Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

But there's so much sunk cost in Blair, it must be the smart money to keep going with him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Eat poo poo Roosters

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Lol gently caress off roosters

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Onya Penriff.

Suck a gently caress Roosters.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

bowmore posted:

Eat poo poo Roosters

iajanus posted:

Lol gently caress off roosters

garycoleisgod posted:

Suck a gently caress Roosters.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

As long as the tigers win tomorrow I'm fine with ending the season after this week

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Looks like the Warriors are going to be based out of the Gold Coast and the comp will continue for now. Press conference in 45 minutes or so.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Smorgasbord posted:

Looks like the Warriors are going to be based out of the Gold Coast and the comp will continue for now. Press conference in 45 minutes or so.

Well that's the season gone for them as well.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Looks like the Gold coast is guaranteed to see at least one home win this year

iajanus fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 15, 2020

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
So basically we'll keep poo poo going as far as possible to make money and not go broke, until a player goes positive in which case we are probably hosed. PS Government give us money for our jobs.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/he...ng-in-australia

quote:

Warriors CEO Cameron George says the side are on the verge of pulling out of the NRL.

The Warriors were looking to stay in Australia for one further week at this stage, after crossing the Tasman to play Newcastle Knights.

Originally the Warriors were looking at staying in Australia, so they could remain in the competition by avoiding two-week Government travel self isolation restrictions.

George has returned to New Zealand, telling Stuff on arrival the Warriors had agreed to give it a week, but then all of the players may come back.

This really sucks for the players. Several of them have young families- RTS's partner gave birth late last year and Hiku is expecting a child in the next few weeks. Sorting out the logistics for basing the squad on the Gold Coast is one thing, but they also need to think about how their families are supposed to cope without them for the foreseeable future.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Ugh, close game but Storm are putting their foot down now. :(

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Yeah that's peak Tigers.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

The most Tigers way to start the year

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I'm very angry at how the Tigers trainers let Taylor stay on for a minute before his HIA. The guy was completely out after getting his bell rung. Garbage that he was allowed to play on.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Thompson. Sadface.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

If Thompson doesn't get hooked after this game in assuming he's got blackmail material on the coach.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Cruel hope at 14 all.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Lomax why didn’t you kick it dead lol

go Tigers!!

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I'm wondering if the video refs get the 4k feed

And lol the finger on the ball being the decisive thing is awesome

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
The Dragons in the last ten minutes have played like the Tigers in the first ten minutes.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
The Dragons murdered two tries, and Grub it seems was in fine form.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Every time the dragons had a chance to score they sabotaged themselves. All of their points were from Thompson tigers errors. Good to see we remembered how to score.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The Dragons are normally good this time of year, doesn’t bode well for them

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

is this the only major sport that's still playing? kind of crazy! I guess y'all are the canary in the coronavirus mine

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

oystertoadfish posted:

is this the only major sport that's still playing? kind of crazy! I guess y'all are the canary in the coronavirus mine

There isan article in the paper that RL is about to do a deal with ESPN globally to show all matches, mainly because ESPN has a huge gap in programming now.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Lol if the plague is the thing that truly makes league a global game

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

MiniSune posted:

There isan article in the paper that RL is about to do a deal with ESPN globally to show all matches, mainly because ESPN has a huge gap in programming now.

I made a suggestion along those lines yesterday on a facebook group, if they can somehow hold this season together this could end up being a massive boon for the game.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Tipping results for round 1!

I was silly and changed to the Dragons after hearing Brooks was out

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Eh broncos cows and saints tigers were toss of a coin games. Panthers beating roosters was an upset.

My saints mate texted: Man, that was a loving awful game to watch. I've come around to abandoning the season.

All is well.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

iajanus posted:

Lol if the plague is the thing that truly makes league a global game

We live in a world where there is a run on toilet paper. Anything is possible.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
Woo, #1! Better call it here. You know, for safety, or whatever.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

I'm proud to be the Warriors of the tipping comp.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
I just really wanted to see the Rabbitohs gently caress the Sharks up.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Antitonic posted:

Woo, #1! Better call it here. You know, for safety, or whatever.

Oh the delicious irony that I am sitting 9th.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
What in the gently caress?

quote:

The NRL is planning a radical solution of allowing the Warriors to loan players from rival clubs in a bid to ensure eight matches are played every weekend.

While the Warriors have committed to staying in Australia to play the Raiders on the Gold Coast on Saturday [they have not given any long-term reassurances 

The Daily Telegraph has learnt one of the drastic measures to keep the competition going includes forming a makeshift Warriors side made up of potential discards and veteran players at other clubs. It shows how desperate the game is to fulfil his broadcast commitments.

The team could potentially be mixed with those current Warriors who wish to stay in Australia and play out the rest of the season and others who cannot get a crack with their current side. Calls to rival clubs and player managers have begun. While the plan is yet to be finalised, the Warriors would naturally be given large salary cap dispensations.

A host of established first-graders featured in the respective state-based reserve grade competitions last weekend. The likes of Bryson Goodwin, Euan Aitken, Billy Magoulias, Jayson Bukuya, Tautau Moga, Daniel Alvaro, and Mason Lino could easily feature. They could also consider calling up players without NRL contracts including Michael Lichaa, Kyle Turner, Josh Hoffman, Ata Hingano, Lloyd Perrett and Patrick Kaufisi.

The team could opt for a number of budding first grade stars in a bid to expose them to the top grade such as Adam Clune, Jayden Sullivan, Tex Hoy or Stefano Utoikamanu. NRL boss Todd Greenberg said they could not force any player to remain in Australia. He will again meet with Warriors players and officials following their match against the Raiders.

They have given us an undertaking that they will get through round two and then my discussion with them is we will sit down with the players and management and assess that,” Greenberg said. “It’s possible for us to continue the competition if the Warriors want to go home. We want all 16 clubs being part of the competition. That step is a scenario and we will only get to after this weekend. “(If the Warriors go home) we will be playing with 15 clubs not 16. “We’re not putting pressure on people. We are trying to look at it in the context of the whole competition.”

The Warriors have based themselves in Kingscliff this week with travel restrictions keeping them in Australia if they want to play on. They must self-isolate for 14 days as soon as they return to Auckland, ending any chance of matches being played for at least two weeks.

Outside backs Pat Herbert and Peta Hiku have already returned home giving Warriors coach Stephen Kearney 24 players to pick from ahead of a match against last season’s grand finalists. Taane Milne would have come into calculations to replace either Herbert or Hiku but his season is over after he ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament in the Canterbury Cup last week.

Having Pet and Pat go home has put a bit of pressure on from that sense but we’re talking with the NRL at the moment,” Kearney said. “We’ve got enough guys here at the moment to cope with that. “I’m picking that things will resolve itself over the next little bit.”

POSSIBLE MAKE-SHIFT TEAM Corey Allan, George Jennings, Euan Aitken, Tautau Moga, Bryson Goodwin, Jake Clifford, Sam Williams, Daniel Alvaro, Harry Grant, Sauaso Sue, Chris McQueen, Matt Eisenhuth, Billy Magoulias. Interchange: Mason Lino, David Gower, Stefano Utoikamanu, Jayson Bukuya

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Even for the NRL that is batshit ridiculous

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

It's crazy, but it's one way to at least keep the Warriors playing rather than have them drop out and miss out on a game a week. Right now we've got 24 healthy players in Australia. If we want to bring in reinforcements (or bring back Hiku and Herbert), they need to self isolate for 14 days in Australia before they can join the squad. Worse still, anyone that wants to return to NZ (which is more than a few) needs to self isolate for 14 days in NZ, spend whatever time they can with their family, then if they want to return to the playing squad they need to stand down for 14 days in Australia. Our reserve grade and junior squads are hosed because the Australian teams won't be coming here and most of those guys have day jobs and/or studies which means basing themselves in Australia like the first grade squad won't work.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
At least the Warriors Barbarians would make a good excuse for a new limited edition jersey!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

BuckyDoneGun posted:

At least the Warriors Barbarians would make a good excuse for a new limited edition jersey!

They were running dangerously low on Jersey designs this year