Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

Season 3: The Day The Earth Stood Still
Season 4: Time Trax
Season 5: Battlestar Galactica (rebooted version)
Season 6: Battlestar Galactica (1970s disco version)
Season 7: Battlestar Galactica (re-rebooted version)
Season 8: The Beast of Yucca Flats

I would give my left nut for a Time Trax season/episode. loving loved that show as a kid. And I got the complete series on DVD and a lot of it still holds up. It's 95% '90s camp, but still.

Are Dale Midkiff and Elizabeth Alexander still acting? That would be an amazing cameo.

Still waiting for Micheal Dorn and Christopher Judge to cameo as Bortus's fathers. THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN.

"These are the journals of Darien Lambert, Captain, Fugitive Retrieval Section: AD 2193."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

One Nut Wonder posted:

Still waiting for Micheal Dorn and Christopher Judge to cameo as Bortus's fathers. THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN.

Indeed it does.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It's been ages since the announcement that there's a third series of the show and I can't believe we still don't have an actual airdate, or even an approximation of one.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
My phone told me that production of this show is being shut down due to the virus. So it will probably be even longer until it comes out.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

One Nut Wonder posted:

marina sirtis as a lwaxana-like aristocratic busybody with mind powers

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

She was already on the show but it'd be nice to see her again in that role (schoolteacher on the ship)

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Snow Cone Capone posted:

She was already on the show but it'd be nice to see her again in that role (schoolteacher on the ship)

do you know how many trek actors played more than one role?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Jazerus posted:

do you know how many trek actors played more than one role?

A lot? It was extremely rarely a main cast member and generally didn't happen on back-to-back seasons.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Snow Cone Capone posted:

A lot? It was extremely rarely a main cast member and generally didn't happen on back-to-back seasons.

I mean, Jeffery Combs was both Brunt and Weyoun(and a bunch of other aliens). Though I don't think they ever were in the same episode.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Kurieg posted:

I mean, Jeffery Combs was both Brunt and Weyoun(and a bunch of other aliens). Though I don't think they ever were in the same episode.

There was at least one episode with both Brunt and Weyoun. The opening credits were interesting.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Dr Who is that one where r2d2 is evil and can talk but he turns the switch from evil to good with a magic screwdriver

It's like Rick and Morty except it's cheesy low-budget live action and not very funny

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

JG Hertzler was Lars and Martok in one episode together too.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Was that the season finale of Avenue 5 or is there more?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Small White Dragon posted:

Was that the season finale of Avenue 5 or is there more?

Looks like it's a 9 episode season, so they're done. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avenue_5

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Looks like it's a 9 episode season, so they're done. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avenue_5

Eh, the count of episodes on that page has been updated weekly, so I don't it a trustworthy source on the topic.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its not information that is up for debate. The season is definitely over.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Small White Dragon posted:

Eh, the count of episodes on that page has been updated weekly, so I don't it a trustworthy source on the topic.

HBOs website says that episode 9 is the season finale. The show is done until they rebuild the set and film the next season.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

That's a shame, it was starting to get pretty fun by the end there.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/03/go-behind-the-scenes-of-the-orville-as-series-embarks-on-a-new-season/

Did we have an estimated airdate? I guess production is still ongoing, and (probably) now suspended.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
thank god they mentioned the interracial kiss and thank god they didnt mention what a toilet the overall episode was

TOS was always so weird because all of the episodes that tackled contemporary issues were just loving bizarre, like the race issue randomly stating the two half-colors had been chasing each other for fifty thousand years or how one of them just controls the ship with his mind

dont get me started on turnabout intruder

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Powered Descent posted:

Season 3: The Day The Earth Stood Still
Season 4: Time Trax
Season 5: Battlestar Galactica (rebooted version)
Season 6: Battlestar Galactica (1970s disco version)
Season 7: Battlestar Galactica (re-rebooted version)
Season 8: The Beast of Yucca Flats

The Motion Picture: Night of the Lepus

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

thank god they mentioned the interracial kiss and thank god they didnt mention what a toilet the overall episode was

TOS was always so weird because all of the episodes that tackled contemporary issues were just loving bizarre, like the race issue randomly stating the two half-colors had been chasing each other for fifty thousand years or how one of them just controls the ship with his mind

dont get me started on turnabout intruder

That actually grates on me a lot less than technobullshit dialogue like "captain, he's flooding the upper subspace matrix of the computer core with an inverse tachyon flux" "that means... he's got control of the computer!!"

Like, okay, he's from a more advanced place, he's doing it somehow, just leave it at that.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm on S2E12 and earnestly hoping that Bortus will finally break up with Klyden.

Oh also this episode had Ted Dansen, Tony Todd, F. Murray Abraham and Marina Sirtis. Kinda blown away!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

One Nut Wonder posted:

:gowron:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm on S2E12 and earnestly hoping that Bortus will finally break up with Klyden.

Oh also this episode had Ted Dansen, Tony Todd, F. Murray Abraham and Marina Sirtis. Kinda blown away!

Klyden is a garbage partner and Bortus deserves to be with someone better.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

My prediction is Klyden transitions to her birth gender, and then her dads show up.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

8one6 posted:

Klyden is a garbage partner and Bortus deserves to be with someone better.

Maybe Klyden is the only partner Bortus has had who loves latchcomb as much as he does.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Klyden is depressed and also his culture has repressed a lot of his feelings and given him a toxic outlet. He's not in the union and exposed to other cultures as much. All he has is his entire life experience telling him what to blame for his feelings.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Klyden is depressed and also his culture has repressed a lot of his feelings and given him a toxic outlet. He's not in the union and exposed to other cultures as much. All he has is his entire life experience telling him what to blame for his feelings.

The Orville has very complex characters, without being overly hamfisted about it the way most TV is

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

He's also lonely. There are no other Moclans on the ship other than he, Bortus and Topa. and Moclan culture and values are different enough from the values of the rest of the Union that he's not comfortable spending time with non-Moclans. So, when Bortus isn't around, he spends most of his time in their quarters taking care of Topa.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That scene where he's like "Computer, what would a human do or eat, theoretically, if they were sad?" is pretty cute but also pretty sad if you think about it

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

These are all good and valid points, but there's no way in hell Klyden changes his mind and starts presenting female. He's far beyond that point.

If anything, it'll be Topa who decides to present female, and that's gonna be Klyden's path to personal growth.

I'd also love to see the Moclan who fell in love with Talla show up again, he got such a raw deal :(

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Epicurius posted:

He's also lonely. There are no other Moclans on the ship other than he, Bortus and Topa. and Moclan culture and values are different enough from the values of the rest of the Union that he's not comfortable spending time with non-Moclans. So, when Bortus isn't around, he spends most of his time in their quarters taking care of Topa.

I feel like he represents the immigrant housewife who is home all the time, only interacts with their husband and often doesn't speak the language of the people around them.
It's an archetype you don't really see on TV a lot.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Taear posted:

I feel like he represents the immigrant housewife who is home all the time, only interacts with their husband and often doesn't speak the language of the people around them.
It's an archetype you don't really see on TV a lot.

Agreed, but Bortus addresses this head-on in one of the episodes - it's understandable that Klyden has a lot of culture shock, but he's been presented with endless opportunities to learn and integrate with the crew and has denied or rebuffed them all.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I find Bortus to be interesting because he clearly is very liberal/non-traditional for his culture.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

He kinda fits into the Worf role on the surface in terms of "alien with vastly different culture serves aboard a ship full of humans and aliens with human-like culture, how does he adapt?" but his reactions and decisions really drive home his effort to adapt to the people around him and fit in, without losing his sense of being a Moclan. It's a pretty stark contrast to Klyden, which I think helps build both their characters well.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Snow Cone Capone posted:

He kinda fits into the Worf role on the surface in terms of "alien with vastly different culture serves aboard a ship full of humans and aliens with human-like culture, how does he adapt?" but his reactions and decisions really drive home his effort to adapt to the people around him and fit in, without losing his sense of being a Moclan. It's a pretty stark contrast to Klyden, which I think helps build both their characters well.

To be honest, I feel like Bortus is more of a Vulcan than a Klingon.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah I should clarify, the similarities between Worf and Bortus end there. Bortus and the Moclans are their own creation and are much stronger for it, rather than being funny rehashes of Klingons or Vulcans.

Worf would never grow a mustache to look good, and Bortus would never protest that he is not a merry man.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Bortus and Worf are opposites. Bortus has spent his whole live among Moclans and he's trying to reconcile being Moclan while also kind of wanting things to change. Worf is a Klingon weeaboo who only knows Klingon culture from learning about it. He thinks he knows what being a Klingon is all about but real Klingons always tell him to gently caress off and chill out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Worf would never grow a mustache to look good

Maybe not because a male human encouraged it, but worf has plenty of hair-based grooming for appearance in his character

I agree that he wouldn't grow something that other cultures find appealing that he didn't naturally have, like a widow's peak or something.

Neither would a Vulcan, though.