Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Broken Machine posted:

can hardly even believe the us is running primary elections right now

https://twitter.com/jeffnzmm/status/1239915055476588550

some chudly fed judge, probably newly appointed, just said that a mere global pandemic wasn't reason to postpone an election or move to mailed-in ballots. oh and chicago isn't even counting some mailed-in ballots either, saying they took too long. hooray

i hope they're giving out dying to vote stickers instead of i voted

the french government on sunday: "stay home ffs or we'll enact a lockdown"
also the french government on sunday: "go vote for the municipal elections it's your civic duty etc."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Broken Machine posted:

can hardly even believe the us is running primary elections right now

https://twitter.com/jeffnzmm/status/1239915055476588550

some chudly fed judge, probably newly appointed, just said that a mere global pandemic wasn't reason to postpone an election or move to mailed-in ballots. oh and chicago isn't even counting some mailed-in ballots either, saying they took too long. hooray

i hope they're giving out dying to vote stickers instead of i voted

it's probably not a bad idea to make it really hard to move election dates around, although what you're showing is that the polling place was closed? the mailed-in part of your story is hosed. Sounds extremely cook county though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

President Beep posted:

“dear professor sagebrush,

please stop sending your students to the bookstore to ask for EDMs”

the bookstore asked me years ago "hey, we're expanding our offerings of class supplies and equipment beyond just stationery and lab notebooks, is there anything you'd like us to keep in stock?" and i was like HELL YEAH it would be great if the students didn't have to go to these specialty tooling suppliers, please buy 50 of these tungsten carbide end mills and a whole pile of sandpaper and body filler and they were like :chloe: and i never heard back.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
a note just got slipped under my door that "confirmed cases are now within the operational footprint of management" which I suppose is management speak for "someone in your building tested positive"

:yotj:

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Hed posted:

it's probably not a bad idea to make it really hard to move election dates around, although what you're showing is that the polling place was closed? the mailed-in part of your story is hosed. Sounds extremely cook county though.

yeah, a lot of people are reporting the volunteers responsible for staffing just didn't show up at all, no answer to phone calls or questions about it. voters are either completely disenfranchised here, or able to vote at the risk of their health

i think an exception can be made to move the elections due to the huge health risk

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bhodi posted:

a note just got slipped under my door that "confirmed cases are now within the operational footprint of management" which I suppose is management speak for "someone in your building tested positive"

That's extreme Manager language lol

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

the bookstore asked me years ago "hey, we're expanding our offerings of class supplies and equipment beyond just stationery and lab notebooks, is there anything you'd like us to keep in stock?" and i was like HELL YEAH it would be great if the students didn't have to go to these specialty tooling suppliers, please buy 50 of these tungsten carbide end mills and a whole pile of sandpaper and body filler and they were like :chloe: and i never heard back.

You were supposed to say clickers

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Bhodi posted:

did you eat the note?

Asleep Style posted:

You were supposed to say clickers

lmao/cursed

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Sagebrush posted:

lol the university just decided we're teaching online for the rest of the semester (third week of may). that's gonna work just great for wood shop and cnc machining and all that poo poo.

just call the school year over already. this poo poo is hosed

finally it's second lifes time to shine in education

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Bhodi posted:

they speak like people whose decision-making apparatuses are within the operational footprint of their backends

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

That's extreme Manager language lol

lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Sagebrush posted:

lol the university just decided we're teaching online for the rest of the semester (third week of may). that's gonna work just great for wood shop and cnc machining and all that poo poo.

just call the school year over already. this poo poo is hosed

yeah its pretty zany. My niece is (was??) graduating SF State this semester and they cancelled the ceremony and all her classes are online and it's not clear if she will actually graduate and the whole thing is just nuts

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zlodo posted:

they speak like people whose decision-making apparatuses are within the operational footprint of their backends

they've entered an entirely new, intestinally based plane of reality.

my piece of us fedgov went to a/b teams on alternating weeks but they also called out a number of conditions as "high risk" and my type 1 diabetes lands me there so i'm on isolation for the next two weeks at least.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

rotor posted:

yeah its pretty zany. My niece is (was??) graduating SF State this semester and they cancelled the ceremony and all her classes are online and it's not clear if she will actually graduate and the whole thing is just nuts

there's at least one school i'm aware of that will mail diplomas and plans to let graduates walk the stage at any future ceremony they want to attend.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

meanwhile, in america

~my girlfriend~ posted:

They have a new guy here training and he's coughing and sneezing. He's wearing a mask but not covering his nose with it. He said he has a smokers cough and they're taking his word on it

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
The ice cream truck is out driving around WTF

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
i'm honestly not sure if i'll get to graduate this semester, the university is shut down until the end of march but i feel like they're gonna extend that. maybe i'll be able to present my thesis remotely from my bedroom, jacket and tie up top and nothing below. feel like that'd increase my power

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm kind of wondering what all the California schools are going to do; this isn't exactly a state with a lot of snow days built into the calendars and even then this feels like a pretty big break to throw in

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

no one wants to come out and admit it but the rumbling behind the scenes is that the 2019-20 k-12 school year is just over. it only had three months left anyway and 2 of those at least are gonna be shot.

it's theoretically a bit different for post-secondary because college students at least in theory can sit through an online course but idk. idk

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i wonder if it's going to affect school in the fall too. a vaccine is probably at least six months away, more likely a year to 18 months

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Sagebrush posted:

no one wants to come out and admit it but the rumbling behind the scenes is that the 2019-20 k-12 school year is just over. it only had three months left anyway and 2 of those at least are gonna be shot.

it's theoretically a bit different for post-secondary because college students at least in theory can sit through an online course but idk. idk

yeah everyone who's been saying this is gonna be over in a couple of weeks hasn't been paying attention

i admire their optimism but no way this is over before june. and that's me being extremely optimistic. imo everyone should be mentally prepared for this lasting into autumn

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

PIZZA.BAT posted:

yeah everyone who's been saying this is gonna be over in a couple of weeks hasn't been paying attention

i admire their optimism but no way this is over before june. and that's me being extremely optimistic. imo everyone should be mentally prepared for this lasting into autumn
in six months things might start to begin to move back to normal

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Zlodo posted:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Broken Machine posted:

i wonder if it's going to affect school in the fall too. a vaccine is probably at least six months away, more likely a year to 18 months

yeah, and then we get to a point where we are arguably denying a lot of kids a useful education. very little is obvious here.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
like having a war but without the physical destruction

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think this is the new normal and wouldn't even count on things being better in a permanent way in autumn

I think our best bet is some kind of effective treatment regimen we can ramp up until there's a vaccine

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

TOOT BOOT posted:

I think this is the new normal and wouldn't even count on things being better in a permanent way in autumn

I think our best bet is some kind of effective treatment regimen we can ramp up until there's a vaccine

the treatment regimen is the same as the flu (lay in bed and feel like poo poo till your body defeats it) except when you stop being able to breathe, in which case it is a ventilator. There might never be a vaccine and we need to act like there wont ever be one.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
so far working from home is great and i want to do it forever

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Stereotype posted:

so far working from home is great and i want to do it forever

wfh without a strong social support network is absolute death from madness. Don't be too excited about it unless you are planning to take specific steps to see other humans on a regular basis.

CLASS 2 PERVERSION
Jan 19, 2010
I've worked from home for two days now and I'm already driven to posting instead of lurking

CLASS 2 PERVERSION
Jan 19, 2010
that was the post

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

wfh without a strong social support network is absolute death from madness. Don't be too excited about it unless you are planning to take specific steps to see other humans on a regular basis.

I have a roommate and my fiance (knock on wood, she flies back tomorrow) so I'll be okay I think.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Jonny 290 posted:

yup. i lived this life when i was in dc with almost no friends and i regularly idealized suicide. moving back to pittsburgh where i actually have a social life again was the best move i ever made.

i remember what it was like being cooped up for weeks at a time and i am not looking forward to it. at all.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

the gubmit already trying to get location data from FAANG, which of course will be permanent. instead of doing unpleasant threats or above board paperwork that can be FOIA'd or back door agreements we're going to have bipartisan 100% legal above board surveillance 24/7

CLASS 2 PERVERSION
Jan 19, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah this is really true. I swear I used to be able to go weeks without human contact but now I can't do 48 hours

CLASS 2 PERVERSION
Jan 19, 2010

PIZZA.BAT posted:

yup. i lived this life ... almost no friends and i regularly idealized suicide.

oh yeah that too

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

imo as a guy who worked exclusively from home for like 7 years, posting does not count as "seeing other humans on a regular basis"

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah cabin fever is real. I live in a commuter town that tends to be quiet as all hell after 6pm so now that the weather is turning nice I'm getting a lot of walking in. seems to be holding it off. couple of my friends in the service industry have been laid off so it's gonna be shooting the poo poo and drinkin beers online all night erry night from now on until either the all-clear or the eschaton

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

CLASS 2 PERVERSION posted:

I've worked from home for two days now and I'm already driven to posting instead of lurking

jesus the bad news just does not quit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Stereotype posted:

the treatment regimen is the same as the flu (lay in bed and feel like poo poo till your body defeats it) except when you stop being able to breathe, in which case it is a ventilator. There might never be a vaccine and we need to act like there wont ever be one.

i've been sore and had a sporadic headache for the last few days and idk if it's just the stress and sitting around on my rear end or if i've got the plague and am one of those (nearly) asymptomatic carriers

CLASS 2 PERVERSION posted:

yeah this is really true. I swear I used to be able to go weeks without human contact but now I can't do 48 hours

same. if you'd told me in seventh grade that when i grew up i would need to be around people to stay happy i would have said you were insane. but after years of teaching and just general maturity, yeah, i go stir crazy if i sit around at home for more than a weekend. summer vacation can be surprisingly rough

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 18, 2020