Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Gaul will gently caress.

Maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s not his decision unfortunately.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

rndmnmbr posted:

I don't know if it's brilliance or just unfortunate implications that the most notorious slave-owning group in WOT is the one with a southern drawl.

I was genuinely surprised to learn that - I assumed it was the kind of drawl that some Chinese speakers have when speaking English, as the lacquered nails and their armour seemed to suggest that to me, as well as the colossal population.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I know the audiobook readers made the choice to render it in a way no human being has ever spoken, ever.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I know the audiobook readers made the choice to render it in a way no human being has ever spoken, ever.

Yeah Kate Reading just slurs Tuons lines and I kinda love it.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

“WHat if I took a big gulp of Diet Coke and just, like, held it in my mouth. How’s that for an accent?”

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

No the audiobooks are great though. Pro listen

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
They are, but I wanted the Texan accent Jordan said they had

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Soonmot posted:

They are, but I wanted the Texan accent Jordan said they had

"I tell you hwat, that prince of the ravens ain't right"

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the seanchan having a southern accent is weirdly fitting for some reason, and i'm not even referring to the 'having slavery' aspect. just imagining some of the accents around here in the southeast where i live just makes sense for those weirdos.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

The Glumslinger posted:

"I tell you hwat, that prince of the ravens ain't right"

"Saidar burns with a clean, white flame. Not dirty like that Saidin, or that bastard weave of True Power"

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
Saidar and Saidar accessories

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Cavelcade posted:

I was genuinely surprised to learn that - I assumed it was the kind of drawl that some Chinese speakers have when speaking English, as the lacquered nails and their armour seemed to suggest that to me, as well as the colossal population.

They're clearly also Chinese, in their way, but not in every way.

Y'all bow down to the empress now, y'hear?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

What if someone talks about Saidar being good?

We ask them politely yet firmly to leave.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Vavrek posted:

They're clearly also Chinese, in their way, but not in every way.

Y'all bow down to the empress now, y'hear?

when the daughter of the nine moons says "well bless your heart" you know that your death will come soon

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
kiss my S'redits

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

silvergoose posted:

Yeah Kate Reading just slurs Tuons lines and I kinda love it.

“WHat if I took a big gulp of Diet Coke and just, like, held it in my mouth. How’s that for an accent?”

No the audiobooks are great though. Pro listen

While I decided to listen to a different sprawling epic series by a husband and wife pair that didn't conclude before the husband's death, despite having been originally planned to be much shorter, these comments are thoroughly cementing the idea that the next time I go through The Wheel of Time, it has to be on audio.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I listened to the whole series in Audiobook form they're really good, the two readers do a great job throuout and weirdly having the same character sound completely different between the two really helps sell the male/female perspective thing, its neat.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Kate Reading and Michael Kramer (also husband and wife, weirdly enough) are absolutely pro tier audiobook narrators, and the decision to go with dual male/female narrators really helps keep a sprawling cast manageable.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Sounds kinda fun if audiobooks weren’t so expensive I’d probably try it after this run.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Kate Reading and Michael Kramer (also husband and wife, weirdly enough) are absolutely pro tier audiobook narrators, and the decision to go with dual male/female narrators really helps keep a sprawling cast manageable.

Wheel of Time was such a good audiobook series it was also my first and when I started to do stuff not done by them I was horribly disappointed. I am glad Sanderson likes them a bunch and tries to get them for most of his books.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

Sounds kinda fun if audiobooks weren’t so expensive I’d probably try it after this run.

I basically waited for audible deals, subscribed for a month, got two books or whatever the deal was, then stopped.

Repeat over, like, two years, and I had the whole set!

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Check your local library. Mine has the entire series available as downloadable audiobooks.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Vavrek posted:

Check your local library. Mine has the entire series available as downloadable audiobooks.

I didn't even think of that!!!

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That’s not a bad idea i might try that.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Best in mind most of them will have a specific length of time you can have them out, and they're...lengthy, or girthy, or whatever.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I forgot how good Towers of Midnight is. Just continuous payoffs of plot lines so they can line up Tarmon Gaiden in AMoL

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The first and last trilogies are incredible.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

silvergoose posted:

Best in mind most of them will have a specific length of time you can have them out, and they're...lengthy, or girthy, or whatever.

Audiobooks I download from my library are incredibly unsecured. They're just loose, unencrypted mp3 files. I copy them to another folder and return the book.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Vavrek posted:

Audiobooks I download from my library are incredibly unsecured. They're just loose, unencrypted mp3 files. I copy them to another folder and return the book.

Fair enough!

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Oh god I've read up to the 9th book before wandering away twice but now I think I'm about to start over a third time to try and finish.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I started my re-read beginning of November. Cleared the first eight books by Christmas. Didn’t get to book 11 until mid February, and have been cruising again since.

9 and 10 have some good parts but maaaaan they are a slog at times.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Famethrowa posted:

Oh god I've read up to the 9th book before wandering away twice but now I think I'm about to start over a third time to try and finish.

Just skip ten. I never recommend that for books normally but that one is just so painful. Read a summary and move on.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Ungratek posted:

I started my re-read beginning of November. Cleared the first eight books by Christmas.

See that's the only reason I'm making this attempt. 1-5 was probably the best fantasy I've ever read. I don't remember 6-8 though it was readable, but 9 was just unbearable.

Figured a time of plague isn't a bad time to start

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

9 has a great finale, at least. It's 10 that can be interminable.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea 10 is a slog. I’m getting through it but you can definitely skim through a lot of it. I woulda been pissed if I had waited when I was younger to read it then realize I had to wait however long it was before more books came out. Kinda like GoT I guess.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yea 10 is a slog. I’m getting through it but you can definitely skim through a lot of it. I woulda been pissed if I had waited when I was younger to read it then realize I had to wait however long it was before more books came out. Kinda like GoT I guess.

Yeah except it wasn't years and years. I got a new wheel of time most Hanukkahs! Ah, memories.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

actually just started on book 9 last night. is this the 'perrin stands around in snow' adventure? i know what the finale of this book involves and i honestly have no idea where i even left off last time. like, i still haven't run into egwene getting captured by the tower for a bit and rand getting collared by the domination band so everything is a weird blur to me.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Johnny Joestar posted:

actually just started on book 9 last night. is this the 'perrin stands around in snow' adventure? i know what the finale of this book involves and i honestly have no idea where i even left off last time. like, i still haven't run into egwene getting captured by the tower for a bit and rand getting collared by the domination band so everything is a weird blur to me.

Those events are in book 11 and 12, respectively. Yes, they are really this far away.

I wouldn't skip Winter's Heart. Book 10 may be skipped if you read a summary, but not book 9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i definitely won't skip anything, and i have book 10 already here with me so i might as well read it for sure. dang, i might have read farther than i realized way back in the day.