Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I can kind of see why they cast Stallone in the 90s movie because when he's wearing the helmet he is the spitting image of the comic (although you can tell that his boots have massive lifts in them.) Too bad that his acting sucks and the writing is bad. Also really weird that they made the Rico and Dredd clone brothers secret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Payndz posted:

Mega-City One may be a fascistic dystopia, but at least it made its disease testing kits free to all...

If Dredd says that he's gonna deliver medicine you better believe he's gonna deliver the hell out of that medicine:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I had the Killdozer toy as a kid. It rocked.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I feel like the Dredd mellow in part comes from them realizing the comic has legs so they needed to dial him back down from black and white tyrant to shades of grey do-gooder.

The other part is that slamming the Case Files really remove you from how much time actually passed in the world. The Democracy -> Necropolis period was like five years real time.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

muscles like this! posted:

I can kind of see why they cast Stallone in the 90s movie because when he's wearing the helmet he is the spitting image of the comic (although you can tell that his boots have massive lifts in them.) Too bad that his acting sucks and the writing is bad. Also really weird that they made the Rico and Dredd clone brothers secret.
It's kinda weird. The Stalone movie had perfect setting tone but a bad Dredd, whereas the Urban movie had a different setting tone but perfect Dredd.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The production design is really well done, especially Mean Machine (although slight quibble is that they have him missing his left arm which, you know, he shouldn't be.) Although a negative to the production design is that they're cowards who quickly get everyone out of the comic book outfits and instead have everyone dress in a generic looking uniform where nobody wears a helmet for the rest of the movie. And, again, the writing just sucks. They try to give Dredd a catchphrase and Rob Schneider's character is completely extraneous to anything that is happening. He exists to quip and for Dredd to make disgusted faces at.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

They try to give Dredd a catchphrase

er... Judge Dredd has a catch phrase. I don't recall the Stallone movie using anything other than "I am the law!" which Dredd had been throwing around since the 1970's.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Random Stranger posted:

er... Judge Dredd has a catch phrase. I don't recall the Stallone movie using anything other than "I am the law!" which Dredd had been throwing around since the 1970's.

It was "I knew you'd say that"
P weak.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The production design is really well done, especially Mean Machine (although slight quibble is that they have him missing his left arm which, you know, he shouldn't be.)

Why not? Dredd shot it off.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Because in the movie they haven't met before.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
For anyone who somehow doesn't have it already, Case Files Vol.5 is currently free digitally.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In case anyone wasn't aware, vol 5 is the return of Judge Death, Block War and the Apocalypse War.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

In case anyone wasn't aware, vol 5 is the return of Judge Death, Block War and the Apocalypse War.

How apt.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I’d say we’re more in Necropolis right now with the government as the Dark Judges.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

We could do with a bit more Bishop Desmond Snodgrass

Bertilak
Oct 31, 2010

I had a question about the reading order for Judge Dredd stories that I can't seem to find an answer to. Are the stories found in the Megazine independent from the stories in 2000AD? If not, what would be the best way to read things? Since the Megazine is monthly to 2000AD's weekly, should I read 4 issues of 200AD, then that month's Megazine? Thank for your assistance.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bertilak posted:

I had a question about the reading order for Judge Dredd stories that I can't seem to find an answer to. Are the stories found in the Megazine independent from the stories in 2000AD? If not, what would be the best way to read things? Since the Megazine is monthly to 2000AD's weekly, should I read 4 issues of 200AD, then that month's Megazine? Thank for your assistance.

Going from memory on how they collected, Megazine original stories are "in continuity" but without heavy overlap. I'm thinking of one arc where events in a Megazine story had consequences in a weekly story and these were separated by roughly six months. The "best" solution would be to complete an arc in one, then read the other to catch up to that point and go past it a ways. Don't worry too much about the fine details and just flip when you feel you're at a good point to.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Judgement Day was the first time a storyline ran in both the prog and the Meg simultaneously, and it wasn't overly well received because readers had to buy both, in the right order, or have missing or scrambled episodes. Later crossovers like Wilderlands and Doomsday split their story arcs so that Dredd's would appear in the main prog, and other characters' in the Meg.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Payndz posted:

Judgement Day was the first time a storyline ran in both the prog and the Meg simultaneously, and it wasn't overly well received because readers had to buy both, in the right order, or have missing or scrambled episodes. Later crossovers like Wilderlands and Doomsday split their story arcs so that Dredd's would appear in the main prog, and other characters' in the Meg.

Judgement Day happened because IPC thought they could get 2000AD readers to try six issues of JDM because most readers like Dredd and the Megazine is just more Dredd. The problem was that a lot of the hardcore Dredd fans had quit reading 2000AD because they weren't interested in the rest of the content. Worse, the first part of the story in the Megazine was part 3 - so they'd have to hunt for back issues to catch up - and the last part of the story was also in 2000 AD.

I also don't think it helped that the 2000AD sections were illustrated by Carlos Ezquerra while the Megazine sections had truly awful art by Dean Ormston.

Bertilak
Oct 31, 2010

Thank you all very much for the information.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Case Files 35 has been postponed to November.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

There's some Essential Judge Dredd collections out there. If I were to pick one, should I go for Apocalypse War or America?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

America is very short but also a brilliant summation of how hosed up Judge Dredd is.

Apocalypse War is a big epic story and also involves how hosed up Judge Dredd is but in a way that you cheer on.

America is legit great comics. Apocalypse war is entertaining comics.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

America, it is. I can always check the other one later.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

America was also about 25+ years ahead of its time, which is another great thing about Dredd.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I have complete case files 2-15 and I'm wondering if I should keep going. Part of my confusion is that I have the versions with cuts from the comics while there's the other version with neon colors. These are the same except for the cover, correct?

Also does anyone have any recommendations for a book on the history of Dredd? Is there anything out there that has collated commentary from the writers, artists, etc?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I have complete case files 2-15 and I'm wondering if I should keep going. Part of my confusion is that I have the versions with cuts from the comics while there's the other version with neon colors. These are the same except for the cover, correct?

IIRC, 15 is Necropolis so, no, you do not need to keep going. :v: You're entering the dark age of Dredd and a lot of lovely stories. So if you're not enjoying yourself, stop now.

However...

There are good stories coming up and you can get most of them in [url=https://www.humblebundle.com/books/judge-dredd-perps-punks-partners-2000ad-books]the current Humble Bundle[/quote]. America and The Pit are the the best two Dredd stories of the 90's and both are in the bundle.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Are the cross overs in those collections? I liked the Batman and Alien ones.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Thanks for the Humble Bundle recommendation. I've seen both movies and played some of the games, but it's probably about time I read some actual comics. I got the full package, hoping everything else is good too. I'm sure it's up thread somewhere, but for any other "start here" recommendations that follow this Bundle, I'm interested.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

YoursTruly posted:

Thanks for the Humble Bundle recommendation. I've seen both movies and played some of the games, but it's probably about time I read some actual comics. I got the full package, hoping everything else is good too. I'm sure it's up thread somewhere, but for any other "start here" recommendations that follow this Bundle, I'm interested.

America is often recommended as a great introduction to Dredd. You also get case files 1-5 in the bundle and while you can start at the beginning, the first volume isn't really what I'd call essential. Volume 2 has the first two epic Dredd stories, Judge Cal in particular is great. Origins is a good story, but despite the title it's a bad place to start. Not Dredd but in the bundle, Halo Jones and Zenith are must reads.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
I grew up reading Dredd in black and white, and the Complete Case Files seem to have a lot of the comics in color (the original poor-quality colors from the 1980s, at that). Really throws me off. Are there collections that are exclusively B&W?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The weirdest part of The Complete Case Files is how they don't have the comics about what Dredd was doing around Necropolis so him coming back and the story after about the kid he met comes across as pretty awkward.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That is a good one. That's "The Dead Man" by the way, it's in that humble bundle above! Also available for 9.99 digital on 2000AD's site. It is kooky that it's out of print, I think Tale of the Dead Man (at the start of Case Files 14 which also has the Necropolis epic) does a good job getting you up to speed if you missed it though. It is very cool for sure.

Dredd talk, love to see it! I gotta say, one of my fav hobbies is chiming in on questions about where/how to read Dredd. When you read Dredd you wanna spread the word.

Long story short, there are many great eras and flavors of Dredd, and John Wagner has been the main writer (or a key one) in all of them. You can't go wrong, even if you don't read all 40+ years of it as I attempt to.

On it getting a bit bad in the 90s for a bit, that is a bit I allowed myself to skip. The common take among the fans is the early Millar and Ennis stuff when they took over in 2000AD for a bit is just not good, but luckily it was only a few years. Even Ennis has said it wasn't good, Millar probably did too. I've read just a little bit of it, some of the Ennis stuff is still ok thanks to the legendary Carlos Ezquerra still illustrating it. And that early-to-mid 90s low point did still have Wagner doing some great stuff in the Megazine, which is in some of those collections in the Humble Bundle. Stuff like Mechanismo and Three Amigos for example.

For a shorthand, if you want to cut back a bit in the dodgy years, just read the John Wagner stuff. And the very very occasional Alan Grant or Patt Mills if they happened to do one if you want. It wasn't until around 2000 when Rebellion took over and other writers like Gordon Rennie were considered to come into their own that you'd want to read all the writers. And then a few years later with Ewing, Williams, Spurrier, etc. But John Wagner wrote I'd say 90% of the 2000AD Dredd output for decades, and he's the best ever.

Short tip: if you're in the 90s, skip any non-Wagner Dredd. Wagner Dredd is the key to happiness and life as we know it in the universe. And if you didn't know this funny bit of trivia, in the early days Wagner and Grant wrote so much of the stories in 2000AD, they used fake names for years. Stuff like T.B. Grover etc. So whatever name you see, it's good stuff in the 70s/80s, it's them or Pat Mills, and it's all fun times.

I concur that Dredd really gets going in Case Files #2, with those big epics like The Cursed Earth and The Day The Law Died. So much cool stuff in the 80s, I love those first two appearances of Judge Death (in Case Files 3 and 5). I really love the 80s decade of Dredd, though it has some slow spots here and there, but way more hits than misses for me. And you have compelling returning characters like PJ Maybe and Chopper for example.

Speaking of side-stories you need, Chopper - Song of the Surfer (and the previous Soul on Fire) are some of the best Dredd related stories ever. By Wagner and MacNeil, the America team, and around that time in the early 90s too. The highpoints of the painted art and more adult tone period there. I also really love Necropolis (case files 14), which is when Dredd went full color around 1990. Wagner and Ezquerra just delivering the goods so much. I dig Apocalypse War, it's classic fun and must see, but Necropolis is where my heart is.

Those Chopper stories are in this collection, well worth 9.99 digital, also with some extra stories you can ignore by later writers etc. https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/GRN387

For more specifics if you feel like skipping some 90s stuff. Case Files 16 is where the hand-off happens, with "The Devil You Know" and "Twilight's Last Gleaming", Wagner's last 2000AD Dredd for a bit and Garth's first. That's a cool story, part of the years long Democracy story they touch on. After that you could skip Case Files 17, 18, and 19 though there's some Wagner Megazine stories, and you could alternatively get the Mechanismo trilogy of tales from those in it's own collection, in that bundle etc.

Case Files 20 shows how tough it is to make these calls, since it's part of the low in 2000AD with Millar, but it has beloved Wagner Megazine short stories like Bury My Knee At Wounded Heart (Meg 2.46) and Giant (Meg 2.50 - Meg 2.52). If you find yourself with these, since time is even more precious than money, could just skip the Millar stuff and read the Wagner.

Case Files 21 is cool, it has another longform Wagner tale called Wilderlands. Then there are some ups and downs for a few, several writers etc, with some highs like The Pit mentioned above (in it's own collection in the humble bundle etc or in Case Files 24-25). CF 26 is another mix of good and bad. But I'd say Case Files 27 to present is all solid stuff worth reading. With oodles of John Wagner, you know you're in safe hands. He can do great humor, dark comedy, satire, neo-noir, fun crime stuff, genre stuff, human stuff that makes you think, short stories, long epics, he does it all.

I don't know how to answer this briefly. But, on the question of "do I keep going?", the answer is YES! Oh lord yes! Also yep, both styles of Case Files covers are the same contents. Even if you gotta skip some, or even if you find yourself skipping forward a decade, never give up on the glorious power of Wagner Dredd.

One more go at a quick summation: if Case Files 1 doesn't do it, read Case Files 2 it's miles better. If this era of the black-and-white over-the-top stylized retro (though glorious) comics doesn't grab you, read those two short Judge Death stories with The Killing Joke's Brian Bolland anyway. And then, if you're still not into 70s/80s Dredd, try the early 90s different tone painted art Dredd! America and Necropolis for example, America in it's own collection and Necropolis in Case Files 14.

Then, if you lose your way in the 90s, try skipping around like I elaborate on above. And if you then say hey, I'm a 2000s sort, I like a nice latte, I'm gonna drop it.... do not drop it!! Engage in some 2000s Rebellion era 2000AD, you could try say the year 2002 which you can find in Case Files 35. And later collections like Mandroid, Tour of Duty, Day of Chaos, Guatemala, etc. DROKK IT!!!

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Also does anyone have any recommendations for a book on the history of Dredd? Is there anything out there that has collated commentary from the writers, artists, etc?

More 2000AD in general, though touching on Dredd a good bit, there's a fun doc called Future Shock: The Story of 2000AD. And there's a book called Thrill Power Overload, originally in a shorter version via articles in the Judge Dredd Megazine. I read the Megazine version, that was cool. Plenty of commentary from the crew.

Oh yeah, on the crossovers - the Aliens and Predator ones are included in Case Files. Those are later Case Files, not in the bundle, CF 27 for Predator, CF 36 for Aliens. For Batman, you can get the first two stories digitally in this 4.99 collection (that first Bisley one is my fav)

https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/GRN635

If the humble bundle and then decades of Case Files etc isn't enough, get into Strontium Dog! That's the other big one by Wagner and Ezquerra, it's beloved by 2000AD fans. Mentioned a good bit in that show Spaced etc. It's a masterpiece, if you love Dredd, you're very likely gonna love this too. The first collection (S/D Agency Files 01) is 5 bucks at the moment: https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/graphic-novels/strontium-dog?edition=download

On other cool stuff in the bundle, you've got Insurrection, Low-Life (Mega-City Undercover), Simping Detective, all Dreddworld tales by the likes of Abnett, Rob Williams, and Spurrier. The Judge Death stuff is terrific such as Young Death, his origin story from the same Megazine America and those other classics were serialized in around 1990.

Kingdom and Brink are a couple more Dan Abnett series the fans love, in the bundle, I've been meaning to read those. The Judge Anderson Psi Files have good stuff, Alan Grant and some cool artists. I feel it has some ups and downs, I skipped some myself, but a lot of great ones. I heard Brass Sun is cool. Counterfeit Girl looks cool. Slaine is cool. Zombo (Al Ewing), Shakara, more fan favs. I've still gotta read Halo Jones and Zenith mentioned, those do sound cool.

One more for the road, not in the bundle: ABC Warriors - The Black Hole (Simon Bisley on art). It's one of the all time classics. Even if you don't read their earlier stuff, this was sort of a comeback, and it's their finest. It's the last bit in their first collection. It stars that cool looking robot you saw in that Judge Dredd movie, but way way heavier and cooler. War robots, existential crisis, mayhem, comic book perfection. https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/GRN509

Ok, one more bit, just to illustrate how much Judge Dredd (and Wagner, Ezquerra, MacNeil etc) rule. And just how beautiful and inspiring it all is. There's this new collected Judge Dredd book that just hit, Guatemala, with some other recent Dredd stories they did included like "Victims of" etc. This Victims story is another continuation/sequel to America, written and drawn by Wagner and MacNeil. How freakin' amazing is that? We're talking about one of their beloved works from 1990, and they're still making stuff as good or better all these decades later. And without any reboots or kersplosions or anything, just great storytellers telling awesome stories. Warms the heart. For me this book Guatemala honestly is just too good, and it's so under the radar here in the states, it's just crazy. ComicsJournal included Victims on it's top comics of 2020 at least. It's just crazy to me that these fav creators are so prolific and so great at it, and it's still just so underrated.

Also, for a bit of America minutia, the America collection has three separate stories. America, the sequel from a couple years later, and a third story made 16 years later. And the story I mentioned above is made 30 years later, 1990 to 2020. Dredd is set in real time (at least, a lot more so than other comics) and it's always cool to see the passage of time and stuff like that. And again, not to geek out too hard here, but I honestly can't believe it when I see a new Wagner/MacNeil Judge Dredd story running in 2000AD. It's pretty unheard of in comics, at least outside of manga from the 80s that keeps trucking like Ippo and Jojo. They weren't doing it in 1977 like Wagner though, plus he does it so well, I think John Wagner is the all time greatest writer in comics. At least, I'm happy the perfect writer for me happens to be the most prolific.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 2, 2021

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Now THAT is an effort post. Thanks!

I've been really enjoying Brian Bollands work- currently starting at case files 2 again- in the early stuff its just so much better than the other artists'.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Now THAT is an effort post. Thanks!

I've been really enjoying Brian Bollands work- currently starting at case files 2 again- in the early stuff its just so much better than the other artists'.
You can see a lot of 2000AD artists doing their development in public, especially with Dredd; Bolland's very early strips already had his incredible linework in place, but he wasn't quite there with his dynamism and character poses, and there's one closeup of Dredd (can't remember the story) where it looks as if his helmet's somehow smaller than his head because the perspective's off. (In fairness, Dredd's helmet is really hard to draw consistently, and every single artist gives it a different shape and proportions.) But by the time he got to Judge Death Lives his art was basically flawless, and the final part of Block Mania was his definitive Dredd - it's an absolutely amazing piece of work, easily on a par with anything he did later, like Killing Joke.

And then he never drew another Dredd story again, because that level of artwork required so much time and effort for relatively meagre pay that he went off to work for the Americans instead. :smith: (And he was seriously hosed off with the endless reprinting and licensing of his work without a single penny coming back to him, culminating in his page for the Thargshead Revisited prog 500 anniversary spoof... that wasn't printed because it was so critical of the comic's management and practices. Similarly, Mike McMahon's original Thargshead page, attacking other 2000AD artists who he considered to be ripping off his artwork *coughBrettEwins* got replaced by a less overt but equally sarcastic version.)

A good book about the development of 2000AD (and Dredd) is Pat Mills' Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave! Mills was the co-creator and first editor of 2000AD, and played a massive if understated role in Dredd's early development. He's also a man who is utterly unsparing in his criticism of anyone he considered to be working against the comic (ie, almost all IPC's management) or lacking in talent (including some of the later editors).

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Just to geek out on Dredd again, I just read the latest big story in 2000AD. So good! Now That's What I Call Justice, a 6 prog (36 page) new JD tale by John Wagner and John Higgins.

Once again, just the coolest thing. This writer/artist team did stuff like Letter from a Democrat 35 years ago. And this new story has continuity with that, as well as almost a grim greatest hits kind of thing with the framing narrative. Kind of like I was blown away above by the Wagner/MacNeil stuff, this is just way too cool. Plus, it's just really good in it's own right. Masterfully juggling a few different threads, great dark humor as well as gravitas and grim stuff, just a joy to read.

And some fun minutia, the Complete Case Files say what year the stories are set in on the spine of the book. 2138 etc. So when a Dredd tale like this new one drops a date, you could pick that book up from your shelf and see what they're referring to. Not that Judge Dredd relies on heavy continuity to be enjoyed, but it just adds this level of authenticity and impresses the hell out of me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN7USYClEoE

Here's a bit of Wagner talking about that and the next Judge Dredd story coming up.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Bit of a thread necro, but I'm trying to remember a Judge Dredd story that I read ages ago. I thought it was Apocalypse War, but I've been skimming through a copy of the TPB online and I'm not seeing the bits I remember, especially because a lot of it was in black and white and this is all in color.

It was some sort of battle going on throughout the city, with Judge Dredd in charge of a bunch of judges fighting...some enemy. They were riding their bikes through the city and using these weird old rifle things with a bulbous nozzle-thing at the end that shot some sort of 80s sci-fi blast. I remember Dredd dug them out of storage or something, and he said they might explode when they're fired. Which of course never happened to Dredd, but I remember a group of other judges blew themselves up (while yelling "We're gone!") and also another judge was driving up a cliff or a large building with Dredd and couldn't stop in time and pitched over the edge (also while yelling "I'm gone!"). And I think Mega City One fired a bunch of nukes at the bad guys but the bad guys shifted them into another dimension and they blew up a planet full of hippies?

Any of that ring any bells to anyone? I got randomly linked to the Apocalypse War and I thought "oh cool, I kinda want to re-read that" and then I got that weird anti deja vu where something you thought was familiar actually isn't.

e: oh, it WAS Apocalypse War, I finally got to a few of the pages I was remembering. Did this get redone? I don't remember it all being in color!

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 4, 2021

JoJosSiwaAdventure
Nov 3, 2021

by Pragmatica
i've finally started reading the books i've gotten from the few Dredd/2000AD humble bundles over the last few years recently after picking up a random Megazine issue a while back (was the June issue, my newsagent here seems to be a few months behind because of international shipping and stuff; and boy was that Devlin Waugh strip opening on the possessed dildo not at all what i was expecting lmao) and it's been really neat stuff. a couple of stories in a couple of the more general "here's a bunch of strips around a particular theme" collections have been a bit naff but for the most part i'm really enjoying what i'm reading

i think my favourite story so far has probably been Meat, which was in the 2000ad 40th anniversary collection. like, America was everything good that everyone says about it, but as a single part story Meat was just a real concise view into this whole world

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Phenotype posted:

e: oh, it WAS Apocalypse War, I finally got to a few of the pages I was remembering. Did this get redone? I don't remember it all being in color!
Apocalypse War originally had the opening spread of each episode in colour, the rest in B&W. At a certain point even Ezquerra couldn't keep up with the workload, so there was a one-week break with a reprint of a really old story, and when AW came back it was all B&W. Any full-colour version was probably done for the Eagle Comics US reprints.

Weirdly, the Mega Collection hardback from a few years ago was all B&W even on the episodes that had colour, and in some cases you can tell they used colour plates and stripped out the CMY separations to reduce it to lineart only. It's a bizarre choice, because if you have colour available and it was there originally, why not use it in your supposed definitive edition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoJosSiwaAdventure
Nov 3, 2021

by Pragmatica
Is this just the 2000ad thread now?

The future shock in this week's prog was pretty dece. It feels real easy to roll your eyes at "oh, it's an Ender's Game" to start but going in on that combined with the drudgery of modern work like "oh, gotta pop out for a smoke break between sessions of killing these foreigners" feels like a good bit of commentary on drone warfare, before we get to the nice end twist that energy beings would be able to just follow whatever energy you're using to remotely control your killbots back and fry your brain

JoJosSiwaAdventure fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Nov 11, 2021