Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

PittTheElder posted:

I mean I'm doing some extremely basic "look at what the NASDAQ and Dow Jones are doing on Google" level analysis, but aren't they not even doing too badly? It's not like we've lost years of value or whatever you want to call it, the indexes have just fallen to where they were 6 months ago. I mean I guess the fear is that it'll keep going, but it seems not so bad yet?

A bit off topic for this thread, but: yeah, you're right: it's not recession-level yet, and the stock market was absolutely over-inflated, so this could just be reversion to the mean. But if so, it's happening extremely fast: today was the 4th worst day for the Dow in history percentage-wise (the single worst point-wise.) It's only beaten by Black Monday in 1987 and two days in 1929. The markets are falling way faster than 2008. And that's after the Fed announced they'll be pumping 1.5 trillion dollars of loans into the banks.

We'll only really know when it's all over, everything's just speculation right now.

DarkHorse posted:

Log chart actually makes sense in this case in my opinion.

Losing 1000 points means a lot different at total market cap of 5000 points vs 25,000

Log chart could make sense, yes. But the scaling makes it impossible to compare slopes and completely hides the volatility. Can you tell from that chart that the downward slope over the last three months is higher than any period in Dow history? I sure can't!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The key thing to keep in mind is that this isn't 2008. Things took a long time to recover then because nobody knew who was creditworthy. Now the markets are volatile and we're probably starting a recession, but things aren't hosed like they were back then.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

zedprime posted:

I'm not about to stan for log charts

You said log

and chart

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Karia posted:

The markets are falling way faster than 2008.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Sorry, sorry.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

DarkHorse posted:

Log chart actually makes sense in this case in my opinion.

Losing 1000 points means a lot different at total market cap of 5000 points vs 25,000

Sure but it's an issue of "those early numbers are meaningless because there is literally nobody alive today that would have purchased at those prices". The only thing that matters in the market is where it is relative to where you bought in, and for most people that's only going to be a few years in the past.

So like yeah, if your goal is to show the entire history of the market then using this scale and chart makes sense, but that's not the goal of the posted chart - the goal of the posted chart is "look, it's not so bad, the overall trend is still upwards!"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah the log scale is fine.

Starting the x axis in the nineteenth century is not.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

ultrafilter posted:

The key thing to keep in mind is that this isn't 2008. Things took a long time to recover then because nobody knew who was creditworthy. Now the markets are volatile and we're probably starting a recession, but things aren't hosed like they were back then.

The big underlying issue is that we never corrected the systemic issues that happened in 2008. Mainly the over-financialization of the economy.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

SerialKilldeer posted:

Thought that was the wizard school map for a second:

https://twitter.com/Devon_OnEarth/status/1234229657702207490?s=19

What continent is the green area north of the MIDDLE EAST supposed to be?

I'm the 41% of the worlds population served by one unnamed school (#10), while hogwarts serves <1%.

Actually that means they must have like 40x the students of Howarts so approx 280*41 = ~11,500 students for a school JK didn't bother to name.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

hooman posted:

I'm the 41% of the worlds population served by one unnamed school (#10), while hogwarts serves <1%.

Actually that means they must have like 40x the students of Howarts so approx 280*41 = ~11,500 students for a school JK didn't bother to name.

It's a book for kids, it doesn't have to make sense or have a fully fleshed out back story. I don't know where Spot got the ball from but it's not going to ruin the book is it.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Pretty decent animation of the #flattenthecurve thing.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1237021885239635969

It doesn't show numbers, it's still a lot better than the simpler one that's bandied about. If you want an example of a number to put in there, the U.S. has ~900 000 hospital beds. It is estimated, based on contagion rates in China and Italy, that if no measures are taken, COVID-19 will hospitalize between 4 and 8 million Americans. That's not accounting for hospital beds being closed due to staff sick leave.

Hippie Hedgehog has a new favorite as of 19:54 on Mar 13, 2020

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Aramoro posted:

It's a book for kids, it doesn't have to make sense or have a fully fleshed out back story. I don't know where Spot got the ball from but it's not going to ruin the book is it.

Eric Hill never claimed that Spot was actually a black lab all along either.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Has this shown up yet? From the doomsday economics thread

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

hooman posted:

Yeah I noticed that and was going to point it out too. I was just wondering how loving huge of a complex the China/India Wizard School had to be.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Are there really only 25,000-ish active wizarding students in the world at any one time? That just seems nuts, I mean there are individual state universities way bigger than that here in the mundane world.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Alkydere posted:

Yeah I noticed that and was going to point it out too. I was just wondering how loving huge of a complex the China/India Wizard School had to be.

Also how often does violence break out along racial lines? Are there Tibetan students who get treated like poo poo by both the major ethnicities but for different reasons?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Memento posted:

Also how often does violence break out along racial lines? Are there Tibetan students who get treated like poo poo by both the major ethnicities but for different reasons?

Also just imagining the cleanups whenever magic got out of hand. Like, things got messy enough at Hogwarts. Now imagine a magic school that much bigger.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

OwlFancier posted:

Also have this low effort but extremely specific one I made for UKMT:

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Alkydere posted:

If she deserved the benefit of the doubt, you could maybe say that these aren't the only only magic schools, but are instead the only ones in the same system as Hogwarts? I mean, she definitely didn't think about it for longer than it takes to Google translate magical school, but.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

Are there really only 25,000-ish active wizarding students in the world at any one time? That just seems nuts, I mean there are individual state universities way bigger than that here in the mundane world.

Yeah but what percentage of the population do you think could really be wizards without their cover being blown?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yeah but what percentage of the population do you think could really be wizards without their cover being blown?

When you start with the premise that most wizards marry other wizards, which seems to be true, the immigration of muggle-born wizards into the magic community is not enough to keep all wizards from being inbred as hell.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

I'm torn between "almost none because wizards are mostly idiots" and "any number because they seem to be constantly wreaking havoc in the mundane world, then erasing everyone's memory of it"

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
You ever say to yourself, boy this month has gone quickly, or, is it Tuesday already? Wizards. You saw a wizard.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

RoboRodent posted:

When you start with the premise that most wizards marry other wizards, which seems to be true, the immigration of muggle-born wizards into the magic community is not enough to keep all wizards from being inbred as hell.

One of the books mention that all the purebloods in England are related to each other so yeah they're basically the Hapsburgs.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Don Gato posted:

One of the books mention that all the purebloods in England are related to each other so yeah they're basically the Hapsburgs.

If there are 25k school-aged wizarding students in the world, that's more than enough to keep healthy family trees if any arrangements are done to avoid cousins getting freaky with it for too many generations in a row at a time.

....But considering that Hogwards does not seem to have that many students to begin with, and only minimal amount of exchange students or relocated wizards in the ministry, its only the English wizards who are inbred and proud of it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Don Gato posted:

Harry Potter and the Hapsburg Prince

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm torn between "almost none because wizards are mostly idiots" and "any number because they seem to be constantly wreaking havoc in the mundane world, then erasing everyone's memory of it"

http://gunshowcomic.com/30

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:lmao:
I love that comic so much, I've gotten more joy from it than the entire collective potterverse

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Captain Hygiene posted:

:lmao:
I love that comic so much, I've gotten more joy from it than the entire collective potterverse

:same:

it gets a ton of use in the horrible-great Sword of Truth thread too

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Thank you so much. I'd seen it a few times before, and incorporated NO SENSE OF RIGHT OR WRONG into my vocabulary, but didn't know which comic it was from and had no luck finding it when I've tried.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RoboRodent posted:

Google says there are like three hundred kids at Hogwarts.

This implies that the magical community of the Isles is in the low thousands, which is easily long‐term viable, but I can’t say it won’t be inbred as hell.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Needs one more panel for a political alignment chart.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Paladinus posted:

Needs one more panel for a political alignment chart.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Nice.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

First and second panels should be swapped. Otherwise it's perfect.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/difluorine/status/1239631049379827714

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

those "don't do it" squares are an attractive nuisance and the creator of this chart should be punished

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Mr. Fix It posted:

those "don't do it" squares are an attractive nuisance and the creator of this chart should be punished

pee pee + doo doo = it is a bad chart

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Harry Potter and the Hapsburg Prince

Head was full of love potion

Heart the size of a whomping willow seed

A single testicle, black as phoenix ash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Platystemon posted:

Google says there are like three hundred kids at Hogwarts.

This implies that the magical community of the Isles is in the low thousands, which is easily long‐term viable, but I can’t say it won’t be inbred as hell.

I think it was sort of a convenient retcon or later explanation on Rowling's part but the class sizes are low in the books because voldermort and his gang spent the last ten years killing people, so the whole wizard population went down a lot.

Of course if this is the case why aren't all the common rooms and dormitories in the school described in the books as being much bigger? Idk, a wizard did it :shrug: