Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, sorry to leave that fact out, I did that, and driving it for half an hour will charge up enough juice to start the car right after the drive, but then 2-3 days later it's unwilling to even click, it's so dead. I am wondering if maybe it's just a faulty battery that I should get warrantied before the year runs out because I can't think of anything on the car that'd be pulling any power while it's sitting, it has literally no features, and I can't imagine that SoCal winter temps are variant enough to murder a relatively unused battery in a year.

Luckily I have a couple $50 chinese battery start packs, it's been a pain in the balls to start on its own for a couple weeks now and getting worse but those things are godsends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
You have parasitic draw most likely. Something is draining the battery. All you need is is a multimeter.

https://youtu.be/KF1gijj03_0

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

um excuse me posted:

My 96 hell Miata ended up not liking the new lifters. loving God drat piece of poo poo. They're deflated and not inflating. No oil pressure in the top end. The oil pressure sender shows pressure. I'm completely out of ideas. I've replaced the oil pump, and there's oil in the head, so I don't know what's working, what isn't

I've fallen completely into madness, started asking the internet of all places for help. Like, not here, for help. I got a suggestion to check the head gasket. Did any of you know you could out an NA gasket on upside down? Because nobody told me.

Can you spot the smoking gun?

Anyways shits off, gotta clean it and put it all back together. I'm pretty sure I have to manually refill the lash adjusters to get the air out.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Seeing as you just did it, how hard is it to get the engine out without the transmission attached? I've never seen anyone do it with just the engine. Also what harbor fright hoist did you use?

E: I'm leaving my idiot comment up. I just noticed you used the hoist to pull the head? It can't be that heavy, can it?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The hoist is an aid so I can double and triple check around the head to make sure everything is disconnected and out of the way while the head is in the air. I'm sure leaning over and lifting that up isn't good for your back either, of which mine is bad.

As for pulling the engine without the trans, you have to basically disassemble the starter mount which isn't easy to reach. But I wouldn't be worried about pulling it out more than putting it in, assuming you were somehow able to reach the bolts on top of the bell housing to begin with. Lining it all back up would be a nightmare. Having pulled the engine out of this car 3 times now, I say take the time and take it out connected. After you do it once, it all goes much faster. The first time I did it must have taken 40-60 hours The second time was 16 hours. That's out, rebuilt, and reinstalled.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Gonna post again? Sure. Got the sanding block and straight edge today.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Do NB2 Miatas have the same crank (or is it cam?) sensor problems the NB1 has?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Cam and yes

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Oh well. Going to look at a low mileage NB2 tomorrow, if the price is right I'm gonna grab it I think.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's like $50 and a bolt right on top of the valve cover. vOv

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Phone posted:

It's like $50 and a bolt right on top of the valve cover. vOv

Yep - definitely not a deal killer by any means

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
More head progress.

This is for my sanity. I know it's on correctly now.

Looks like it'll be running later today, barring any issues.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
Never stop posting. :dance:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Goober Peas posted:

Yep - definitely not a deal killer by any means

Oh yeah I know it's not, just making sure so I know to buy an extra one to keep in the car if i get it.

For some reason I thought only the NB1 had the issue, no big deal.

[e] if I can get the seller to respond, apparently he doesn't give a poo poo if he sells it or not. asks me if we can reschedule then nothing.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 29, 2020

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Miata's running again. Had to open it back up to check timing, find a fuel leak, and find a large oil leak

Found the oil leak.

Found the fuel leak:

Timing was fine, I had a weird sounding idle and I think I forgot a vacuum line on the last assembly.

Now there's only a small oil leak from the oil filter. Manageable, will probably have Mazda look at it while they do the alignment.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Ugh. My NB overheated today on the highway for the second time. After the first time I replaced the radiator cap with the cap from my (dead) NA. Seemed to work fine until I was pretty much on the exact same stretch of highway and gauge started climbing again.

Both times I pulled over with 10s of the gauge climing past halfway, with it quickly climbing towards the right as I stopped. Let engine cool down, reseated radiator cap. Drove home relatively slowly and gauge sat at the normal position the whole time.

Same symptoms both times, coolant starts boiling in the overflow and shooting out the vent tube. Coolant level is not low, radiator is still full. Do not see any leaks anywhere. Does not appear to be any change in color/oil in the coolant. Does not appear to be any air in the system/it was burped.

I ordered a new OEM radiator cap. What are the chances my first cap was bad, and my replacement cap was also just not up to the task? I don't think either were OEM. Don't know how old the caps were, but my NB is 20 years old and my NA 26 years old.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Mazda made way too many automatic Miatas. Every time I run across what I think is a great deal it turns out to be a slushbox :smith:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Elysium posted:

Ugh. My NB overheated today on the highway for the second time. After the first time I replaced the radiator cap with the cap from my (dead) NA. Seemed to work fine until I was pretty much on the exact same stretch of highway and gauge started climbing again.

Both times I pulled over with 10s of the gauge climing past halfway, with it quickly climbing towards the right as I stopped. Let engine cool down, reseated radiator cap. Drove home relatively slowly and gauge sat at the normal position the whole time.

Same symptoms both times, coolant starts boiling in the overflow and shooting out the vent tube. Coolant level is not low, radiator is still full. Do not see any leaks anywhere. Does not appear to be any change in color/oil in the coolant. Does not appear to be any air in the system/it was burped.

I ordered a new OEM radiator cap. What are the chances my first cap was bad, and my replacement cap was also just not up to the task? I don't think either were OEM. Don't know how old the caps were, but my NB is 20 years old and my NA 26 years old.

ambient temp? fans working? undertray in place? last time the radiator was replaced? last time the water pump was replaced?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Mazda made way too many automatic Miatas. Every time I run across what I think is a great deal it turns out to be a slushbox :smith:

Manual swap

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nodoze posted:

Manual swap

Nah been there done that not worth it. I'll just wait :v:

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Phone posted:

ambient temp? fans working? undertray in place? last time the radiator was replaced? last time the water pump was replaced?

Temp was about 60, pretty sure the fans work (wouldn't it overheat not driving on the highway if they didn't?). Don't think the radiator or water pump have been replaced, car only has 60k miles.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Elysium posted:

Temp was about 60, pretty sure the fans work (wouldn't it overheat not driving on the highway if they didn't?). Don't think the radiator or water pump have been replaced, car only has 60k miles.

your 15 to 21 year old car has 10 to 16 years worth of deferred maintenance

e: you also didn't answer my question about the undertray
e2: did you just fill the entire thing with antifreeze with no water?

Phone fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 10, 2020

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

um excuse me posted:

Miata's running again. Had to open it back up to check timing, find a fuel leak, and find a large oil leak

Found the oil leak.

Found the fuel leak:

Timing was fine, I had a weird sounding idle and I think I forgot a vacuum line on the last assembly.

Now there's only a small oil leak from the oil filter. Manageable, will probably have Mazda look at it while they do the alignment.

Just wanted to say congrats on getting the car back up and running 👍. Pretty rad stuff. Were your cam seals toast or did they actually back themselves out?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
They didn't feel great, seemed pretty brittle. I replaced both while I was in there. Drove it 6 miles on the highway today to get it to Mazda. The coolant temp gauge wasn't operating, there's some sort of exhaust leak, the oil leak is actually a coolant leak, and an engine light that I haven't read yet. A wheel or two need to be rebalanced as well. The list never shrinks it seems, but at least the engine is square.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Phone posted:

your 15 to 21 year old car has 10 to 16 years worth of deferred maintenance

e: you also didn't answer my question about the undertray
e2: did you just fill the entire thing with antifreeze with no water?
IDK I'd probably just see if an NC radiator cap does it. Already tried NA and NB.

Seriously just do a full TB/wp/radiator job. It's like $200 for all of it

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive

New car!

New car leaking day 1 by the front right tire (pretty sure it’s.. water)

https://youtu.be/_HwIj4AtFOc

https://youtu.be/T_VacvFbu-g

Any pointers?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
were you driving with the AC on?

e: amazing parking job

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Phone posted:

were you driving with the AC on?

e: amazing parking job

In fairness, it is a handicapped spot

:haw:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Thom ZombieForm posted:

New car!

New car leaking day 1 by the front right tire (pretty sure it’s.. water)

https://youtu.be/_HwIj4AtFOc

https://youtu.be/T_VacvFbu-g

Any pointers?
Looks like it's totalled. I'll give you $2500 cash?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Mazda wants $1000 for a new radiator and another $1000 to replace the oil cooler. So thread, who makes your favorite of each for an NA8? Should I just go with an aftermarket oil cooler kit? How easy is it to delete the factory cooler?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I replaced the radiator on my friends NB a real oem denso unit for about $80, was fairly easy.

My NA8 has a ~500 mishimoto unit and its extremely beefy and cool.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've heard great things by Mishimoto extending past Mazdas. Since I don't plan on turboing the car, their performance option (MMRAD-MIA-90) looks pretty appealing.

For the oil cooler, I'll start with a new gasket and get more drastic from there, since a new one is over $300.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

$2000 for that bullshit? Is the cooler dead or is the bigass o-ring on the back of it? I got the o-ring for like $12 (part number KL0114702A)and the radiator for $80 at o'reilly, nothing special. Getting the oil cooler off in the car is kindof a bitch just to get the coolant lines off of it, but afterwards it just spins off. Radiator was a piece of cake. Sadly heaters are no longer available, but you can find them on ebay (part number BPE8-14-700) but they're big money for what they are.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
get a plastic OE radiator

buy an ultrasonic cleaner or something for the oil warmer plate if you're having issues with it

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
Changing ball joints is the devil. I kid you not this is the rusult of roughly 8 hours in the garage today. Those videos that show people tapping their ball joints out with 3 swift hits of a 3lbs hammer are loving liars.

I bought a 3 lbs hammer and a pickle fork and I still can't get these bastards separated. So much for having my new coilovers on this weekend.

What's the go-to to prevent these things from being so difficult to remove in the future? Should I grease the bore of the ball joint to prevent coroding? I'm going to have to put these Tiens back on when I sell the car and I am not doing this fight twice.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Diametunim posted:

Changing ball joints is the devil. I kid you not this is the rusult of roughly 8 hours in the garage today. Those videos that show people tapping their ball joints out with 3 swift hits of a 3lbs hammer are loving liars.

I bought a 3 lbs hammer and a pickle fork and I still can't get these bastards separated. So much for having my new coilovers on this weekend.

What's the go-to to prevent these things from being so difficult to remove in the future? Should I grease the bore of the ball joint to prevent coroding? I'm going to have to put these Tiens back on when I sell the car and I am not doing this fight twice.

You could put a thin layer of anti-seize on them. To get the current ones out you should use a torch on the knuckle to expand the metal and break the grip. I've used air hammer pickle forks before as well.

If the balljoints are good you can leave those together and just disconnect the sway bar and pull the big long upper arm bolts out when replacing shocks. That's what I always do on Miatas.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
New hotness.

Also replaced the three coolant hoses going to/coming from it.

Still waiting on the seal for the oil heater. I should know better than to have thought AutoZone could deliver it on time.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Diametunim posted:

I wound up using a ball joint press on mine, there wasn't a hope in hell otherwise.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Things I'll always pay a mechanic to do for $500, Alex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Diametunim posted:

Mine is a 150K mile car, I did the first ball joint replacement on it last year and was able to get the ball joints out with a pickle fork and 3lb hammer. No sweat.