Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Replying to post from previous page :

https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Dishonored

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Anything for Borderlands 3?

I've played the first two games so am familiar with all the standard stuff...

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

sean10mm posted:

I have't played Disonored in forever and don't remember anything about it except "sneak around and do cool poo poo."

Blink and that 'super sight' power are your best friends.

Resist the urge to load a savegame if you get spotted. Just roll with it.

You can kill someone instantly by jumping on top of them from above and hitting sword at just the right moment.

You aren't Zorro. If you get in a swordfight with more than one person, you'll probably die. Shoot them in the face with the gun, or freeze time, or run away and come back.

Don;t worry about high or low 'chaos', just do what feels right.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Medium Chaos doesn't kick in until you kill at least 20% of NPCs in a level, so you have some leeway.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Don’t play it like a thief game, it’s best as an action game with stealth.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I played it like a Thief game and had a blast, figure out your preferred playstyle for yourself.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I also played like Thief on my first run and had a blast. On my second run I played like Thief unless poo poo went sideways or I felt killing someone would be more convenient.Then it was whirling dervish of blood time. Those Razor Wire Tripmines are nasty. I also had a blast. Can't honestly say which I preferred more.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Kanfy posted:

I played it like a Thief game and had a blast, figure out your preferred playstyle for yourself.

Yeah, "play it the way you want to" is good advice. Personally I went the stealthy assassin route, but you can avoid combat altogether if you want. There's even a nonviolent way to deal with all the targets.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
You are given a wide range of creative ways to kill people, so it would be a shame to not at least try them out a little.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
The amount of advice given re: that game speaks volumes.

You will be judged by the violence you do. It’s not Spec Ops: The Line

Also the infected can’t be reasoned with.

Be sneaky or just make them disappear. It’s a video game.

Stealth is obviously cooler and rewarded

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

You will be judged by the violence you do. It’s not Spec Ops: The Line
Well, yes and no. High chaos (more killing) gives you a bad ending but a more interesting setup for the final level. I wouldn't stress over killing or not killing, definitely not on a first run.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Chaos becomes less of a seemingly counterproductive mechanic when you think about it this way: higher chaos means more enemies spawn. The game sees that you enjoy killing people, so it gives you more people to kill. Low chaos means less enemies spawn. The game sees you like avoiding being seen by people, so it gives you more empty space to avoid being seen by people in.

If not for the fact that it affects the outcome of the story, it would be a great example of reactive game design.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Going Low Chaos until you get to the final couple of missions and then going all out murderfest is pretty fun

Also being low Chaos up until near the end means that Samuel doesn't think you're a bad person

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

anilEhilated posted:

Well, yes and no. High chaos (more killing) gives you a bad ending but a more interesting setup for the final level. I wouldn't stress over killing or not killing, definitely not on a first run.

I’m still on my first run and Samuel makes me feel like a schmuck

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!

Draile posted:

I am playing Dark Sun: Shattered Lands for the first time in more than twenty years, so might as well be the first time.

Any general tips would be appreciated, but I also have one specific question.

One of my characters is a fighter/cleric (fire)/preserver (i.e., mage). The character can toggle between mage spells and the psionics that every character gets, but does not appear to have access to cleric spells. I also have a fighter/druid (earth)/psionicist that can access the cleric spells with no issue, so I am not sure why one character can't. Any ideas?

You'll probably have way more luck in the old timey computer RPG thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3473537

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Anything for Borderlands 3?

I've played the first two games so am familiar with all the standard stuff...

The first few areas are bland; you also do not have access to your storage. Consider prioritizing the campaign until you get to Sanctuary.

The vending machines on Sanctuary scale to your level, making them a good source of gear if you are doing side quests and out-leveling your zones. The quality of gear in the vending machines is much improved over Borderlands 2, but vending machines cannot sell legendaries, like they can in the pre-sequel.

You now use cash to buy both gear and storage upgrades. Gear effectively costs nothing. The storage upgrades are very expensive, but they quickly grow affordable as you gain levels and sell more expensive gear. Eridium is now used for cosmetic purchases. There is a vending machine that sells special gear for Eridium, but until the endgame the cost is exorbitant relative to the amount of the currency you are likely to have. Both cash and Eridium can be used in slot machines. The rate of return on those is not very high.

As in previous games, respeccing is cheap and you should not hesitate to try it. Also be flexible with your action skill, which you can now change up.

The world drop rate for legendaries is vastly improved over the previous games. You can still farm certain enemies for specific legendaries if you want to. As in previous games, some legendaries are extremely powerful; others are gimmicks and are not useful.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Are the Ori games okay with mouse and keyboard or should I get a controller? It's been so long since I played a platformer on a PC...

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I think Ori 2 is better with a controller but mouse & keys should work well enough.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Organza Quiz posted:

Are the Ori games okay with mouse and keyboard or should I get a controller? It's been so long since I played a platformer on a PC...

The movement in Ori can sometimes require precision I don't think KB/M can give you. I'd personally get a controller if you didn't have a spare 360 controller laying around.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Can't speak for 2, but the first Ori was perfectly beatable on KB/M.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

There are many situations where you need analog controls for precision dash aiming and I can't really say how well the mouse would make up for that. I would also recommend a controller. Should be doable with mouse, but probably a lot more frustrating.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE
Anything good to know before Mario Kart 8 Deluxe?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Some bikes do what's commonly called inward drifting: the Comet, Sport Bike, Jet Bike, Yoshi Bike and Master Cycle. This makes them a bit harder to handle and if you're already used to how the karts and other bikes behave it'll definitely throw you off.

On the antigravity track sections there sometimes are pylons or other features that make this little swish sound when you bump into them. Same if you bump into other drivers. Intuitively this feels like you should avoid either, but it actually gives you a minor boost.

Other than that it's a Mario Kart. They're accessible party racing games, you can't really do anything wrong or lock yourself out of anything.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE
Yeah, I'm more worried about grind. There's a lot of modular parts. Anything that makes unlocking them easier? Or is it just "Do a thing X times"?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PRL412 posted:

Yeah, I'm more worried about grind. There's a lot of modular parts. Anything that makes unlocking them easier? Or is it just "Do a thing X times"?

Your overall coin total is what unlocks parts, with a random one given every 50 coins, up to 1000 coins collected total. From there it's every 100 coins. Just play and have fun, it's not that big a deal. Characters are unlocked randomly by getting Gold Cups (ie; placing first ).

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Parts don't make a huge difference after the first few, once you find a kart/setup you like you'll probably never change it.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

There's always more ways to make terrible karts.

High speed no traction gooooooo!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

tip I would add for Monster Hunter World: even if you don't have the expansion, the game now starts new players with super powerful armour and craftable weapons that are intended to (and do) make the base game an absolute breeze, so you can get up to speed for the expansion. If you want any challenge at all, ditch them.

The game doesn't really tell or warn you what they're for and I just mindlessly cruised through the first few hunts before I googled out of curiosity and found out they're basically cheat items.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Kanfy posted:

A major yet seemingly little-known thing you should know about DD (evident from the fact that it's neither on the page or has been mentioned here) is that you can change character skills even mid-dungeon. Just right-click a character (or whatever the controller equivalent is) and swap around whatever you like.

And yeah keeping bad quirks under control from the start is also major. Major negative quirks tend to lead to more major negative quirks so if you can cut them from the source and not let them start adding up, you can end up in a real favorable situation where everyone's just stacked with positive quirks and only largely irrelevant negative ones you don't care about curing. On the opposite end if you're off to a bad start with their management then you'll just have to deal with them the whole way since there'll be too many to remove.

Another one that a lot of people don't know is that you can use food items on heroes to heal them a bit in between battles (limit 4 per hero until the next battle). You don't have to wait for the hunger event to do this.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Nebrilos posted:

Another one that a lot of people don't know is that you can use food items on heroes to heal them a bit in between battles (limit 4 per hero until the next battle). You don't have to wait for the hunger event to do this.
This is a really good tip and it saved more than a few runs for me. Out-of-combat healing on demand is a real godsend in certain situations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nebrilos posted:

Cardiovorax posted:

This is a really good tip and it saved more than a few runs for me. Out-of-combat healing on demand is a real godsend in certain situations.

The flipside is its really frustrating as hell when you burn food to heal and then two steps later you get the hunter event and now you're "starving" even though you just ate.

Note that using food to heal you doesn't affect your hunger whatsoever. They must be rubbing the food on their wounds.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, even if you do that, it's a good idea to always keep four food (for small dungeons) or eight (for medium) on hand in order to avoid hunger-based penalties.

Another badly-advertised little fact is that the "food clock" is not actually dependent on time or strictly speaking even anything you do in-game - you will simply get hungry a certain number of times per run, full stop, no exceptions. There's absolutely no way around it, so there is no point in ever rushing. Take all the time you need. It makes no difference.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Is the site down?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Seems that way, yes.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

While the site is down I've got a really silly one for the first Nioh: I know stat optimization isn't a big deal, but if I recall correctly, each of your two starting weapons also gives you a permanent stat that can't be respecced later. What stats will be useful no matter what build I pick? I was thinking Spear/axe since every build will need a few points in body and stamina, then Isonade as the starting spirit because everyone will again need to tank a few points into Spirit regardless of build.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

A single stat point really barely even matters at all - I made the post that ended up in that part of the guide, but what I specifically said was that you'll end up wanting 20-25 in every stat, because the benefits are very front-loaded and eventually stats just stop mattering as anything other than fulfilling minimum stat requrements for their associated weapon class. Having twenty-five points in a stat or having nearly a hundred points in a stat is not felt remotely as strongly as it would be in a Souls game.

The best answer there is to pick whatever weapon type feels most interesting to you to start with. It'll barely matter, though, because you don't actually start with any of those weapons and need to find stuff in-game anyway. I would suggest picking Kato instead of Isonade, though. The spirit attack of Isonade has a very weird spiral form and is hard to use with any precision. Kato is fairly straightforward and most things tend to be fairly flammable anyway.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Omi no Kami posted:

While the site is down I've got a really silly one for the first Nioh: I know stat optimization isn't a big deal, but if I recall correctly, each of your two starting weapons also gives you a permanent stat that can't be respecced later. What stats will be useful no matter what build I pick? I was thinking Spear/axe since every build will need a few points in body and stamina, then Isonade as the starting spirit because everyone will again need to tank a few points into Spirit regardless of build.

Its like +1 to two stats, which is super minor so isn't worth worrying too much about. There's a lot of cross-synergy in nioh's stats, I like it better than dark souls' classic western D&D stats honestly.

The "core" stats would be Heart (for Ki) and Body/Stamina (for HP) but you could also just pick whatever is associated with the weapon you're gonna use like they kinda intend and it'll work fine. So feel free to do body and stamina that's fine!

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Huh okay, that's easy enough... what about soft caps? Say I rush to 20-25 for everything and identify the two weapons I wanna go deep in, how high should I take their thing before starting to trickle back into other stats? Or is it literally such heavy diminishing returns that I can just kinda randomly throw stuff around and not make a major difference?

Zushio
May 8, 2008
You can shoot any human enemy in the head with the rifle or bow for a heavy stun. The Paralysis Ninpo is kinda broken on humans as well. Most demons are either just meat for the grinder or an excellent excuse to drop your refreshing skills and just delete them. I'd also say figure out what armor you plan on using long term, as there are some good set bonus. Same with your Guardian Spirit. I have heard the actual magic (as opposed to ninja tools) is outright broken and OP, as is heavy armor axe build. I did not touch either except to get a quick spell I wanted early in the tree.

I only used the Kursarigama and light armor (ninja build, I had a katana for set bonus purpose, never used) the whole game. Focus on your health, stamina and damage scaling stats. For magic stuff you outright get 1 skill point per level invested (or something similar) so they don't taper off until a long time. Any seriously problem I could readily just vomit out a tonne of throwaway weapons and delete them in seconds.

Seriously consider finding a guide for the Kodama, they are loving annoying. A lot of people say that the DLC expects NG+, this isn't true in my experience, the DLC does get kind of boring and repetitive though imo.

Improving your gear though forging is recommended, but a little obtuse until you get a feel for it.

Figure out your stances and how to do the pulse thing reliably. Blocking is meh in my experience. Don't be a dummy and go like 75% of the game without realizing High Stance Kusarigama is basically untouchable. Stacking two different element effects on an enemy triggers a new status call Discord. It means they take double damage. It's not necessary at all on NG, but you will destroy things if you can get it rolling.

This all applies to NG only, I didn't bother at all with NG+, but you can drop in an out of NG+ at any time once you finish the game.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

Huh okay, that's easy enough... what about soft caps? Say I rush to 20-25 for everything and identify the two weapons I wanna go deep in, how high should I take their thing before starting to trickle back into other stats? Or is it literally such heavy diminishing returns that I can just kinda randomly throw stuff around and not make a major difference?
It's all about equipment, really. Think of Nioh as a Diablo clone with Soulslike combat. Prefixes and suffixes and magic modifiers and all that jazz. Stats matter exactly as far as you need them to improve your equipment, but basically no farther than that. You can pump everything except for the bare minimum into health and stamina (which is actually not a bad idea) and be pretty much fine. I would concentrate on making sure you can upgrade your preferred weapons first, then make sure you can equip preferred type of armor, then bring Spirit to 25 (because that is good for everything and unlocks additional spirit powers) and then consider if you want to pump the stats that enable Onmyo magic or ninja tricks.

From there, it's basically up to you, because it doesn't matter a lot anymore.