Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

Weiss was like the avatar of Omega Weapon, channeling its power in opposition to Vincent's Chaos.

I don't remember how or why for any of this but that was the idea of DoC's plot. I remember a lot of nerdy Power Level discussions back in my youth about the strongest characters in FFVII and Chaos Vincent and Omega Weiss came up a lot.

It's stupider than that. Hojo uploaded a copy of his brain onto the internet before he died from his wounds in the boss fight with Cloud and company. Years later, he more or less sent a spam email and the dinguses in DEEPGROUND opened it and released him in their servers. He then somehow downloaded his consciousness onto Weiss' body, because I guess the writers wanted him and Vincent to have an epic battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

amigolupus posted:

It's stupider than that. Hojo uploaded a copy of his brain onto the internet before he died from his wounds in the boss fight with Cloud and company. Years later, he more or less sent a spam email and the dinguses in DEEPGROUND opened it and released him in their servers. He then somehow downloaded his consciousness onto Weiss' body, because I guess the writers wanted him and Vincent to have an epic battle.

I remember enough about DoC that Weiss, at the end, overpowers Hojo's virus personality thing and he just continues on with being Omega and doing stuff because....uh.....

There was cool music!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

amigolupus posted:

The thing that baffles me about this is that there's build up to this moment. Hojo's face is left in shadow the whole game, despite the fact that he's kind of an important character in VII, so of course you'd already know who he is.

And then he's finally revealed and... he's killed off in phase one of the final boss' penultimate form. :shrug:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Dirge of Cerberus made me hate Lucrecia. I mean, she probably wasn't all that great in the original game, but man. Here was a woman who just could not stop loving up.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

I mean whats the point of a giant robot if it can't vore, honestly.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I have a strict rule against pre-ordering or buying from gamestop, but I really want that stupid shinra keycard preorder from gamestop so I guess I'm breaking my rules, can't wait for them to be out of the keycards or preorder me the wrong version like usual.

Gologle posted:

Dirge of Cerberus made me hate Lucrecia. I mean, she probably wasn't all that great in the original game, but man. Here was a woman who just could not stop loving up.

Having never played DoC, I always thought of her has just having Vincent on the hook HARD while on the side she was banging Hojo. I could be wrong though, I never cared too much for Vincent's story bits.

Dell_Zincht posted:

Hell, I just wanna know why he rented a room at the Honeybee Inn for his parents, in order to spy on them(!)

I never knew that those 2 were his parents. Was that the same couple you meet earlier in that house where they're like "he brought us nothing but trouble when he was here but now that he's gone we miss him"?

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 16, 2020

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I never knew that those 2 were his parents. Was that the same couple you meet earlier in that house where they're like "he brought us nothing but trouble when he was here but now that he's gone we miss him"?

Those people were Johnny's parents, weren't they?

One of the lines of dialogue in the Honeybee Inn scene mentions that their son is a high ranking Shinra official. That plus the Cait Sith doll strongly suggests they're referring to Reeve.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Gologle posted:

When your character's catchphrase is "I'm so sorry", you've probably done a terrible job making them likable.

Especially when the game keeps flashing back to things that show why they're so unlikable. :argh:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The closest thing to a likable character in that game was Yuffie, the Ninja Who Can't Stop Falling Down

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ironically, the Let's Play TDI did of that game involved plenty of making GBS threads on Yuffie from everyone in the thread. Granted, they'd probably still agree with that assessment.

Come to think of it, when did everyone finally turn around on Yuffie? I remember a lot of hate for her years ago, with people saying things like "No one uses Cait Sith and Yuffie".

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Mar 16, 2020

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
Whats so great about a shinra keycard?

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
It lets you get access to floors 60+

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
Oh like so you can go to the gym and workout after or before work? That would be an awesome perk to be honest

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Ironically, the Let's Play TDI did of that game involved plenty of making GBS threads on Yuffie from everyone in the thread. Granted, they'd probably still agree with that assessment.

Come to think of it, when did everyone finally turn around on Yuffie? I remember a lot of hate for her years ago, with people saying things like "No one uses Cait Sith and Yuffie".

Just kidding! NOBODY likes you!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Chieves posted:

Just kidding! NOBODY likes you!

Man, it's been forever since I've seen a Legendary Frog video.

I feel old.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

My guess is that it was around the time people realized Yuffie's LV3 Limit Break had good DPS that they started liking her. I also remember goons liking Yuffie a lot more during Elentor's LP, when we were shown how Yuffie had some amazing lines, and how she was the closest thing in the group who reacts like any sane person would.

"Oh, you're telling me the guy that murdered President Shinra and a whole bunch of dudes is currently in the ship's hold? And you want to go down there and confront him? Well don't put me in the frikkin' party then!"

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

amigolupus posted:

My guess is that it was around the time people realized Yuffie's LV3 Limit Break had good DPS that they started liking her. I also remember goons liking Yuffie a lot more during Elentor's LP, when we were shown how Yuffie had some amazing lines, and how she was the closest thing in the group who reacts like any sane person would.

"Oh, you're telling me the guy that murdered President Shinra and a whole bunch of dudes is currently in the ship's hold? And you want to go down there and confront him? Well don't put me in the frikkin' party then!"

Is there a mechanical reason people dont like yuffie or is it all personality?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Dyz posted:

Is there a mechanical reason people dont like yuffie or is it all personality?

She's pretty strong mechanically. Inherent long range, one of the better limit breaks, ultimate weapon is good for morphing and strong enough in general. Personality wise she's mostly known for being really annoying to recruit without a guide and for that time she steals all your poo poo. Given that she's optional, she doesn't really do that much when she's not in your party. So if you aren't using her, your main impression of her is going to be that she's annoying.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Yuffie owns. Last time I fought Emerald Weapon she did most of the damage by counterattacking for 9999 like a dozen times every time she got it. It was great.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpUZkvkVXj0

I don't know if it's just me, but Reno and Sephiroth both look like they have the same face and it weirdly annoys me.

EDIT: Jessie, Biggs, and Wedge are absolutely still going to die and I'm going to hate it.

Gologle fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 16, 2020

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Mechanically Yuffie is probably one of the better characters in the game, but the power curve in FFVII is pretty flat on most styles of playthroughs.

The only notable character specific spikes over the course of the normal game that I can think of are Red XIII's Seraph Comb from Cosmo Canyon->Mideel which gives him the highest displayed attack in the party during that period, Tifa's Powersoul with Death Sentence + critical HP, and Vincent's two 255 accuracy weapons paired with Deathblow for easy crits.

Late game, Yuffie is useful for farming because she has the best Morph command thanks to Conformer.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Im doing a FFVII replay right now, with a bunch of mods that make it look a lot better. However, i'm looking for a mod that may not exist.

That would be, a mod that alters the damage calculations for ultimate weapons. I want to use Tifa, but her final weapon is just so awful because it gets power based on her limit gauge. Does anyone know of any mod that makes her ultimate weapon work more in line with the other characters? I've searched and can't seem to find one.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I read a theory on the FF wiki that Tifa's weapon has a typo in the formula that causes it to suck. Namely, that a modifier was supposed to make it deal 1x damage at empty limit instead of like 0x and scale up to 5x at full limit break 4.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCAJADlLg9g

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

bro this is game is gonna be so good bro

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wish they'd release it early so we can all play it before the mass riots begin

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Still trying to decide if I still want the steelbook version or just the regular one.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I appreciate nomuras dedication to chuunism by making sure he was shot for the interview slouched in the dark, with shiny hair. Also his statement of "So to remind myself of the game I went and watched a bunch of let's plays

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Onmi posted:

chuunism

I tried googling this to find out what it means and got no results.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Onmi posted:

I appreciate nomuras dedication to chuunism by making sure he was shot for the interview slouched in the dark, with shiny hair. Also his statement of "So to remind myself of the game I went and watched a bunch of let's plays

god i hope one of them was Elentor's

kman3022
Mar 13, 2020

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think it is a reference to chunibyo in actual Japanese culture. Not positive.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

If you were being serious,

TV Tropes posted:

Chuunibyou (中二病 / 厨二病), often shortened to chuuni or chuu2, is an often-derisive Japanese slang term for the embarrassing behavior of 13-to-14-year-olds. The term literally means "Middle [School] 2[nd Year] Syndrome" (often translated as "Eighth-Grader Syndrome" in US media). Despite the name, it can manifest in people of all ages.

As a colloquial term, the exact "symptoms" of chuunibyou aren't entirely set in stone, but in general, a chuuni acts like a Know-Nothing Know-It-All who thinks of themselves as more awesome than everyone else because of experiences, abilities, and even special powers that they clearly don't have. Imagine a kid trying to convince you (in the most obnoxious way possible) that they're an accomplished Ninja who could kick your rear end, and you kind of have the idea.
The three main "types" are people who pretend they're hardcore when they have clearly never been in a real fight, used hard drugs, or been more than mildly inconvenienced by life even; people who pretend to be part of a "cool" subculture without knowing much of anything about it beyond maybe aesthetics (like someone wearing a mohawk at an office party to be "punk"); and people who pretend they've got special powers and a real identity of like Elvendish Angelkiller when they're not forced to hold back their power level to prevent destroying society; might try using a lot of foreign language they think sounds cool but don't really understand. Doesn't have to specifically be those, but affecting traits like that is the basic gist and "chuunism" can just be being quirky in that manner. (Although the term originates in Japan, they themselves see the roots in works like Don Quixote.)

Hogama fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 17, 2020

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

So I'm planning to pickup a PS4 for this game.

It also coincides with a global shutdown.

If I'm locked at home I can still download from the PS Store or whatever, right?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Walked posted:

So I'm planning to pickup a PS4 for this game.

It also coincides with a global shutdown.

If I'm locked at home I can still download from the PS Store or whatever, right?

yeah

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Q Anon has revealed that Square-Enix engineered COVID-19 to force people into quarantine to buy and play FFVIIR.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You mean the Proto Corona?

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Don Corona

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Scalding Coffee posted:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hogama posted:

If you were being serious,

The three main "types" are people who pretend they're hardcore when they have clearly never been in a real fight, used hard drugs, or been more than mildly inconvenienced by life even; people who pretend to be part of a "cool" subculture without knowing much of anything about it beyond maybe aesthetics (like someone wearing a mohawk at an office party to be "punk"); and people who pretend they've got special powers and a real identity of like Elvendish Angelkiller when they're not forced to hold back their power level to prevent destroying society; might try using a lot of foreign language they think sounds cool but don't really understand. Doesn't have to specifically be those, but affecting traits like that is the basic gist and "chuunism" can just be being quirky in that manner. (Although the term originates in Japan, they themselves see the roots in works like Don Quixote.)

I genuinely did want to know. So it's basically the kind of energy that comes from the type of kid who would talk about how the Marines tried to recruit him because he's such a deadly shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

No it's CORONA. We first have to deal with CORONA: Birth though