Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I took some advice from this thread and went from a skerton to a Kinu Phoenix. I didn't have the opportunity to compare it to a lido, but I am quite happy with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
All of the expensive manual grinders are going to give you a similar grind. It all comes down to look, feel, and grind speed.

Check out the YouTube video from James Hoffman comparing them all.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Hauki posted:

speaking of the lido, does anyone know the differences between the 3, the e and the e-t?

e: oh, i think i have it, didn't realise my search result kept getting redirected to a retailer instead of OE

I just got a Lido E a few months ago and I adore it. Even before dialing anything in the first cup I made with it was the best cup I’d ever made.

I guess you have already figured out what the difference is but for anyone else curious:

The Lido 3 is the standard model. Has a folding crank on top for slightly easier travel. Most of it, including the crank, is plastic.

The E is aimed at home espresso use. Has a finer pitch on the grind adjustment for dialing in espresso. Has no folding handle. Comes instead with a rubber base to set it in while grinding and a dosing funnel. Less plastic than the 3, the crank and other large parts are cast aluminum.

ET is aimed at travel espresso. Has folding crank and the same grind adjustment pitch as the E.

I went with the E because I wanted the cast aluminum construction and the folding handle wasn’t important to me.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

I'm looking into purchasing a portable coffee maker / thermos. I'll have access to a kettle at the location, but might not always have time for a pour-over method, and would like to keep the number of things I have to bring with me to a minimum. I was originally going to purchase a french press or aeropress and use a regular thermos, but now I'm thinking of one of these:

Espro Coffee Travel Press, Stainless Steel, 12 oz (Coffee Filter, Brushed Stainless)
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00UTO949U

Espro 5116C-18BK Ultralight Coffee Press, Vacuum Insulated, Stainless Steel, 16 oz (Matte Black), Meteorite
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B011WTW37A

BruTrek Double Shot 3.0 Travel French Press Coffee Mug - Bru-Stop Insulated Stainless Steel Mug with Non-Slip Grip, Mountain Lake, 16 oz Cup
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07977RKTX

They all seem to review well. I'm not too concerned with grit - I use a stove-top percolator as my main coffee maker - but ideally I'd like a good press. Does anyone have experience with one of these or something similar? Thanks!

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

PhilippAchtel posted:

I'm looking into purchasing a portable coffee maker / thermos. I'll have access to a kettle at the location, but might not always have time for a pour-over method, and would like to keep the number of things I have to bring with me to a minimum. I was originally going to purchase a french press or aeropress and use a regular thermos, but now I'm thinking of one of these:

Espro Coffee Travel Press, Stainless Steel, 12 oz (Coffee Filter, Brushed Stainless)

Espro 5116C-18BK Ultralight Coffee Press, Vacuum Insulated, Stainless Steel, 16 oz (Matte Black), Meteorite

BruTrek Double Shot 3.0 Travel French Press Coffee Mug - Bru-Stop Insulated Stainless Steel Mug with Non-Slip Grip, Mountain Lake, 16 oz Cup

They all seem to review well. I'm not too concerned with grit - I use a stove-top percolator as my main coffee maker - but ideally I'd like a good press. Does anyone have experience with one of these or something similar? Thanks!

There's also the Aeropress Go, which is an Aeropress designed for travel:

https://www.amazon.ca/AeroPress-Espresso-Perfect-Outdoors-Micro-Filters/dp/B07YVL8SF3

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
I've read not great things about the Go, so be wary

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

PhilippAchtel posted:

Don’t buy one of those French press travel mugs. Buy a french press and a separate travel mug. If you combine the two, you’re just going to keep extracting while the grounds sit in the mug. This is going to taste terrible over the time it would take you to drink it. You could also do something like the clever coffee dripper instead of a French press. Basically the same amount of effort is involved.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
I like to travel with the clever coffee dripper as well. Waaaay easier to clean because you don't have to deal with the grounds, it doesn't take up much space, and it makes killer coffee.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

rockcity posted:

Don’t buy one of those French press travel mugs. Buy a french press and a separate travel mug. If you combine the two, you’re just going to keep extracting while the grounds sit in the mug. This is going to taste terrible over the time it would take you to drink it. You could also do something like the clever coffee dripper instead of a French press. Basically the same amount of effort is involved.

Can I use that to brew directly into a thermos?

Also, I won't have a kettle with a fancy spout. Can I just pour hot water into it?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

PhilippAchtel posted:

Can I use that to brew directly into a thermos?

Also, I won't have a kettle with a fancy spout. Can I just pour hot water into it?

Yes and yes. It’s clever, in that it has a valve at the bottom of the filter that stays closed until you place it on top of a mug (or something similar). Thus you’re really doing an immersion brewing method rather than a normal pour over - so both kettle and grind size are not really relevant.

It also sits happily on any reasonably sized container when you choose to decant the coffee out - certainly works fine in my zojirushi travel thermos.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Thanks! I watched a video on it, and it's now at the top of my list.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Seconding (thirding?) the clever as a fantastic travel brewing option. Super compact and lightweight since it's just a fancy piece of plastic and it makes a relatively good cup even if you're in a situation where you have limited control over grind size. When traveling I pack it and a Hario mini-slim hand grinder (the Skerton is better but it's much bulkier and glass, which unnerves me when packing) and they make for a fantastic cup on the go.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
I found and purchased a $15 used espresso machine on a whim from a thrift store because I thought, hey I've always wanted an espresso machine (i.e. a non-toy one) but always was stopped by the cost barrier on even the cheapest Rancilio's and figured, worst case scenario I lost $15, and best case scenario I got a decent entry grade machine to play around with.

The model is called the Brasilia Club and its a single boiler espresso machine with a commercial group head and portafilter. What also impressed me is that this thing is a beast, it's all steel and next to no plastic.

After descaling it and cleaning it out, I found a manual online and started pulling some shots. The shots seem to come out fine enough after some rounds (I only have a Baratza Encore with the grind setting recalibrated to the lowest "window") but we've been having trouble with the wand getting hot enough for steam and microfoam. We just can't seem to get it hot enough even after pre-heating for an hour or so. We managed after some dialing in to get some good espresso though with not bad crema, but the wand seems to be our biggest issue.

Looking around town I can't really find a good place that services espresso machines (the only ones nearby seem to solely offer repairs on super-auto's). Any ideas on first steps i could do to troubleshoot this?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

That's a solid buy for $15, congrats. On a machine that old with an unknown maintenance history there's a good chance the heating element has a good coating of scale on it (which is preventing the boiler from getting as hot as it should), and once it gets to that point you usually can't remove it just by descaling. The next step would probably be to pull the boiler apart and inspect/clean it, but you're going to want to make sure you can get all the gaskets for re-assembly first as you most likely won't be able to re-use the ones that are in there now. If you don't want to risk rendering the machine completely unusable, those electric milk frothing pitchers are cheap, foolproof and actually make a nice tight foam.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

bizwank posted:

That's a solid buy for $15, congrats. On a machine that old with an unknown maintenance history there's a good chance the heating element has a good coating of scale on it (which is preventing the boiler from getting as hot as it should), and once it gets to that point you usually can't remove it just by descaling. The next step would probably be to pull the boiler apart and inspect/clean it, but you're going to want to make sure you can get all the gaskets for re-assembly first as you most likely won't be able to re-use the ones that are in there now. If you don't want to risk rendering the machine completely unusable, those electric milk frothing pitchers are cheap, foolproof and actually make a nice tight foam.

Can confirm, I just got one of those milk frothers and it's changed my life. A fraction of the hassle, a million times more consistent, and 100% less dependent on weird obscure foaming skills that I don't have. A steal at $40

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

Can confirm, I just got one of those milk frothers and it's changed my life. A fraction of the hassle, a million times more consistent, and 100% less dependent on weird obscure foaming skills that I don't have. A steal at $40

Got a specific rec?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

My partner uses this one
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JEPP64C/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_1exzEb1RRBBQ4
She does cashew milk in it and it comes out nice and foamy.
Regular milkworks fine in it too but I like to use the steam wand for that.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

How is it different from what a steam wand produces? I get that it requires zero technique, but does it produce the same rich creamy milk?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I have a Nespresso model and it makes better microfoam then I get from a lot of cafes in Seattle.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I can also recommend the nespresso for casual use. The foam is so thick you can carve it. Also the model I have (aeroccino 4) is dishwasher proof, which is nice.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Got a specific rec?

Mine is the Souvia. Its results are the same as the above posts

https://www.amazon.com/Souvia-Autom...035966046&psc=1

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Somebody on Craigslist near me is selling a Rocky grinder for $200, please tell me that's a bad deal so I don't buy another coffee thing

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

RichterIX posted:

Somebody on Craigslist near me is selling a Rocky grinder for $200, please tell me that's a bad deal so I don't buy another coffee thing

That's a bad deal if you already have one. It's about half price though, so if works and the burrs are in good shape then I'm sorry for your wallet. That said, I only use mine for grinding espresso and have a Capresso Infinity for coarser grinds.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Jhet posted:

That's a bad deal if you already have one. It's about half price though, so if works and the burrs are in good shape then I'm sorry for your wallet. That said, I only use mine for grinding espresso and have a Capresso Infinity for coarser grinds.

Honestly that's a pretty good dissuasion, I already have an Infinity. I'm finding it very inconsistent lately though so I've had my ear to the ground for a potential replacement

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

RichterIX posted:

Honestly that's a pretty good dissuasion, I already have an Infinity. I'm finding it very inconsistent lately though so I've had my ear to the ground for a potential replacement

I run Urnex Grindz through to clean my grinders and that’s managed to keep them doing consistent work. If you’re trying to not murder your wallet, cleaning routine would be where I’d start. After that, maybe try taking it apart to clean in the cracks.

Elbow grease is mostly free, so I’d definitely start there first.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Gunder posted:

How is it different from what a steam wand produces? I get that it requires zero technique, but does it produce the same rich creamy milk?

Yeah, I get that maybe these produce alright frothed up milk for a dry cappucino but will it get decent microfoam for a wet cappucino? I am a bit skeptical on these. Has anyone had good experience with pressurized stovetop steam wands like the Bellman?

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 10, 2020

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Oysters Autobio posted:

Yeah, I get that maybe these produce alright frothed up milk for a dry cappucino but will it get decent microfoam for a wet cappucino? I am a bit skeptical on these. Has anyone had good experience with pressurized stovetop steam wands like the Bellman?
Mine makes microfoam you could rest a spoon on top of. Buy one from Amazon, try it out, return it if you don't like it :shrug:

That Bellman is pricey af and takes 15 minutes to come up to temp, according to that video. I'd first confirm that your existing machine is actually not producing steam properly (check the boiler temp?) and that it's not just your technique that is the problem; you mentioned you've never had an espresso machine before, and pulling nice foam definitely takes some skill and a lot of practice.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

other people posted:

Here's a tip, don't go to starbucks :smug:

I was hooked on their new star program... but after I run out this summer I’m done going there .

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Just tried some Red Brick espresso from Square Mile. (James Hoffmann's place) Really nice. Might be my new favourite standard espresso. Tempted to give their Sweet Shop blend a go next month, but that might be a little too crazy for my tastes.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 10, 2020

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

RichterIX posted:

This is a sweet deal assuming the burrs are good. I have a Rocky (doser'd about 10 years old) and it works great. I would not mind having 2 at that price.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just wanted to add some photo evidence to the talk about milk frothers producing foam that can support a spoon

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thumposaurus posted:

My partner uses this one
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JEPP64C/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_1exzEb1RRBBQ4
She does cashew milk in it and it comes out nice and foamy.
Regular milkworks fine in it too but I like to use the steam wand for that.

I ended up getting this one.Seems to do exactly what I wanted it. Way easier than using the steam wand. Thanks!

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Yeah if you like "extra foam" when you get your drinks those frothers are top notch. How do they perform at super silky (wet) microfoam that doesn't just float on top of your coffee like a weird iceberg of shaving cream is my question.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Mar 16, 2020

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Yeah, I imagine that's great for cappuccino, but not good for lattes.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Gunder posted:

Yeah, I imagine that's great for cappuccino, but not good for lattes.

Terrible for both.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Data Graham posted:

Just wanted to add some photo evidence to the talk about milk frothers producing foam that can support a spoon

This isn’t a good thing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Some people like a dense layer of flavorless nothing for some reason.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Yeah that's exactly the opposite type of foam I'm looking for but I sort of expected it with a milk foam machine.

Nothing wrong with it of course, but that's very much a "dry" cappucino foam (super foamy with big bubbles), I'm looking for something to create a smoother, "wet" microbubbles type of cappucino foam (or something you'd find in a flat white).

It's all very much debatable (we're getting into some pretty philosophical areas here.) but if you search online there's lots of posts about it though don't expect many non-coffee nerds to understand it when you order one (typically the third-wave trendy places do "wet" style cappucinos while old mom and pop type shops do the spooned-in dry cappucinos). If I'm not sure I usually order a flat white since that typically is much more wet.

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 17, 2020

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

They can kinda do that type of wet foam but not automatically not the one we have anyways. You have to watch it and stop it when it gets to that stage. If you let it go full auto it'll give you the dry shaving cream type foam.
Luckily that's what she's looking for in foam so it works for her. I shoot for a more latte type foam with the steam wand and skim milk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I've just been cranking mine to the top of the temp range and letting it go auto. Guess I've learned what the whole rest of the control range is for then lol