Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

cheque_some posted:

post the recipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Maybe a positive thing that will come out of all of this is some actual useful food donations for pantries

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

lancemantis posted:

Maybe a positive thing that will come out of all of this is some actual useful food donations for pantries

food banks are having a really hard time right now because theres a massive drop in volunteers

For a long time they've been focused on moving to fresh food but now with no one to deliver the food they're switching to long-term stable foods

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

rotor posted:

food banks are having a really hard time right now because theres a massive drop in volunteers

For a long time they've been focused on moving to fresh food but now with no one to deliver the food they're switching to long-term stable foods

king county is running out of blood. nobody wants to come in and donate.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

king county is running out of blood. nobody wants to come in and donate.
If you have any contrarians on your social media this is a good time to tell them to donate blood (or components)

I think it's weird cause blood centers are like the cleanest place I know and you're not allowed to be there if you're sick anyway.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ShadowHawk posted:

If you have any contrarians on your social media this is a good time to tell them to donate blood (or components)

I think it's weird cause blood centers are like the cleanest place I know and you're not allowed to be there if you're sick anyway.

its also not weird because everyones on edge and doesnt want to go out and do unnecessary things right now

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this is loving the entire world

and not in the sexy way

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

echinopsis posted:

this is loving the entire world

and not in the sexy way

I keep telling everyone who is saying "It isn't just the US, everywhere in the world is doing badly" that, in fact, China and South Korea are doing very well

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Stereotype posted:

I keep telling everyone who is saying "It isn't just the US, everywhere in the world is doing badly" that, in fact, China and South Korea are doing very well

cant speak for south corea but china isnt really "doing well" i dont think. i mean, maybe compared to the world of poo poo the us is starting to find itself in, but tens of millions of people are still on lockdown, everywhere else is heavily restricted, and the economy is clearly biting the big one here. walked down a street yesterday that used to have about i guess 12 or so restaurants that were always pretty busy. 8 were closed, boarded up, for rent signs in the window. 2 more were closed but looked like maybe they could reopen someday? and two were open with no customers. half our suppliers are either stuff not back yet or operating at 50% capacity. retail sales of our products are down over 50-70% yoy in east/southeast asia. i mean we make essentially luxury goods but its not a good sign.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Everyone in America is saying "drat that exam was impossible!! Good thing I didn't waste any time studying" unironically about a pandemic and it is making me so mad

Also APS closed to all groups who aren't working on either mail-in samples, beamline instrumentation, or COVID-19 related experiments

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

fart simpson posted:

cant speak for south corea but china isnt really "doing well" i dont think. i mean, maybe compared to the world of poo poo the us is starting to find itself in, but tens of millions of people are still on lockdown, everywhere else is heavily restricted, and the economy is clearly biting the big one here. walked down a street yesterday that used to have about i guess 12 or so restaurants that were always pretty busy. 8 were closed, boarded up, for rent signs in the window. 2 more were closed but looked like maybe they could reopen someday? and two were open with no customers. half our suppliers are either stuff not back yet or operating at 50% capacity. retail sales of our products are down over 50-70% yoy in east/southeast asia. i mean we make essentially luxury goods but its not a good sign.

Yeah but you guys are already turning the corner and have way fewer infections and comparatively not that many deaths. That exact thing is going to happen in America too, except we are also going to get 2M dead people

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
lomarf if you believe any official news from china

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Fatal Error posted:

agreed except the us

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

first LOTR read through

is there any other kind

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Fatal Error posted:

i mean you don't have to believe it to get the basic idea here. theyre arent covering up uncontrolled viral pneumonia outbreaks and mass graves here in shenzhen. i'd have noticed it somehow. i promise i'll break the news here in this thread if something like that happens. and i personally know a half dozen or so people currently in various parts of mega quarantined hubei province. at this point any coverups are in the margins, not the general idea.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

the Spanish flu killed millions.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

the Spanish flu killed millions.

yes, it did

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i work in a gossipy office with 950 employees, my girlfriend works in another company with a hundred or so, with all these people living scattered throughout the city each with their own families and friends etc. i really don't believe it would be possible to cover up a wuhan or northern italy level outbreak here without at least rumors of it that i'd be somewhat aware of

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
my boss wants to have daily online standups at 08:15. this is not what i wanted from wfh

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

im the two million waiters in the united states earning $2/hr with no reasonable expectation of tips anymore, lol.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

china has this authoritarian angle that we just don’t

also imagine if : this continues to mutate so that catching this is like catching a cold in that you only get immunity to that strain but can get it again, the implication being that from now on it’s just like influenza but easier to catch and just circulates the globe over and over and perhaps being old is just a thing of the past

time will tell but something wise I read made the claim that if we’re over precautions we won’t know* but if we aren’t precautious enough it will be abundantly clear

*china and korea being very on the precautious end of the scale

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

:shepicide:

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

PIZZA.BAT posted:

who's voting this thread one :confused:

I'm guessing the virus is?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

china has this authoritarian angle that we just don’t

also imagine if : this continues to mutate so that catching this is like catching a cold in that you only get immunity to that strain but can get it again, the implication being that from now on it’s just like influenza but easier to catch and just circulates the globe over and over and perhaps being old is just a thing of the past

time will tell but something wise I read made the claim that if we’re over precautions we won’t know* but if we aren’t precautious enough it will be abundantly clear

*china and korea being very on the precautious end of the scale

i read on twitter today that most other coronaviruses only give you immunity for a couple months once you recover from them? lol if true.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

the uk's plan seems to be basically opening its arms to embrace the virus, just getting it over with as fast as possible????

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Doom Mathematic posted:

I'm guessing the virus is?

drat. fast mutation. respect

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
there's a handful of new cases here and most of them were people who made the spectacularly brilliant decision to go skiing in Japan and Yurope somewhere.

I'm sure it will come as a huge shock that two of them live on The Peak, home to some of the most expensive real estate in the universe

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

fart simpson posted:

the uk's plan seems to be basically opening its arms to embrace the virus, just getting it over with as fast as possible????

they're betting on everyone getting the virus, basically. they want to infect those least likely to die, and eventually enough will have it to develop herd immunity. they're about to isolate all old people so they hopefully don't die as much. that's their risky plan

the us plan at this point seems to be basically to kill as many people as possible, but pretend it's not as bad by not testing anyone so the numbers look better

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

there's a handful of new cases here and most of them were people who made the spectacularly brilliant decision to go skiing in Japan and Yurope somewhere.

i can't find the breakdown any more, but something like 60% of norway's cases in the first couple weeks were people coming home from skiing in austria

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
there's also an incredibly cynical angle, that due to the huge cost to the health system that the elderly are.. perhaps if they died.. there'd be a few more dollars to go around

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

fart simpson posted:

i haven't heard the uk plan, but sweden is also taking a lot slower an approach, and i can't say i can argue with the logic. notably not closing schools as the loss of personnel in e.g. health care and elder care would risk destabilizing things for the people at most risk, while kids in themselves are low-risk. also a bit more dubious bits like not banning gatherings of less than 500 people, not closing e.g. restaurants and bars, and so on, as the projection is that the outbreak will either way last long enough that they don't expect it to be possible to maintain a hard lockdown for the duration.

in the end the response is designed by a large number of experts on the subject matter, and i'm a dumb computer toucher, so i have no idea how much sense it makes. i can however see that it is true that there is no way the swedish government can maintain a police state full lockdown for 4 months.

e: sweden does have two big advantages working for it though: very sparsely populated, and we send all our elders off to die in nursing homes at the earliest possible convenience. so might also be a matter of what suits the place.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Mar 16, 2020

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
france is on the verge of general lockdown, I am already wfh today as is most of our studio but we'll probably be full mandatory wfh starting tomorrow

also corporate VPN is melting down lol

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

echinopsis posted:

there's also an incredibly cynical angle, that due to the huge cost to the health system that the elderly are.. perhaps if they died.. there'd be a few more dollars to go around

this but rich people instead

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
if this virus hits any of the concentration camps at teh borders its going to be a nightmare and it will never make hte news

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I got some racism today for buying two jugs of water. I have always bought water from the market ever since my kitchen faucet poured out funky coloured smelly water once but I guess me being Asian during this pandemic gives people the right to comment about or question my purchases. I am pretty displeased about this since this is Canada and I’ve never really experienced this sort of thing before.

Anyway, sup wfh crew.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Acer Pilot posted:

I got some racism today for buying two jugs of water. I have always bought water from the market ever since my kitchen faucet poured out funky coloured smelly water once but I guess me being Asian during this pandemic gives people the right to comment about or question my purchases. I am pretty displeased about this since this is Canada and I’ve never really experienced this sort of thing before.

Anyway, sup wfh crew.

bottled water is terrible for the environment, consider getting a filter and fixing your plumbing

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

pretty sure it's this one

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/10/mustard-soft-pretzels-from-salty-snacks.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Broken Machine posted:

bottled water is terrible for the environment, consider getting a filter and fixing your plumbing

they were water jug refills but ok cool