Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
[bunfest]

Rosebud

Tried to hop into the adjacent guinea pig run, very bad

Strong candidate for Biggest Ears Prize

Strong candidate for Pet and Owner That Most Resemble Each Other Prize

Bunpack

Cannot confirm if bun was boss

Princess

Like 20 people wanted to adopt these boys

Callie is tired

[/bunfest]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I want to go to there.

Without Harriet, because we all know she would lead an uprising.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Well, like, what are her demands

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

Did Sidney have a previous human maybe litter train him on an old towel? Or put an old towel under his litter box?

Alternatively: Does he have a history of marking and claiming stuff as “his”? Rabbits often choose to poop and pee on stuff/locations they want to scent mark and claim. If you’ve ever bonded rabbits then you know that making the enclosure adequately smell like “home” to both of them is crucial, and it’s also a big part of dominance behavior.

If he’s allowed to free roam there’s probably tons of furniture around the house that smells like you and other humans. When he sees a novel piece of “furniture” hit the ground that smells like your body, and that he can stand over, he races over to stake a claim. He’s trying to dominate you. He probably wishes he could poop all over your sofa and bed....if only he could just get up there. Congratulations.

Oh man, he's a rescue, so that might be it.

He doesn't mark stuff, really, he is free range but right now there is another, evil bunny occupying "his room" - but that's been the case for months now, and this is new. There are towels elsewhere on the floor pretty frequently, it's *just* in the bathroom... which he also poops in on occasion... huh. Maybe he's trying to claim the bathroom as his new spot since his room is taken, it's *right* across from "his" room. That would also explain why he peed in the corner of the bathroom in front of me the last time I cleaned it.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

With COVID making it smart to stay indoors, does anyone have suggestions for rabbit veggies? Ms. Pepper likes dandelion and I have been cutting it and keeping it in water so it doesn't wilt, but fresh veg still is hard to keep available.

I've got enough hay to survive the apocalypse, and I grabbed some extra bags of pellet so I'm good there, but I'm worried about her veg diet.

Edit: Pepperpic

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 12, 2020

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Your rabbit will survive without fresh veg if you really think it's too much of a risk to go to the store. They'll just be grumpy about it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
If you're not really old or immunocompromised go to the loving store and buy lettuce

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Halloween Jack posted:

If you're not really old or immunocompromised go to the loving store and buy lettuce

Are you currently presenting flu-like symptoms?

Have you been in direct close physical contact with someone with flu-like symptoms, coughing in your face or shaking your hand?

Do you live with a senior citizen, or someone who has respiratory or immunodeficiency issues?

If the answer is no, go about your normal life and don't worry too much. Wash your hands a bit more often, maybe.

Public events are getting cancelled because a thousand+ people crammed into a location for hours or days is functionally a viral hotbox for something contagious, and just ONE infected person (even if they're asymptomatic) will yield probably like a couple-dozen-odd more once the event leaves. Encouraging isolation is not about not getting infected, because it's generally REALLY mild for most and you'll be fine in a few days. It's about preventing the disease getting to people it WILL kill, because there is no vaccine or herd immunity to this thing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Use the self checkout

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Hi! I'm going to be taking care of my niece's dorm rabbit until she's able to return to school from her spring coronavirus break. I know nothing about rabbits, but I do have 2 beagles, and that's similar right? Any hints? Is it going to pee everywhere and start a piss war with the dogs? Someone told me to watch out for that

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

poverty goat posted:

Hi! I'm going to be taking care of my niece's dorm rabbit until she's able to return to school from her spring coronavirus break. I know nothing about rabbits, but I do have 2 beagles, and that's similar right? Any hints? Is it going to pee everywhere and start a piss war with the dogs? Someone told me to watch out for that
Don't let it out near the dogs or the dogs near the cage. When you do let it out it might pee where it smells other animals, or it might just drop pellets. If there's a particular place it's peeing a lot put a spare litter box there. Rabbits sometimes use multiple boxes if they're stressed.

The rabbit might be aggressive toward you or not, it's hard to say. Whether your hands smell of dog can matter. They get stressed when they're in new places, so I'd give it a couple days to get to know you before you let it out of its cage. Treats can help in bonding.

When you do let it out, it'll help if you let it out in a smaller room that will be less overwhelming. Get down on the ground with the rabbit and let it check you out as it explores. Again, make sure you keep the dogs out of the room while the rabbit's out, and you keep the cage where the beagles can't try to get in. Even if they're totally friendly dogs it will likely scare the rabbit, and a stressed rabbit is a sick one.

e: It's going to be a little stressed anyway just from being away from its owner and normal space but most rabbits are pretty flexible. Just give it plenty of attention.

FactsAreUseless fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 14, 2020

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Thanks for the feedback. The rabbit is friends with their bigass dog at home, so I'm hoping that the dog smells won't freak it out too much.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

poverty goat posted:

Thanks for the feedback. The rabbit is friends with their bigass dog at home, so I'm hoping that the dog smells won't freak it out too much.

I wouldn’t trust that unless I saw it with my own eyes. I’ve heard enough stories about rabbits that “totally love [insert thing that 99% of rabbits hate] you just gotta see ‘em it’s fine!” and then you see the rabbit and it’s miserable and the owner’s just dumb and willful.

If your niece is really keeping a rabbit in a dorm, probably against campus guidelines, then I’d already be taking her word on it and its likes/dislikes with a big grain of salt. I don’t mean that to be a dick, it’s just that a rabbit is closer to a cat/dog than, say, a hamster in terms of needs and work—but lots of people keep them totally improperly because they’re cheap, cute, and quiet.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 14, 2020

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Thanks, I'm not taking anything for granted. If it doesn't die of shock when the beagles bark the first dozen times I'll consider that a success. It's definitely a legal pet though in the dorm and she's a serious animal lover with a history of really well trained and taken care of pets, so I'm not too worried about being wildly surprised. In any case I'll prepare for the worst. e: also, to be clear, the rabbit wasn't left at the dorm, it's been boarded

Can you guys suggest how much bedding, litter, food or whatever I should have on hand for potentially a few weeks? I'm not sure what I'll find at the dorm.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Mar 14, 2020

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
A few-pound bag of a quality food should get you through. Make sure it's timothy-based - alfalfa-based is extremely rich for their little systems. A goodly supply of timothy hay as well - they're supposed to have unlimited access to hay. (That's how I piss through a 50-pound bale of hay in 2 weeks with my 12.) I have 12 rabbits and it takes about 2-3 weeks to go through a 55-liter bale of pine bedding (would rather use paper but :10bux:), so take of that what you will. I'd use paper, or if you have equine pelletized bedding at a nearby feed store, that's the cleanest poo poo I've ever used.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So, y work told me to work from home for 2 weeks. I ain't in isolation, but I sure as heck am gonna play with Harriet daily while working from home. IF it was only warmer out, I could do it in my garden, which she'd love. *Sigh*

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

My ward, smoky

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

poverty goat posted:

Thanks, I'm not taking anything for granted. If it doesn't die of shock when the beagles bark the first dozen times I'll consider that a success. It's definitely a legal pet though in the dorm and she's a serious animal lover with a history of really well trained and taken care of pets, so I'm not too worried about being wildly surprised. In any case I'll prepare for the worst. e: also, to be clear, the rabbit wasn't left at the dorm, it's been boarded

Can you guys suggest how much bedding, litter, food or whatever I should have on hand for potentially a few weeks? I'm not sure what I'll find at the dorm.

You’ll need a few bags of litter (maybe 2-3?, it’ll be best for everybody if you err on changing out litter every 2-3 days and it might keep the dogs from going crazy about the strange new animal somewhere in the house. Some rabbits will dig out their litter box out of digging instinct/to try to get away/to try to clean out their “den”(enclosure)/out of stress/to get your attention/so just keep an eye on that. It seems to happen less with fresh litter.

You’ll want a spray bottle with 60/40 or 50/50 or 75/25 water/white vinegar for cleaning stuff and wiping down. It’s good for breaking down pee and poo, of which there will be a bunch to clean up. I use that stuff to clean litterboxes, cages, floor messes, etc. You can also spray it on stuff that the rabbit’s chewing, they hate it.

Rabbit will want chews and puzzles/toys. This is as easy as sticking fruit inside some hay inside a toilet paper tube. (Safe) wood toys are good too. Rabbits need to chew.

As was mentioned, you’ll want timothy hay- I like Oxbow for pet store stuff. Get 1-2 20 pound bags, he should have hay ad Libitum (rabbits need to eat and poop somewhat constantly or they go into stasis) to graze on, make sure to put a good handful of hay in the litter box every day too, rabbits like to graze while they poop (maybe tuck it into the side so he doesn’t pee on it first).

Pellets should be fed daily, use whatever he already likes (some buns can be hella picky about that) and probably pick up at least one new bag.

Veggies are super important and good, some people mainly feed hay and veggies, others supplement hay+pellets with veggies. Look up a list of rabbit safe greens and veggies and go to town. Too much sugar/water can give a bun diarrhea, and some veggies can cause nutrient issues in excess but otherwise your best bet is Costco/BJs and toss the bun a half head of lettuce or some cucumber every day or so for some nice enrichment times. Half the fun of rabbits is giving them new foods and watching them destroy $4 worth of Costco greens or whatever.

Water- bottles are the norm. Personally, I hate them and much prefer reservoir-fed bowls. Use whatever the bun has I guess, just make sure he’s never out of water. That can be a choking hazard given that they eat dry pellets and hay and stuff. If you feed lots of fresh veg don’t be surprised if the rabbit drinks way less water, but do be careful of bottle clogs- one of the reasons I dislike bottles. If the rabbit looks like it hasn’t pulled water in 2 days be concerned.

Treats- I count berries and fruit pieces as treats. Also novel veggie pieces can be good healthy treats. Treats should be given as treats. Most rabbits love yogurt drops, dried banana pieces, etc. Your niece should know all of the rabbit’s habits as they pertain to this stuff. Ask her.

Also- post pics. Of the bun and cage and stuff. We’ll be able to better help once we know what you’re working with.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Smoky has goat eyes. Rad

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

there's his setup. included is a cup or two of food, a bag with maybe 2-3 quarts of timothy hay, and a little extra bedding.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 14, 2020

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Smoky had chewed through his bag at the boarder and spent the whole trip home hiding under my back seat but I got him out without any bites so I think we are going to be friends

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

poverty goat posted:

My ward, smoky

A less floofy Harriet

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

poverty goat posted:

there's his setup. included is a cup or two of food, a bag with maybe 2-3 quarts of timothy hay, and a little extra bedding.

Definitely not my jam as far as cages go. If you happen to have an x-pen (you have doggos right?) you’ll make smoky your bestie by giving him a yard to run around in.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The cage was clearly selected to use every inch of available space in a tightly packed dorm, and he's used to walks and having the run of the room a few hours a day. But I'll see what I can do since I might have something.

e: we are good friends now, he wants my pets and eats from my hand and gets excited when I walk in but the dogs are not happy with the split custody arrangement

ee: might be able to borrow a bigass dog crate, bigger than the ones I actually crate my beagles in for the duration. if I move it into there will it cause problems down the road when the rabbit has to move back into the dorm?

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 15, 2020

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I know you guys said not to let him out of the cage for 3 days but he hopped out while I was feeding him and has been happily exploring the room. So far he's taking this much better than the dogs.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 15, 2020

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
My rabbit’s completely free roaming and it’s never been an issue but I don’t live in a dorm and also I’ve learned to keep everything bad out of the way from losing several things

Make sure there are no exposed cables he can eat, because he probably will. Or food, or anything bad. My idiot ate an entire candle in about 30 seconds, nothing is safe.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Your rabbit will survive without fresh veg if you really think it's too much of a risk to go to the store. They'll just be grumpy about it.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Are you currently presenting flu-like symptoms?

Have you been in direct close physical contact with someone with flu-like symptoms, coughing in your face or shaking your hand?

Do you live with a senior citizen, or someone who has respiratory or immunodeficiency issues?

If the answer is no, go about your normal life and don't worry too much. Wash your hands a bit more often, maybe.

Public events are getting cancelled because a thousand+ people crammed into a location for hours or days is functionally a viral hotbox for something contagious, and just ONE infected person (even if they're asymptomatic) will yield probably like a couple-dozen-odd more once the event leaves. Encouraging isolation is not about not getting infected, because it's generally REALLY mild for most and you'll be fine in a few days. It's about preventing the disease getting to people it WILL kill, because there is no vaccine or herd immunity to this thing.

Thanks. I did get a bunch of dandelion, and I'm keeping it in water so it won't get wilty. That'll get me a good while before I need to make another trip.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

A good bun

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I'm working on fencing off a chunk of the bun's room so he won't be locked in the cage all day, so you guys can rest easy on that front. In the mean time, my niece seems to be having not such a good mental health week at home in NYC in the midst of doom and panic and I'm having trouble getting through to her, so I appreciate the help.

Questions:
1.) Do I need to brush him? Will he turn into a dreadlock?
2.) The dogs so far are taking this much worse than the rabbit. If this arrangement drags on for weeks I'd like to move toward being able to at least have the caged rabbit in the same room as humans and dogs during the day since right now the rabbit is isolated almost all day. As I've said, the rabbit lives with a dog at home and doesn't seem too bothered by the smells or the noises outside the bedroom door, but the dogs are now convinced I'm harboring some kind of monster in there which presents a mortal danger and I'm not sure how best to reassure/desensitize them. Any thoughts? Is this ever going to work?

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 16, 2020

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I’d brush the rabbit if only to prevent shedding and balls of fur blowing across your floor.

If you have baseboards in the rabbit’s room keep an eye on them. When my rabbit was younger she loved to chew on those

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

Make sure there are no exposed cables he can eat, because he probably will. Or food, or anything bad. My idiot ate an entire candle in about 30 seconds, nothing is safe.

I can vouch for this poo poo. All 3 of our Havana/Silver Fox mix girls regularly munch their litterboxes even when they have hay and chews available. It's a miracle none of them have died from eating loving plastic. Jobie also ate the insulation off an extension running near his cage.

Deadite posted:

If you have baseboards in the rabbit’s room keep an eye on them. When my rabbit was younger she loved to chew on those

Also this. Jojo and Agatha both loved baseboards and door frames before they passed.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

poverty goat posted:

Questions:
Smoky doesn't look super fluffy like an Angora or anything, but you should brush him from time to time so he doesn't shed all over the place. More importantly, he'll like you more.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Smoky doesn't look super fluffy like an Angora or anything, but you should brush him from time to time so he doesn't shed all over the place. More importantly, he'll like you more because it cements you being his bitch :v:

ftfy

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

poverty goat posted:

I'm working on fencing off a chunk of the bun's room so he won't be locked in the cage all day, so you guys can rest easy on that front. In the mean time, my niece seems to be having not such a good mental health week at home in NYC in the midst of doom and panic and I'm having trouble getting through to her, so I appreciate the help.

Questions:
2.) The dogs so far are taking this much worse than the rabbit. If this arrangement drags on for weeks I'd like to move toward being able to at least have the caged rabbit in the same room as humans and dogs during the day since right now the rabbit is isolated almost all day. As I've said, the rabbit lives with a dog at home and doesn't seem too bothered by the smells or the noises outside the bedroom door, but the dogs are now convinced I'm harboring some kind of monster in there and presents a mortal danger and I'm not sure how best to reassure them. Any thoughts? Is this ever going to work?

The biggest fear that rabbit people have is prey drive and snap behaviors. I’ve known plenty of rabbits who have comfortably acclimated to living with/near dogs, cats, weird humans, etc. That’s not so much the problem.

What is a problem is that it only takes one moment for the rabbit to go hoppity-hop, as rabbits do, and for the dog to go into autopilot dog mode with the new fuzzy animal. Can you count on your dog to not fetch with a running rabbit? Even if the dog heels, how do you keep the dog from barking and spooking the rabbit into bolting? What if the dog wants to play? Can you count on the dogs being restrained? Most dog bite incidents happen with pets that people know. As a human you can accept that risk and exercise judgement.

And if the rabbit is spooked it will probably flip out and try to bolt. A bolting rabbit might jump out of your arms and faceplant into the ground. On a wood floor it might slip and break its ankle, trip on the rug and break its leg, fall down the stairs, snap its metatarsal on your doorsill, get its foot caught in the cage wire, run into the wall, run into danger, faceplant into furniture, get tangled in a cable, etc.

In the end it comes down to nonverbal communication between stranger animals. Rabbits are prey animals, they don’t move or play the way dogs and cats do. Even a much smaller cat won’t register as prey to a dog based on how it moves and acts. If challenged, it will generally meet said challenge like a fellow predator. But rabbits will generally respond like prey if investigated by curious/eager dogs. What starts out as an innocent investigation can turn ugly when the weird new puppy ends up acting more like a squirrel than a dog and instinct takes over.

And while many rabbits will happily tolerate dogs, I’ve never seen one that enjoys being wrestled with or put on its back (this is a thing btw- a lot of lovely Instagram russianspeople like to take adorable pictures of rabbits lying perfectly still on their backs, usually nestled in somebody’s lap. Don’t do this unless you’re doing medical biz/wellness checks. Rabbits are prey animals and being exposed on their backs like that is probably their closest version of hell. And Definitely don’t tickle their bellies like they’re a kitten, they haaaaaaaate that). So if the animals must coexist do it gradually and very gently. Keep the rabbit enclosed and give the dogs some distance, for everybody’s safety. Let them be in the same room but apart, and don’t let the dogs get their noses into the cage. A scared/angry rabbit can do serious damage with its teeth (rabbits will often fight to the death if not bonded/socialized) and its cage is its personal den space. You get a jillion opportunities to do this right but it only takes one thing to go very wrong with no backsies, so err on the side of slow! Worst case scenario the rabbit hangs out in a cage by itself for a bit. Better chill than dead.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Don't worry, I have no intention of ever letting the rabbit loose in a room with the dogs, I'd just like to be able to bring his cage into the room with me and the dogs without the dogs baying about it. Right now he's alone all day except for when I lock the dogs out and hang out in the room with him one on one.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What an excellent rabbit! I'm glad he's adapted to this new place so fast.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
<3 cleo even though shes being bad here I took a picture anyway

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I dropped a shrimp next to him yesterday while cooking dinner and I was amazed that he ignored it. I know they’re herbivores but at this point I wouldn’t be surprised.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

I hate to admit that we've sort of neglected loving on our remaining pre-mass-rescue buns since we picked the 25 rescues up. However, Zuba (the Original Bun) has been getting out every night (no free-roam because insane loving children) for snuggles, and she will happily let me plop her right onto my wife's chest, where she will happily sit for an hour before hopping off to visit with me and grandma. Last night, she snuggled my head for a while and little whisker tickles on my ears were superb. :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So I set up my standing desk so I can work from home in Harriet's room tomorrow. Bad idea or worst idea?