Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

CJacobs posted:

I should say I do agree with you to some extent, the game puts up a great illusion of difficulty but even on hard mode there's really nothing to worry about. Sam being a repatriate means that it is basically impossible to permanently screw up, aside from voidout craters making future trips through certain areas more difficult. If you destroy the cargo on a plot delivery you do get an actual "restart from your last save" game over so they do punish failure outside of boss fights. I understand the frustration with the game implying you need to take extra precautions everywhere you go and then not really following through, but imo it doesn't need that to still be enjoyable. The punishment for unpreparedness is all short-term stuff like Sam being exhausted until you rest, and so on. If you run out into the world with no supplies you're going to feel it, but the game's not going to go out of its way to make playing it actively unpleasant, and I don't really mind that.

can you actually cause void-outs in the game, like outside a cut scene? is that what happens when you use a real gun to kill a mule? like can you actually destroy knot cities / prepper bases by purposely dropping dead bodies nearby? i never thought to try that

edit: comparing this to minecraft actually puts it in context for me. you can't really die in minecraft either (you can get inconvenienced if you stuff gets broken, but you can theoretically always make more) and the game is more about making challenges for yourself than anything else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yes. If you get eaten by a BT boss or gold BT it does leave an actual huge crater that you will then have to walk around (because Sam can't go in it) for the rest of the game. Or close enough to the rest of the game anyway, they do get smaller until they re-shape into normal ground after a loooooong time. If you kill someone and don't incinerate them you get a "load your last save" game over after two or so in-game days' worth of time- but if you go far enough away Die Hardman sends someone to take care of them for you and you get docked a bunch of Likes.

edit: And no you can't destroy cities and prepper shelters, the BTs drag you away to a 'safe' zone where the boss spawns where nothing mission-critical will get destroyed. The crater does get much much bigger in open spaces though.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 12, 2020

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

CJacobs posted:

Yes. If you get eaten by a BT boss or gold BT it does leave an actual huge crater that you will then have to walk around (because Sam can't go in it) for the rest of the game. Or close enough to the rest of the game anyway, they do get smaller until they re-shape into normal ground after a loooooong time.

the only game over i actually got is the one where you're obviously given a trapped package by higgs and you get told to drive to south knot and you also get told to go talk to fragile but the game doesn't put a marker for her on the map, so i figured "oh well she must be in south knot city, i'll go there and see what she says" and then the instant i get past the gate the screen just goes to white with SNAKE? SNAKE? SNAAAAAAAAAAAKE!!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I did that too lol. There is an icon for her but it's veeeeery small. Die Hardman says she's waiting at the distro center for you but I assumed that meant the one outside the city and as long as I didn't deliver the package I was okay (I was not correct).

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

CJacobs posted:

If you kill someone and don't incinerate them you get a "load your last save" game over after two or so in-game days' worth of time- but if you go far enough away Die Hardman sends someone to take care of them for you and you get docked a bunch of Likes.

does killing mules prevent them from respawning? because i've been rolling w/ non-lethal rounds and i think their camps take about a day to respawn after i clear one out. it would actually make sense why there's incinerators placed on both maps if the challenge became "yeah you can kill all these dudes and it'll permanently clear the camp, but can you get all of their corpses to the incinerator before they go necro?"

edit: also lol that ramming a dude with your truck only puts them into the unconscious state and doesn't count as a death

night slime
May 14, 2014
You have to ram them back and forth a lot to kill. I think having your truck loaded helps. They respawn after dying after a while, which is funny cause it implies guys are constantly going crazy or becoming terrorists.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
They stay gone for a lot longer than just knocking them all out, I have never done it myself but people report on the Death Stranding reddit that they played all the way to the endgame without camps they emptied respawning. Of course if you do that it means the resources in the camp won't respawn either, so it does have some small gameplay effects if you like hoarding metals and ceramics or sending them to other players and such.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Freaking Crumbum posted:

the only game over i actually got is the one where you're obviously given a trapped package by higgs and you get told to drive to south knot and you also get told to go talk to fragile but the game doesn't put a marker for her on the map, so i figured "oh well she must be in south knot city, i'll go there and see what she says" and then the instant i get past the gate the screen just goes to white with SNAKE? SNAKE? SNAAAAAAAAAAAKE!!

I did that too, then I said "gently caress this" and hurled it into the lake to see what would happen. Turns out that was the right thing to do but I think I skipped something?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RudeCat posted:

I did that too, then I said "gently caress this" and hurled it into the lake to see what would happen. Turns out that was the right thing to do but I think I skipped something?

Yeah if you talk to Fragile she tells you to pitch it in the lake.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
I occasionally get Die Hardman telling me to pick up a body and dispose of it, but I can never see it marked on the map. Can it appear anywhere or is it always located nearby and you just have to scan for it?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Freaking Crumbum posted:

just got through the whole sequence of edge knot city, and it made a lot of the game feel pointless. like is there any real reason to do any deliveries outside the mandatory plot missions? you get given enough baseline equipment to progress from the story missions, and although the upgraded versions are nice, they don't really seem to make much of a difference. i mean you can't fail boss encounters (both because you can't die and because friendly sams just infinitely chuck weapons and ammo at you) so ... like ... why would i even bother to run the non-mandatory delivery quests?

i dunno, as i look back over what i spent 50 hours doing in this game, almost all of it seems to amount to "pointless time wasting" and it's underwhelming

You do the standard orders to fill up the bars and rebuild America :911:

I get it though. The first 4 hours I was thinking Kojima was playing a joke on us. I dug the backstory and eventually the gameplay clicked with me and now I'm 120 hours deep on my last cheevo before I get my first ever platinum.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the thing with the nuke is one of my favorite video game things ever because it gives you a big obviously dangerous package that literally says "this is a nuke" given to you by obviously higgs and then the game tells you verbally but does not put on to your minimap where to go talk to fragile.

and then people get a game over

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I did not understand how people were actually setting it off, much less how they were surprised by and unhappy about it, but when you put it that way it sort of makes sense.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

That was I think also the only time I got a game over, when I nuked the city.

It’s funny how in games like, say, dark souls, I tend to let the stakes and mood of the game direct how I play. So in souls it is a lot of careful proceeding and then some occasionally triumphs of reflex training.

In a game like death stranding i find myself moving very carefully, mindful of things like nicking cases or stumbling, and VERY VERY adverse to the BT engagement. Like something about them tells my brain to avoid at all costs. I don’t think I shot at any (or used grenades) outside of the targets the game kinda direct it at like the bosses. I guess the mood of that first cutscene really locked in the idea that I “did not want anything to do with those things”

Then in the end game its all been getting out of that habit and letting myself die more and all.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Surprised this wasn't shared in this thread but Conan O Brian recently talked with Norman Reedus about Death Stranding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhoTxTtd8jg

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Peacoffee posted:

That was I think also the only time I got a game over, when I nuked the city.

It’s funny how in games like, say, dark souls, I tend to let the stakes and mood of the game direct how I play. So in souls it is a lot of careful proceeding and then some occasionally triumphs of reflex training.

In a game like death stranding i find myself moving very carefully, mindful of things like nicking cases or stumbling, and VERY VERY adverse to the BT engagement. Like something about them tells my brain to avoid at all costs. I don’t think I shot at any (or used grenades) outside of the targets the game kinda direct it at like the bosses. I guess the mood of that first cutscene really locked in the idea that I “did not want anything to do with those things”

Then in the end game its all been getting out of that habit and letting myself die more and all.
Yeah I've been really careful and risk adverse (don't wanna damage that cargo!) so I think I've only been to the seam a couple of times and I'm not really sure if I'm playing "correctly". Am I missing something by not dying?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RudeCat posted:

Yeah I've been really careful and risk adverse (don't wanna damage that cargo!) so I think I've only been to the seam a couple of times and I'm not really sure if I'm playing "correctly". Am I missing something by not dying?

Not really.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you die a whole hell of a lot in a small timespan you get some different private room animations and the blood pee grenades, but other than that there's nothing special. There's a special death animation if you let Sam fall asleep in the snow but that's all I can think of.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Good to know. I'll keep on keeping on.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I beat the game last night, and overall really enjoyed it. I think the ending sequence from the boss at the western edge to the actual end of the game went on for way too long, but the list of people I connected with at the end of the credits was worth it :unsmith:. I liked most of the characters and interpersonal moments but I think the overall story wasn't great, though the themes of connections and caring about people were good. Mama's story wasn't great and Kojima still has major issues writing women in my opinion.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Freaking Crumbum posted:

mostly it hit home when i died in the middle of the boss fight with the giant BT and the only thing that happened was that i had to swim back to my body and i was right back in the fight, boss had the same health level, friendly ghosts still throwing guns & ammo at me. it just felt so anticlimactic, which then made me pontificate on how the difficulty of the game in general is very illusionary, which then made me wonder how many other systems largely only exist because the player is told "you should do this" and you might not stop to test whether or not there's actually a hard boundary to anything.

As far as I’m aware that’s the only boss fight where you respawn that way. People must have been getting killed a lot in that one, I know I did.

I found the game satisfying because I really liked the package delivery logistics, I just don’t think the combat parts are that enjoyable.

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus

DalaranJ posted:

As far as I’m aware that’s the only boss fight where you respawn that way. People must have been getting killed a lot in that one, I know I did.

I found the game satisfying because I really liked the package delivery logistics, I just don’t think the combat parts are that enjoyable.

I completely agree, I'd have been happy if they completely removed combat even.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I didn't particularly love my time playing Death Stranding but that first moment with the whale bt was maybe my stand out moment from all games in recent memory.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Sakara123 posted:

I completely agree, I'd have been happy if they completely removed combat even.

I didn't fully hate the combat during like boss fights, but once you got like grenades and the knife handcuff avoiding BTs did nothing besides slow down the game for me. I would have been fine with stealth sequences sometimes and the rest of the game just the delivery/traversal portion. I really really liked the mountain portion where you didn't have vehicles but any BT encounter there just sucked the fun out.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

RudeCat posted:

you can make connections to other people you find in the seam and i think it gives you a very small amount of chiral bandwidth or something? i dont actually specifically remember what it gives you.

also like you can explore the seam if you die interesting places you can see some stuff.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

What kind of stuff can you see? I've killed myself "off save" a couple of times and swam around a bit but haven't seen anything "interesting"

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

i wish they would have staggered higg's journal entries across the entire plot progression, instead of lumping them 10%/10%/80% behind 3 of the usb stick things. the final one literally has higgs comments on every major plot event that sam undertakes and it's just weird that they're holed away behind the pizza missions. it just seems like those should have been served up as you go because reading all of them after everything has already happened is :effort:

is the crater on the south side of the first map (south of port knot city) the same crater as the one on the north side of the second map (north west of lake knot city)? because the sense of scale in this game is too condensed to actually represent traveling across america, i really thought the second map was going to be like the second of 10 or something, but then nope that's 95% of the game but somehow it also represents like illinois to arizona

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I finally platted this sucker. Took 122 hours. Enjoyed it a lot.

night slime
May 14, 2014
So I found out the terminals only display 10 orders at a time and that they display more if you go back after the fabricate equipment menu (the one for the mission), and you have to do that again to display more than 20 or however many you want. This was confusing for a long time to me, and I remember reading in the thread someone couldn't get the Heartman order for a report to show up. I thought it just displayed stuff and made you clear orders to get what you wanted to show up.

Also I tried to bring a necrotizing corpse into William Lake's city and they weren't having any of that poo poo. Forcefield barriers wouldn't go down until I left it a foot outside the gates, making it somehow safer I guess.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

night slime posted:

So I found out the terminals only display 10 orders at a time and that they display more if you go back after the fabricate equipment menu (the one for the mission), and you have to do that again to display more than 20 or however many you want. This was confusing for a long time to me, and I remember reading in the thread someone couldn't get the Heartman order for a report to show up. I thought it just displayed stuff and made you clear orders to get what you wanted to show up.

What

This must be why I'm having trouble finding orders for 500/500 LoL's. Thanks for the heads up.

night slime
May 14, 2014
Yeah I wish I'd have known when I was going around the first time trying to figure out who to do to complete. I only found out because I was doing a spreadsheet of who to do and hit a wall, since everyone looked complete. Luckily a gamefaqs guy had posted about the trick like a day ago.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Freaking Crumbum posted:

I did the exact same thing and iirc I had to drive a long rear end ways all over again

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

night slime posted:

Wait, what exactly do you do? Take an order, get past the fabricate equipment step, then open the terminal again?

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Didn’t know that was a thing - but couldn’t you also send some bots out on orders?

night slime
May 14, 2014

Listerine posted:

Wait, what exactly do you do? Take an order, get past the fabricate equipment step, then open the terminal again?

You just go back one step with circle, you don't go all the way out. It puts the 10-12 orders you took on a "selected" green tab and the undisplayed orders (if any) newly appear above on a blue available tab.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Bots seem a bit underdeveloped in this. Nice idea but they don't seem to add much. And they're all crap at delivering even if they're on tarmac all the way.

It would have been nice if you could see them trundling around in the world.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
This game is very good but I feel so far away from its end. I've played 21 hours, 13 in launch week and 8 yesterday and I am still on chapter 3.

Definitely gonna get my strand on tonight though

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/MimiMoonCosplay/status/1238455388682493958

So is Kojima actually a time traveler or what?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Kojima is actually John Titor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

night slime
May 14, 2014
Pretty soon we'll all be walking around in Ludens gear.