Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The Hanna-Barbera comics include Snagglepuss saying the f-word

It even won a GLAAD.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exit,_Stage_Left!:_The_Snagglepuss_Chronicles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Turns out that it doesn't matter if movies get delayed because now theaters are just straight up being closed down. SF, LA and the tri-state New York area have all shut down their movie theaters.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Now if I was in the movie business I'd contemplate putting movies that should have come out around now on Amazon rental for say $10, which a lot of limited release movies already do.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

muscles like this! posted:

Turns out that it doesn't matter if movies get delayed because now theaters are just straight up being closed down. SF, LA and the tri-state New York area have all shut down their movie theaters.

I'm in SF and I haven't heard any communication from AMC about shutting down, just halving capacity. I should probably suspend my A-list for a few months, though.

Too bad the world will never know the brilliance of Bloodshot*

*This is sarcasm, I haven't seen Bloodshot and I'm not willing to risk my health on this dumb movie.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 16, 2020

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

Now if I was in the movie business I'd contemplate putting movies that should have come out around now on Amazon rental for say $10, which a lot of limited release movies already do.

I wouldn't be shocked to see some of that, but the studios also need to deal with production being slowed down by the pandemic. Much of what is being delayed due to people not going to theaters now is going to take the spot of future releases that will have to be delayed because they can't get finished on schedule.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Casimir Radon posted:

Speak of the devil
https://twitter.com/frankpallotta/status/1239620086077575168?s=21

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

EDIT: lol beaten

Trolls World Tour isn't being delayed, they are doing the opposite and also releasing it on streaming same day

quote:

In addition to DreamWorks Animation’s Trolls World Tour, set to open in theaters on April 10 in North America, NBCUniversal will also make movies that are currently in theatrical release available on-demand starting as early as Friday, March 20.

Those titles include Universal's The Hunt and The Invisible Man, as well as Focus Features' Emma.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/nbcuniversal-breaks-theatrical-window-will-make-movies-available-demand-immediately-1284844

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm in SF and I haven't heard any communication from AMC about shutting down, just halving capacity. I should probably suspend my A-list for a few months, though.

Shelter in place for us in the bay area starting tomo https://www.sfchronicle.com/local-politics/article/Bay-Area-must-shelter-in-place-Only-15135014.php

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Troll's marketing gimmick is this: You know no one else will be there. It's the safest place you can be.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

I was really hoping they'd do this. Gonna catch Invisible Man this week, then, since I didn't manage to last week.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Same here in Louisiana effective at midnight and going through April 13th.

Sorry, film industry :smithicide:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Regal Cinemas have announced that they're closing all their theaters until further notice.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Regal Cinemas have announced that they're closing all their theaters until further notice.
Marcus announced that they were going to only sell half the seats and encourage distancing, but maybe now they'll just close.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

Marcus announced that they were going to only sell half the seats and encourage distancing, but maybe now they'll just close.

Regal did the same thing originally before announcing the shutdown.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Casimir Radon posted:

as a marcus employee we weren't selling up to 50% capacity without this loving virus. i'm still not convinced they'll do the right thing a second before being forced to; last year during the cold-snap in the midwest that shut down every other theater, chain or otherwise, Marcus kept open and offered people free Hot Chocolate, which was just infuriating

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm already wondering what next week's box office will be like. Every movie is The D Train!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

DeWine closed every recreational venue today

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The local indy theater has closed but Cinemark seems to proceeding forward without any restrictions.

E: they are cutting staff with no pay though due to low attendance.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

DC Murderverse posted:

as a marcus employee we weren't selling up to 50% capacity without this loving virus. i'm still not convinced they'll do the right thing a second before being forced to; last year during the cold-snap in the midwest that shut down every other theater, chain or otherwise, Marcus kept open and offered people free Hot Chocolate, which was just infuriating

the latest word out of Marcus-World is that we aren't gonna close theaters unless forced to by a government, federal, state or local. there may be something in the works for helping employees of theaters closed but they really really don't want to.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
alamo drafthouse will probably have some kinda "throw your spoons at the webcam!" thing

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Landmark Theaters and Alamo Drafthouse are both closing while AMC is enacting a new policy where theaters will either be at 50% capacity or 50 people, whichever is less.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I'm confused cuz LA said they would shutter it all and AMC is saying 50% capacity so...which comes first

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

50% of 0

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Let us not forget that Sonic is now the highest grossing movie in the US based on video games.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The MSJ posted:

Let us not forget that Sonic is now the highest grossing movie in the US based on video games.

I mean it's also probably in the top 5 in terms of unironic quality. This is not a high bar, mind you.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Surprise, surprise:

https://twitter.com/nzherald/status/1239791485706362880

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Funny because Avatar 2-4 has been in production long enough to vote, and NZ is where you secretly move your assets to avoid this kind of thing.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Funny because Avatar 2-4 has been in production long enough to vote...

The first Avatar came out in 2009, where do eleven year olds vote other than the Kid’s Choice Awards?

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think that's what you call a hyperbowl, chief

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That’s Chief, you disrespectful buttplug.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
welp

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1239789463611604993?s=20

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The UK cinema chains have shut today. It's surreal to go to the Odeon site and see "closed until further notice."

I'm not enjoying this slightly less grim Contagion LARP.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Iowa's governor has ordered movie theaters (and pretty much everything else) to shut down starting at noon today, which is in an hour and a half from now. We're scrambling because that's really really short notice, but we'll see if AMC/Regal/multiple state governments push Marcus to close everything.

I honestly don't have the highest hopes for that@

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Local paper says that Marcus theaters in Nebraska are closed now as of an hour ago.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Cineplex and Landmark in Canada are closed

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Funny because Avatar 2-4 has been in production long enough to vote, and NZ is where you secretly move your assets to avoid this kind of thing.

The Avatar sequels are never going to be coming out at this rate. It's just a colossal vaporfilm.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So far haven't heard anything from Cinemark, which is weird because aren't they fairly big?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Black Widow delayed.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
She's the late Black Widow, anyway.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Enos Cabell posted:

Local paper says that Marcus theaters in Nebraska are closed now as of an hour ago.

yeah Marcus is closing their locations now. i'm surprised they went before Cinemark honestly. they're offering some money to employees who work more than 15 hours a week, but not a whole lot. The warning we got said they expected to be open in 14 days but i'm thinking it will be longer than that, especially with Black Widow dropping out. there's nothing for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Black Widow delayed.
Studios can't just put their upcoming movies on VOD like The Invisible Man/The Hunt/Emma/Birds of Prey? Those are costing $20, so it seems like they would make more money from that than a ticket sold in theaters. Plus a shitton of people are stuck at home and looking for something to do, so it seems like there would be a huge market for this. But maybe I'm wrong?

Maybe movies without a theatrical release are disqualified from being nominated for an Oscar or something?