Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

i've been sore and had a sporadic headache for the last few days and idk if it's just the stress and sitting around on my rear end or if i've got the plague and am one of those (nearly) asymptomatic carriers
do you get allergies? because if the thick layer of yellow pollen on my car every morning is any indication, we are balls deep in allergy season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

FMguru posted:

do you get allergies? because if the thick layer of yellow pollen on my car every morning is any indication, we are balls deep in allergy season

the mix of pandemic and the start of spring allergies owns

y'all ever just clear a city block by sneezing

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Kazinsal posted:

the mix of pandemic and the start of spring allergies owns

yeah its pretty great. Every time i cough I'm thinkin "well, i had a good run."

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

Every time i cough I'm thinkin "well, i had a good run."
did you really, though?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

FMguru posted:

did you really, though?

please, just let me have this

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what are we gonna call this disease when it becomes an annual thing? according to china we can't use catchy names like wuhan flu any more and it's not even clear whether it came from bats or what so we can't call it bat flu. i'm guessing we'll just drop the -19 and start treating it like a word and it will be "oh, grandma died of covid back in '21"

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

we'll only need to stop using stuff like boomer-b-gone when we finally run out of boomers

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
the name is coronavirus because that's what everyone calls it. covid-19 is some bullshit that in fact just means "coronavirus from 2019" even though we only started caring in 2020

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

what are we gonna call this disease when it becomes an annual thing? according to china we can't use catchy names like wuhan flu any more and it's not even clear whether it came from bats or what so we can't call it bat flu. i'm guessing we'll just drop the -19 and start treating it like a word and it will be "oh, grandma died of covid back in '21"

it's sars 2; idk what snappy name we'll end up with, but i think roni / rona is gaining traction

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
sars 2: pneumonic boogaloo

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

coronavirus
coronavirus harder
coronavirus with a vengeance

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
tecatevirus

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
chimayvirus is going to be hosed

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

it's funny that corona is pretty much dead as a brand due to this

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

CLASS 2 PERVERSION posted:

I've worked from home for two days now and I'm already driven to posting instead of lurking

:rip:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Broken Machine posted:

i was just thinking about this

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Jonny 290 posted:

wfh without a strong social support network is absolute death from madness. Don't be too excited about it unless you are planning to take specific steps to see other humans on a regular basis.
Ya'll laughed at me when I got a house with 5 bedrooms so I could live with adult roommates.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Broken Machine posted:

there was a big Australian office fitout company called ISIS, they ended up changing

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

ShadowHawk posted:

Ya'll laughed at me when I got a house with 5 bedrooms so I could live with adult roommates.

thats like the gooniest solution to maintaining regular human contact, so yes, we did

CLASS 2 PERVERSION
Jan 19, 2010
my workplace has a "post your battlestation" slack channel now

people have a lot more halo figurines on their desks at home than I would have thought

that's fine though, liking things is nice

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

echinopsis posted:

hate it all. the regulations that are necessary are giving me reason to work from 6am till 8pm to get it ready. I feel so overwhelmed and snowed under and there’s no reprieve, it’s important stuff that needs to get to help the community so I can keep chugging but I hate it all lol

hey man you're doing important work

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

ShadowHawk posted:

lol

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

on some level this hasn't quite sunk in for me. we're just at the start and only a hundred or so have died from it so far in the us. most people are just starting to understand the impact of this.

today they closed all the restaurants here aside from carryout or delivery, and a lot of them may never open again. the colleges have all shut here and students are going home, and some of them won't be coming back. ~1 in 5 people are already out of work across the nation, and most everyone in tech is hunkered down working at home. and there's a hugely contested election looming on the horizon as well in the middle of all of this. i wonder how it's all going to end and hope we end up okay

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Broken Machine posted:

on some level this hasn't quite sunk in for me. we're just at the start and only a hundred or so have died from it so far in the us. most people are just starting to understand the impact of this.

today they closed all the restaurants here aside from carryout or delivery, and a lot of them may never open again. the colleges have all shut here and students are going home, and some of them won't be coming back. ~1 in 5 people are already out of work across the nation, and most everyone in tech is hunkered down working at home. and there's a hugely contested election looming on the horizon as well in the middle of all of this. i wonder how it's all going to end and hope we end up okay

Yeah I really hope all this stuff works.

Italy's graph is starting to turn over maybe?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

all the college towns that sent students home are fuuuucked on the census for the next decade

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
It feels really not important right now but it's bullshit that Florida and Illinois still had their primary elections today. No one went to vote, no one is paying attention to that poo poo. If this ever ends and the DNC is parading around Biden as the chosen one since he "won" when only old morons were leaving their houses I'm going to be upset and certainly am not voting for him.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Stereotype posted:

Italy's graph

mannaggia arachidi

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Stereotype posted:

It feels really not important right now but it's bullshit that Florida and Illinois still had their primary elections today. No one went to vote, no one is paying attention to that poo poo. If this ever ends and the DNC is parading around Biden as the chosen one since he "won" when only old morons were leaving their houses I'm going to be upset and certainly am not voting for him.

the worst part is the elderly poll workers; a lot of them are sweet old ladies and men who are going to die as a direct result of this. it makes me angry and sad that people in charge are yet again pushing profits over people

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/1239531108175237120

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Broken Machine posted:

~1 in 5 people are already out of work across the nation

?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i don't mean entirely unemployed, but about 20% of people are working less now, and a bunch of them are just out of work. if you're a small business owner or employee and you're not an essential service, a lot of places have already ordered those businesses closed. even restaurants that are still open for carryout, their business is way down and all their front house staff is mostly out of work completely

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/17/817158521/poll-nearly-1-in-5-households-have-lost-work-because-of-pandemic

apparently here they have to apply for unemployment in person or by phone, and the offices are closed and no one is on the phone so people affected are just out of luck for now as far as benefits

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil
Downtown Seattle is totally deserted. It's very strange.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's actually pretty nice how quiet it is. i had my back door open all day today and for most of it all i heard was wind in the leaves.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Broken Machine posted:

this is, in fact, not true

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if nothing else, the brand will be held up by chuds holding corona parties specifically to stick it to the doctors

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

this is, in fact, not true

yeah but it's nice to have something that's blatantly false in there with the believable-ish doom and gloom that yospos loves. it helps me remember that this forum is pessimistic beyond what is reasonable and treat its apocalyptic predictions appropriately

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FMguru posted:

that’s the obvious poo poo mate but don’t worry allergy season is literally half the year, as different flowers bloom at different times and some people are bad at start of spring but some not till end of summer. or some lucky fuckers bad all year

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DELETE CASCADE posted:

the name is coronavirus because that's what everyone calls it. covid-19 is some bullshit that in fact just means "coronavirus from 2019" even though we only started caring in 2020

covid-19 is the name of the disease you get from being infected with the novel coronavirus which has some name like SARS-CoV-2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Achmed Jones posted:

yeah but it's nice to have something that's blatantly false in there with the believable-ish doom and gloom that yospos loves. it helps me remember that this forum is pessimistic beyond what is reasonable and treat its apocalyptic predictions appropriately

what if we were right for once though.

the Great Panic was last Wednesday. on Tuesday I had a dozen people in real life tell me that it was fine if my fiancé traveled to London for two weeks. if I had listened to people here she wouldn’t have gone. I spent $500 to get her out of there on Sunday to New York and got a free flight change back to Hawaii tomorrow. I should have listened to goons last week though and it’s making me go crazy because if you listen to us all now I need to go get a gun.