Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

If this is true, we (the US of goddamned A) are literally the worst country.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/1879190/us-germany-battle-for-virus-vaccine-surpremacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I personally can't wait until ICU beds are nonexistent, ventilators all are in use, and I have a full emergency department without room for other critical illnesses because this dumb loving country took the comedy option vote in 2016.

Lol it's the US government what difference does it make who's in office we'd be in this exact same situation either way

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Greek Orthodox here is saying that the POWAAA OF CHRIST will prevent praishioners from getting Boomer Remover.

Hey dickheads, that's not how it works. Your prayers and rituals dont stop viruses. loving hell sure believe and all that but dont blind yourself to the reality of disease here

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-14/church-religious-groups-say-coronavirus-cannot-infect-them/12055476

My first engineering mentor was a brilliant engineer, and also a very devout christian. He was a missionary pilot for several years in his earlier life, flying missionaries around South America. He tells a great story on this subject:

As he was watching a group load a plane with all their luggage and cargo, he could tell that it was becoming overloaded. He pointed it out and started removing the least necessary things. "Wait, just a minute Dave" says the head missionary. "Let's pray for a safe flight". He agrees, they stop and pray. And as soon as they said "Amen" he continued unloading the plane until it was safe. The head missionary was confused, and Dave explained that God gave us the laws of physics and the knowledge and judgment to work within them. You don't just get to pray for a miracle any time you want one.

Basically, we should treat knowledge as a gift from God, which includes medicine. Ignoring it shows a lack of faith, not an abundance of it.

Also like the joke about the guy in a flood. The sheriff shows up in a 4x4, "hey man, a flood's coming!" "No thanks, God will save me." The waters rise and he goes to his second floor. A crew comes by in a boat. "Hey man, get in, it's going to get worse". "No thanks, God will save me". The waters rise even more, and he climbs on to his roof. A helicopter arrives and lowers a rope. "Grab on, the waters are still rising!" "No thanks, God will save me!"

The man drowns, and standing before God he says "God, why didn't you save me?" And God says "I sent a car, a boat, and even a helicopter, what the gently caress else was I supposed to do?"

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I too, am working from home for the next few weeks. It sure makes doing phone interviews much easier. :smuggo:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

meatpimp posted:

If this is true, we (the US of goddamned A) are literally the worst country.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/1879190/us-germany-battle-for-virus-vaccine-surpremacy

This is loving unreal

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

rdb posted:

America, gently caress yeah: https://www.npr.org/sections/health...m_medium=social. To be fair its an opinion piece.
Slightly playing devil's advocate here, but what's the benefit of testing? We know it's here. The remedy is seems quarantine and rest, unless it's bad enough to require hospital care, in which case the cure is to...treat it like any other flu requiring hospitalization.

It's a bad flu, that spreads readily, but it's still just a flu. Testing doesn't change the number of hospital beds required, if you need a bed it's because of symptoms (respiratory) that could just as easily be from a non covid-19 flu, which is still around BTW.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I personally can't wait until ICU beds are nonexistent, ventilators all are in use, and I have a full emergency department without room for other critical illnesses because this dumb loving country took the comedy option vote in 2016.

I am not trying to seem cynical, but I think thats the best that could come out of this. Maybe people will wake up to the cycle of disinformation thats been infecting their minds. If you can’t make a point that elicits an immediate emotional response and only takes as long to convey as the emotional response lasts, people don’t hear it. That’s the damage that memes have done to society. If it doesn’t fit in a meme, its too much for most people.

In reality, the propaganda machine will just use it to further disbelief and mistrust in science. There simply isn’t enough time here for science to have worked.

Even if we tested 100% of symptomatic people, data is now showing that the test is not 100% accurate, it can give a false negative. Science is also starting to prove that asymptomatic people can spread it. So simply testing people with symptoms is missing some vectors. Trying to stop it is likely impossible. A vaccine would work but getting people to believe in vaccines?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Well, I will say, having the store open from 8a-8p really helped us out... even though we don't go in until 10. There's still a MIC there to receive trucks, but they're alone until we show up. I asked my boss about it, he said with how late the trucks are running and how long it's taking to get everyone out of the store at close, it makes no sense for us to go in at 8.

We actually faced/fronted/whatever you want to call it the department for the first time in 4 days. Since the shelves were so empty, I spent plenty of time on my regular aisle rotating product (something another department is suppose to do for us, but never does) and pulling out of dates, wound up with a shopping cart half full of expired crap that was shoved to the back during restocking. If it's been on the shelf long enough that it has a thick layer of dust, or has gone through at least one packaging revision (some had gone through multiple revisions), it's proooooooooobably out of date.

We're also limiting how many people can come into the store at a time. I saw people lining up at the doors at 5:30.... with clearly posted signs saying our hours are 8-8 for the time being. I went out the side door at one point about half an hour before open, and people were lined up all the way to the street from the south entrance (the street is on the north side). :stonkhat:

It was surreal walking out the front door and past everyone waiting in line. Several people in line thanked me. For what? Doing my job? I'll be a happy passenger on the overtime train until it derails - they've shut down bakery and deli completely so that the employees in those departments can help us out, meat counter is shut down so that their employees can focus on just keeping the self service coolers full... so the overtime train probably won't be as crazy next week. I'll have ~55 hours on this paycheck (for 5 days). I'm doing 6 days next week, but I don't expect them to be 10-12 hour days now that other departments are helping us.

I'm glad I don't work at a warehouse - the company has its own (unofficial) subreddit, and some warehouse employees were talking about the mandatory 6 day weeks, 15 hour days. Those are gonna be some amazing paychecks, but fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, 15 hours of nonstop labor?

I guess DOT has lifted a lot of restrictions too? One driver that showed up (company driver) said he'd been on shift for 20 hours already... and still had to drive almost 2 hours back to the warehouse. That's normally a gently caress you in the rear end violation if you get pulled over.

redgubbinz posted:

The fun part is allergy season is just getting started too, that'll be fun.

Yuuuuup. I've been sneezing nonstop for weeks, and sometimes have a runny nose. Coworkers are avoiding me like the plague skunky corona that we can't sell. :v:

Rhyno posted:

Looks like a fuckload of churches are still holding service today.

Mine is, but only one instead of the usual 2 services, no childcare or other ancillary services. All services after today will be online only until this passes (live Youtube stream available with chat), and they're also streaming today's as well.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 15, 2020

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Rhyno has really grown up. Selling the omelette MS6, getting a cool job, a house, a truck, married, and now a gun. It’s good to see goons prosper ( seriously though).

Church is cancelled for us with no indication as to when we will be back. That was a global charge to. I could see it going three weeks or so and then leaving it up to local atmosphere and leadership to determine when it’s best to return.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

ilkhan posted:

Slightly playing devil's advocate here, but what's the benefit of testing? We know it's here. The remedy is seems quarantine and rest, unless it's bad enough to require hospital care, in which case the cure is to...treat it like any other flu requiring hospitalization.

It's a bad flu, that spreads readily, but it's still just a flu. Testing doesn't change the number of hospital beds required, if you need a bed it's because of symptoms (respiratory) that could just as easily be from a non covid-19 flu, which is still around BTW.

The benefit of testing is to be able to track its spread, calculate how long immunity lasts, to simply know what we are fighting. To know when you need to self quarantine and when its any other flu. To know what the actual cause of death is.

If you get a bad part and you think its bad, you measure it. That measurement is a test. Without it your just guessing as to what the problem is.

What the administration has done is cover up the true extent of its spread in this country. Maybe its more contagious but less lethal than we thought. Now no one can prove it.

For the record I am more worried about the economic fallout of this situation than a few boomers dying or hospitals being overwhelmed.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

rdb posted:

For the record I am more worried about the economic fallout of this situation than a few boomers dying or hospitals being overwhelmed.

Yeah I've been thinking about that too....In Boston restaurants and bars are closing down, depending on how long this goes on and when people will be back to doing normal people things, some places that are closing down won't be able to re open again. There's gonna be a ripple effect.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah, anyone in the service industry is turbo hosed.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Essential oils to the rescue

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I first read laser fever and was intrigued.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I bet if you wrap one of them IT WORKS wraps around your head you'd be immune.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Rhyno posted:

Hey if I catch this poo poo we need to organize a gofundme to get me the money so I can get to Mitch McConnel and infect him.

Not if I beat you to it.

ilkhan posted:

Testing is the difference between quarantining some or all of the infectious people before they spend multiple days asymptomatic but infecting people. We can seriously reduce the exponential growth of the death-cold this way and maybe keep it from overloading ICUs. It's the difference between someone being sick and bored for 2 weeks vs them infecting ONE THOUSAND others. That's a real example, albeit an extreme one. Someone in SK refused to be tested and went to church and a buffet and literally infected a thousand people.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

rdb posted:

The benefit of testing is to be able to track its spread, calculate how long immunity lasts, to simply know what we are fighting. To know when you need to self quarantine and when its any other flu. To know what the actual cause of death is.

If you get a bad part and you think its bad, you measure it. That measurement is a test. Without it your just guessing as to what the problem is.

What the administration has done is cover up the true extent of its spread in this country. Maybe its more contagious but less lethal than we thought. Now no one can prove it.

If you have a flu and don't need a respirator you should self quarantine anyway, regardless of what type of flu it is. This is just the latest every other year "sky is falling" flu from China.

This isn't some bad manufacturing part where there a spec we can adjust to. Measuring doesn't change the answer. This thing is as virulent as it is, whether we measure that or not. It's as transmisible as it is regardless of if we measure. There's no magic pill we can administer to patients that are sick, it's just rest and fluids for most and a respirator for the few, regardless of which stain of flu you have.

And yeah, the economic damage this media induced panic is going to cause is far far far worse than the actual damage caused by the virus.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

ilkhan posted:

If you have a flu and don't need a respirator you should self quarantine anyway, regardless of what type of flu it is. This is just the latest every other year "sky is falling" flu from China.

This isn't some bad manufacturing part where there a spec we can adjust to. Measuring doesn't change the answer. This thing is as virulent as it is, whether we measure that or not. It's as transmisible as it is regardless of if we measure. There's no magic pill we can administer to patients that are sick, it's just rest and fluids for most and a respirator for the few, regardless of which stain of flu you have.

And yeah, the economic damage this media induced panic is going to cause is far far far worse than the actual damage caused by the virus.

The lack of testing took away our ability to learn, to understand. Thats the far bigger price.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

ilkhan posted:

On brand and consistent, as always.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ilkhan posted:

It's about flattening out the curve that's the whole point of social isolation and quarantining yourself. Obviously if there is more testing more people can know they are infected and isolate themselves, thus flattening the curve. It's gonna spread no matter what yes, but preventing it from happening all at once and overwhelming hospitals vs over time making it manageable is the issue.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

redgubbinz posted:

On brand and consistent, as always.

Just block him and move on. Any challenge will get the Fox-news-rhetoric-of-the-day.

1. It's nothing but a hoax
2. It's real, but "just a bad flu"
3. Why test? Sick people just need to self-quarantine (never mind you're contagious before symptomatic, it that some people don't have the option unless the gov assists)
4. It's a Chinese bio-weapon designed to crash the world economy/accidentally released
5. It's the Europeans fault, but not the UK
6. Nice if the administration's actions previously or currently are Trump's fault

Etc etc etc, there's nothing anyone can say that change die-hard supporter's minds.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

sharkytm posted:

Just block him and move on.
Etc etc etc, there's nothing anyone can say that change die-hard supporter's minds.

Don’t use reason or big words. Emotions, memes or dollar signs work better.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

It's been explained in this thread why it's important by an actual no-poo poo ER doctor, how brain poisoned do you have to be to ignore that?

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

sharkytm posted:

Just block him and move on. Any challenge will get the Fox-news-rhetoric-of-the-day.

Nah, it doesn't bother me. Whenever something important is happening I wait with bated breath for The Only Adult In The Room to come among us and share a more measured, researched and Correct point of view.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Trump tweeted about Benghazi today.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Pff, just hook the ventilator up to an air compressor splitter. Now you got multiple people on there. Need more pressure? They make turbochargers.
The emergency physician who had to handle the crushing influx of patients from the Las Vegas did almost exactly that. (Unfortunately, this type of setup doesn't work on the type of lung injury that COVID-19 causes, but 100% an enterprising guy could develop a tree that accounted for differences in lung compliance.)

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Lol it's the US government what difference does it make who's in office we'd be in this exact same situation either way
... you realize that our biodisaster response capacity was gutted by this administration, right? Maybe you realize that response was markedly delayed by disproportionate emphasis on the economic impact as opposed to the epidemiological risk? The "LOL BOTH SIDES ARE THE SAME" response is a few years out of date.

ilkhan posted:

Testing doesn't change the number of hospital beds required, if you need a bed it's because of symptoms (respiratory) that could just as easily be from a non covid-19 flu, which is still around BTW.
Testing can help determine the asymptomatic, mildly-symptomatic, or atypically-symptomatic subgroups who need to self-quarantine rather than maintain normal contact precautions. It's not "just the flu." Data suggests a higher level of precautions -- airborne rather than droplet -- may be necessary. Influenza also does not carry the same sequelae as COVID-19, nor complications in the same proportion. For example, influenza patients whose respiratory function improves don't typically develop a rapidly-progressive cardiomyopathy that leads to fulminant heart failure and cardiac arrest, which has been noted here.

Elviscat posted:

It's been explained in this thread why it's important by an actual no-poo poo ER doctor, how brain poisoned do you have to be to ignore that?
I am actually full of a lot of poo poo, but that's partly because we're already getting crushed at work and I haven't had time to eat my regular food, let alone my fruit.

In other, and more positive news, apparently there's some recent evidence that chloroquine (an antimalarial) shows some benefit. So maybe we'll have something else in our armament other than symptomatic care and possibly remdesivir.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

So if i read that last bit right, I'm going to start drinking gin and tonics till the whole thing passes.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

tetrapyloctomy posted:

The emergency physician who had to handle the crushing influx of patients from the Las Vegas did almost exactly that. (Unfortunately, this type of setup doesn't work on the type of lung injury that COVID-19 causes, but 100% an enterprising guy could develop a tree that accounted for differences in lung compliance.)

... you realize that our biodisaster response capacity was gutted by this administration, right? Maybe you realize that response was markedly delayed by disproportionate emphasis on the economic impact as opposed to the epidemiological risk? The "LOL BOTH SIDES ARE THE SAME" response is a few years out of date.

Testing can help determine the asymptomatic, mildly-symptomatic, or atypically-symptomatic subgroups who need to self-quarantine rather than maintain normal contact precautions. It's not "just the flu." Data suggests a higher level of precautions -- airborne rather than droplet -- may be necessary. Influenza also does not carry the same sequelae as COVID-19, nor complications in the same proportion. For example, influenza patients whose respiratory function improves don't typically develop a rapidly-progressive cardiomyopathy that leads to fulminant heart failure and cardiac arrest, which has been noted here.

I am actually full of a lot of poo poo, but that's partly because we're already getting crushed at work and I haven't had time to eat my regular food, let alone my fruit.

In other, and more positive news, apparently there's some recent evidence that chloroquine (an antimalarial) shows some benefit. So maybe we'll have something else in our armament other than symptomatic care and possibly remdesivir.

Serious question: are you seeing cases you suspect could be caused by covid19 that you are not being allowed/dont have the resources to test? Or is the “already getting crushed” just mass hysteria?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I've been in self quarantine for 2 days because I've got a wicked fever and get tired walking around the house. Are you saying that gin and tonics will help?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I realize that I don't trust the government to not gently caress up something like this, and i also realize this whole situation is not surprising at all to me considering the track record

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Testing can help determine the asymptomatic, mildly-symptomatic, or atypically-symptomatic subgroups who need to self-quarantine rather than maintain normal contact precautions. It's not "just the flu."

South Korean universal testing is turning up a shitload of asymptomatic carriers in the 20-29 year old range.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

rdb posted:

Serious question: are you seeing cases you suspect could be caused by covid19 that you are not being allowed/dont have the resources to test? Or is the “already getting crushed” just mass hysteria?
If you mean "doctors in general" by "you," then yes. If you mean "tetrapyloctomy" by "you," then ... probably.

The Door Frame posted:

I've been in self quarantine for 2 days because I've got a wicked fever and get tired walking around the house. Are you saying that gin and tonics will help?
Hey, in the early phase if you don't overdo it, it probably won't hurt. (Sadly, in order to get enough quinine in your system you'd have to overdo it.)

Seat Safety Switch posted:

South Korean universal testing is turning up a shitload of asymptomatic carriers in the 20-29 year old range.
Exactly. Here we have no idea who these folks are. Now, the poor sensitivity of the PCR -- 66% to 80% depending -- means we will still miss people, both symptomatic and asymptomatic, but it would still allow us a data-driven possibility in between "let the vast majority of cases run around continuing to infect people" and "literally quarantine everyone" if this thing truly is airborne and not droplet.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I went to costco yesterday. The shelves were barren.
There was no pork or chicken, no paper products or cleaning products of any kind except tide pods.

Luckily there was plenty of brisket, flap meat, and fish so I'm set for a while.

I mean I have like a month's worth of soups and chili and the freezer so I'm set for a while regardless but now I'm back to baseline after not going grocery shopping for like 2 months.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

We went to Costco Friday, Trader Joe's yesterday and then Publix today. Our big freezer is full as well as the fridge and pantry.

Luckily when we went to Costco there was plenty of meat so we stocked up on chicken and beef.

[e] going to our favorite restaurant tonight for the last hurrah :v:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

So... Plenty of food!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Applebees Appetizer posted:

[e] going to our favorite restaurant tonight for the last hurrah :v:
Really?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

sharkytm posted:

So... Plenty of food!

Until someone spreads a Facebook post saying that eating one Tide pod per day can destroy COVID-19.

... brb logging into facebook

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's a FB post circulating claiming gargling salt water kills the virus.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Ohio's governor just closed all bars and restaurants in the state, effective at 9:00 tonight. They can still remain open for carryout/delivery only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jesus