Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Pick the winner
This poll is closed.
Maxime Vachier-Lagrave 2 13.33%
Ding Liren 8 53.33%
Anish Giri 0 0%
Sasha Grischuk 1 6.67%
Kirill Alekseenko 0 0%
Ian Nepomniatchni 2 13.33%
Wang Hao 0 0%
Fabiano Caruana 2 13.33%
Total: 15 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Welcome to the only international sports event which is going ahead, the double round robin tournament to determine who will challenge Magnus Carlsen for the title of World Chess Champion. The event is being held over the next three weeks in Yekaterinburg, Russia.

There were two controversies before the tournament started, of course. The first was the organizer’s decision to invite the low-ranked Kirill Alekssenko with its wild card invitation. The choice was not without justification — Alekseenko was the highest non-qualifier in the Isle of Mann qualifying event — but he stands out as the only participant rated below 2700.

The second is that Teymour Radjabov, who qualified by winning the World Cup, withdrew in protest because the organizers did not quarantine Wang Hao. Wang arrived from Japan and not China, so the organizers deemed that their protocol did not require quarantining him. (This also seems a bit silly in retrospect, given that Caruana arrived from the US last week.) He was replaced by Maxime Vachier-Lagrave.

The games will begin at 4PM local time. This means 7AM Eastern Standard Time in North America, and 11AM UK time until March 29th. The final round starts one hour earlier.

Games 1-3 March 17-19
Off day March 20
Games 4-6 March 21-23
Off day March 24
Games 7-9 March 25-27
Off day March 28
Games 10-12 March 29-31
Off day April 1
Game 13 April 2
Game 14 April 3 (one hour earlier start)

A brief 13-month intermission

Games 8-10 April 19-21
Games 11-12 April 23-24
Games 13-14 April 26-27

Follow the moves:
Chess24
Chessbomb

There will be a number of commentary options on twitch. FIDE has an official account, as does Chess24. There will also be a number of independent accounts doing commentary, like the chessbrahs.

If twitch isn’t your thing, FIDE also broadcasts over youtube

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

This really feels like a new era. A candidates no only without Anand or Kramnik, but even without 'young' staples like Aronian, Nakamura, So, or Karjakin. To my mind Ding has to be the favourite, but the margins always seem to be so small.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I didn't watch a ton during the last Candidates... at least, not a ton that I paid attention to (mostly just second monitor background noise). Who are the commentators to look out for as being particularly entertaining/informative, especially for viewers on the lower end of the Elo range band?

About the only one I remember really enjoying was Yasser but that was more personality-based than anything.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
Excited about this. I think Ding Liren is a narrow favorite, but I still think all of them are going to lose to Carlsen.

The quarantine situation was handled pretty poorly in retrospect, but I'm happy to have MVL join.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Drone posted:

I didn't watch a ton during the last Candidates... at least, not a ton that I paid attention to (mostly just second monitor background noise). Who are the commentators to look out for as being particularly entertaining/informative, especially for viewers on the lower end of the Elo range band?

About the only one I remember really enjoying was Yasser but that was more personality-based than anything.

I think Yasser was with the chessbrahs last time, and they tend to be way more personality-based. The FIDE stream tends to be well to the other side, very much aimed for lifers. I'm a fan of the chess24 stream, since it seems to be a good balance of insight and banter (especially when it's Jan and Peter and they get bored). Chess 24 also is gonna have Carlsen dropping in a few times.

Another thing to try might be to just check the chess streams on twitch and see who is broadcasting. It looks like Ben Finegold is broadcasting, and I think several people here really like him.

e: Magnus on chess24 now.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Exciting! I hope they do not all get sick.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Vachier-Caruana and Giri-Nepomniatchni both looking sharp early, though both moved through theory fairly quickly which can sometimes be a sign of a quick draw coming.

e: I'm also invested in how Ding-Wang develops, since I want to be able to play this as white.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I'll be mainly watching the chess.com stream on Twitch. They will have Nakamura and Anand now and then, and just generally I like their broadcast style. They don't have the cams of the players though, and moves are slightly delayed.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
lol at them losing their minds on chess24

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

First sacrifice of the candidates goes to Giri who has just given an exchange in a hell of a position.

:stare:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

What in the gently caress is that position

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

silvergoose posted:

What in the gently caress is that position

It's Giri so it's almost certainly prepared. If I had to guess, it's that Giri felt that had a big benefit in king safety in that position, and that his bishop pair would be able to exploit that. And with how it has continued, Giri really looks like he wants to exploit the light squares around Nepomniatchni's king.

Meanwhile, Grischuk-Alekseenko is on move 12.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Giri's playing like an absolute god here

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

This position really interests me. There's a sense in which it is quite simple. White has a tremendous knight on c4, and an eventual break with f4. Black needs to keep enough pressure on d3 to stop white from re-organzing, and bring the knight to trade off white's counterpart.

And as I'm typing this Ding says "gently caress it" and just plows ahead with f4.

e: Elsewhere, Giri may have blundered his queen.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 17, 2020

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
I love the small scale of the chess world. Magnus Carlsen doing commentary on Chess24 while doing his laundry.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Last candidates my favorite stream was the Chessbrah's with Yasser. They didn't allow any engine evaluation chat at all. It seems unavoidable this year.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
I really wanted to see Radjabov and I feel really bad for him, even though I do enjoy watching MVL.

The two games with results today were crazy. Giri playing like a machine and then blundering his queen, and then Ding with a big blunder as well. I was fairly confident we'd see Fabiano come out on top again, and today's results haven't changed that for me.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Sub Par posted:

The two games with results today were crazy. Giri playing like a machine and then blundering his queen, and then Ding with a big blunder as well. I was fairly confident we'd see Fabiano come out on top again, and today's results haven't changed that for me.

The two draws also could've easily been results as well. Hell of a round one. I wonder if Ding's thrown off by having to gently caress around in a hotel for two weeks before playing, since he really just kind of exploded.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Hand Knit posted:

The two draws also could've easily been results as well. Hell of a round one. I wonder if Ding's thrown off by having to gently caress around in a hotel for two weeks before playing, since he really just kind of exploded.

I was wondering that myself about Ding. It was just such bad (for a GM, not saying I could spot the errors in real time) positional chess from Ding. I'm used to watching him just build a commanding position and turn the screws of a flawless endgame so seeing him blow up like this was really unexpected.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Sub Par posted:

I was wondering that myself about Ding. It was just such bad (for a GM, not saying I could spot the errors in real time) positional chess from Ding. I'm used to watching him just build a commanding position and turn the screws of a flawless endgame so seeing him blow up like this was really unexpected.

He played a really good game, but basically just missed black being able to manoeuver the rook to g6. If he sees that he knows he has to prepare f4 and can't just play it, and I really think that's a winning game for white before f4. After Rg6 he's in an awful spot, even if he had a saving tactic (which he missed due to having 30 seconds on the clock).

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Hand Knit posted:

He played a really good game, but basically just missed black being able to manoeuver the rook to g6. If he sees that he knows he has to prepare f4 and can't just play it, and I really think that's a winning game for white before f4. After Rg6 he's in an awful spot, even if he had a saving tactic (which he missed due to having 30 seconds on the clock).

Ahh ok I didn't notice the time issue, I wasn't watching that one live. Thanks for the explanation.

jvilmi
May 29, 2004
Players Replicas to Pose for Photos, While Real Players Avoid Being in Public

Hand Knit posted:

That and Wang Hao having to play the tournament without his seconds seems a bit unfair.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Round 2 kicking off. Got my eyes on Wang-Giri, since the line that Giri is playing absolutely tortures me as white and I wanna see how Wang handles it. Vachier-Ding also looks like it has potential with MVL playing an anti-Marshall, and Caruana is obviously going to be looking for the win with white against Alekseenko.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Ding misses another tactic/calculation line. I think he is officially shook.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Alekseenko's been calculating for 30 minutes on how to prevent a knight fork against Caruana. He's gotta be calculating pretty hard on a few options, because the immediate move to parry the threat [15. ...Rb8] seems fairly obvious even to a terrible amateur like me- probably a good sign that the position is really complex once you get into the variations.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Rb8 in that position leaves the a-pawn vulnerable, and doesn't manage to stop the pawn on d6, which is the primary threat. The knight fork isn't the best move at that point anyway since the knight is defending the pawn.

Ding's completely sunk now, not sure why he's still playing.

Nepomniachtchi-Grischuk is a weird one right now (move 28). That usually means a draw, though.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Mukaikubo posted:

Alekseenko's been calculating for 30 minutes on how to prevent a knight fork against Caruana. He's gotta be calculating pretty hard on a few options, because the immediate move to parry the threat [15. ...Rb8] seems fairly obvious even to a terrible amateur like me- probably a good sign that the position is really complex once you get into the variations.

15...Rb8 doesn't actually save the exchange. 15...Rb8 16.Nc7 Re4 17.Bd3. Now, I don't know if that's why Alekseenko didn't play it, since it's also not the computer's first-choice line. But it definitely doesn't look like something black would be happy to play into from a distance, especially when you continue the line 17...Bxd6 18.Bxe4 Nxe4 19.Nd5.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Mukaikubo posted:

He blew the bishop with 3 seconds left on the clock and really surrendered the position.

I haven't followed any chess in YEARS now so I'm using the extreme slowness of work to catch up on some of this action

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Wang is close to winning now. Not only would he be starting 2-0, he would have wins over two of the tournament favourites.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Chatting about the games with my father who refuses to remember how to pronounce either Caruana or Corona. :ughh:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Did this game give you some thoughts on your lines? You mentioned you play this sort of stuff as black.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

silvergoose posted:

Did this game give you some thoughts on your lines? You mentioned you play this sort of stuff as black.

The opposite. I play this as white and I have a lot of trouble against black. And yeah, the d4 pseudo-sacrifice is definitely food for thought.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Amazingly, Giri managed to hold against Wang yesterday.

Other than a Petroff in Grischuk-Wang, the openings are looking pretty sharp today. Nepomniatchni with the French against Alekseenko, a Slav in Ding-Caruana, and a sideline against the Gruenfeld in Giri-Vachier.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Ding-Caruana is absolutely wild. Caruana is playing like he's still in prep and has a huge initiative, but Ding has two pawns for his pain. If Ding can stabilize he's probably winning but that's going to be a hell of an ask down a full hour in a position like this. (after 19 moves)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

Ding-Caruana is absolutely wild. Caruana is playing like he's still in prep and has a huge initiative, but Ding has two pawns for his pain. If Ding can stabilize he's probably winning but that's going to be a hell of an ask down a full hour in a position like this. (after 19 moves)

Jesus, the engine is giving wild swings on every move because it can't read ahead enough.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

silvergoose posted:

Jesus, the engine is giving wild swings on every move because it can't read ahead enough.

They made time control and Ding is cleanly up a piece. All he has to do is not immediately explode against the threat of f5 and he's back in the tournament.

What a weird game. It really feels like Caruana prepared the whole way and just followed it through to a loss.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Opening choices today have strong "four draw" energy. I look forward to being wrong.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

Opening choices today have strong "four draw" energy. I look forward to being wrong.

That'll help the giri bettors for chess24 premium or whatever.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I log in in time for "it not looking good for Peter and Magnus's bet"

What was the bet? Was it Four Draws or or Not Four Draws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

silvergoose posted:

That'll help the giri bettors for chess24 premium or whatever.

Ding-Giri is very fundamental and is textbook good for white, but because it's so textbook I suspect that Giri knows how to hold it.

e: Caruana looks like he has a good grind against Nepomniachtchi.