Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but is there anything in the new The Invisible Man that explicitly rules out the possibility that it's part of the Dark Universe Cinematic Universe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Gripweed posted:

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but is there anything in the new The Invisible Man that explicitly rules out the possibility that it's part of the Dark Universe Cinematic Universe?

Yeah, it didn't suck.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gripweed posted:

Lack of big name actors?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Apparently Elizabeth Banks's Invisible Woman project is entirely unconnected to this one?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

flashy_mcflash posted:

Apparently Elizabeth Banks's Invisible Woman project is entirely unconnected to this one?

Invisible Woman? Is it about female directors during Oscar season?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

Explicitly? Well. The Invisible Man dies, so that rules out a lot of possibilities. Two possibilities remain: Celia has an invisible suit and could Ms. 45 around with invisibility, but that doesn't make sense for the character; and we only see two suits. They could be Adrienne's own suits. He may have already sold some to the highest bidders.

That said, Blumhouse is already working on a self-contained Dracula film. Universal's just giving Blumhouse all of their monster properties for self-contained stories. The smarter move, really.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

They should split the Universals into three and give a third to Blum, a third to A24, and a third to Spectrevision.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Day 1 of working from home, guess I'd better start working my way through the TSZDT list.

https://letterboxd.com/jhillman/list/they-shoot-zombies-dont-they-the-1000-greatest-4/

and/or the Exorcist tv show

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

COOL CORN posted:

and/or the Exorcist tv show

I really need to watch that. I caught most of the first season, and didn't know the second season happened until this thread mentioned it a while back.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
For anyone who is stuck inside and wants to binge some horror movies, Shudder has a 30-day free trial right now. I think their normal trial is only 7 days.

https://twitter.com/Shudder/status/1239250680503730176?s=20

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Burkion posted:

That's the intention with Noroi, yeah. That's why even the subs look like poo poo

thanks. took a little getting used to but it worked in the film's favor overall, although in a couple scenes I couldn't tell what was happening at all (like the tinfoil guy's apartment). awesome film though!

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

This is a really good article about the real life boy who inspired The Exorcist novel:

http://www.strangemag.com/exorcistpage1.html

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

does anyone know where tf i can watch red spirit lake its not even on :files:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

I came across this and figured I'd share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goXi7w-1dCA

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/1239632039269335042

Guess I'll watch The Hunt after all

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Still gonna be a pass from me until I whittle my Shudder queue down some more.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Imagine being stuck at home with access to literally almost every movie ever made and you watch a Blumhouse movie LMAO

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Yeah it sure would suck to watch GET OUT or US again

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Kvlt! posted:

Imagine being stuck at home with access to literally almost every movie ever made and you watch a Blumhouse movie LMAO

Yo, this thread have a Blumhouse challenge yet?

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I agree, you can't make me watch Us again.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kvlt! posted:

the whole thing with Blumhouse is that they poo poo out a bajillion movies a year, with no regard for quality beyond "has someone vaguely marketable involved" and "can be made for 15ish million."

the result of this is that a lot of their movies are just absolute piles of crap, but they occasionally produce a legit gem and don't gently caress with it. the Purge movies are great past the original, Upgrade loving whips rear end, they're responsible for both of Jordan Peele's big movies, and while I'm not huge on the Conjuring/Insidious movies they're solidly fine.

but then for every one of those they make ten mediocre movies that everyone forgets about within five minutes, and a couple real stinkers like The Hunt.

so really, there's nothing inherently wrong with Blumhouse, any more than there's anything inherently wrong with Roger Corman or Troma. you just, like with those producers, have to be kind of judicious about what you watch from them, and if it looks bad, assume it is.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

that was fast

https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/321512/full-moons-corona-zombies-coming-next-month/

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tertius Oculum posted:

Yo, this thread have a Blumhouse challenge yet?

Speak on that.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

blumhouse challenge: watch all the blumhouse movies without hanging yourself

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I'll never watch a Blumhouse movie, but I'll defend to the death their right to produce schlock on an industrial level.

A millions monkeys operating a million typewriters will eventually yield a John Carpenter film.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

I'll never watch a Blumhouse movie, but I'll defend to the death their right to produce schlock on an industrial level.

A millions monkeys operating a million typewriters will eventually yield a John Carpenter film.

Hey maybe no one told you this, but this is a thread for people that actually enjoy and engage horror films. Most of us hang our cynicism at the thread's door so we can chill and enjoy stuff. We only let Kvlt! run amock because he's a literal child and he needs the exercise.

Kvlt! posted:

blumhouse challenge: watch all the blumhouse movies without hanging yourself

Good Blumhouse movies: Rob Zombie's The Lords of Salem, Get Out, Ma (is okay), Invisible Man, Halloween, Sweetheart (heard good things, haven't seen it yet, but I trust those that recommend it), Upgrade, Creep series, Unfriended Dark Web, parts of Sinister, two acts of Insidious.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 16, 2020

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Blumhouse is just a studio, not a creator. Plenty of talented folks have worked with Blumhouse and made great movies. And yes, they've also pushed out a lot of drek. They're a studio, that's what they do.

No one complains about Universal because Jurassic World was awful.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Charles Band seems like a pretty scummy dude. Like, Corman’s an exploitation man through and through, but Charles Band comes off more like a confidence man you’d see out of a movie from the 40s or 50s.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ruddiger posted:

Charles Band seems like a pretty scummy dude. Like, Corman’s an exploitation man through and through, but Charles Band comes off more like a confidence man you’d see out of a movie from the 40s or 50s.

Reminder that the latest Puppet Master movie (the series that built Full Moon Studios), The Littlest Reich, is actually pro-Nazi. As in, the Nazi puppets are the good guys.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The only thing you need to know about Charles Band is that he loving loves dolls and puppets. Or maybe it's loves loving.

Either way at least 50 percent of his films and I ave no facts to base this on feature a puppet or a doll.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hollismason posted:

The only thing you need to know about Charles Band is that he loving loves dolls and puppets. Or maybe it's loves loving.

Either way at least 50 percent of his films and I ave no facts to base this on feature a puppet or a doll.

The man definitely has some kind of tiny person fetish almost all of his films involve really small people

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Blumhouse challenge: specifically watch all of the Into The Dark movies

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

Good Blumhouse movies: Rob Zombie's The Lords of Salem, Get Out, Ma (is okay), Invisible Man, Halloween, Sweetheart (heard good things, haven't seen it yet, but I trust those that recommend it), Upgrade, Creep series, Unfriended Dark Web, parts of Sinister, two acts of Insidious.

also all the Purge sequels (especially The First Purge), Cam, Split, Happy Death Day (and the sequel is ok), Hush, Oculus, The Visit (arguably, I liked it)

I don’t think their batting average is much worse than most other studios really

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Shrecknet posted:

Reminder that the latest Puppet Master movie (the series that built Full Moon Studios), The Littlest Reich, is actually pro-Nazi. As in, the Nazi puppets are the good guys.

Full Moon also didn't actually make that one, to be fair.

e: additionally, while the Puppet Master movies that deal with Nazis are often bad they're pretty solidly anti-Nazi. This is a large chunk of why Littlest Reich made people so mad, actually.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Full Moon also didn't actually make that one, to be fair.

e: additionally, while the Puppet Master movies that deal with Nazis are often bad they're pretty solidly anti-Nazi. This is a large chunk of why Littlest Reich made people so mad, actually.

And the times when one of the Puppets was a Nazi, that was when they were the bad guys as well.

Basically in any movie before Littlest Reich, Nazi equaled Bad Guy

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Someone looked at the state of the world and said "sure, Nazis are always the bad guys but what if we mix that up?"

And then a bunch of people gave them money to make it, participated in it and made it possible, and then distributed and advertised it. Why Thomas Lennon? Why do I have to see you this way now?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Thomas Lennon's a good human, and has talked before about how he basically has to take every role he gets offered so he can both be an actor as his main job and, y'know, pay for rent and food. It's also entirely possible he just got his sides and not the whole script, in which case you can reasonably assume he had no clue what he was getting into.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Thomas Lennon's a good human, and has talked before about how he basically has to take every role he gets offered so he can both be an actor as his main job and, y'know, pay for rent and food. It's also entirely possible he just got his sides and not the whole script, in which case you can reasonably assume he had no clue what he was getting into.

Even if he had the script, I can imagine it not reading as pro-nazi. The way the kills were shot and presented is what makes it clear that this is for people who get off on seeing minorities gruesomely murdered

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm not saying Thomas Lennon is a nazi or anything. And to be clear, I haven't seen the movie and have no taste to. I take if for your guys' word and the little I know that its pro-Nazi and gross.

I didn't mean to call him out like he has some special responsibility or Naziness. He was just the name I recognized and I thought it illustrated how like it sounds real hosed up that movie got made by a bunch of people and liked by a bunch more. I'm sure he's just a dude who made a choice about a job to take and I may not like that choice and it may be in the back of my mind next time I see him in something, but it doesn't make him a Nazi by default or anything.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
And I didn't mean to come off hostile; it's just a topic that's been hashed out here before, and I figured it might be helpful to throw out the conclusion we all came to.