Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

MrTargetPractice posted:

I mean aside from the premise the shows are pretty similar. Dark pasts, lovely circumstances, recovering for a recent Very Bad Thing. I think a lot of has to do with the characters. In DS9 people are trying to move forward despite their lovely situation. In Picard and Disco all the character loving wallow in their misery like they are trying to do an interpretative dance of Crawling by Linkin Park.

When they're not too busy stabbing each other in the back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Wait, so a half Romulan Vulcan infiltrated Star Fleet? Wait. Don’t they do full physicals on Starfleet cadets at some point. They were willing to boot an enlisted guy for being a quarter Romulan in TNG. I want the big reveal to be that she is actually Saavik.

I liked the latest episode. They finally outed everyone’s demons and brought all the angst out and now it seems they can be a team. I am optimistic.

Also eager for Mass Effect Season 2 where Picard is given a rebuilt and improved Enterprise by the Tal Shiar and they gather up a lot of his old crew to get them on board. Every episode is either a recruitment mission to get some old or new crew member or a morale mission to resolve that person’s demons.

I get the explanation for not killing Data because he was not advanced enough but Lal should have been a warning sign to the conspiracy. Maddox should have been taken out long before for wanting to continue Soong’s work when he wanted to disassemble Data.

Still optimistic about the show. It feels fitting to have the outlook of Picard about the Picard show. :unsmith:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
romulans and Vulcans are practically identical physiologically. Seems like an easy mistake to make

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

the writers for new star trek are dipshit garbage assholes and as a by product their plots are garbage and their characters are dipshit assholes. it's that simple. i am not even sure if the hate star trek, they just don't understand it other than phasers and explosions.

naem
May 29, 2011

mediaphage posted:

This has always made me uncomfortable. It happens whenever there's a bunch of mostly straight dudes in one place and it's always gross as poo poo. Like I remember coworkers and such seeing a picture on a magazine at checkout and going, "I'd gently caress her." No poo poo, you're disgusting and have no chance, of course you would. Ugh.

dno’t kinkshamb

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

Gutcruncher posted:

romulans and Vulcans are practically identical physiologically. Seems like an easy mistake to make

that ensign on the drumhead was a quarter romulan as well, seems like it's not that uncommon?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you'd think there would be more romulan mixes than vulcan, since vulcans are so impossibly weird about loving.

naem
May 29, 2011

romulans gently caress

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Yeah there's literally a TNG episode all about how you shouldn't be afraid of people who are part Romulan.

Except Star Trek Picard posits: maybe you should??

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

I just finished that DS9 episode with the Tosk 'Captive Pursuit'. There is no way modern Trek could pull that loving episode off. If they'd tried Star Fleet would have Section 69 do a kick flip over Tosk while cutting off his head because something something they have tech we need AND THIS IS WAR DAMMIT!!!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

MrTargetPractice posted:

I just finished that DS9 episode with the Tosk 'Captive Pursuit'. There is no way modern Trek could pull that loving episode off. If they'd tried Star Fleet would have Section 69 do a kick flip over Tosk while cutting off his head because something something they have tech we need AND THIS IS WAR DAMMIT!!!

Quark would actually be raping the dabo girls in the b-plot.

I mean, it's implied that he is in DS9, modern Trek would just remove the ambiguity

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Quark: Think about it. She's on a space station in deep space with her employer. She looks around her, what does she see? An empty boardwalk. "Oh, there's nowhere else for me to work, what am I gonna do, say no?"

Bashir: Quark, that seems awfully dark.

Quark: No, no, it's not dark. You're misunderstanding me.

Bashir: Yes, I think I am.

Quark: Yeah, you are. If the girl said no, then the answer is obviously no. The thing is that she's not gonna say no, she'd never say no... because of the implication.

Bashir: Now, you said that word "implication" a couple of times - what implication, Quark?

Quark: The implication that she might not have a job if she refuses to sleep with me. Now, not that she's not going to have a job, but she's thinking she might not.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Ghostlight posted:

Quark: Think about it. She's on a space station in deep space with her employer. She looks around her, what does she see? An empty boardwalk. "Oh, there's nowhere else for me to work, what am I gonna do, say no?"

Bashir: Quark, that seems awfully dark.

Quark: No, no, it's not dark. You're misunderstanding me.

Bashir: Yes, I think I am.

Quark: Yeah, you are. If the girl said no, then the answer is obviously no. The thing is that she's not gonna say no, she'd never say no... because of the implication.

Bashir: Now, you said that word "implication" a couple of times - what implication, Quark?

Quark: The implication that she might not have a job if she refuses to sleep with me. Now, not that she's not going to have a job, but she's thinking she might not.

:kiss:

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

infernal machines posted:

Quark would actually be raping the dabo girls in the b-plot.

I mean, it's implied that he is in DS9, modern Trek would just remove the ambiguity

That's true. Though it seems like it was less direct and more of... Yeah it's just rape. I was going to make some sort of casting couch analogy but it's not like that makes it better.

At least Sisco deals with it right away.I feel like Nu Trek would reveal it halfway through the episode and it turns out Star Fleet knew the whole time. Whoever would ask why and would get some bullshit "He gets the job done" or "there are worse things going on out there" and that would be the last we'd hear of it because he does some thing vaguely useful. Basically meaning it just keeps happeninh.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga

THS posted:

watching the ds9 ep where bashir treats the other genetic freaks and i like that the only thing wrong with the woman is that she is so horny that she has to be held in space prison

I just thought that her condition was that she had to laying down half the day.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
I started watching DS9 for the first time in like 20 years and started wondering if I should skip the first season or just work my way through it? It's kinda lame at times

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It is kinda lame but I would recommend watching it all the way through. It's the only first season of the TNG era shows that approaches being decent and it has some excellent episodes.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

That's Star Trek.

I would say that outside of Bashir and Dax most of the characterisation in season one gets built on. But the reality is if you don't want to watch it don't because there's way too many good things to watch and plenty of resources that will give you a cliff notes of the important stuff.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
I definitely enjoy the show, don't get me wrong. It's just that there a shitload of episodes per season so I wondered if the main plot really gets going only later on.

Sisko rules already, though.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Missionary Positron posted:

I started watching DS9 for the first time in like 20 years and started wondering if I should skip the first season or just work my way through it? It's kinda lame at times

It lays a lot of ground for what's to come, don't skip it.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Watching TNG Season 5: Ep 6, where it opens in media res in a scene where Riker is being chased around the room by an alien that he is presumably banging that looks like the dude from Mask

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

etalian posted:

I think Harry Kim was the most realistic character on the show.

Sort of like every department has that one guy who's really nice but has no clue how to get ahead / brown nose the boss the right way in order to get promoted.

He's definitely depicted as more than competent. He comes up with a bunch of solutions single-handedly that save the day. If they were back at Starfleet he'd be a lieutenant or a lieutenant-commander by the mid series.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

THS posted:

ds9 reinforces the utopian ideals of star trek even more than tng did by subjecting it to serious interrogation in the face of existential crisis, but ultimately those ideals are affirmed. new trek none of the writers give a gently caress about any of that

I uhhhhh. They break a lot of Federation law and get away with it, or are seen to be justified in doing so, or more often than that, both.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Did rank really matter on Voyager anyways? A couple of people got demoted or stripped of their rank as punishment but there's limited promotion opportunities and even if you did get promoted you'd probably have to do the same tasks but more.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Did rank really matter on Voyager anyways? A couple of people got demoted or stripped of their rank as punishment but there's limited promotion opportunities and even if you did get promoted you'd probably have to do the same tasks but more.

Yeah that's part of the problem. Nobody could get promoted for the 50 years or however long. Sucks but what else could they do?

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
Just got to to the "Duet" episode of DS9 and daaaaaamn this is some good poo poo.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSRk2nxjYHM

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

DS9 is a very good show.

I just caught a bit of a recent Colm Meaney interview. The host was kinda making fun of scifi in general and asked him he ever felt silly delivering the ridiculous embarrassing poo poo scifi TV shows make actors say. Colm actually got a bit defensive and said he never felt embarrassed on DS9. The show had terrific writers, and the show handled a lot of very important topics in the 90's that are incredibly relevant today and used the whole "sanctuary" district 2-parter as an example. Sure there was some technobabble they'd have to say but there wasn't much of it on DS9 compared to a lot of other scifi but him and the cast were always very proud of the work they were doing.

Colm is good.

large_gourd
Jan 17, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Missionary Positron posted:

Just got to to the "Duet" episode of DS9 and daaaaaamn this is some good poo poo.

it's the episode that got me into the show, yeah.

i'd even advise for people to just start ds9 with the pilot, continue for a few eps until you get bored (cos you'll probably get bored in s1) and then just skip to duet and come back to s1 whenever you feel like it.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

https://youtu.be/8QznWtrIdro

https://youtu.be/mb2id5PoO_E

https://youtu.be/vQ2rYvvI-hk

https://youtu.be/i2h0Z9a9uqg

https://youtu.be/yylr7fFt4VA

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Baronjutter posted:

DS9 is a very good show.

I just caught a bit of a recent Colm Meaney interview. The host was kinda making fun of scifi in general and asked him he ever felt silly delivering the ridiculous embarrassing poo poo scifi TV shows make actors say. Colm actually got a bit defensive and said he never felt embarrassed on DS9. The show had terrific writers, and the show handled a lot of very important topics in the 90's that are incredibly relevant today and used the whole "sanctuary" district 2-parter as an example. Sure there was some technobabble they'd have to say but there wasn't much of it on DS9 compared to a lot of other scifi but him and the cast were always very proud of the work they were doing.

Colm is good.

Isn't colm the record holder for most Star trek screen time? I'd get mad at someone casting dispersions too

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Raku posted:

Isn't colm the record holder for most Star trek screen time? I'd get mad at someone casting dispersions too

It’s gotta be Michael Dorn. Colm was only in a handful of TNG eps.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Gotta be Worf, TNG+DS9

stolen from some reddit comment

quote:

Worf appeared in 270 episodes and films. If you add holograms, illusions, mirror versions, and stock footage, that boosts him up to 276. Additionally Michael Dorn played Worf's grandfather in STVI.

O'Brien is second with 211 episodes (no films), not counting two mirror universe episodes (nor "Far Beyond the Stars" in which Colm Meaney portrayed a writer but not O'Brien himself).

Just going by actors, of course, both Dorn and Meaney are dwarfed by Majel Barrett who, as the voice of the typical Starfleet computer, appeared in virtually every episode of TNG and VOY, much of DS9, a lot of TOS, and several films (plus roles in TAS). Probably around 600 or more.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

As it should be, Majel was great.

(Please none of the Trek thread historians come in and tell me she was actually a milkshake duck, in my book the first lady of Trek is unimpeachable, even if she did marry an awful creeplord)

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
I am having trouble articulating exactly why I don't like Wesley as a character. So far I'v come up with:

1. Bit of a pussy
2. Bad acting

Would anyone else care to provide their thoughts, feelings and emotions?

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

how the hell was obrien never in a movie? this is bullshit

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The Scientist posted:

I am having trouble articulating exactly why I don't like Wesley as a character. So far I'v come up with:

1. Bit of a pussy
2. Bad acting

Would anyone else care to provide their thoughts, feelings and emotions?

-Was written as an amazing wonderkid who was just as smart if not smarter than the adults.
-Had no real chemistry or sense of parent/child bond with his mom.
-The plots centered around him were bad.

Contrast with Jake
-Is a normal fuckup kid actually going through all the poo poo of growing up.
-Has an amazingly real and strong relationship with his dad.
-The plots centered around him were good. Nojay consortium.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Him trying to be a journalist during the occupation was kind of insufferable, but believably and relatedly insufferable.

Sheltered kid, lovely roommate, not a bad guy otherwise

THS
Sep 15, 2017

jake sisko not being some ambitious star fleet wannabe was cool as hell compared to wesley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
In this voyager episode, the doctor has to pretend to be kes’s dad so he can rub her feet until her tongue swells so neelix can impregnate her. Deviantart hadn’t even been invented in 1995, and yet