end up on bestgore and idk about you guys but I love fake violence but cannot stomach real violence

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Kvlt! posted:

one can really only go so deep down the horror deep-cut rabbit hole bc eventually you'll just end up on bestgore and idk about you guys but I love fake violence but cannot stomach real violence

I still have legit Internet PTSD from, let's see, "Motorcycle Face" (you know the one), a video of a woman's autopsy, a Vice doc about that Japanese cannibal and Dissected Chan.

Why did I remind myself of that poo poo I feel sick to my soul and also stomach now. I don't know how police and special effects people do it, like what the gently caress.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
The only deep cut that's not just a standard horror thread suggestion is Human Lanterns, on Amazon Prime. Probably the best kung fu horror movie there is.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
does Noroi always look like VHS-level quality or is the version on Shudder just lovely?

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

So I watched

The Addiction which really fits into that '90s, black and white, post-Cold War, nihilistic, downer moment, which feels like a departure for Ferrara. The films I've seen of his so far have all been dark in subject matter, but very bright and colourful in presentation. It also does the vampires as a metaphor thing, which didn't 100% work for me. Vampires stand apart from humanity to an extent that trying to make them relatable as metaphors feels a bit like a doomed venture, they're always just going to ultimately feel like aloof serial killers more than whatever metaphor you're trying to convey. So I was really happy that genocide and evil were the more prominent overarching themes.

It sounds like I'm complaining, but The Addiction is easily in my top 5 vampire movies. It's just that it's a film that is so densely packed with themes, there's a lot to chew over, pick at and debate. So yeah, it's arty and it made my brain feel challenged, which is a good thing. Walken also steals the film in the same way he steals it in Pulp Fiction. He's there for a moment, chews the scenery to pieces, spits it out, and disappears.

Oh, and I also love how "inviting the vampire in" is extended to bodily autonomy, and how that pays off with the leaflet guy meekly saying "No thank you".

Bad Lieutenant which isn't a horror film, but I think it might be my favourite Ferrara film so far, so I thought I'd mention it. I apparently really needed naked Harvey Keitel in my life.

Frankenhooker because I realised I still hadn't seen this or Bad Biology yet. Not much to say other than it's a lot of fun, plenty of exploding people, boobs, humour, and the buff shower guy from Brain Damage is back. We even get an awesome Beverly Bonner cameo advocating sex workers' rights. I also really appreciate that they had a middle aged topless dancer in the club scene and it wasn't treated as a punchline.

I'd say it's probably my third favourite Henenlotter film. It would be interesting to watch it back to back with The Man with Two Brains, because there's definitely a lot of parallels there.

fake edit:

King Vidiot posted:

I still have legit Internet PTSD from, let's see, "Motorcycle Face" (you know the one), a video of a woman's autopsy, a Vice doc about that Japanese cannibal and Dissected Chan.

Why did I remind myself of that poo poo I feel sick to my soul and also stomach now. I don't know how police and special effects people do it, like what the gently caress.

I remember seeing a video of a Russian teenager beating someone's face with a hammer in a forest, and that's the day I stopped visiting ogrish. It wasn't even the violence or gore that shook me up, it was the guy trying to feebly defend himself and then go limp... I'll still watch documentaries with real violence in them though. There's a documentary about Tiananmen Square that is GRAPHIC, but it almost seems important to witness historical abuses like that

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 15, 2020

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

married but discreet posted:

The only deep cut that's not just a standard horror thread suggestion is Human Lanterns, on Amazon Prime. Probably the best kung fu horror movie there is.

I would dispute that because The Seventh Curse, I mean Human Lanterns is a good movie but it's no Seventh Curse.

Another Deep Cut for Chinese would be Devil Fetus.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

do u just watch movies and rate them by how much they stan your political views

watch bad lieutenant 2 with a deranged nicolas cage sweatin it out in NOLA its so much funner than the first one

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

do u just watch movies and rate them by how much they stan your political views

Yes. My rating system is I rate politically correct movies as a 5, and bad movies I drag the director into the street and hang them from the nearest lamppost

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the virgin poser rating movies by their politics vs the chad horror connoisseur rating movies by the quality of the practical FX gore

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

gey muckle mowser posted:

does Noroi always look like VHS-level quality or is the version on Shudder just lovely?

That's the intention with Noroi, yeah. That's why even the subs look like poo poo

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I think the boring answer is that I've only read one book on film criticism, Film as Film by Perkins, and the gist of that was "judge films based on how well they do what they're trying to do, and cut out the bullshit" which seems like good advice

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

I get all my deep cuts from this thread so nothing I can say would seem like a deep cut.

haha me too. findinh a horror film that this thread doesn't know about is borderline impossible

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I think the boring answer is that I've only read one book on film criticism, Film as Film by Perkins, and the gist of that was "judge films based on how well they do what they're trying to do, and cut out the bullshit" which seems like good advice

im not even disagreeing with your political views but I cant fathom watching something like a Fulci movie and deciding whether its good or not based on whether the Italian director born in 1927 injects enough 21st century (insert your political views) into his film.

its a movie just enjoy it or dont on its own merit lmao like i can see if the director was a nazi or something thats a different story but to be like "drat this slasher sucks! it doesnt even promote (whatever political view)" is one of the dumbest things ive read in this thread and i even read my own posts so thats saying something

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 15, 2020

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Yeah, I'm not really saying that either. I just mentioned it because Frankenhooker also literally mentions it, and I thought it was cool :shrug:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

cool corn and i will have to have a discussion before we take you off the poser list in other news has anyone seen the golden glove yet how is it any good?

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Don't worry about being misunderstood by a 14 year old, DDD.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Horror, and heavy metal, are best enjoyed with the mindset of a 14 year old.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Sarchasm posted:

Any good Japanese ghost story recommendations? Looking for something grim and self-serious like Noroi or Pulse. Bonus points if it was released within the past few years, but don't let that stop you from recommending some hidden gem.

Although they’re not Japanese, I’d recommend checking out Shutter (the Thai version, not the American remake), as well as the Korean Whispering Corridors series.

Adhesion
Sep 10, 2001

Next you gonna mention lifting up a nacho and seein' a big old terrified eye starin' at you

aware of dog posted:

Although they’re not Japanese, I’d recommend checking out Shutter (the Thai version, not the American remake), as well as the Korean Whispering Corridors series.

Can confirm Shutter is great and legitimately scary.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Hollismason posted:

I would dispute that because The Seventh Curse, I mean Human Lanterns is a good movie but it's no Seventh Curse.

Another Deep Cut for Chinese would be Devil Fetus.

See, both Seventh Curse and Human Lanterns are great entertainment, but hard to compare. Human Lanterns has great cinematography, set design and choreography, and Seventh Curse has Chow Yun Fat shooting an RPG at a Ridley Scott Alien.

edit: And if you want to go in that direction of craziness, you might as well watch Butterfly Murders, and do so without any spoilers.

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 16, 2020

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The political messages in The Hunt are dumb/pointless and the movie would have been better off without them. Just have it be a regular old rich people hunting poor people for sport dark comedy and leave out all the "deplorables are bad but liberals are bad too maybe the truth is in the middle" bullshit.

Glenn Howerton was pretty much just playing "Dennis, but rich", not that that's a bad thing. He made a great douchebag villain, I sort of wish the rest of the cast of it's always sunny in Philadelphia were cast as "their characters on iasip, but rich" too.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/eliroth/status/1239321581689556993?s=21

https://twitter.com/stephenking/status/1238976466848755714?s=21

https://twitter.com/lloydkaufman/status/1239318580098936835?s=21

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

aware of dog posted:

Watched Whispering Corridors this afternoon based on this recommendation. I liked it! It's thematically similar to Battle Royale, but more languid and morose.

I think I've seen Shutter already but I can't remember a single goddamn thing about it so I guess I'm due for a rewatch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Saw a guy wearing a Svengoolie shirt yesterday. So rare that I see a horror-anything shirt in public.