Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

COOL CORN posted:

I really was annoyed by Nynaeve up until her testing (which I just got to).

I kept trying to think what the third trial must be if it's so much worse than the second, and then Lan showed up and I was like :cry: Nynaeve you poor dear.

Nynaeve just gets better and better too, plus she has arguably the highest dramatic irony stat on her character sheet out of like all the main characters so that's always entertaining. Her arc in books 4-5 has some of the best payoffs in the whole series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

All of Nynaeve's POV chapters are great, because you get to see her incredibly hypocritical inner monologue. The huge chip on her shoulder makes for great reading. Eventually she grows up a bit and stops trying to be the Wisdom and starts being an Aes Sedai

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Sang real = old French for the Holy Grail

Slight correction, sang real is "royal blood", san greal is "holy grail" or sacred cup

So an'greal and san'greal are definitely going after those references

Tar Valon is Avalon, and then Arthur/Uther Paendrag

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I'm a little into Gone Girl, and Pike would make a great Moiraine

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Al’Thor Arthur is pretty good as well.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Rosamund Pike: Moiraine? Jesus, she'd make a fantastic Dark sister or maybe even Lanfear. She plays crazy as gently caress unbelievably well.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Also Lancelot of the Lakes, etc. Names got layers!

COOL CORN posted:

Galad and Gawyn are definitely names inspired by Arthurian myth right? Galahad and Gawain?

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Al’Thor Arthur is pretty good as well.

Holy poo poo I just got this: Arthur Pendragon - and Rand is the Dragon Reborn! Why did I never notice this? :psyduck:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Rosamund Pike: Moiraine? Jesus, she'd make a fantastic Dark sister or maybe even Lanfear. She plays crazy as gently caress unbelievably well.

*grasping at straws* Maybe Angelina Jolie channelling her inner Kathy Bates for Lanfear.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Just finished up The Great Hunt

gently caress yeahhhh, that ending was cinematic as hell, and would make an awesome climax for the first season of the TV show.

I kind of zoned out during all the damane stuff, but I'm excited to see Rand come into his own as the Dragon, and supposedly Mat and Perrin are gonna get good eventually??

Nice to see the girls getting more action as well, I assume we'll see them become Aes Sedai before long.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

COOL CORN posted:

Nice to see the girls getting more action as well, I assume we'll see them become Aes Sedai before long.

Ah. Ahahah. Haaaah. Hooo boy.

They're great, though, you're right about that.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I appreciate the Seanchan having a little nuance. They could have easily been petty tyrants to everyone.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Pretty evil though, for what they do.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yes but they could have just killed off the local population, it would have been very easy to fall into like most fantasy does.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
So the Seanchan are the de facto descendants of Artur Hawkwing, but I thought he was a beloved ruler? So why are the Seanchan such shitheads

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Invalid Validation posted:

I appreciate the Seanchan having a little nuance. They could have easily been petty tyrants to everyone.

The Seanchan are kind of fascinating, in that they have had a thousand+ years since Hawkwing to develop a completely separate society from Randland. One that not only does NOT have Aes Sedai influence acting as a sort of yoke on the wheel of politics, but one that also went as far as possible in the other direction.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

COOL CORN posted:

So the Seanchan are the de facto descendants of Artur Hawkwing, but I thought he was a beloved ruler? So why are the Seanchan such shitheads

Ponder beloved rulers of history...

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

silvergoose posted:

Ponder beloved rulers of history...

Touche.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

COOL CORN posted:

They plunged a sword into the sea, and were absorbed into the culture that they conquered. Combine that with obvious manipulation by Darkfriends (their Prophecies of the Dragon are clearly corrupted, for example), and the hatred that Hawkwing had for Aes Sedai, and it makes a lot of sense.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

COOL CORN posted:

Well that's kind of the point - they came back to Randland expecting to find a sister empire ruled by Hawkwing descendants and instead they found a patchwork of feudal nations where the rulers don't respect or care about the Hawkwing legacy, and let Aes Sedai run wild to boot. Also the Hawkwing expedition spent several centuries merging with the native Seanchan culture, which was apparently all about subterfuge and infighting and extremely high stakes political intrigue, plus being manipulated to be a destabilizing, chaos maximizing force.

I feel like the Seanchan worked really well as an example of weird cultural and/or societal fusions and they ended up being significant to the story without being 100% aligned with the protags. I'm kind of bummed we're never going to get the outrigger novels about Mat & Tuon going back, tbh.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Gnoman posted:

They plunged a sword into the sea, and were absorbed into the culture that they conquered. Combine that with obvious manipulation by Darkfriends (their Prophecies of the Dragon are clearly corrupted, for example), and the hatred that Hawkwing had for Aes Sedai, and it makes a lot of sense.

A hatred stoked by Ishamael iirc

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It's amazing how utterly incompetent the Forsaken are. They get loose, infiltrate themselves into the highest levels of just about every nation to the point where they are in de facto control and..... do nothing of note.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They’re also the most powerful beings that can channel. The application never said you had to be anything but loyal. Guess when you’re the Dark One everyone’s disposable.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I know, but... christ. They had all but won the game if they could just keep their loving egos in check for ten seconds

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

something tells me that people who sell their entire being to the antithesis of the creator of the world just for a chance at power might not be the smartest or nicest people, just the most rear end in a top hat-ish

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The best scenes are the ones where the Forsaken are like THEY DID WHAT?!?!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The best scenes are the ones where the Forsaken are like THEY DID WHAT?!?!

I think the absolute pinnacle of this is when they're told Rand has a set of Choedan Kal access keys and he's planning to cleanse Saidin with them :allears:

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I think the absolute pinnacle of this is when they're told Rand has a set of Choedan Kal access keys and he's planning to cleanse Saidin with them :allears:

The funniest part of that is when one of the female Forsaken (Granedal?) uses this as an opportunity to try undermining her male counterparts - because cleansing the taint reduces their dependence on the Dark One.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I don't know if it's brilliance or just unfortunate implications that the most notorious slave-owning group in WOT is the one with a southern drawl.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I guess this is as good of a time as any to start on that reread

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

The Glumslinger posted:

I guess this is as good of a time as any to start on that reread

Catch up with me! I'm about to start dragon reborn and I started the serious in like... January

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Mine has to be Moridin? Going "eh, so what if they have a weather bowl, just one of those can't do poo poo we needed a whole network of them........ GODDAMN YOU MEDDLING KIDS"

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Mine has to be Moridin? Going "eh, so what if they have a weather bowl, just one of those can't do poo poo we needed a whole network of them........ GODDAMN YOU MEDDLING KIDS"

I think mine is the one right after that, when he thinks calmly to himself that he stood in sight of an unraveling web, with the clear implication that he was basically numb with shock.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I still love when Graendal? Semirhage? No it was Graendal, when she's writing a letter to someone and thinks about how primitive the writing of the Third Age is. They view the modern people as ignorant savages but those ignorant savages keep foiling their plans, sometimes by accident, and it's just amazing.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Rand is a walking Deus Ex Machina but it’s very funny when he clowns on them.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Oh that reminds me, in the I am the storm chapter, I always liked how he was like...I lost, I don't lose, gently caress!

While at the same time, an opposing general thinks "the ever victorious army, for the second time in these accursed lands, met a defeat"

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I guess Pyrrhus doesn't exist in Randland

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I lied earlier: best moment in the series is Gaul mocking Perrin for eating an entire ham for breakfast

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Gaul fucks

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Ungratek posted:

I lied earlier: best moment in the series is Gaul mocking Perrin for eating an entire ham for breakfast

A mighty victory!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Not for a year and a day he don’t.