Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Acer Pilot posted:

I got some racism today for buying two jugs of water. I have always bought water from the market ever since my kitchen faucet poured out funky coloured smelly water once but I guess me being Asian during this pandemic gives people the right to comment about or question my purchases. I am pretty displeased about this since this is Canada and I’ve never really experienced this sort of thing before.

Anyway, sup wfh crew.

have you tried being white

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
at first i was thinking we'd peak in may but now i think it might be earlier because it seems that for as lovely as the federal response has been, states are pulling their head out of their rear end and doing the right thing

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

uncurable mlady posted:

at first i was thinking we'd peak in may but now i think it might be earlier because it seems that for as lovely as the federal response has been, states are pulling their head out of their rear end and doing the right thing

but if they're doing it right shouldn't it peak later (and lower)?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

gabensraum posted:

i think we're gonna peak earlier but with a lower peak

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

gabensraum posted:

yeah, i'd expect a later peak if things go well.

but we are in kind of uncharted territory, so remains to be seen.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I belong in this thread now

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

uncurable mlady posted:

MA is on state-wide lockdown until April 6 starting tomorrow:

Schools closed
Restaurants closed for dine-in
No gatherings of over 25 people

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

uncurable mlady posted:

yeah i think italy scared the poo poo out of everyone. i'm cautiously optimistic that we may get through this with minimal casualties. can't wait for all the contrarian shitlords to talk about how it wasn't necessary once it finally blows over

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

PIZZA.BAT posted:

yeah i think italy scared the poo poo out of everyone.

with good reason tho, charts showing the progression indicated that many countries were on the same trajectory as Italy but just like a week behind

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Zlodo posted:

france is on the verge of general lockdown, I am already wfh today as is most of our studio but we'll probably be full mandatory wfh starting tomorrow

I escaped the big city yesterday. Only wish i got acceptable internet and a second monitor

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Zlodo posted:

with good reason tho, charts showing the progression indicated that many countries were on the same trajectory as Italy but just like a week behind

given the massive under reporting and lack of testing, the us may already be well past italy in actual cases. some health officials were estimating we're already over 500k; some in ohio were guessing about 100k there alone

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

PIZZA.BAT posted:

yeah i think italy scared the poo poo out of everyone. i'm cautiously optimistic that we may get through this with minimal casualties. can't wait for all the contrarian shitlords to talk about how it wasn't necessary once it finally blows over

im not. if anything im cautiously optimistic that this disease might shine a bright light on the fundamental rot inside our economy. i dont see how it ends any time soon.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i don't think there's any way the us avoids mass casualties here. we have about 3 hospital beds per 1000 people, only a third or so of those are available, and probably half of the population will get it. we also have no ability as a country to quickly ramp up that capacity. there are probably going to be mass graves, bodies in the streets, the internet could stop working, you could lose electricity. not to be an alarmist but this is incredibly serious and there's no realistic way to mitigate the risk; too many sovereign citizens will just break quarantine anyway, i doubt they'll be able to enforce a lockdown

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

fart simpson posted:

im not. if anything im cautiously optimistic that this disease might shine a bright light on the fundamental rot inside our economy. i dont see how it ends any time soon.

oh yeah absolutely. when i say cautiously optimistic i mean we're ONLY going to be hit with a century-defining depression with massive economic misery that will last over a decade. at least we probably won't have mass graves on top of that

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

MONDAY MORNING MUTHAFUCKAASSS

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Acer Pilot posted:

I got some racism today for buying two jugs of water. I have always bought water from the market ever since my kitchen faucet poured out funky coloured smelly water once but I guess me being Asian during this pandemic gives people the right to comment about or question my purchases. I am pretty displeased about this since this is Canada and I’ve never really experienced this sort of thing before.

Anyway, sup wfh crew.

wait how could canada, a country where the liberal prime minister couldnt remember how many times he did blackface, be racist?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Skim Milk posted:

MONDAY MORNING MUTHAFUCKAASSS

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Captain Foo posted:

I belong in this thread now

same, but for real now, and not as just some kind of pathetic WFH daycrew groupie like i was before.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
lol @ people still working at the office like cavemen

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

im tempted to take a photo of my desk behind me at work and use zoom so it looks like im in the office just to make meetings confusing

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Agile Vector posted:

im tempted to take a photo of my desk behind me at work and use zoom so it looks like im in the office just to make meetings confusing

do goatse but strategically place yourself in front of the b hole

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
it looks like the uk’s plan is literally the quietus huh

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

George posted:

it looks like the uk’s plan is literally the quietus huh

it makes no sense. herd immunity is a concept associated with vaccinated populations. humanity had as much herd immunity to smallpox as it was ever gonna get for millennia and it was still a horrible scourge.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
my dumbass sister was out on a bar crawl in Wrigleyville last weekend.

When I texted her to please for the love of god go home because you're actively participating in the slaughter of thousands, her response was "nah its ok".

We are hosed.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i work a service desk and apparently I'm considered "essential" so I'm still here

but I also have unlimited PTO so hmmm :thunk:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

working from work because no one thought to buy enough Cisco vpn licenses to cover the entire workforce. lol

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Agile Vector posted:

my biggest annoyance with wfh so far is that my work laptop's processor isn't good enough to use this feature without a green screen

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

my work computer is a POS so i'm using my big ol' thinkpad instead.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

President Beep posted:

do goatse but strategically place yourself in front of the b hole

im going to be the ring

Joementum posted:

my biggest annoyance with wfh so far is that my work laptop's processor isn't good enough to use this feature without a green screen

yeah, it chugs on an ipad pro 11, too. im curious if it really needs to be a green screen or if i can pin a blue blanket behind me and itll chromakey on that as well

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

from the main corona thread on c-spam:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Joementum posted:

me too. most disappointing thing ever. i wanna be in space

Agile Vector posted:

im curious if it really needs to be a green screen or if i can pin a blue blanket behind me and itll chromakey on that as well

oo that's a good point. i have a bright red fleece blanket that i might be able to use

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sam harris making sense podcast has some
epidemiologist on who recons fatality rate may be less than 0.6% realistically

but it’s also getting everywhere

that’s what? around one and a half million dead in the US?

24,000 here in nz

the podcast is worthwhile listening to the dude seems to know what he’s talking about. gonna listen to the rest on the way to work. getting in 2.5 hours before we open to get poo poo done 😓 we are busy AS gently caress

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

echinopsis posted:

sam harris making sense podcast has some
epidemiologist on who recons fatality rate may be less than 0.6% realistically

but it’s also getting everywhere

that’s what? around one and a half million dead in the US?

24,000 here in nz

the podcast is worthwhile listening to the dude seems to know what he’s talking about. gonna listen to the rest on the way to work. getting in 2.5 hours before we open to get poo poo done 😓 we are busy AS gently caress

it depends on what percentage of people need hospitalization. once hospitals are overwhelmed, it doesn't much matter if you would have lived with treatment, and death rates are going to go way up

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Broken Machine posted:

from the main corona thread on c-spam:

wilford brimley frowning.jpg

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
0.6% dead people is still dead people; making light of things with stats like that is neoliberal hellspeak

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

me too. most disappointing thing ever. i wanna be in space

my dude, we r all in space if you think about it. :2bong:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

spaceship earth. please read heavy metal.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lancemantis posted:

0.6% dead people is still dead people; making light of things with stats like that is neoliberal hellspeak

I don't think it's an attempt to make light of things

Broken Machine posted:

it depends on what percentage of people need hospitalization. once hospitals are overwhelmed, it doesn't much matter if you would have lived with treatment, and death rates are going to go way up

you're not wrong. those numbers are pulled from south korea, which has the highest quality data, but perhaps also higher quality care too.

I work with a girl who is fatalistic and honestly lacks empathy for anyone and it's so loving frustrating, I'm like, we need to make every decision around saving human lives here, whereas she thinks signs outside the pharmacy asking us to keep people out who have coronavirus makes us look unfriendly

I had to ask a dude to self isolate yesterday. I'm gonna call him today because he looked like his feelings were hurt. I hope I didn't make him sad lol

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

so far the most scariest thing i have seen is the LA photo with lines outside the gun shop and to be honest i think if i was living there i would have been in that line too

stay safe us goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
and goons from the rest of the world too