Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Red Bones posted:

Of course if this is the case why aren't all the common rooms and dormitories in the school described in the books as being much bigger? Idk, a wizard did it :shrug:
Eh, the Hogwarts campus shifts the gently caress around constantly basically of its own volition, I would believe that the Great Hall and the dorms actively scale to the size of the students, maybe it's like the room that magically becomes whatever you want most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Eh, the Hogwarts campus shifts the gently caress around constantly basically of its own volition, I would believe that the Great Hall and the dorms actively scale to the size of the students, maybe it's like the room that magically becomes whatever you want most.

The toilet? Just five sweet minutes of not being around wizards stopping, straining a bit, then relaxing and surreptitiously waving their wand, it's all I ask

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mr. Fix It posted:

those "don't do it" squares are an attractive nuisance and the creator of this chart should be punished

Seriously. Now I'm really curious.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

It's Ha*b*sburg btw.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Haqsburg.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i think it is a genuine possibility that in the future this graph will be taught alongside the cholera pump-handle map and the florence nightingale infection graph

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i think it is a genuine possibility that in the future this graph will be taught alongside the cholera pump-handle map and the florence nightingale infection graph

It is a fundamentally different beast than the other graphs. They represented data. It represents an idea.

It is a bad graph, but it may have coöpted the language of graphs effectively and for a noble cause.

We will see.

My fear now is that it will be a cautionary example, that we fell short in flattening the peak while countries like South Korea, Singapore, and Taiwan took decisive action.

If the real curve looks anything like the ones on that graph—even the bad one, which is still at least in the vicinity of the ghostly capacity line–it will be taught as a triumph of communication.

If the real curve overshoots the line and overshoots it big league, no one will be warmly reflecting on how the graph lead us to overshoot the line by n fold when it could have been n++ fold.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

It is a fundamentally different beast than the other graphs. They represented data. It represents an idea.

It is a bad graph, but it may have coöpted the language of graphs effectively and for a noble cause.

We will see.

My fear now is that it will be a cautionary example, that we fell short in flattening the peak while countries like South Korea, Singapore, and Taiwan took decisive action.

If the real curve looks anything like the ones on that graph—even the bad one, which is still at least in the vicinity of the ghostly capacity line–it will be taught as a triumph of communication.

If the real curve overshoots the line and overshoots it big league, no one will be warmly reflecting on how the graph lead us to overshoot the line by n fold when it could have been n++ fold.

The scarier ones are the ones based on actual numbers where that "healthcare system capacity" line is way, way lower.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Any chance the lesson could be : we were never going to stay under that line, at least we didn’t tank our economy for decades to come in the process of saving a few octogenarians who died of something else within five years, as octogenarians are prone to do?
In Britain it might be.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Nah.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Any chance the lesson could be : we were never going to stay under that line, at least we didn’t tank our economy for decades to come in the process of saving a few octogenarians who died of something else within five years, as octogenarians are prone to do?
In Britain it might be.

If you genuinely believe that human lives are worth sacrificing in order to avoid an economic downturn, :getout:. Like, why do you want the economy to be good if the economy being good means more people suffer and die? What’s the purpose?

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I think the point trying to be made is that you can't save those lives or prevent a spike in deaths, so all these quarantine measures are doing is causing unnecessary damage. And I don't mean to corporations, I mean to people like service workers who now have no way of paying rent for the foreseeable future, who are having their lives fall apart even though they aren't high risk.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

ranbo das posted:

I mean to people like service workers who now have no way of paying rent for the foreseeable future, who are having their lives fall apart even though they aren't high risk.

Imagine how this might have played out if everyone who felt ill on the job was empowered to leave work, collect sick pay until they're better (even see a doctor if necessary). The U.S. labor and healthcare systems are a perfect storm of bad pandemic policy.

Perhaps this crisis will teach a valuable lesson to Americans about the value of social safety nets, like universal unemployment and health insurances.
It's a shame thousands will die (and even more go hungry) for it, I just hope it hits home so it wasn't all (as much) in vain.

Hippie Hedgehog has a new favorite as of 13:53 on Mar 18, 2020

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ranbo das posted:

I think the point trying to be made is that you can't save those lives or prevent a spike in deaths, so all these quarantine measures are doing is causing unnecessary damage. And I don't mean to corporations, I mean to people like service workers who now have no way of paying rent for the foreseeable future, who are having their lives fall apart even though they aren't high risk.

Completely overtaxing the health system with COVID cases would do a lot more than cause a bunch of old people to die.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Henchman of Santa posted:

Completely overtaxing the health system with COVID cases would do a lot more than cause a bunch of old people to die.

Theres a reason the US and Britain have taken such sudden, drastic measures

Just imagine the economic impact of all those dead people, and people sick for weeks, and families in mourning or limbo from the sick, dying, and dead!

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
Found another one in the wild:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

ol qwerty bastard posted:

What in the everliving gently caress am I looking at on the y axes

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
on the left number of people an infected person will go on to infect; on the right the percentage of people the infection will kill.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
what exactly is it about line graphs that encourages people to use them in the most inappropriate situations?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Default settings, I imagine

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Perhaps this crisis will teach a valuable lesson to Americans about the value of social safety nets, like universal unemployment and health insurances.
It's a shame thousands will die (and even more go hungry) for it, I just hope it hits home so it wasn't all (as much) in vain.
most of the people actully being hosed are the ones who're already aware of the value of the social safety nets they've been denied. the gently caress you got mine motherfuckers get to work from home. "it's a shame people will go hungry for it but maybe it will teach some other people a lesson they've been purposefully ignoring for years" shut the gently caress up and keep your dumb mealwormy thoughts to yourself

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

A scatter plot with each case as a single, separately colored dot and fatality rate and infection rate as the two axes would be interesting. Not sure if it would be all that useful.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

jjack229 posted:

A scatter plot with each case as a single, separately colored dot and fatality rate and infection rate as the two axes would be interesting. Not sure if it would be all that useful.
Gartner's Magic Quadrant (of dying)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

morallyobjected posted:

what exactly is it about line graphs that encourages people to use them in the most inappropriate situations?

I think it's one of those "when all you have is a hammer" things. There is one particular kind of chart they know how to make and they will put any data they have into that kind of chart.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It's good to know that as soon as someone graduates they disappear, it sure would suck if there were a few hundred thousand students graduating each year to fill a much more slowly growing number of jobs

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

If you're a worker in Australia, you are unlikely to have seen a real world pay increase in 30 years.

From the Australian Parliament House site/

Look at the Statement of Monetary Policy forecasts for a laugh.

No, we swear this year pay and conditions will rise, and rise dramatically!

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

this some sort of bigendian joke?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Henchman of Santa posted:

Ariong posted:

If you genuinely believe that human lives are worth sacrificing in order to avoid an economic downturn, :getout:. Like, why do you want the economy to be good if the economy being good means more people suffer and die? What’s the purpose?

He's the guy from a few pages ago that was telling us all how SARS-CoV-2 is basically just the common cold and everyone is overreacting and it's really no big deal guys !

What kind of weird brain do you need to make a line graph out of this?! How did they arrange the x axis?! Why is SARS not at least next to MERS and "Corona" which really should be labelled SARS2 or at the least COVID-19. AAAAAAAh

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

jjack229 posted:

I got you fam

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Fathis Munk posted:

He's the guy from a few pages ago that was telling us all how SARS-CoV-2 is basically just the common cold and everyone is overreacting and it's really no big deal guys !

What kind of weird brain do you need to make a line graph out of this?! How did they arrange the x axis?! Why is SARS not at least next to MERS and "Corona" which really should be labelled SARS2 or at the least COVID-19. AAAAAAAh

Forget all that. What I want to know is, why is that little section of the infection line leading to the COVID-19 point a different shade of orange than the rest of the line? How do you even do that?

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Thanks. That is kind of interesting, but probably not too useful. My read is that I should definitely stay away from smallpox and Ebola.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The problem with a graph like that is that it doesn't indicate a few very important variables: how long someone is infectious before they start to display symptoms, percent of cases requiring hospitalization, average time to recovery among hospitalized cases, and percent of recovered patients with permanent damage.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
listen, I can only add so many dimensions, so if you figure out how to graph something in 4+ dimensions let me know:

the bubble size represents incubation period (bigger bubble = longer incubation period)

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Put a regression line on it

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

morallyobjected posted:

listen, I can only add so many dimensions, so if you figure out how to graph something in 4+ dimensions let me know:

the bubble size represents incubation period (bigger bubble = longer incubation period)

Colors. And with circles you’ve got pie charts already, so use them :)

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Karia posted:

Forget all that. What I want to know is, why is that little section of the infection line leading to the COVID-19 point a different shade of orange than the rest of the line? How do you even do that?

Haha I hadn't noticed. Excel graph retouched in illustrator maybe?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

It's crazy to remember how back in 2010 there were no computing jobs.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

morallyobjected posted:

negative fatality rates?????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Snake Maze posted:

It's crazy to remember how back in 2010 there were no computing jobs.

I mean, when the field of Computer Science hasn't been invented yet, I don't see how there could be!