Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

PIZZA.BAT posted:

triple post: it'll be real tempting to do this but do not do this. yeah gently caress work i don't care about that- you'll feel like poo poo. get out of bed at the same time, take a shower, get dressed, use your lack of commute to cook yourself a nice breakfast. it makes a huge difference in your mental well being

yep. wouldn't mind having my commute back though - i walk to work and i'm missing the activity. and i think even though its a hopelessly unphysical office job i move around at the office a lot more than i do at home too. started using the long-neglected exercise bike and its helping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

PIZZA.BAT posted:

triple post: it'll be real tempting to do this but do not do this. yeah gently caress work i don't care about that- you'll feel like poo poo. get out of bed at the same time, take a shower, get dressed, use your lack of commute to cook yourself a nice breakfast. it makes a huge difference in your mental well being

do this, I’m having the healthiest tastiest breakfasts at the moment and it rocks.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I have to renew my apartment lease in may, I wonder if that'll happen or if I'll go straight up squatter

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Squattings free

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

lancemantis posted:

Squattings free

the building is already so hosed up it once took them 10 days to cash my rent cheque

also if there's disruption of the alberta government I might not get my disability and can't pay the rent anyway so lmao

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I'm literally at the bottom socially and in terms of class so this can get very bad for me in terms of getting sick and homelessness

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
if I die nobody will find me and I'll just be a stain lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

you should set up a dead mans switch to spam the forums with anime if you go

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

fart simpson posted:

you should set up a dead mans switch to spam the forums with anime if you go

when I stop posting anime, that is when I've truly died

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI0gwjg0h2E

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Base Emitter posted:

yep. wouldn't mind having my commute back though - i walk to work and i'm missing the activity. and i think even though its a hopelessly unphysical office job i move around at the office a lot more than i do at home too. started using the long-neglected exercise bike and its helping.

you're allowed to go for a walk outside

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
walking from the computer chair to the shitter counts right

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

don't gently caress up working remotely if you don't suck rear end at it you might get to keep it after the apocalypse and it is the best perk I've ever had in a job

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

e: sweden does have two big advantages working for it though: very sparsely populated, and we send all our elders off to die in nursing homes at the earliest possible convenience. so might also be a matter of what suits the place.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%84ttestupa

quote:

The name supposedly denotes sites where ritual senicide took place during Nordic prehistoric times, whereby elderly people threw themselves, or were thrown, to their deaths. According to legend, this was done when old people were unable to support themselves or assist in a household.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i complained about the chair situation at home to my manager and he told me to steal one from the office and bring it back afterwards, lol

or buy and expense one, depending on which was more convenient. owns.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
anyone got any really-nice-but-still-reasonably-priced chair recs?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

qirex posted:

my only personal disappointment is that my team was already so good at remote work that this hasn’t really slowed our velocity much. I have tons to do

yeah in hindsight I shouldn’t have insisted that I was so good at working from home that I could do it all the time

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I’m planning on not returning my car lease, and also not buying it out, in a month if this poo poo is still going on because I’m not going to a car dealership gently caress that what a waste of time and a huge risk. I’m not going to buy it though because I want to save the money in case I need it.

come try and tow it. I dare you. your tow truck will get stuck and now I have a tow truck AND a car.

gently caress you capitalism go gently caress your self what are you going to do now bitch

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Bloody posted:

don't gently caress up working remotely if you don't suck rear end at it you might get to keep it after the apocalypse and it is the best perk I've ever had in a job

lol if u think bosses can make rational decisions. just lmao

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
wfh has been kind of a mixed experience. I’m sick with a lovely cold and also still having to work my rear end off. at least i don’t have to deal with dummies walking into my office with inane questions every 3.7 minutes though.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Stereotype posted:

I’m planning on not returning my car lease, and also not buying it out, in a month if this poo poo is still going on because I’m not going to a car dealership gently caress that what a waste of time and a huge risk. I’m not going to buy it though because I want to save the money in case I need it.

come try and tow it. I dare you. your tow truck will get stuck and now I have a tow truck AND a car.

gently caress you capitalism go gently caress your self what are you going to do now bitch

defaulting on a leased vehicle may wreck your credit. i mean, lots of people are going to be screwed over on this but still. i'd just contact the dealership and talk to them about your concerns. alternately just buy a cheap but functional grand or two car in the meantime and have fun

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

lol every time another region's day starts and people start joining calls our conference lines flip out and boot everybody

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
current wfh status: rdp gets disconnected literally every 3 minutes

it only does this for some people tho so its not bc the VPN is making GBS threads the bed (which it also is so rdp is super slow between the disconnects)

PurdWerfect
Aug 29, 2000

shelter in place enacted here.

on Monday had a session with my new therapist via phone and that went okay.

my immediate neighbors and I have created a small email group and phone tree that we can use to communicate with each other in case anyone needs some help. seeing that echoed on NextDoor.

not sure how people go to sleep sober. was taliking with a friend and she now has groceries but can't really remember the last time she cooked. time to relearn old skills.

it feels surreal, but also a positive slowing down.

the most concerning thing right now is all the people I know who work in the service industry. they effectively just lost all of their income for an indeterminate amount of time.

while the medical issues demand focused and sustained attention, a lot of people very low down on the financial food chain are at risk. i'm interested what if any protections are going to be put in place to keep there from being even more homeless here and in lots of places.

we've got our VPN ramped up and I'm doing endpoint patching mostly as normal.

we're looking at a large influx of personally owned devices coming into the network as people who don't have a work laptop are trying to work as best they can. as a result we're looking at ways we can see and assess the risks that presents.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
my boss finally said wfh after someone was coughing all day monday. hello

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

boss just sent out a meeting invite for tomorrow. we're all distributed and totally travel/remote anyways. message was, 'just want to talk to you guys and see your faces. hope you're all doing alright'

:unsmith:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

PIZZA.BAT posted:

boss just sent out a meeting invite for tomorrow. we're all distributed and totally travel/remote anyways. message was, 'just want to talk to you guys and see your faces. hope you're all doing alright'

:unsmith:
lol youre all going to have to listen to a two hour pitch for his wifes mlm

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lol the university just decided we're teaching online for the rest of the semester (third week of may). that's gonna work just great for wood shop and cnc machining and all that poo poo.

just call the school year over already. this poo poo is hosed

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

FMguru posted:

lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

FMguru posted:

man in this time of social isolation and job losses, sure is a good thing that every evangelical household has three or four 'side gigs' that *checks notes* exclusively run on high pressure in-person tupperware parties that they force their relatives and friends to come to

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

lol the university just decided we're teaching online for the rest of the semester (third week of may). that's gonna work just great for wood shop and cnc machining and all that poo poo.

just call the school year over already. this poo poo is hosed

just amend the syllabus to require all that equipment at home

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

“dear professor sagebrush,

please stop sending your students to the bookstore to ask for EDMs”

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

can hardly even believe the us is running primary elections right now

https://twitter.com/jeffnzmm/status/1239915055476588550

some chudly fed judge, probably newly appointed, just said that a mere global pandemic wasn't reason to postpone an election or move to mailed-in ballots. oh and chicago isn't even counting some mailed-in ballots either, saying they took too long. hooray

i hope they're giving out dying to vote stickers instead of i voted

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Well it looks like 580 still has a fair bit of traffic and I still saw a lot of the contractor-types headed out this morning; the great Vasco dragon looked a bit more spread out

In other news, now that we have an organization wide wfh/shutdown, I’m pretty sure that the vpn has finally croaked

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

I had to do an install this morning and gotomeeting was getting hammered. Not much fun

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i was more productive today than yesterday. still poo poo's red in the graphs and running out of ideas.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Penisface posted:

i was more productive today than yesterday. still poo poo's red in the graphs and running out of ideas.

do a 360 and rotate your screen upside down

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
the fast vpn endpoint hasn't been working for me the past three days, but started working as soon as i started writing a ticket about it :thunk:

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

President Beep posted:

do a 360 and rotate your screen upside down

ditched the bad screen, already staring at the good screen

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Penisface posted:

ditched the bad screen, already staring at the good screen

loving pro move :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

work from home has been fine for me for the most part though we had a conference call this morning and quickly realized the line didn't have enough lines for people calling in