Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

I don't think it's an attempt to make light of things

I don't necessarily mean everyone involved with producing or disseminating those kinds of stats is trying to make light of things, its just that whenever that kind of thing comes up its used that way by politicians or people desperate for normalcy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Broken Machine posted:

it depends on what percentage of people need hospitalization. once hospitals are overwhelmed, it doesn't much matter if you would have lived with treatment, and death rates are going to go way up

hospital overwhelmed is gonna spike unrelated deaths too like heart attacks and strokes and poo poo

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Penisface posted:

so far the most scariest thing i have seen is the LA photo with lines outside the gun shop and to be honest i think if i was living there i would have been in that line too

stay safe us goons

escape from la is a documentary

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody posted:

hospital overwhelmed is gonna spike unrelated deaths too like heart attacks and strokes and poo poo

bad time to get a toothache

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Bloody posted:

not to be all gloomy... things are going to be fine!

however

looks like we may have about ~1000 or so people who need hospitalization for every bed available.

quote:

Let’s do some fuzzy math. The population of Hennepin County is 1.25 million. Experts have said somewhere between 20 to 60 percent of Americans are likely to contract COVID-19. That won’t be evenly distributed across the country. But for the purposes of this thought experiment, let’s say 20 percent of Hennepin County residents get COVID-19 and, as in the Chinese study, 19 percent are severe or critical cases and would require hospitalization. That’s 47,000 people. On a given day, Hennepin Healthcare’s hospital network might have 21 empty beds. The Hennepin Healthcare network doesn’t include all the hospitals in Hennepin County, but it’s unlikely that other facilities have way more extra beds sitting around.

i can't even imagine what it's like for doctors and aprns to have to decide, okay i have 20 patients and 3 ventilators, who has a family? who seems healthier? because people couldn't stop going out to bars. hard to believe there's a political schism over whether to take it seriously

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Broken Machine posted:

from the main corona thread on c-spam:

i rly needed goon estimates thx op

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
a friend of a friend is in med school. he just threw a "coronavirus party". people are loving idiots.

Kind Friend
Sep 9, 2013

looks like the bay area is about to go on pseudo-lockdown

https://www.sfchronicle.com/local-politics/article/Bay-Area-must-shelter-in-place-Only-15135014.php

I missed my loving chance to leave. gently caress. Looks like I may have to un-quit my job because I don't see how I'm gonna be able to move.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Kind Friend posted:

looks like the bay area is about to go on pseudo-lockdown

https://www.sfchronicle.com/local-politics/article/Bay-Area-must-shelter-in-place-Only-15135014.php

I missed my loving chance to leave. gently caress. Looks like I may have to un-quit my job because I don't see how I'm gonna be able to move.

quote:

People who are homeless are exempt from the order but encouraged to find shelter.

lmao

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Stuck at home goals: get a cert ?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Fatal Error posted:

a friend of a friend is in med school. he just threw a "coronavirus party". people are loving idiots.

Masque of the Shithead Death

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
canada's borders are shutting down

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just realized that the TEK-9s gang tag changes from amber to green depending on the rest of the style sheet.

Thanks WFH!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

SmokaDustbowl posted:

canada's borders are shutting down

other than the one with the US

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

just got off the phone with my dad. his quote, 'the history books will look back at this in the same light as h. g. wells 'war of the worlds'. biggest unnecessary panic ever'

fortunately they're out in the middle of nowhere and hate crowds anyways. he told me that if everyone would just listen to the cdc and who then we'd all be fine. i was going to point out that both entities are telling people to shelter in place but gently caress it

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
yep work just texted out about the lock down; I guess I'm ahead of the curve by working from home now!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my only personal disappointment is that my team was already so good at remote work that this hasn’t really slowed our velocity much. I have tons to do

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003
working from home goons whatup

just got the call today

got my poopsocks and my vpns and im ready to go in this motherfucker

EDIT: lol gently caress that, i'm making GBS threads on company time like whoa

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

https://twitter.com/i/status/1239382583923757066

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
wife sent me some pix of downtown and they're crazy, market street is just deserted.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i went to a supermarket today in vermont, and i kind of figured maybe vermonters were being less panicky but no, we're out of toilet paper too

humans, what can you do

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

doctors orders not to work thx bug

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
wfh home through april 6 minimum

should have started last week.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I'm on the second wave list for being sent home from work (probably be stepped up now that boris has decided to shut the country down or whatever) which I don't really mind about but people in the first wave were going "oh I only have a 13 inch laptop this is going to be really hard" and juts drat how do these people even use something like that.

I've got dual 27 inch wide screen monitors because I'm a turbo nerd, allowing me to have one on yospos at all times

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo we just got told that us pharmacists can give the flu vax free to everyone who qualifies for it free usually at the GP and from
today rather than 1st april

wowo

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Isn’t this some performance artist in Portland?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

echinopsis posted:

poo poo we just got told that us pharmacists can give the flu vax free to everyone who qualifies for it free usually at the GP and from
today rather than 1st april

wowo

i think i remember you were stocking extra too?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/iresimpsonsfans/status/1239526974793670658

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Agile Vector posted:

i think i remember you were stocking extra too?

I got in more than we did last year. problem is it’s typical market bullshit, can only return up to ten vaccines at the end of the year so if you get too many it’ll cost ya. stupid

hate it all. the regulations that are necessary are giving me reason to work from 6am till 8pm to get it ready. I feel so overwhelmed and snowed under and there’s no reprieve, it’s important stuff that needs to get to help the community so I can keep chugging but I hate it all lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
nice “hard work” ya bus riding seatbelt wearer

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
kind of a neat representation from the washington post about how the coronavirus spread can be slowed down by staying home. share it with your stupid relatives and other acquaintances who think they don’t have any social responsibility to help mitigate this thing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

lancemantis posted:

Isn’t this some performance artist in Portland?

my only Portland experience has been a few episodes of portlandia, so no idea...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

In case anyone is interested, the "locks" on institutional toilet paper dispensers can be pried open with any small flat object like a motorcycle key

No particular reason that I know this, just a factoid

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

In case anyone is interested, the "locks" on institutional toilet paper dispensers can be pried open with any small flat object like a motorcycle key

No particular reason that I know this, just a factoid

bout to get my coworkers and hit work hq like an mmo raid

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

President Beep posted:

kind of a neat representation from the washington post about how the coronavirus spread can be slowed down by staying home. share it with your stupid relatives and other acquaintances who think they don’t have any social responsibility to help mitigate this thing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/

what if your parents will see washington post and yell fake news hysteria

those are good models for educating anyone willing to be educated though

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

also thread theme song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQs54Jb8Uh4

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

triple post: it'll be real tempting to do this but do not do this. yeah gently caress work i don't care about that- you'll feel like poo poo. get out of bed at the same time, take a shower, get dressed, use your lack of commute to cook yourself a nice breakfast. it makes a huge difference in your mental well being

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

PIZZA.BAT posted:

what if your parents will see washington post and yell fake news hysteria

he’ll, same

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

PIZZA.BAT posted:

triple post: it'll be real tempting to do this but do not do this. yeah gently caress work i don't care about that- you'll feel like poo poo. get out of bed at the same time, take a shower, get dressed, use your lack of commute to cook yourself a nice breakfast. it makes a huge difference in your mental well being

as a literal shut in this is true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

PIZZA.BAT posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qky7zaS5eTM