Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bloodplay it again posted:

Open beta update is live. 1.76GB download if you already had the closed beta installed. 68.76GB download if you did not download the closed beta.

Thank you, good sir! I was just coming here to see if there was any updates on downloading the open beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The server doesn't appear to be up yet. Tried getting into ship 2 and wasn't able to connect.

[edit]
never mind, it is still tomorrow
https://twitter.com/play_pso2/status/1239597826818138115

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Sorry for the necropost but

orange juche posted:

X held up a bit better than the S performance wise, but the OG Xbox One really apparently had trouble with the game, which hopefully they've cleaned up some, so S should have decent performance.

If you have a 4k TV, and no already existing 4k console it's nice to have an actual one, games look really clean since the X doesn't upscale and actually renders at 4k.

I sort of want to get a S on the cheap for this and despite having a 4K tv I sort of think that at best 4K, while nice looking, is not the huge leap as going from SD to HD, and snake oil at worst. On the other hand my only frame of reference is a PS Pro where very few games can do 4K uncompromised (God of War, Horizon...that is about it), so I may not have the best frame of reference.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 16, 2020

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

Sorry for the necropost but

I sort of want to get a S on the cheap for this and despite having a 4K tv I sort of think that at best 4K, while nice looking, is not the huge leap as going from SD to HD, and snake oil at worst. On the other hand my only frame of reference is a PS Pro where very few games can do 4K uncompromised (God of War, Horizon...that is about it), so I may not have the best frame of reference.

Xbox one X is about 50% more powerful than a PS4 Pro. It actually hits 4k60 in games, I've never seen anything where it has downscaled like the PS4 Pro to save framerates.

Though, honestly, there's nothing wrong with getting an Xbox One S, but my understanding is the One X is basically a wholly different GPU and CPU that just so happen to run the Xbox One version of Windows 10, and happens to be called an Xbox One.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 16, 2020

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
2 Questions, 1.) Do I need Xbox Gold/ Live to play the Open Beta? I google'd the answer and apparently it's Yes.

2.) Will this have cross saves, so if I play on the beta now, I can continue playing my character when the steam release hits?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Boba Pearl posted:

2 Questions, 1.) Do I need Xbox Gold/ Live to play the Open Beta? I google'd the answer and apparently it's Yes.

2.) Will this have cross saves, so if I play on the beta now, I can continue playing my character when the steam release hits?

There’s no saves, it’s all server-side. The servers will be the same between platforms, but we don’t know for sure that it will be available on Steam in addition to the Windows Store.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Where are we supposed to be able to buy the Sonic/Ragol bundles?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Annath posted:

Where are we supposed to be able to buy the Sonic/Ragol bundles?

Xbox store later today.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

5 1/2 hours to go :homebrew:

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

I said come in! posted:

5 1/2 hours to go :homebrew:

It got pushed back one whole hour to 6 Pacific, 9 Eastern.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

If anyone needs an invite to Nol Vacancy NA, I will not be online until after 10PM EST. Ask Raujinn in the discord for an invite, I will be on after that time to be able to invite. If anyone wants to volunteer to be able to do invites/spacework please let me know.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
And I can't play because I have to be up at 5am est for COVID19 crisis management :saddowns:

Kanosai
May 20, 2006

There was this hairy chinese kid.
Sat here sad I don't own an Xbone for the first time ever.

I'm sure PC will come soon enough, just gotta be patient....

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Mission Pass info is up.

quote:

Introducing Mission Passes! Phantasy Star Online 2 players in North America will get the chance to obtain rewards by playing the game and completing missions. Read more to learn about this amazing new feature!

In addition to FUN Points and Daily Log-in Rewards, there’s another way you are rewarded for playing Phantasy Star Online 2; through the MISSION PASS system! By completing certain ARKS Missions you’ll gain Stars (points). Once you’ve earned a set number of Stars you’ll move onto the next Tier and be eligible to receive the available items. It’s that easy!

You can earn Stars to reach new Tiers in three ways:

Completing Tier Missions will reward the most Stars
Completing Daily Missions will reward a small amount of Stars
Completing Weekly Missions will reward a small amount of Stars

As with other ARKS Missions, you’ll need to click Tier Missions once you’ve completed them to receive your Stars.

Once you’ve reached a new Tier, click on the icon for the Reward shown on your Mission Pass. Congratulations! You’ll now find the item in your inventory. In addition to cosmetics and consumables, the Mission Pass is also where you can earn Mission Badges and Rising Weapons Badges –the vendors who take these forms of currency are located in the Shopping Plaza.

All Arks are automatically eligible to earn the rewards listed in the Normal Tier of the Mission Pass, but those who want even more rewards can purchase a MISSION PASS GOLD TICKET and receive rewards from the Normal Tier and Gold Tier for the entirety of the Season! Mission Pass Gold Tickets can be obtained through the Mission Pass interface using Star Gems, with the purchase of a Premium Set through the AC Shop, or by purchase from the Star Gem Shop.

Mission Passes are active for certain periods, or Seasons. When one Season ends, a new Mission Pass Season begins and Stars earned will go towards the Tiers on the new Mission Pass. However, any Tier Rewards that were not claimed from the previous Season will still be available for a set time.

Some rewards will have multiple options that you’re able to select from, although you can only choose one. Choose carefully, as you cannot change your reward later –even if you cannot equip the items. Each account can claim a reward only once, so make sure you receive it on the correct Ship!

If you saw a reward with multiple options and you really wanted both, don’t worry, you have another chance at it. At a certain Tier, you’ll unlock the Extended Game Mode and you’ll be able to complete the Tiers over again so you can select the rewards you didn’t take the first time.

If you have a bit less playtime than you’d like and can’t earn enough Stars, you can purchase Tiers with Star Gems. Just click the PURCHASE TIER button on the Mission Pass interface.

Earning new accessories and items through the Mission Pass system is a lot easier than watching the Personal Shops for something that will make you the next trend-setter. Earn your Stars and become one of the most fashionable Arks in Oracle!

Confirms you can use Star Gems to buy the Mission Pass, thankfully. Looks like you can skip the grind altogether with SG as well, but I'd imagine that is a bad way to allocate them. You get it with Premium, too, it looks like. I was afraid it was gonna be a separate subscription of some sort. Phew

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 17, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol no thank you. Completely out of place for a game like this. Just offer a normal cosmetic only cash shop.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I said come in! posted:

lol no thank you. Completely out of place for a game like this. Just offer a normal cosmetic only cash shop.

That's in addition, in order to filter out the literal thousands of items that would need to be distributed. There's thousands and thousands of cosmetics that are in the 8 year backlog that Sega needs to find a way to filter out.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Compared to the JP method of gambling on scratch tickets, the mission passes doling out older AC scratch content doesn't seem too bad to me. My biggest worry was that it'd be separate from premium. Even if you don't want to spend a dime on the game, the free mission pass will still kick cosmetics your way, more than you'd be getting with free FUN scratches, anyway. It seems to be more of an incentive to get premium than anything. Unless they jack the price of premium up, it's only more stuff for the same (or no) price.

Open beta rewards announced. Hit up the visiphone to snatch em up after login. No end date announced.

Flowen’s Sword (x1) (Sword Camo)
F Shooter / Licht (x1) (Rifle Camo)
Squeaky Hammer / Nacht (x1) (Rod Camo)
Astral Riser/Nacht (x1) (Gunblade Camo)
Fresh Aura (x1) (Back Unit)
EXP Earned +50% (x10)
Rare Item Drop Rate +50% (x10)
Meseta Earned +50% (x10)
Half Scape Doll (x5)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Compared to the JP method of gambling on scratch tickets, the mission passes doling out older AC scratch content doesn't seem too bad to me. My biggest worry was that it'd be separate from premium. Even if you don't want to spend a dime on the game, the free mission pass will still kick cosmetics your way, more than you'd be getting with free FUN scratches, anyway. It seems to be more of an incentive to get premium than anything. Unless they jack the price of premium up, it's only more stuff for the same (or no) price.

Open beta rewards announced. Hit up the visiphone to snatch em up after login. No end date announced.

Flowen’s Sword (x1) (Sword Camo)
F Shooter / Licht (x1) (Rifle Camo)
Squeaky Hammer / Nacht (x1) (Rod Camo)
Astral Riser/Nacht (x1) (Gunblade Camo)
Fresh Aura (x1) (Back Unit)
EXP Earned +50% (x10)
Rare Item Drop Rate +50% (x10)
Meseta Earned +50% (x10)
Half Scape Doll (x5)

SQUEAKY HAMMER YESSSSSS why isnt it a wand though?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
It's real cool of them to, based on that screenshot, lock cast parts away behind their lovely battlepass. Guess I'll be making a new character at some point in the future. Nice of them to hand out that sword camo though, I love flowen's sword.

orange juche posted:

SQUEAKY HAMMER YESSSSSS why isnt it a wand though?

A lot of their choices in this regard tend to be based on animation move sets. Like how the Red Saber was a partisan instead of a sword.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
it sounds like the Fresh Finds shop is a direct purchase option for older cosmetics; but it sounds like the selection will be limited, and rotated daily.

Compared to the JP method of gambling on scratch tickets, the mission passes doling out older AC scratch content doesn't seem too bad to me.
I can still say I would prefer a direct-purchase selection for cosmetics :colbert:

don't forget to take a step back and look at everything from the outside once in a while; otherwise you'll just get complacent.

that all said and done, yeah mission pass seems fine; as long as they can keep doing stuff like arks leagues to pump out SG a little more productively than having to go do battle arena or something. and anybody who just always has premium running will just always have a gold mission pass running too anyway.

Nuebot posted:

It's real cool of them to, based on that screenshot, lock cast parts away behind their lovely battlepass. Guess I'll be making a new character at some point in the future. Nice of them to hand out that sword camo though, I love flowen's sword.

oh yeah like those parts even in the screenshot they listed there are like, locked behind years of unrevived gatcha rotation so; that's where a bunch of us are coming from on this subject. "wow! these things are at least some form of obtainable, as opposed to being basically almost unobtainable!"

like the biggest issue has been the Recycle Shop being there as a means for people to shred unwanted cosmetics to turn into other stuff like outfit recolor passes; so even low-demand cosmetics still go extinct eventually on the JP server

NextTime000 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 18, 2020

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

NextTime000 posted:

oh yeah like those parts even in the screenshot they listed there are like, locked behind years of unrevived gatcha rotation so; that's where a bunch of us are coming from on this subject. "wow! these things are at least some form of obtainable, as opposed to being basically almost unobtainable!"

like the biggest issue has been the Recycle Shop being there as a means for people to shred unwanted cosmetics to turn into other stuff like outfit recolor passes; so even low-demand cosmetics still go extinct eventually on the JP server

Like, yeah I get it'll be useful for that. At some point, after we've had more than one AC scratch. But right now it's not serving that point, because there are no old cosmetics to re-run through it for NA players. It'd be cool if that's how they did it, to recycle old content. But I've never seen a battle pass that actually contributed to a game in any meaningful way, and I kind of don't have faith in them to do that here, either. It feels like a very excessive appendage to shove in especially when you look at just how many rewards the gold track has versus the free track.

JP's model certainly wasn't flawless, and it did render some cosmetics effectively dead (one of my favorite items was highly unpopular and I basically had one of the last few on my ship and it was worth obscene amounts) but I also don't really like the idea of just walling off cosmetics behind another unnecessary paywall. The fact that they've put so much emphasis on things like bundles and this mission pass, all while staying absolutely silent about the PC version as well just really doesn't sit well with me, too.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
http://www.bumped.org/psublog/pso2-jp-butler-maid-tea-time-ac-scratch/ those cast parts and outfits pictured in that mission pass image were from 2013; that's pretty old imo

but the real question here is what exactly are they going to be offering in the main AC scratch while this mission pass system is running at the same time

like mission pass and fresh finds are looking like their answer to how outfits from the last 7+ years are going to be made available; possibly even just a focus on pre-epsiode 4 outfits, before they implemented the Layer Wear system. AC Scratch is still in this version of the game too, on top of mission pass

NextTime000 fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 18, 2020

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

I'm having flashbacks of trying to buy PSO music for my room and seeing prices higher than all the money I had ever earned on my way up to getting two classes to 75 and one to 90. Didn't you need to buy art books to get Ragol memory or something like that? If they took away the mission pass, what advantages are there compared to having it? Free and paid players are both getting more cosmetics without having to buy more AC for scratch tickets. There's the possibility that I have a fundamental misunderstanding of the way it all works on JP because most of the time I played required webmoney, well before PSO2es. It seemed to me like people gambled on AC scratch tickets, sat on the prizes, then just flipped them down the road to buy other, haven't-been-available-for-years cosmetics, which is why I bothered mentioning sitting on Sonic cosmetics earlier.

Obviously something like buying pso money to exchange for exactly the cosmetic you want would be a better system, but this still seems like a better setup than JP and definitely better than SEA.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I'm having flashbacks of trying to buy PSO music for my room and seeing prices higher than all the money I had ever earned on my way up to getting two classes to 75 and one to 90. Didn't you need to buy art books to get Ragol memory or something like that? If they took away the mission pass, what advantages are there compared to having it? Free and paid players are both getting more cosmetics without having to buy more AC for scratch tickets. There's the possibility that I have a fundamental misunderstanding of the way it all works on JP because most of the time I played required webmoney, well before PSO2es. It seemed to me like people gambled on AC scratch tickets, sat on the prizes, then just flipped them down the road to buy other, haven't-been-available-for-years cosmetics, which is why I bothered mentioning sitting on Sonic cosmetics earlier.

Obviously something like buying pso money to exchange for exactly the cosmetic you want would be a better system, but this still seems like a better setup than JP and definitely better than SEA.

The thing is, is that people are comparing the launch of this new game, to entering PSO2JP years in where cosmetics were dead and outdated and thus were immensely expensive. Right now, NA is just now launching. It doesn't have that history yet, so the parts in that track aren't old and outdated yet. They aren't limited supply; until we know what's in the AC scratch, they're the only supply. If this mission pass was being applied to JP, then yeah that'd be cool. People would be getting access to old and outdated items they might want. But NA players aren't getting old items. They're getting new items. Now there's just a bunch of cosmetics locked behind premium/mission pass.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Nuebot posted:

The thing is, is that people are comparing the launch of this new game, to entering PSO2JP years in where cosmetics were dead and outdated and thus were immensely expensive. Right now, NA is just now launching. It doesn't have that history yet, so the parts in that track aren't old and outdated yet. They aren't limited supply; until we know what's in the AC scratch, they're the only supply. If this mission pass was being applied to JP, then yeah that'd be cool. People would be getting access to old and outdated items they might want. But NA players aren't getting old items. They're getting new items. Now there's just a bunch of cosmetics locked behind premium/mission pass.

Are the battlepass rewards guaranteed for a given tier, like in Fortnite or whatever? Because even paid, that's much better than a "free" scratchoff ticket with a random chance at a given pool of items.

Full disclosure I might be misunderstanding how it works.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Nuebot posted:

Ok, I think I see what you mean now. You want to make sure the items in the mission pass are also available at some point via AC scratch, right? Because they might not be available via AC scratch, they might not be available for purchase from other players. I guess some of it depends on whether mission pass items can be listed on the store or not, in that regard.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Annath posted:

Are the battlepass rewards guaranteed for a given tier, like in Fortnite or whatever? Because even paid, that's much better than a "free" scratchoff ticket with a random chance at a given pool of items.

Full disclosure I might be misunderstanding how it works.

You're not wrong, but it only really helps the people who pay for it. The benefit of the AC system (flawed as it is) is that people tend to sell their extras. They didn't always horde them forever. So people who didn't, or couldn't, afford AC scratch at the time could still get the item. Meaning eventually most people who wanted the item, would still get it. With the battle pass system, it looks like most people will only be getting one copy of the thing. Which means people are less likely to sell unless it's an item they absolutely do not want. This also has the side effect of making tickt-based items a lot harder to keep track of since if you use a ticket for an accessory two times, you unlock it on all characters permanently. With the AC system you could get, or buy, two of whatever. With this system, you're going to have to hope someone is selling theirs. And if you do buy it, you're possibly depriving someone who couldn't afford the battlepass of one.

Ok, I think I see what you mean now. You want to make sure the items in the mission pass are also available at some point via AC scratch, right? Because they might not be available via AC scratch, they might not be available for purchase from other players. I guess some of it depends on whether mission pass items can be listed on the store or not, in that regard.

Basically, yeah. I love that they have a direct purchase shop now, apparently. And that it's supposedly rotating every day? That's amazing, because that will help a lot in terms of deterring items from vanishing forever. And if someone really, really wants an item they can just buy it instead of having to rely on the market or AC.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I'll have to check tomorrow for the SANIC bundle, I'm not seeing it right now.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I dabbled in the translation patch but never really stuck with it. Is the beginner guide in the OP good enough to get started? Also should I be doing something specific with my mag now, or just wait until I find a class I enjoy?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Annath posted:

I'll have to check tomorrow for the SANIC bundle, I'm not seeing it right now.

Found it by searching directly rather than looking at the related items list.

Hopefully I'll be able to play tomorrow night.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

you don't need xbox gold to play the open beta

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Nuebot posted:

you don't need xbox gold to play the open beta
It says you need it to play online on the store page.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Boba Pearl posted:

It says you need it to play online on the store page.

I do not have xbox live gold and I am playing just fine. I assume it's because it's still in "beta" that I'm getting away with this.

Also the sonic and ragol bundles are up, you have to search for them manually though. And there's an event going on for joining an alliance, will we be having a goon group?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So if you are stupid like me and been wanting an Xbone for cheap for this, well...

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1240090305082167296

EDIT2: Sold out. May as well leave it if they restock

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 18, 2020

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Also; Premium does not give you mission pass gold.

EDIT: Also you can't even get all of the gold pass rewards. You can only pick one group out of each option. This is actually worse than I thought.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 18, 2020

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
i have no idea what i'm doing but i love this game

there's so many menus and things to do and why can my humar not use resta game wtf

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Also; Premium does not give you mission pass gold.

EDIT: Also you can't even get all of the gold pass rewards. You can only pick one group out of each option. This is actually worse than I thought.

Apparently, once you complete the rewards for the mission pass, you can start over from the beginning and pick the rewards you passed on initially.

So I hope you like grinding! Or paying SG!

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

The Postman posted:

I dabbled in the translation patch but never really stuck with it. Is the beginner guide in the OP good enough to get started? Also should I be doing something specific with my mag now, or just wait until I find a class I enjoy?

Wait until you're sure what you want that particular character to play as. Undoing messed up mag work can be a pain as it requires a currency you won't get a lot of until later.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Surprise Noodle posted:

Apparently, once you complete the rewards for the mission pass, you can start over from the beginning and pick the rewards you passed on initially.

So I hope you like grinding! Or paying SG!

Oh boy!

The really frustrating thing is that the only thing that gives you exp towards your mission pass are the specific mission pass missions. Nothing else. It'd be neat if like, CO's, daily missions, and all sorts of stuff contributed progress. But instead you just get missions to do missions so you can fill your bar. They don't even give you anything besides stars for the mission pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
The website says Daily and Weekly missions should give a small amount of stars too. But yeah, seems like maybe the system is not the greatest. I'll see how I feel about once I can actually engage with it.