Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm guessing it's Pale Blood, which is the first VinSyn release that I've seen that isn't region free, but :iiam: to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

AGFA are releasing The McPherson Tape on Blu and VS have a limited slip cover. If you ever wanted an 80s shot-on-VHS movie lovingly restored, today is your day.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Liar Lyre posted:

AGFA are releasing The McPherson Tape on Blu and VS have a limited slip cover. If you ever wanted an 80s shot-on-VHS movie lovingly restored, today is your day.

This great news! I hope the UPN special version is included.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

What are some of the likely MGM gems from that time period?

Some resources...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_Artists_films
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer_films#1980s
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Orion_Pictures_films
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_International_Pictures#List_of_American_International_Pictures_films
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filmways#Feature_films

First thing I can think of is Fritz the Cat, which MGM owns via the American International library. Vinegar Syndrome was supposed to release Bakshi's Coonskin years ago (from Xenon Pictures), so I can see them doing a few of his films. The only other ones MGM owns, though, are The Nine Lives of Fritz the Cat and Heavy Traffic, the latter having a Blu from Shout! Factory already.

I think it'll be easy to figure out what they got from MGM because a lot of the library has been licensed from nearly every boutique - Criterion, Kino Lorber, Shout! Factory, Olive Films, Twilight Time, Arrow US, (plus BFI, Masters of Cinema, Arrow UK)

MGM's library is kind of weird, but here's what they own:

United Artists - Other than a handful of pre-1950s films (like Hallelujah, I'm a Bum and The Jackie Robinson Story), this section of the library goes back to about 1952 since most earlier films reverted to their producers (i.e. Charles Chaplin, Walter Wanger, David O. Selznick, Hal Roach). Some likely titles would be Robert Downey's Pound, The Christine Jorgenson Story, and the Fritz the Cat films. Of the older pre-1950 titles, there's some Monogram films like a six Charlie Chans (most of the Monograms are with Warner)

Orion Pictures - Warner Bros. owns most of the 1979-1982 co-productions, but this section of the library has been picked dry by others. Clifford could use a UHD, perhaps? The handful of Filmways titles already released (Blow Out, Dressed to Kill, Full Moon High, etc)

American International - While Shout! Factory and Kino Lorber got a ton of titles from this library, I can see them being interested in early Roger Corman like Gunslinger and Swamp Women, Blacula and Scream Blacula Scream (went OOP a while ago from Shout), Mars Needs Women, etc.

Cannon - Some of these films are owned by Warner (like Cobra and Bloodsport), another library that's been picked clean for the most part. However, Barbet Schroeder's Barfly, Polanski's Pirates, Norman Mailer's Tough Guys Don't Dance, and Andrei Konchalovsky's Shy People have been OOP since forever

Post-1986 Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer - Warner Bros. owns the pre-late 1986 MGM films (like the first Poltergeist while MGM still own the sequels). Kathryn Bigelow's Blue Steel seems likely. This also includes some "The Samuel Goldwyn Company" films (Not the pre-1960 films) such as Wild at Heart (in print from Shout).

There's also the Atlantic (Teen Wolf, The Garbage Pail Kids), Island (She's Gotta Have It), Empire (Troll/Troll 2), Sherwood (Buckaroo Banzai), Gladden (Weekend at Bernie's), Cinecom (Matewan, Scenes from the Class Struggle of Beverly Hills), Castle Rock (pre-1994 like Misery and City Slickers), Hemdale (The Terminator, Platoon), Nelson (The Princess Bride), and other bits and pieces.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Maybe this means a release of Marat/Sade someday. It's one of my favorite films and only ever got a non-anamorphic release 20 years ago.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Does anyone else feel like they’ve been training/stocking up for a lockdown for their entire lives when they look at their physical media collection?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

This great news! I hope the UPN special version is included.

Unfortunately Incident at Lake County is not included, but it would've been rad though. :smith:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Liar Lyre posted:

That’s the one where a bunch of hillbillies are stuck in their house during an alien encounter, right?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

dorium posted:

Does anyone else feel like they’ve been training/stocking up for a lockdown for their entire lives when they look at their physical media collection?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Liar Lyre posted:

Believe it or not I think the movie was shot on 8mm film. I'm not sure how to feel about it being in HD though. The guy who made it has been selling a DVD of it online for a couple years.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That’s the one where a bunch of hillbillies are stuck in their house during an alien encounter, right?

Yes. The actual title is The UFO Abduction. "The McPherson Tape." is a title that was tacked on later when ti was being bootlegged at comic cons and stuff. Then a bunch of dumb dumbs were saying it was real because it didn't have the opening or closing credits on these tapes. The family in the movie's name isn't even McPherson.

VoodooXT posted:

Unfortunately Incident at Lake County is not included, but it would've been rad though. :smith:

I think you can watch it on youtube.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

CPL593H posted:

I think you can watch it on youtube.

Done it but it would’ve been nice to have a good quality encode of it on the same disc as a comparison between the original and the remake.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I assume it's the same people in both threads, but accidentally posted this in the Deals thread, but: I just upgraded to 4K, what are everyone's favorite flicks that show off the visuals and HDR?

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

I assume it's the same people in both threads, but accidentally posted this in the Deals thread, but: I just upgraded to 4K, what are everyone's favorite flicks that show off the visuals and HDR?

Previously: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3853471&pagenumber=158&perpage=40#post501542246

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

feedmyleg posted:

Blade Runner 2049
The Shining
Alien

Nearly all of the UHDs I own have “wow” moments but those stand out to me.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

feedmyleg posted:

If it's not Tammy and the T-Rex, I don't know what to tell you

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Awesome, thanks all. Went with BR2049, 2001, Alien, Fury Road, and Fifth Element. Will be waiting for sales for Wizard of Oz to go on sale, then Tammy and a Planet Earth style doc once it's not so much a hit to the ol' wallet.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'd avoid Fury Road(although I see you may have already ordered). I actually prefer the regular blu ray because on the UHD all the CGI flames are blown out and look really fake to the point of being a distraction.

Another under the radar essential UHD is Punisher: Warzone. That movie jumps to a completely new level thanks to HDR.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Plus if you get the BR you should absolutely get the edition that comes with the Black and Chrome version. You stop getting distracted by the fire and start really dialing in on the awesome production design. As soon as Furiosa bolts her carved skull steering wheel on, I was completely sold on the B&W.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Lizard Combatant posted:

Plus if you get the BR you should absolutely get the edition that comes with the Black and Chrome version. You stop getting distracted by the fire and start really dialing in on the awesome production design. As soon as Furiosa bolts her carved skull steering wheel on, I was completely sold on the B&W.

Yeah stuff like when they’re driving through the marsh almost looked like HDR with the bright headlights through the gloom

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Here to pimp my thread where you can win a free copy of the UHD of Tammy and the TRex!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Basebf555 posted:

Another under the radar essential UHD is Punisher: Warzone. That movie jumps to a completely new level thanks to HDR.
Also it's a flawless movie.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

It’s not a 4k, but Tron Legacy looks amazing on a good 4k tv. Put on the light bike scene and get blown away.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

the Back to the Future trilogy blu-ray's look great on a 4K screen as well. I hope tho when they do come to UHD that they come a much better package than that annoying pos box the blu-rays came in.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

One downside of my constant travel is that my apartment is the only place I can watch UHDs, so I have a lot unwatched. I'm able to bring my Blu-rays to places, but not those.

I've really loved how much remastering in 4K has worked for pre-1990s films. The Wizard of Oz, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Ghostbusters, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Alien, It's a Wonderful Life, Apocalypse Now, Blade Runner (Final Cut), and Superman: The Movie all look incredible. It helps that zero work was done to not make these look like film. Obviously, 2001 has an edge with it being shot in 65mm, but these look like you're watching the cleanest, newest print in the world rather than just digital.

Lizard Combatant posted:

I just got the High Octane Collection for $40 which includes the MGM Blu of Mad Max, the remastered The Road Warrior (plus a bonus disc with a doc), Beyond Thunderdome, plus Fury Road on Blu-ray, UHD, and the Black and Chrome Edition. There's also a bonus DVD with more documentaries.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Egbert Souse posted:

I just got the High Octane Collection for $40 which includes the MGM Blu of Mad Max, the remastered The Road Warrior (plus a bonus disc with a doc), Beyond Thunderdome, plus Fury Road on Blu-ray, UHD, and the Black and Chrome Edition. There's also a bonus DVD with more documentaries.

:perfect:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Yeah, the High Octane Collection is very much a pro-get for the Mad Max series. As is the 6-disc Alien Anthology set and the Adventure Time set only available in New Zealand and Australia :smug:.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

dorium posted:

the Back to the Future trilogy blu-ray's look great on a 4K screen as well.

On my 2K screen they look like hideously noise-reduced + edge enhanced garbage so typical of older Universal releases.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah those BTTF releases are rough. To the degree that I'm tempted to track down a fan restoration.

Hopefully the eventual 4K will include more Eric Staltz because even he was like "I wanna see that footage more than anyone!" after they said they didn't include more to be respectful of him.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
How'd this get missed? https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Elephant-Man-4K-Blu-ray/261631/

BFI posted:

The new 4K restoration was carried out under the supervision of Lynch who also personally curated the colour correction. The three-disc Collectors’ Edition includes a pop-up gatefold sleeve, 64-page booklet and five stunning artcards. Bonus material includes interviews with Lynch, the actors and a behind-the-scenes stills gallery.

The Elephant Man is released on digital download, DVD, Blu-ray and 4K UHD Collector’s Edition on 6 April after a cinema re-release.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Who could have predicted a back to the future release being a mess that pisses people off. Has any other franchise had as many botched releases as that?

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
I'm gonna throw in the 4k release of Christine for uhds. It looks fantastic

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Who could have predicted a back to the future release being a mess that pisses people off. Has any other franchise had as many botched releases as that?

Predator’s saga was so infamous that I refused to see it on home media. I finally got to see it the day after XMas a couple years back at a local indie theater. Best possible way to see it, totally packed out w people who love it or wanna see it

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Boywhiz88 posted:

Predator’s saga was so infamous that I refused to see it on home media. I finally got to see it the day after XMas a couple years back at a local indie theater. Best possible way to see it, totally packed out w people who love it or wanna see it

The UHD is finally a good home video release. They didn't overdo the DNR, and now everyone looks like humans who where clothes made out of cloth.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Cemetry Gator posted:

The UHD is finally a good home video release. They didn't overdo the DNR, and now everyone looks like humans who where clothes made out of cloth.

Oh yeah. I grabbed the UHD trilogy that popped up prior to “Predator” coming out. Still need to watch Predator 2.

But prior to that I only heard the stories of the overly DNR’d BluRay and the prior version which had no touch-up. And that even the DVD was p bad.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea the UHD is by far the best the movie has ever looked on home media. There are some early scenes where the grain is a bit over the top but for the most part it looks great and actually feels like a movie that was made in 1987 again.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, Predator finally fixed but completely agree about how many times it was botched. That's definitely up there.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

If I can play the UHD but don't have a 4K tv or whatever the gently caress will I still have the benefit of the movie not looking like trash? I know this is a kind of "blu-ray player on a CRT screen" situation amd the disc won't be shown to its full potential but will it be worth bothering at all?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

If I can play the UHD but don't have a 4K tv or whatever the gently caress will I still have the benefit of the movie not looking like trash? I know this is a kind of "blu-ray player on a CRT screen" situation amd the disc won't be shown to its full potential but will it be worth bothering at all?

Never thought about that before but yea I guess it would still be worth it because it wouldn't have the horrible DNR that the previous release had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Never thought about that before but yea I guess it would still be worth it because it wouldn't have the horrible DNR that the previous release had.

Those were my thoughts on it. Plus from what I hear the Ghostbusters UHD finally has the proper color grading. And the complete ghost blowjob sequence as a special feature.